Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apparently people think the basketball program is mediocre

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, October 25, 2017, 12:36:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADavisTheGOAT

Mike has proven he can fix things when they get bad. (Used to never win on the road or neutral site games) (Bad recruiting classes). Our program finally has stability and is something to get excited about for years to come since we have some nice recruiting classes lined up. These people were calling for MA's head because he had yet to make the NCAAT during his tenture. He finally made it to the big dance 2/3 years. Now these people are saying he should be making it to the Final 4 every year and making it to the Round of 32 is "mediocre". I'd love to hear your thoughts on this as well.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

widespreadsooie

Who's saying 2nd round is mediocre and we should be making final fours?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on October 25, 2017, 12:36:24 pm
Mike has proven he can fix things when they get bad. (Used to never win on the road or neutral site games) (Bad recruiting classes). Our program finally has stability and is something to get excited about for years to come since we have some nice recruiting classes lined up. These people were calling for MA's head because he had yet to make the NCAAT during his tenture. He finally made it to the big dance 2/3 years. Now these people are saying he should be making it to the Final 4 every year and making it to the Round of 32 is "mediocre". I'd love to hear your thoughts on this as well.

Program started getting well the day MA was hired. Culture immediately improved, even though it took longer to translate on the court than impatient fans expect. Fact is, Arkansas is the second-winningest program in the SEC behind only KY in the past 3 seasons. Hogs are still trending up, and that's a good thing that fans can and should rally around.

HossHog

I think that making the round of 32 is definitely an improvement. But I will be disappointed if we don't make the sweet 16 soon. All I'm asking for is gradual improvement like we have been seeing.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HossHog on October 25, 2017, 12:42:18 pm
I think that making the round of 32 is definitely an improvement. But I will be disappointed if we don't make the sweet 16 soon. All I'm asking for is gradual improvement like we have been seeing.

A team needs good, experienced guards and we have them.. this team could win 2 in the tournament..maybe more.. At least it feels good to have those thoughts.. been a long time since " hope reigns supreme" in BB... 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on October 25, 2017, 12:36:24 pm

Yes I get this vibe all the time.  It's ridiculous.  We should be focused on how we've been been in conference and since CMA has been here, we've been in the top half of the conference every year and many of the time top 4.  If the SEC wasn't so disrespected we would've made it in the tournament our NIT year and maybe even the year before when we were snubbed from the NIT but finished, I believe 6th in the conference. 

As far as raising the expectation, the expectation and high hopes are to make the tournament every year.  Whenever you're in the tournament anything can happen, so the important part is just being there every year. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 25, 2017, 12:41:03 pm
Program started getting well the day MA was hired. Culture immediately improved, even though it took longer to translate on the court than impatient fans expect. Fact is, Arkansas is the second-winningest program in the SEC behind only KY in the past 3 seasons. Hogs are still trending up, and that's a good thing that fans can and should rally around.

I think he's built the chicken and the golden eggs will fall over the next few years. 

Hawg Red

The_Iceman

We would have made a Sweet 16 if it wasn't for drawing UNC in the 2nd round both times. Oh, that and the refs.

Fan701

A lot of people expected success right away when MA came in, but the program was in a shambles.  Pelphrey was a big mistake.  It's taken longer than anyone wanted to bring us back to being a solid program, but I definitely see signs that we're on the mend, on the mend strongly, I think. Even with a terrible year in 2015-16, we are still the second winningest program in the SEC over the past three years behind only Kentucky.  The two best teams we've had since 1995 were last year and 2014-2015.  A lot of people who don't follow basketball closely don't realize this.  Maybe MA took longer to get us back into the thick of things because he followed the rules, didn't cut corners, did his job well but ethically, too.  I can't but respect that, especially in light of what's going down with the FBI investigation.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Fan701 on October 25, 2017, 04:03:18 pm
A lot of people expected success right away when MA came in, but the program was in a shambles.  Pelphrey was a big mistake.  It's taken longer than anyone wanted to bring us back to being a solid program, but I definitely see signs that we're on the mend, on the mend strongly, I think. Even with a terrible year in 2015-16, we are still the second winningest program in the SEC over the past three years behind only Kentucky.  The two best teams we've had since 1995 were last year and 2014-2015.  A lot of people who don't follow basketball closely don't realize this.  Maybe MA took longer to get us back into the thick of things because he followed the rules, didn't cut corners, did his job well but ethically, too.  I can't but respect that, especially in light of what's going down with the FBI investigation.

Yea and '15-16, we were middle of the pack.  That's all the wheels fall off bad.  Wish that was the worst football got. 

HawgHeadCheese

Only thing scares me this yr is we could possibly be down on depth. If Cook legal issues don't work themselves out and Garland doesn't get cleared that leaves us with just 10 scholarship players. If those they get cleared and we stay injury free we will be a elite 8 lock and a possible final four team depending how matchups are. I think we are a lot better than people think. We will be better at every single position this yr.

HogBeliever625

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 25, 2017, 02:09:16 pm
We would have made a Sweet 16 if it wasn't for drawing UNC in the 2nd round both times. Oh, that and the refs.
The UNC game last season will always go down as the game the officials robbed the Hogs of the elite 8. We would've beat butler easily in sweet 16. So MA should have that signature elite 8 run if the officials didn't decide that one.

TheRazorback500

I feel that we have more talent and experience on this team, which should keep most games from being decided by the refs. Good teams shake off bad calls and remain successful.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Pinto

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on October 25, 2017, 07:42:37 pm
The UNC game last season will always go down as the game the officials robbed the Hogs of the elite 8. We would've beat butler easily in sweet 16. So MA should have that signature elite 8 run if the officials didn't decide that one.

How can you say we would've beaten Butler "easily" when we barely won our 1st round matchup vs Seton Hall? Yes, the refs hurt us in the UNC game but you could also see the obvious talent gap especially at the end of the game in crunch time. We were a very inconsistent team last year. We could have went out and got smacked by 20 vs Butler just as "easily" as you say we could have beaten them...

Kevin

mike is doing exactly what I thought he would do. I did think he would have had us in 3 ncaa's not just 2
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Kevin on October 26, 2017, 08:34:18 am
mike is doing exactly what I thought he would do. I did think he would have had us in 3 ncaa's not just 2

I thought you were going straight to the baseball forum this season? What happened to that?

Kevin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 26, 2017, 08:59:23 am
I thought you were going straight to the baseball forum this season? What happened to that?

well, that is the sport we have a chance at winning a title.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

redneckfriend

Quote from: Fan701 on October 25, 2017, 04:03:18 pm

Thanks for the input Mike.

GuvHog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 25, 2017, 04:22:34 pm
Only thing scares me this yr is we could possibly be down on depth. If Cook legal issues don't work themselves out and Garland doesn't get cleared that leaves us with just 10 scholarship players. If those they get cleared and we stay injury free we will be a elite 8 lock and a possible final four team depending how matchups are. I think we are a lot better than people think. We will be better at every single position this yr.

The only issue with this team is in the lane. There are 2 big men on this team and that isn't enough. Gafford is 6'11" and Thompson is 6'9". The next tallest guy is maybe 6'8". The guards and small forwards are going to have to play exceptionally well for this team to go very far in the NCAA Tournament.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pigasaurus

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 25, 2017, 02:09:16 pm

Only way we don't get UNC again is if ptb are afraid we will knock them off this time.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Pinto

Quote from: GuvHog on October 26, 2017, 01:51:22 pm
The only issue with this team is in the lane. There are 2 big men on this team and that isn't enough. Gafford is 6'11" and Thompson is 6'9". The next tallest guy is maybe 6'8". The guards and small forwards are going to have to play exceptionally well for this team to go very far in the NCAA Tournament.

Actually Gabe is about 6'10 as well...

Dominicanhog

navyhog24

The_Iceman

rude1

Now I just want to see the program go to the next plateau, and that is getting into the tourney consistently, need to start string some appearances back to back to back to back. When you do that you at least give yourself a chance, because the tourney is about your draw and match ups which will go a long ways in determining how far you advance.

razorback1829

Quote from: Pinto on October 26, 2017, 04:31:58 pm
Actually Gabe is about 6'10 as well...

Seen in person multiple times.. 6'8 is the tallest I would maybe go.

hulk hog

Mike is 13-28 against ranked SEC Teams and schools from the power 5 basketball conferences including 2-8 last year.  Call it what you like. No doubt Mike has improved the program but there is still work to do.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

Pinto

Quote from: razorback1829 on October 26, 2017, 08:43:53 pm
Seen in person multiple times.. 6'8 is the tallest I would maybe go.

You must haven't seen him lately

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 26, 2017, 06:44:15 pm
Haha, no.

If you go to the game tomorrow, play close attention to him side by side with another player....

razorback1829

HogFoo

well, the team was meiocre for a bit.  Had talent but didnt go far.  and sometimes it didnt have talent and didnt go far.  When Mike came on board, things changed.  it would have been nice had he been able to come on a year or two earlier like he wanted and got all those guys we had ties too that went to mizz.. but he didnt.  He is here now though, and wouldnt ya know, the state has started producing high caliber bball talent like a mofo!  Heck, id probably guess without looking , we'd have to be a top 5 per capita producing state in bball talent!  without a doubt!  I heard bill ingram say one time that the reason for that was that the kids in state were trying to play bball instead of foootball.  That's just how it was.   but, it is producing a lot of talent for Mike.  Heck, if we could truly put a fence around the state, we'd have more than enough to fill our needs every year, barring the one or two bigs.  we dont seem to produce enough 'men' inside, but we got height, and everything else.   But yeah, for a while, maybe like 10yrs, we werent very good.. were in the has been category.   but, things have changed.   Things go in cycles, and we are trending up once again. Hopefully , we trend all the way up like Villanova did.    i think we are gonna have a wonderful season.  Sweet 16, and all the way to an elite 8.   My friend seems to think we'll definitely gof urther than that.  He has us locked for a final four.  very excited!   i am not quite that enthusiastic about the team just yet, i am waiting to see more games before ill make a forecast like that.  but, sweet 16 as a minimum is pretty good.  and if a few players like cj.jones, or trey thompson or adrio bailey build off of what they did last year, cj.jones being the real x-factor here, if he can just bring some magic and be a threat of any kind, then i think we'll have a great year just as my best friend predicts.    but yeah, we were mediocre , but no longer!  We are going to be viral skyrocketing up the top 25!  Nothing but upward bounds baby!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Pinto

hogsmash12

Quote from: HogFoo on October 27, 2017, 02:31:06 am
well, the team was meiocre for a bit.  Had talent but didnt go far.  and sometimes it didnt have talent and didnt go far.  When Mike came on board, things changed.  it would have been nice had he been able to come on a year or two earlier like he wanted and got all those guys we had ties too that went to mizz.. but he didnt.  He is here now though, and wouldnt ya know, the state has started producing high caliber bball talent like a mofo!  Heck, id probably guess without looking , we'd have to be a top 5 per capita producing state in bball talent!  without a doubt!  I heard bill ingram say one time that the reason for that was that the kids in state were trying to play bball instead of foootball.  That's just how it was.   but, it is producing a lot of talent for Mike.  Heck, if we could truly put a fence around the state, we'd have more than enough to fill our needs every year, barring the one or two bigs.  we dont seem to produce enough 'men' inside, but we got height, and everything else.   But yeah, for a while, maybe like 10yrs, we werent very good.. were in the has been category.   but, things have changed.   Things go in cycles, and we are trending up once again. Hopefully , we trend all the way up like Villanova did.    i think we are gonna have a wonderful season.  Sweet 16, and all the way to an elite 8.   My friend seems to think we'll definitely gof urther than that.  He has us locked for a final four.  very excited!   i am not quite that enthusiastic about the team just yet, i am waiting to see more games before ill make a forecast like that.  but, sweet 16 as a minimum is pretty good.  and if a few players like cj.jones, or trey thompson or adrio bailey build off of what they did last year, cj.jones being the real x-factor here, if he can just bring some magic and be a threat of any kind, then i think we'll have a great year just as my best friend predicts.    but yeah, we were mediocre , but no longer!  We are going to be viral skyrocketing up the top 25!  Nothing but upward bounds baby!

Love the message but use paragraphs with topic sentences....wps

rogersvillemohog

As Andrew Hutchinson pointed out several weeks ago on Twitter, a Round of 32 finish is equal (at least percentage wise) to a Top 12 finish in football. The perception is not the same, but it's still a big deal with where our program has been in the last 20 years to have to Top 32 finishes. Things are improving. Trust in Mike. Trust the process.
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

hobhog

Quote from: rogersvillemohog on October 28, 2017, 10:49:51 am
As Andrew Hutchinson pointed out several weeks ago on Twitter, a Round of 32 finish is equal (at least percentage wise) to a Top 12 finish in football. The perception is not the same, but it's still a big deal with where our program has been in the last 20 years to have to Top 32 finishes. Things are improving. Trust in Mike. Trust the process.

He just needs to dance every year from here on out. No misses.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Most people I am around, basketball is an afterthought. It will be that way until the hogs are consistently good and make some kind of real noise like a sweet 16. Just the way it is with most fans.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: rogersvillemohog on October 28, 2017, 10:49:51 am
Top 12? I doubt many would agree. Top 12 in football is pretty elite

HiggiePiggy

I would say round of 32 is like finishing in the top 25.  Round of 16 is like finishing in the top 10. Elite 8 is like getting in the top 5 and final 4 is like being in the playoffs or football. 

Remember you damn near have to be undefeated or have 1 loss to get into the football playoffs. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on October 27, 2017, 03:36:15 pm
Look at him side by side with Trey tonight...

And how tall do you think trey actually is?

tomw

actually it is 2 out of 5 years, or it is 6 now?  5 years is plenty of time to build a basketball program...we shall see what all these "stars" do on the court to see how good the recruiting is

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2017, 10:01:43 pm
And how tall do you think trey actually is?

6'9". Gabe is very long so I guess it just makes him look taller...

rogersvillemohog

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on October 30, 2017, 09:28:04 pm

I don't disagree with the perception part, but statistically being in the top 12 in football and the top 32 in basketball are the same in terms of percentages. Now, obviously there are a LOT more D-1 college basketball teams than D-1 football teams so the stat is inflated, but it's certainly not a fireable offense to finish in the top 32 in my opinion.
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

rwspear

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on October 30, 2017, 09:28:04 pm

it doesnt matter if they agree or not. math is math.

snf6278

Quote from: tomw on October 31, 2017, 10:44:07 am
actually it is 2 out of 5 years, or it is 6 now?  5 years is plenty of time to build a basketball program...we shall see what all these "stars" do on the court to see how good the recruiting is
Do you not realize how bad the program was when CMA got here? If you can't see the improvement then either you just don't like CMA or you live your life in doom and gloom. As has been alluded to by many on here, the program was basically on life support. Yes it took a little longer than most expected but we are now seeing the fruits of this staffs labors.

jabberjawls

Quote from: snf6278 on November 01, 2017, 09:35:17 am
Do you not realize how bad the program was when CMA got here? If you can't see the improvement then either you just don't like CMA or you live your life in doom and gloom. As has been alluded to by many on here, the program was basically on life support. Yes it took a little longer than most expected but we are now seeing the fruits of this staffs labors.
Ha Ha.  I have watched plenty and we are mediocre.  Have been since MA got here and will continue to be.  People have a short memory and a lot of excuses.  Just last year there were a lot on here wanting to get rid of him and then suddenly the team went on a little run.   If you go back and take an objective look at the entire history that MA has been here, you will recognize what i am saying.

cableguy

Quote from: jabberjawls on November 01, 2017, 03:50:05 pm
Ha Ha.  I have watched plenty and we are mediocre.  Have been since MA got here and will continue to be.  People have a short memory and a lot of excuses.  Just last year there were a lot on here wanting to get rid of him and then suddenly the team went on a little run.   If you go back and take an objective look at the entire history that MA has been here, you will recognize what i am saying.
I wasn't calling for MA head but I do remember questioning his in game management and some of the minutes he gave some player. It took him awhile to realize that last year team was better at playing zone than man. Wasn't it Oklahom State that beat us like we were a middle school team before he started coming around to playing more zone? I feel he is a good coach and that we have one of the better coaches in the SEC. 

jabberjawls

Quote from: cableguy on November 01, 2017, 04:17:43 pm
I wasn't calling for MA head but I do remember questioning his in game management and some of the minutes he gave some player. It took him awhile to realize that last year team was better at playing zone than man. Wasn't it Oklahom State that beat us like we were a middle school team before he started coming around to playing more zone? I feel he is a good coach and that we have one of the better coaches in the SEC. 
Based on what??

CapitalCityHawg

Quote from: jabberjawls on November 01, 2017, 04:49:38 pm
Based on what??

I have posted the below stats before but this is why I think Mike is a good coach and doing a good job here:

Stan Heath
2002-2003: 9-19 Overall; 4-12 Conference
2003-2004: 12-16 Overall; 4-12 Conference
2004-2005: 18-12 Overall; 6-10 Conference
2005-2006: 22-10 Overall; 10-6 Conference
2006-2007: 21-14 Overall; 7-9 Conference

Stan's Total: 82-71 Overall (.536); 31-49 Conference (.388)

John Pelphrey
2007-2008: 23-12 Overall; 9-7 Conference
2008-2009: 14-16 Overall; 2-14 Conference
2009-2010: 14-18 Overall; 7-9 Conference
2010-2011: 18-13 Overall; 7-9 Conference

John's Total: 69-59 Overall (.539); 25-39 Conference (.391)

Stan and Pelphrey Combined: 151-130 Overall (.537); 56-88 Conference (.389)

Mike Anderson
2011-2012: 18-14 Overall; 6-10 Conference
2012-2013: 19-13 Overall; 10-8 Conference
2013-2014: 22-12 Overall; 10-8 Conference
2014-2015: 27-9 Overall; 13-5 Conference
2015-2016: 16-16 Overall; 9-9 Conference
2016-2017: 26-10 Overall; 12-6 Conference

Mike's Total: 128-74 Overall (.633); 60-46 Conference (.566)

A Couple Points:
- In the 9 years prior to Mike we had 2 winning conference records. In Mike's 6 completed seasons we've had 4.
- Mike's Overall record is 9.6 percentage points better than what we experienced the previous 9 years (.633-.537). If you look at as a growth rate, .633/.537-1 = 17.9%
- Mike's Conference record is 17.7 percentage points better than what we experienced the previous 9 years (.566-.389). If you look at as a growth rate, .566/.389-1 = 45.6%
- Mike's conference winning percentage is better than both Stan and Pelphrey's OVERALL winning percentage while at Arkansas