Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greasy_corner

I have no idea if he would be a good hire or not, but I do hope that if he takes the AR job that he personally speak to each and everyone at ESPN about his departure.  From the CEO down to cleaning lady.  Flowers to all the females, and Collin Cowherd would be a nice touch also.

That way, they won't get their panties in a wad.

nonamer66

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on April 15, 2012, 03:54:10 pm
Troll thy name is noname.

the name calling is getting pretty old around here. please define for me what the hell "troll" means when it comes to hogville.

HF#1

When Petrino was hired it was as much of long shot as Gruden would be.   Throw an offer at him and see what sticks.  Long has nothing to lose by making the call. 

Him saying he has not heard from the university doesn't mean his agent hasn't heard from them.

I'd start off with a 3-4 year deal at 5 mil per year.  That would probably make him think about it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

nosferatu

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 03:38:29 pm
He won a Super Bowl...

with someone else's players. what did he do in the NFL after that?
"When you're on the mound and you feel like you can murder someone's soul out there, failure isn't an option." - Brian Wilson

silverandbluedc

It would have been easy for Gruden to say "I haven't heard from the the U of A, but I am not interested because I am happy at ESPN." He didn't. Call him, show the money, and offer!

Cale

Sorrry folks, Pete Carroll is not the man we want on the hill. He has questionable character issues with his history at USCw. Winner or not, we have to take someone with a clean record in the problems dept. I truly believe we can find someone with good character and who is also a winner. Otherwise we're just going to have egg on our face when we hire the person.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Cale on April 15, 2012, 04:01:12 pm
Sorrry folks, Pete Carroll is not the man we want on the hill. He has questionable character issues with his history at USCw. Winner or not, we have to take someone with a clean record in the problems dept. I truly believe we can find someone with good character and who is also a winner. Otherwise we're just going to have egg on our face when we hire the person.
Lol wut?

HF#1

Quote from: nosferatu on April 15, 2012, 03:58:32 pm

I'm sure he had nothing to do with that super bowl.  Did he not also have the Raiders on the brink of a super bowl?  I know what his NFL record is.  I stand by my statement that it's not easy to win in the NFL for long periods of time. 

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Batesville Hogfan

Gruden has no meaningful major college coaching experience.....tell me again why he's a slam dunk hire?

Marshfieldhog

Fire Jeff long and make John daly the ad

twistitup

This thread is about Gruden D/A
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ark30inf

If it actually came down to Pete Carroll or a nun I think we would take Pete Carroll and keep an eye on him.

HF#1

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on April 15, 2012, 04:03:10 pm
Gruden has no meaningful major college coaching experience.....tell me again why he's a slam dunk hire?

Good coach + instant impact in recruiting...  He's won a Super Bowl, that right there is enough for me.

ADinWaiting

Quote from: nosferatu on April 15, 2012, 03:58:32 pm
How do you win a Super Bowl with other coaches players? Players are signed to contracts with the team. Coaches come and go, players stay in the NFL. Not college.
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

PonderinHog

PorkerOinker

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 04:04:34 pm
Good coach + instant impact in recruiting...  He's won a Super Bowl, that right there is enough for me.

My only worry with Gruden is if he has 3-4 good years he might boot back to the NFL. Then we are right back where we are.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Batesville Hogfan

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 04:04:34 pm

So has Bill Parcells and Barry Switzer.....

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkerOinker on April 15, 2012, 04:06:07 pm
My only worry with Gruden is if he has 3-4 good years he might boot back to the NFL. Then we are right back where we are.
And Garrick has honored his contract at UAB.

Richard_white

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on April 15, 2012, 04:03:10 pm

He coaches two years in college. As as a QB and WR coach.  What experience does he need?  Recruiting?  That's why HC's have assistants and a recruiting coordinator.

HF#1

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on April 15, 2012, 04:06:22 pm
So has Bill Parcells and Barry Switzer.....

Ok.. What is your point?  Both are great coaches.

ADinWaiting

Petrino didn't win in the NFL. If he did it would've been with Mora's players? That argument just doesn't work.
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

PonderinHog

Quote from: Richard_white on April 15, 2012, 04:07:08 pm
He coaches two years in college. As as a QB and WR coach.  What experience does he need?  Recruiting?  That's why HC's have assistants and a recruiting coordinator.
He'd make a helluva closer...

HF#1

But we likely have more hardware than we did before...

silverandbluedc

I'll take 3-4 good years. If he does the job well enough to get an NFL gig, we are set up nicely to get any coach we want after him.

ADinWaiting

People don't realize the restrictions on a head coach in recruiting.

Batesville Hogfan

Quote from: hogfan#1 on April 15, 2012, 04:07:37 pm
Ok.. What is your point?  Both are great coaches.
My point is just because you've won a super bowl doesn't make you a good hire for us....would you want either of those names?

PORKULATOR

I heard JL was gonna offer the job to John Pelfrey for a bargin. He only gets every other hire right. This one should suck.
I don't want to see any of the current staff leave so I'm hoping we hire from within til December anyway. No telling who will be available then.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

HF#1

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on April 15, 2012, 04:20:20 pm
My point is just because you've won a super bowl doesn't make you a good hire for us....would you want either of those names?

Bill Parcells or Barry Switzer?  You better believe I would. 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: str8volfan on April 15, 2012, 03:10:42 pm
Oh Good Lord, get serious. Forgive me for saying this but if he wasnt interested in ND or Florida, he darned sure aint coming here. Wow.
thats the dumbass VOL coming out in you....the UT job and total situation was TOXIC because of the NCAA violations that STILL are wafting around Knoxville....fella, we have 5 maybe 6 Billionaires who back our program.....thats buh buh buh buh b as in billionaires....I know you find it difficult to believe but Gruden wouldn't even listen to a sales pitch from the Vols, he would, however, from Arkansas
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Batesville Hogfan

Mike Sherman was a successful HC in Green Bay, how did things turn out for him at Texas A&M???

College is a different game, we need someone who's proven they can win on the college level.

Iwastherein1969

April 15, 2012, 04:26:16 pm #80 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:28:23 pm by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: silverandbluedc on April 15, 2012, 04:08:21 pm

this is like saying, I don't want the ONE and DONE basketball player because he might leave early...good lord man, we'll cross that bridge when we get there and have a couple or 3 SEC CHAMPS in hand and maybe a NC
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HOGKING

Quote from: nonamer66 on April 15, 2012, 03:45:03 pm
he also has a record of 95 wins, 81 loses   .540 avg

that was dungy's team that won the superbowl.

doesn't impress me. I think gruden could mess up the chemistry of this staff if he came in this year. I'm all for him taking the job but I'd rather him stay in the coaches box for this season.

Yeah he beat his  Raiders team in the Superbowl that year

PigTimePlayer

Gruden would be a grand slam.  I have no idea if there's any chance, but he certainly left the door open with those comments.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

MTBrookHog

I say let's get John Daly to tell Gruden to come play some golf with him in NWA. When Daly gets him there, take him to Long's office and lock the door. Then tell them he will let them out when the contract is signed!

hogchic2001

April 15, 2012, 04:41:31 pm #84 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:43:15 pm by hogchic2001
On his wikipedia page it says we are interested in talking to him about the head coach position. (according to ESPN). FWIW.
Go HOGS Go!

ADinWaiting

Quote from: HOGKING on April 15, 2012, 04:29:07 pm

Yeah he beat his  Raiders team in the Superbowl that year
Exactly. They aren't the coaches players they are the organizations players. That is like saying Pujols went to the Angels to play for Scioscia or Mario Williams going to play in Buffalo for Chan Gailey. The Manning situation is different, I would say yes he went to Denver because of Elway.

Smokehouse

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2012, 03:54:45 pm
The fact that you rubes think he or his representation hasnt been contacted by the UA is funny.

the way Gruden phrased that answer is actually giving me a lot of hope.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

ADinWaiting

Quote from: hogchic2001 on April 15, 2012, 04:41:31 pm
On his wikipedia page it says We are interested in talking to him about tge head coach position. (according to ESPN). FWIW.

hogchic2001

Go HOGS Go!

VBMark

Quote from: Two wrongs don't make a D'Nerian Wrighter on April 15, 2012, 03:16:08 pm
Doesn't surprise me in the least that he hasn't be contacted. No surprise at all. Would be homer, but alias not going to get that kind of hire I am afraid.

What's an "alias" got to do with anything?
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

pigfeet

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on April 15, 2012, 03:09:24 pm
If we find out he is willing but Long never contacted him then Long should be hung by his balls from Old Main.

^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

hogfan2000

April 15, 2012, 04:52:00 pm #91 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:56:07 pm by hogfan2000
Anyone that considers John Gruden a bad hire is an absolute idiot.  We are some 3 or 4 months before fall practice starts and we have no football coach.  There aren't many solutions to this fiasco petrino created but hiring a super bowl winning, quarterback show hosting, monster name guy they has z nickname chucky is as good a candidate as possible. It would heal the fanbase, make a national impact as far as recruiting is concerned, and most importantly give this team someone that they would immediately respond to as a whole. There are very few hires that fall in this category.

BartIV

Redhogs

Quote from: Batesville Hogfan on April 15, 2012, 04:25:59 pm
Mike Sherman was a successful HC in Green Bay, how did things turn out for him at Texas A&M???

College is a different game, we need someone who's proven they can win on the college level.
Pete Carroll, Lou Holtz, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino......all busts in the NFL...what's you point?
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: BartIV on April 15, 2012, 04:52:02 pm
In Jeff Long We Trust.
BART'S BACK!! Where you been man?? You missed a hell of a day. Still simmering.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ballhog™

Daly just tweeted to Long that he should hire Gruden...
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

justin2000m80

I myself would put Gruden in my top five pick.  He hasnt coached in a while so he doesnt have a staff...which means that there is a good chance he would keep part if not all of the current staff.  We are a far better job than Notre Dame.  Good facilities, good fan support, and team with a shot to win it all THIS YEAR.  I say we pay him more than ESPN does and go get him.  The other Id go for is Dungy, and actually Herm Edwards.  He had me ready to go when I heard him talk to the kids during the Under Armour game.

Hawgon

Quote from: ballhog on April 15, 2012, 04:56:15 pm
Daly just tweeted to Long that he should hire Gruden...

Ain't no way Preacher Long is going to hire someone who is friends with John Daly.

justin2000m80

Maybe JD could give him some pants and memberships to his golf courses. lol

jry04

Quote from: justin2000m80 on April 15, 2012, 04:58:47 pm
Maybe JD could give him some pants and memberships to his golf courses. lol
I don't think that would help any considering it is one of the worst golf courses in the state now.