Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 23, 2024, 06:26:31 am

Hitting the wall

Started by Ragnar Hogbrok, May 09, 2013, 12:35:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnar Hogbrok

Any of you career guys ever hit "the wall."  You know, that point where you're ready to cash it all in and take your chances in the civilian world, even if it makes no sense to do so?

I think I'm at that point now.  I hit 11 years in July, and I truly don't know how I'm going to stomach the last nine years.  I've been deployed four times (currently deployed), been away on countless training events, and sit at work until 1700 every day doing nothing.  The way the military is going, I'm not sure I want any part of it.  Also, I really miss my family.  My grandparents won't be around much longer, my father is having health issues, and my brothers are married and having kids.  I'm missing out on it all.

What have you done when you hit "the wall?"  Any advice, stories, or words of encouragement would be appreciated.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

cubsfan5150

So... why did you choose to join during a war?  Why did you join the Army? 
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on May 09, 2013, 06:12:03 am
So... why did you choose to join during a war?  Why did you join the Army? 

I was "busy" sleeping through a class at the U of A when my wife (then girlfriend) called me and woke me up to tell me about 9/11.  I wanted to fight.

Joined the Army because the more selective services (i.e. the Navy) told me I had an enlarged thyroid, even though I had medical documentation to the contrary.  The Army said, "Sure, we'll take you."

After OIF I, I felt a sense of duty to those we lost.  I reenlisted in Afghanistan in 2005.  I applied and was accepted to Warrant Officer Candidate School less than a year later.  I always wanted to fly the Apache helicopter.

Now, we aren't fighting a war.  We're simply here.  People dying every day for no other reason than they won't let us leave.  Sad, really.

I'm not wanting out of the military because of deployments.  That's only part of the entire equation.  I'm looking for someone to tell me that the military is doable even when civilian and top military leadership are, errrr, less than stellar.

But, anyways, now that I've answered your question, do you have any career advice for getting over the hump?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

cubsfan5150

Man, I just say kcuf it and keep pushing.  Aircraft maintenance is rough and cut throat.  I've made rank faster than I probably should have and honestly, I hate being in the military now. 

Difference is, I joined to provide for my baby that I had in HS.  Well, I still have to provide and I haven't done enough to get out and provide with the downturn in the economy. 

I could go to Saudi right now and make a butt load repairing or teaching C-130's, but why would I when I only have to make it another 6.5 years and I make a nice chunk of change for doing nothing.

GL man, I think you like your job more than you know, because you let everyone know what you do on here.

Oh, and you've seen how much it's changed in your 11 years, I really think it's just going to get worse.

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

pigture perfect

I encourage you to stay with it. You will look back and miss it at some point, because you are able to do something that is very unique. I crewed a Huey during Desert Shield/Storm, and even though I didn't see anything really, I miss the flight time. You might be sick of it now, but you will remember the peace you feel sometimes, when it just feels like you and God up in the sky.

That being said, maybe my experiences are completely different from yours. I'm not a know it all. I was in during Reagan and Bush 1. There seemed to be a purpose and the leadership was solid. Trust in the Lord, and don't lean on your own understanding of the situations. You have people praying for you.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DevilHog1775

Sorry to hear what you are going through, Im not at your level only at 7 years currently in the Marine Corps. For me i think you should look at how you have accomplished all you have for the last 11 years in the Army and how you have put up with that. Your investment so far would be a waste since you are a WO and a Pilot, many people dont have those accomplishments in the military in the time that you do.

I dont know all of your circumstances but I feel ya of what you are going through. Im currently a Recruiter out here on the streets and have been for 2 years, have 1 left before i return back to the fleet. Before I came out here i was a Mech on Huey's and Cobra's did OIF and OEF. Currently i work from 7am to about 9pm as a Recruiter and most weekends (not because of my stats but because that is what "My Boss wants") I put up with that and it sucks not even seeing my family (wife and son) that is a mile and half away from my office. There has been alot that has set me off or has put a sour taste in my mouth, but i think everyday is a new day and after a few more years of service it will be worth it!

Everyday there is that question that everyone in the military asks and personally I dont think anyone but yourself can make or influence your decision. You have the experience and time in the Army of if its important to you or not. I believe the Military is going down hill with us exiting these wars. Right now is the hardest part for any service member because of cutbacks, time at hand and back to CONUS operations. Just got told yesterday that the Marine Corps is looking to cut down to 125,000 on Active Duty. I think that if you finish out and retire while everyone else gets out at this hard time it will definitly benifit you. But again like i said that is your decision. If you want to talk more personal hit me up anytime!

Boll Hawg

Keep strong & charge the hill!  11 years is a lot.  You're over halfway there.  I did 6yrs in the Guard, got out for a while and had to get back in.  The benefits are incredible (medical, SGLI, base privileges, etc.).  I work full time as a high school teacher & the civilian world sucks.  I grew up on Army bases as my dad spent 24yrs. on active duty.  I see sloppiness & gluttony everywhere.  Going on base and seeing professionalism and people that take great pride in what they do and how they look is refreshing. 
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

Old Tusk

You nerd a change of focus. Apply for a position at MAJCOM or get a tour as an instructor at a school.  It would get you out of rotation and give you a new challenge. It worked for me.

Looks like we will be in Afghanistan forever. We want 9 permanent t bases after 2014.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Old Tusk on May 09, 2013, 04:14:42 pm
You nerd a change of focus. Apply for a position at MAJCOM or get a tour as an instructor at a school.  It would get you out of rotation and give you a new challenge. It worked for me.

Looks like we will be in Afghanistan forever. We want 9 permanent t bases after 2014.

Funny you mention that.  I read that today.  Nine permanent bases, and I'm assuming they'll all be airfields manned by........Army aviation units.

Unfortunately, unless you are a senior W-5, I don't know of any positions within any MACOM.  As far as I know, there are no joint opportunities for warrant officers.  I have been looking at applying for fixed-wing school or perhaps going to AH-64D instructor pilot course and teaching at the flight line at Fort Rucker.

Bottom line, I believe you're correct.  I need a change of scenery.  Thank you to all who have chimed in.  Please feel free to continue to do so.

Airforcehawg

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on May 09, 2013, 12:35:15 am
Any of you career guys ever hit "the wall."  You know, that point where you're ready to cash it all in and take your chances in the civilian world, even if it makes no sense to do so?

I think I'm at that point now.  I hit 11 years in July, and I truly don't know how I'm going to stomach the last nine years.  I've been deployed four times (currently deployed), been away on countless training events, and sit at work until 1700 every day doing nothing.  The way the military is going, I'm not sure I want any part of it.  Also, I really miss my family.  My grandparents won't be around much longer, my father is having health issues, and my brothers are married and having kids.  I'm missing out on it all.

What have you done when you hit "the wall?"  Any advice, stories, or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Brother I am right there with you. One hand I love serving my country and the opportunities that the military has provided me. On the other hand being gone pretty much 2 of the last 3 years on deployments/training begins to grind on ya. I just hit 16 last March and 4 years away from the C4L (Check for life) but the budget cuts...doing more with less....deployments, is making it very tough to "want" to be a part of the military anymore.

SteveInArk

During my career, lots of highs and lows.  Was able to make it through the lows and stick it out for a career...  not in your shoes, Nate, but hope you can stick with it.

I believe later, you'd be happy you did.  But best of luck over there.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

TeufelHog

Hang in there Chief!  While this sounds cliché it is very true . . . the second half of your career "goes a lot faster" than your first ten years.  Mainly because you have more responsibility and "your days become much longer and your weeks become much shorter."  I know, I know . . . time is time and it doesn't speed-up or slow-down, but when you're so busy you don't have time to look at the clock the years will fly!

TRUST ME, I've been at this for 22+ years . . . What you need is a break from the deployment cycle.  "Get your arse" to a "B" billet, like instructing, and get your batteries recharged.  You're over the career hump at 11 years.  If you punch out now, you will regret it later.  YOU JUST NEED A BREAK FROM 11 YEARS AT WAR.

Brand X Hog Fan

I got out at 6 years and had I stayed in, would have been retired for 2 now with 30 years time in service and 30-40 more years ahead of me. I really thought about that on my 20th anniversary of enlisting. I was 38!!! Could have retired at least as an E-8 and had a career after that.

Those are the pros and believe me brother, I understand the cons of being away while your family grows up or dies off. My advice is to stick it out through 2016 and see what the election brings about and how much they chop out of your retirement bennies between now and then.

Third option is to try what Teufel says. Maybe see if you can slide into an IP slot etc and hang on. Seems like you have been overseas since I've "known ya." One thing is for sure, you've done your time and we are all grateful. What ever you decide will be the right decision because of the service you have given. Its your call.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

pheine78

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on May 09, 2013, 12:35:15 am

Wow!  Can't say I haven't felt that way myself on many occasions.  Air Force here, so our deployments aren't as long, but I go fairly often; my oldest son just turned six and I have been gone two years of his life.  Only a third, so not bad I guess?  Right?  BTW, I am rolling out next week for seven months (but at least it is to Qatar).  In 2007 I felt exactly like you do now.  I had just came off a nine month deployment with the Army, building patrol bases, doing route clearance, living the fun life, and I was done.  I was done with the military and wanted to focus on my family.  What happened was one person; I got a great supervisor, eventually got a great assignment (I am still here in Aviano, Italy) and I am still fighting for my country.  If it wouldn't have been for that one supervisor though, I would be done.  I love fighting for my country, LOVE IT, but we all have limits.  All I can say is that 11 years is a long time, you know this.  Make your own call.  If you have done enough in the past 11 years (school, experience, etc) to get by without the Army, I can't fault you for getting out.  The profession of arms is something special though, something you can be proud of; something that if somebody makes fun of you for it, you can punch them in the mouth and nobody is going to arrest you for it (not that anybody from Arkansas would do that).  Now I am an E-7 and the Air Force has paid for my undergrad and my MBA from Morehead State (gotta love the name), I just reenlisted for the last time (at least I think so, it will push me out to 20), and I still love fighting for my country, even if it is from some BS place like Qatar.  11 years is a long time bro, you are over halfway there, is the next 9 worth it? 
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

WHITEPW

It is rough I hit 16 years on 3 June and it is rough to make it through without hitting a wall.  Sometimes I don't know how I made it this far.  Been on 3 deployments my self recently.  I think it is hard sometimes to weigh the sacrifices you feel you have made against job you have.  I understand where you are coming from I guess is what I'm trying to say.

hogginbama

Nate, during 25 yrs of service I have hit that wall a few times. I get fed up with the politics and overall direction that the Army has taken over the past few yrs. Another thing that pushes that wall in front of you is crappy leadership. The one thing that always got me through was and still is my desire to make a difference. If all of us old timers hang it up, the youngest Soldiers will be left at the mercy of crappy leaders. Maybe it is one of those ole 1SG traits, but I just feel that no one can do it as good as I can. I be darn if I leave any of my Soldiers in a bad situation while I can still make a difference for them. It will get better, as all things in the Army run in 3-5 yr cycles. Keep your head up and think of the reasons that you joined and still continue to serve.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Ragnar Hogbrok

As I sit here in Kyrgyzstan on my way home, I ca  give a bit of an update.  I'll be sticking it out.  I was selected for CW3 in August and will be promoted next fiscal year.  That will make me bullet -proof to being "reduced."  I can now make it to my magical 18th year even if I don't get picked up for CW4.  So, it only makes sense to keep with it.

Thank you all for the words of advice and support.

SteveInArk

Congrats for the promotion. Be safe
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

panhandlepig

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on September 02, 2013, 02:00:19 pm
As I sit here in Kyrgyzstan on my way home, I ca  give a bit of an update.  I'll be sticking it out.  I was selected for CW3 in August and will be promoted next fiscal year.  That will make me bullet -proof to being "reduced."  I can now make it to my magical 18th year even if I don't get picked up for CW4.  So, it only makes sense to keep with it.

So glad u are coming home... please know we recognize and are conscious of ure service. Would love 2 see ure wife and kids faces when u give a hug on home ground. hang in and WPS

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on September 02, 2013, 02:00:19 pm

What's so special about the 18th year? 

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on September 02, 2013, 08:05:45 pm
What's so special about the 18th year? 

Can't force me out of the Army after 18 years without letting me retire.  So, if I don't get promoted to CW4, I can retire instead of being involuntarily separated before retirement.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on September 02, 2013, 09:19:29 pm
Can't force me out of the Army after 18 years without letting me retire.  So, if I don't get promoted to CW4, I can retire instead of being involuntarily separated before retirement.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's 15 years in the Air Force... you'd think it's the same across the board.

SteveInArk

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on September 02, 2013, 09:25:36 pm
Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's 15 years in the Air Force... you'd think it's the same across the board.

It is 18 years, when you can't be separated and not receive retirement status.  It's a protection written into Title 10.  i.e., for officers, get a 2nd pass over to O-4 or O-5 before reaching 18 years, and you're out.  Happened to some of my friends in the post-Vietnam era.

The 15-year (early with reduced pay) retirement program, was used during the last big drawdown.  I believe they just re-instituted that authority for the services to use through 2018 ... since a drawdown in forces is expected.

WHITEPW

Congrats on the promotion.  I will be up on the next board had to wait longer to get looked at being a walking warrant.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: TeufelHog on May 11, 2013, 09:35:19 am
Hang in there Chief!  While this sounds cliché it is very true . . . the second half of your career "goes a lot faster" than your first ten years.  Mainly because you have more responsibility and "your days become much longer and your weeks become much shorter."  I know, I know . . . time is time and it doesn't speed-up or slow-down, but when you're so busy you don't have time to look at the clock the years will fly!

TRUST ME, I've been at this for 22+ years . . . What you need is a break from the deployment cycle.  "Get your arse" to a "B" billet, like instructing, and get your batteries recharged.  You're over the career hump at 11 years.  If you punch out now, you will regret it later.  YOU JUST NEED A BREAK FROM 11 YEARS AT WAR.

Update:  I did get one of those instructor gigs.  I go to Fort Rucker, AL, next October for the AH-64D instructor pilot course and will be staying to teach on the flightline.  Should be about three years, so I can recharge my batteries and keep going.

Old Tusk

The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on November 10, 2013, 06:47:20 pm
Update:  I did get one of those instructor gigs.  I go to Fort Rucker, AL, next October for the AH-64D instructor pilot course and will be staying to teach on the flightline.  Should be about three years, so I can recharge my batteries and keep going.
Instructor slots are always fun. Afterwards you'll be ready to do another "fun" tour again.
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on November 10, 2013, 06:47:20 pm

Sweeet!  My bro-in-law is there right now as a flight medic instructor.  We've been there a few times to visit.  As I'm sure you're already aware, there not much around Rucker, but at least it's only 2hrs. from some nice Florida beaches.

gijoejd

Man, i'm glad I found this thread.  I have been asking a lot of the same questions myself.  12 yrs in.  I'm and E-6 in the Air Force.  I'm currently deployed...again.  I can't keep but wondering if the grass is greener.  I think I am going to try and be an MTI when I get back home. 

pigture perfect

I loved Ft. Rucker. Panama City is just over an hour away, and the Air museum is a great place to take visitors. Proud of you Nate.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 17, 2013, 03:01:31 pm
I loved Ft. Rucker. Panama City is just over an hour away, and the Air museum is a great place to take visitors. Proud of you Nate.

Thanks, brother.  We miss you guys.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: gijoejd on November 17, 2013, 02:35:27 pm
Man, i'm glad I found this thread.  I have been asking a lot of the same questions myself.  12 yrs in.  I'm and E-6 in the Air Force.  I'm currently deployed...again.  I can't keep but wondering if the grass is greener.  I think I am going to try and be an MTI when I get back home.

What's your AFSC?

gijoejd

cubsfan5150

Quote from: gijoejd on November 19, 2013, 11:40:07 am
2A675

Hydro huh... where you stationed? 

Ever been in a backshop?

Regardless, can you not apply for a better job than MTI?  That's gotta be one of the worst jobs I can imagine. 

Have you checked out the equal plus listing lately? 

Getting out after 10 years, unless you find a full time guard position or a sweet job offer, is just dumb.  You'll end up regretting it in eight years.

gijoejd

Im at Dyess.  I have looked at backshop but have been denied a PCA request so many times its not even funny.  Our Chief's here kinda keep people from moving laterally like that.  It literally takes an act of God. 

I have been stuck at Dyess since '05.  I enlisted in '02 and was at Mildenhall first.  That's like letting someone taste honey and ripping it away from them. 

I have been denied 6 BOP's.  All different bases.  Not just picking the "vacation" bases. 

There is absolutely nothing but Minot on the equal plus for a Hydro TSgt right now.  Pretty much has been that way for a long time.  I see first tremors getting orders over seas but I haven't seen any Hydro NCO's PCS out of Dyess while I have been stationed there.  I have only seen 2 Hydro guys go for special duties to get out of there. 

I have an oversea's long tour and short tour so I count I will get overseas orders.  Honestly...now that I have a wife with a nice career and kids...overseas tours aren't for me anymore.  She can go anywhere within the US, so that helps. 

There is no weird back story here.  I have my CCAF.  Firewall 5 EPR's.  No trouble what so ever.  I'm now held to a shop due to lack of experience. 

Dyess has a special kind of suck. 

cubsfan5150

Quote from: gijoejd on November 19, 2013, 06:26:10 pm
Im at Dyess.  I have looked at backshop but have been denied a PCA request so many times its not even funny.  Our Chief's here kinda keep people from moving laterally like that.  It literally takes an act of God. 

I have been stuck at Dyess since '05.  I enlisted in '02 and was at Mildenhall first.  That's like letting someone taste honey and ripping it away from them. 

I have been denied 6 BOP's.  All different bases.  Not just picking the "vacation" bases. 

There is absolutely nothing but Minot on the equal plus for a Hydro TSgt right now.  Pretty much has been that way for a long time.  I see first tremors getting orders over seas but I haven't seen any Hydro NCO's PCS out of Dyess while I have been stationed there.  I have only seen 2 Hydro guys go for special duties to get out of there. 

I have an oversea's long tour and short tour so I count I will get overseas orders.  Honestly...now that I have a wife with a nice career and kids...overseas tours aren't for me anymore.  She can go anywhere within the US, so that helps. 

There is no weird back story here.  I have my CCAF.  Firewall 5 EPR's.  No trouble what so ever.  I'm now held to a shop due to lack of experience. 

Dyess has a special kind of suck.

C-130's or B-1's?

Regardless, I no longer listen to people's gripes about Dyess after having been stationed at Cannon for three years.  I'm in Korea right now due to that.

If you think Dyess sucks, take the four hour trip west over to Cannon.

Now, how close are you to making MSgt?  In the backshops, we don't deploy very often as MSgt's.  I've been in 14 years and haven't deployed since '08.

Also, keep trying the BOP's.  Have you tried the THRMIS website?  https://www.thrmis.hq.af.mil/

That should give you an idea of what bases are open at the moment.  It's not entirely accurate, but it's the best there is.

Lastly, have you had a superior talk to the functional?  That's probably the easiest way out, but with sequestration, it's going to be harder and harder to move.

Just remember, when it's all said and done, and you retire as a MSgt or SMSgt, that free money the rest of your life will be worth it.

SteveInArk

Speaking from outdated experience.  It's darkest before the dawn.  Stick it out and keep slugging away at getting the assignment you want.  They can't keep ya' down forever.  I agree with, cubsfan ... with 10 years in, and the situation in the US for now, try to stick it out.  Best of luck

Airforcehawg

SAY NO TO MTI!!!! You don't want any part of that job after the scandal that recently happened down there. If you are interested in doing a special duty, you should get with your Chief and let him know. I am sure you are aware that they have changed that whole process and you can't "volunteer" for those jobs anymore. You now have to be nominated by your squadron leadership for those positions. When you are selected by your leadership, you make a dream sheet of extra duty jobs you are interested in. Your leadership will then forward that information up the channels to Higher AF. Big AF then looks at your choices and puts you in a Job of need. Prior to getting to picked for a job at PACAF, I had went through this process an below were my 5 choices (Deferent ranks have deferent choices, below are some MSgt choices)

#1. MTL, I was down at Lackland for 8 years teaching at the SF academy and new a few of those guys. The LOVED there job and called it the biggest secret in the Air Force.

#2. PME instructor, Those guys have it made for the most part. The curriculum is not that tough, and for the most part you are a navigator of group discussions versus an instructor.

#3. First Shirt

#4. Recruiter, As long as you pick a state in the South you will be good to go. Mix in the manning cuts (which means low on "no goal" months), and that could be a very nice one as well.

#5. Airman Family Readiness NCOIC

Additionally, any of those positions will be awesome on your records when it is E-8 time. Every mentor I have had say doing a special duty where you do something "for" the Air Force is money in the bank when it is board time. I have seen one stat showing 80% of MSgt's coming off of 1st Sergeant duty make SMSgt there 1st time testing against their career field.

For the orders part. If you don't mind going overseas, look at the Equals list when it comes out. If there are bases that you are interested in, go to your dream sheet and update accordingly. Make sure when you do, you clear your stateside and Vol for extended long for the OS bases. I did this for an assignment in Germany and had orders in 3 days.

Good Luck Brother!

SirCHog2

Navy here...did 31 years and came close to walking before my last promotion.  All I can say is there comes a point where you can stand on your head and eat peanut butter for "X" number of years.  You are close to that.  Even with 11 years, for what you have given in service, you would probably have to live to be 125 years old, drawing a retirement check, to break even.  I would seriously consider staying for another 9 years.  The retirement check in civilian life makes a huge difference. (have you priced health care? ...Tricare to 65 then Tricare for life).  See what challenging assignments are available and don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone.  Good luck. 

gijoejd

So I became an MTI...and love it

Boll Hawg

Quote from: gijoejd on February 19, 2015, 10:52:25 pm
So I became an MTI...and love it

"Gimmie a 341!"

Never will forget those words.  Went through BMT at Lackland back in 2000.   

TejasPete

I think all of us hit it at some point. I talk a lot with my peers and junior Soldiers and NCO's about staying or going. Each individual situation is different but here is my general advice. Not that it's worth two cents but just some thoughts from someone that's been in 10 and is weighing staying or going.

- The military pension is far and away the best non-contributory retirement in our country. If you're on the fence, stay in.

- Family is the biggest factor in staying or going. On one hand it's hard on families with the deployments, unpredictability, long hours etc, but you also have full health insurance and a good salary. Does your spouse work and if so could his / her salary support you? Do you plan on having kids soon? Do you have any kids with special needs and high medical bills? Is your spouses job transferable or would a PCS to Fort Polk or Fort Sill derail their career?

- How marketable are you on the outside? Do you have education but more importantly degrees that are marketable (no offense to all the Webster / University of Phoenix grads, just reality), are you willing to move where jobs are or are you fixed on going back to where home is, if so are there jobs there?

- For Officers are you competitive for LTC? If not you stand a good chance of being passed over twice and booted at 17. And "Excellent Officer" "Top Third of Officers I rate" means exactly the opposite so take a realistic look at your evals.

- Finally is there something you are passionate about that you want to do on the outside? If it does not disadvantage your family (ie "I just want to ride around the country on my Harley) then go for it. If you pick a career you love you will generally have success.

Just my thoughts. One thing I've learned though is the days and weeks can be a slog but the months and years seem to fly by.

Großer Kriegschwein

I guess I just had goals.

1. Get promoted to Staff Sergeant (Army)
2. Settle down and get married
3. Survive my deployments
4. Get promoted to Sergeant First Class
5. Have some kids

Did it all on timeline even though you can't live your life by a checklist. I hit the wall as a young Staff Sergeant (young being relative) at 29 years old. Just put my head down and used short term goals to support my long term ones. I guess that is the best way if your long term goals are still the same.
This is my non-signature signature.

Flying Razorback

A lot of good stuff in here.  I'm hitting the wall hard right now and am kind of sitting around depressed because don't know what direction to go in next.  9 years for myself and meeting my Major's board.  It seems like a long road for another 11 years and I feel like life is starting to pass by too quick.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

YankHog

Quote from: Flying Razorback on February 23, 2015, 02:28:53 pm
A lot of good stuff in here.  I'm hitting the wall hard right now and am kind of sitting around depressed because don't know what direction to go in next.  9 years for myself and meeting my Major's board.  It seems like a long road for another 11 years and I feel like life is starting to pass by too quick.

I hit the wall at 9 years and decided to get out (1999) but stayed in the reserves, tried the civilian world for a few years but was mobilized after 9/11 for a year then after 3 months was mobilized again for a year for Iraq, was home for 6 months when I realized that the civilian work atmosphere could not come close to matching the job satisfaction that the military, with all it's warts and issues that we know we go through day in and day out, and all the deployments and time away from home, gives you....and i've been riding tours and deployments since then and am retiring on active duty this September.... and i'd stay in if my body wasn't telling me it's time to go.....so just be wary, make sure it's the right choice for you.....the grass isn't always greener,  and the retirement at the 20 yr mark is hard to top in the civilian sector....especially if you retire as an O-5...

YankHog

Quote from: The Chief on May 09, 2013, 12:35:15 am

Just do your research Chief, you don't want to get caught on the outside looking for work, look at the job possibilities in the area you want to settle, talk to potential employers, if you still want to fly talk to the highway patrol (or local law enforcement if they have aviators) or the local hospital and see if you can get a contact or maybe even a job offer before you decide to drop paperwork.....

YankHog

NVM Chief, brain freeze, was looking at top of responses rather than bottom, all this i'm sure is OBE...

TejasPete

Not sure how other branches work but at least in the Army as an officer there are jobs that to me seem like designated "take a knee" assignments. First one is the Career Course, went there after three deployments and six months of being in class and playing golf recharged my batteries. Next one up is ILE, I've heard if you already have your masters done it's not too demanding time wise and once again you're just a student so it's not stressful.

YankHog

Quote from: TejasPete on March 04, 2015, 07:36:54 am
Not sure how other branches work but at least in the Army as an officer there are jobs that to me seem like designated "take a knee" assignments. First one is the Career Course, went there after three deployments and six months of being in class and playing golf recharged my batteries. Next one up is ILE, I've heard if you already have your masters done it's not too demanding time wise and once again you're just a student so it's not stressful.
agree Tejas, and try to get detailed as an IG, it's a cake job, and you would not believe how dumb some soldiers are, well maybe you can but some of this stuff is unbelievable that people actually do.  What do you mean I can't have two wives.....really?