Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:13:28 pm by jbcarol
Weidmer: If the University of Arkansas is smart, Gruden will be coming into your living room from the Razorbacks sideline this fall, returning as a head coach for the first time since he was fired from the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the close of the 2008 season.

Gruden jokingly (we think) told the clinic, "The only coaching job I could get when I was fired by the Bucs was an assistant offensive line coach at a local high school."

But if he's spoken to the Razorbacks about their opening, Gruden isn't saying.

QuoteIt's Friday evening inside Thompson-Boling Arena, and Jon Gruden has more than 350 football coaches in town for the University of Tennessee's annual coaching clinic on the edge of their padded seats.

"Tempo!" Monday Night Football's color guy shouts with both enthusiasm and authority. "Tempo is where football is going, and it scares me a little bit. The ball's being snapped before the defense is ready. If you're an offensive coach, I plead with you, play faster."

Behind him, a giant screen begins showing individual plays from West Virginia's 70-33 pummeling of Clemson in January's Orange Bowl.

"If you're an opposing coach," Gruden continues, "you can't do anything but scream at your assistants."

At that moment, Clemson's Dabo Swinney is seen yelling at defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, who was fired shortly after the game.

In the audience, a few chuckles break out...

"John Daly's called me about it," Gruden said with a grin, referring to the professional golfer and Arkansas native. "But I haven't heard from the school."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Ftsmithmike

If we find out he is willing but Long never contacted him then Long should be hung by his balls from Old Main.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

ark30inf

I assume John Daly can get Long's phone number....apparently he already has Gruden's.

BloodRedHog

April 15, 2012, 03:11:52 pm #3 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:14:37 pm by BloodRedHog
Makes no sense....there is no school, fanbase or recruits to anger....unless Long wants to stay discreet since Gruden could say no...or maybe communication has been solely between go-betweens...it can't be that JL has ruled out Gruden...maybe he is waiting for Grobe to return his call?
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

ADinWaiting

I stated it last week and was laughed at...
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

ADinWaiting

Quote from: ark30inf on April 15, 2012, 03:11:38 pm
I assume John Daly can get Long's phone number....apparently he already has Gruden's.
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

porkaholics anonymous

ADinWaiting

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on April 15, 2012, 03:09:24 pm
If we find out he is willing but Long never contacted him then Long should be hung by his balls from Old Main.
But I'm sure this would be Gruden falling into his lap right?

porkaholics anonymous

Philip Seaton

Doesn't surprise me in the least that he hasn't be contacted. No surprise at all. Would be homer, but alias not going to get that kind of hire I am afraid.

farmhawg

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on April 15, 2012, 03:09:24 pm
I will get the rope...Someone else get to "loop" 'em.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ADinWaiting

Quote from: Two wrongs don't make a D'Nerian Wrighter on April 15, 2012, 03:16:08 pm
Doesn't surprise me in the least that he hasn't be contacted. No surprise at all. Would be homer, but alias not going to get that kind of hire I am afraid.
If he is coming it won't be until December. That is when a permanent coach will be hired.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

If Long doesnt at least try to talk to him I say we strap his ass to a pole and let everybody kick him in the nards!!!!!!!
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

PonderinHog

Quote from: Two wrongs don't make a D'Nerian Wrighter on April 15, 2012, 03:16:08 pm
If he wants to use an alias, I have no problem calling him Chuckie! ;D

ark30inf

Quote from: str8volfan on April 15, 2012, 03:10:42 pm
Oh Good Lord, get serious. Forgive me for saying this but if he wasnt interested in ND or Florida, he darned sure aint coming here. Wow.

Was Notre Dame #5 in the country?  Just asking.

ADinWaiting

Oh Good Lord, get serious. Forgive me for saying this but if he wasnt interested in ND or Florida, he darned sure aint coming here. Wow.
Because recently ND is where coaches careers go down the tube.

AchieveHog

Quote from: ark30inf on April 15, 2012, 03:21:47 pm

Not even close,they were awful, and still are.

batmanfan

What makes Gruden "that kind of hire"?

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

nonamer66

I think he is over rated. I've read more about him on wikipedia and he just doesn't impress me. His name is popular, only because of the nfl and espn relationships he has.

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: Hoglius Caesar on April 15, 2012, 03:13:44 pm
But I'm sure this would be Gruden falling into his lap right?

If Long hires Gruden I will personally donate all the gold fillings from my mouth toward his statue. If Gruden goes 0-12 his first season I would call the Hogs toward the east five times a day everyday because I know it will get better every year until we win a NC. So basically I will feel the dame about a Gruden Hire that I did about a Petrino hire.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

cmpledger

Gruden has proven he can win championships with other peoples teams. He did it with Tony Dungys Bucs so why not win a college NC with bobby petrinos razorbacks

Rooka

Quote from: nonamer66 on April 15, 2012, 03:32:44 pm
I think he is over rated. I've read more about him on wikipedia and he just doesn't impress me. His name is popular, only because of the nfl and espn relationships he has.
and a Super Bowl because of this...
Quote from: cmpledger on April 15, 2012, 03:34:51 pm
Gruden has proven he can win championships with other peoples teams. He did it with Tony Dungys Bucs so why not win a college NC with bobby petrinos razorbacks

hardtimes79

popular name is one of the big keys to recruiting.  Theres not a recruit who wouldnt instantly know him.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

HF#1

He won a Super Bowl...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Is it really that more far fetched than Phil Fulmer?  It would be disappointing if Long didn't at least make a phone call..  He is available.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

rljjr

Quote from: BloodRedHog on April 15, 2012, 03:11:52 pm
Makes no sense....there is no school, fanbase or recruits to anger....unless Long wants to stay discreet since Gruden could say no...or maybe communication has been solely between go-betweens...it can't be that JL has ruled out Gruden...maybe he is waiting for Grobe to return his call?

Uh, how about you don't conduct that kind of business out in the open? How about Gruden has a day job and you don't want to embarrass him publicly? How about you don't want to embarrass the school if you can't get him?

I don't have any idea if he's been -- or will be -- contacted, but some of the anti-Long stuff is really, really ignorant and short sighted.

nonamer66

April 15, 2012, 03:45:03 pm #26 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:47:16 pm by nonamer66
Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 03:38:29 pm
He won a Super Bowl...

he also has a record of 95 wins, 81 loses   .540 avg

that was dungy's team that won the superbowl.

doesn't impress me. I think gruden could mess up the chemistry of this staff if he came in this year. I'm all for him taking the job but I'd rather him stay in the coaches box for this season.

aloha_kid

Quote from: ark30inf on April 15, 2012, 03:21:47 pm

nope but it was still Notre Dame.

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: nonamer66 on April 15, 2012, 03:45:03 pm

doesn't impress me. I think gruden could mess up the chemistry of this staff if he came in this year. I'm all for him taking the job but I'd rather him stay in the coaches box for this season.

Then you should remand nameless so as to hide your shame.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Richard_white

Gruden?  We can only be lucky enough.  Long make the call.

Cale

Quote from: Hoglius Caesar on April 15, 2012, 03:12:14 pm
I stated it last week and was laughed at...
that sucks that people wouldn't take this seriously. hes been at or near the top of my list since tuesday evening, the dude can coach. has lots of NFL experience, and would fit right in here. Lets get it done.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

HF#1

Quote from: nonamer66 on April 15, 2012, 03:45:03 pm

It's tough to win in the NFL for a long period of time.  Imagine him walking into the living room of recruits.  He would have an impact that Saban only wishes he had.  Every 18 year old kid knows who Jon Gruden is and would jump at the opportunity to play for him. 

It would be like hiring Calipari in basketball without the cheating.   He would be a pipeline to the NFL and at the end of the day, that is what the elite players want.

Kenny Sowers

I would believe the Gruden talk before I would believe the Pete Carroll talk.
CMA "We're going to pick them up when they get off the damn bus", in reference to guarding the other team.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Own show on ESPN, Color analyst on Monday Night Football, Lives in Tampa, FL, and makes 4.3 million a year (including incentives)

Don't get your hopes up.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 03:48:13 pm
It's tough to win in the NFL for a long period of time.  Imagine him walking into the living room of recruits.  He would have an impact that Saban only wishes he had.  Every 18 year old kid knows who Jon Gruden is and would jump at the opportunity to play for him. 

It would be like hiring Calipari in basketball without the cheating.   He would be a pipeline to the NFL and at the end of the day, that is what the elite players want.
Boom!

Nipsey Mussle

So far this week I've seen posters bash Pete Carroll and Jon Gruden. Truly, we have to be the dumbest fanbase. Maybe Auburn has us beat?

Sivad

Quote from: Richard_white on April 15, 2012, 03:47:54 pm
Long make the call.
The fact that he hasn't speaks volumes about Long.

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: gguillo on April 15, 2012, 03:48:56 pm
Own show on ESPN, Color analyst on Monday Night Football, Lives in Tampa, FL, and makes 4.3 million a year (including incentives)

Don't get your hopes up.

Can you link that 4.3 mil figure?

RazorbackJunkie

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 03:38:29 pm
He won a Super Bowl...

He built a championship caliber team in Oakland. They we're in the same super bowl.

silverandbluedc

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 03:48:13 pm

Not to mention that when he talks to these kids, as evidenced in his QB camp shows, he is really positive and has a way of making these kids feel great about their game. I think he would play quite well in living rooms around the nation. He would then take 4 and 5 star athletes and teach them how to be the best.

nonamer66

Quote from: helmuthjr21 on April 15, 2012, 03:50:15 pm
So far this week I've seen posters bash Pete Carroll and Jon Gruden. Truly, we have to be the dumbest fanbase. Maybe Auburn has us beat?

I'm not bashing Jon Gruden. I like both of these coaches, but I worry that if they are hired for this season it would spell trouble for us. The players want things to remain the same this year. I'll take either one of those coaches for next season.

HF#1

Anyone in college football with a job opening, he should be one of their first calls.  All he can do is say no. 

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: nonamer66 on April 15, 2012, 03:53:13 pm
I'm not bashing Jon Gruden. I like both of these coaches, but I worry that if they are hired for this season it would spell trouble for us. The players want things to remain the same this year. I'll take either one of those coaches for next season.

Troll thy name is noname.

GalaHawg

Funny - the Petrino story has started like this too, remember? Petrino had interest but Long did not contact him long after?

Long may get a second lucky break - another big name falling in his lap.

kingofdequeen

The fact that you rubes think he or his representation hasnt been contacted by the UA is funny.

silverandbluedc

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 03:53:15 pm
Anyone in college football with a job opening, he should be one of their first calls.  All he can do is say no. 

Exactly. Make him push the money away and say no.

Mike_e

Pass on PC but Gruden (though highly unlikely) would be a grand slam.

You wonder if JL remembers high school and that the hardest part about dating a pretty girl is asking her out.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2012, 03:54:45 pm
The fact that you rubes think he or his representation hasnt been contacted by the UA is funny.

It's possible that the process of making contact has not yet begun. I'm cool with it taking time. As Long as no one is in Augusta.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on April 15, 2012, 03:51:05 pm
Can you link that 4.3 mil figure?
we could match it i bet. if he's EVER gonna get back in, now is the time and we are the place!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang