Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Film Study: Moving Kirkland to left tackle might not yield favorable results

Started by SECisKing, March 25, 2015, 09:51:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: hawgsalot on March 25, 2015, 01:03:07 pm
Wallace is a red-shirt freshman, literally had the same amount of time at AR as DK and skip had last year.

And where did they put Kirkland and Skipper their first year, inside.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgsalot on March 25, 2015, 01:03:07 pm
Wallace is a red-shirt freshman, literally had the same amount of time at AR as DK and skip had last year.

Literally correct but your point you are trying to emphasize is wrong.  Kirkland and Skipper were in the starting rotation by October in their freshman seasons.  There is no correlation to a red-shirt year experience and starting as a freshman experience. 

SECisKing

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 25, 2015, 11:34:39 am
Don't let these guys get to you fo sho...  While I think CBB and Pittman know what they are doing, better than anyone on here, I respect and appreciate what you bring here.  You handle the Hogville negativity like a champ.

HAHA, nah nobody is getting to me, I have a couple of years experience at covering teams, it's to be expected. You write something positive and everyone loves you and tells their friends how you're right, you question something -- then people come out of the woodwork and tell you the coaches are the experts lol. It comes with the territory.

But I was away because I just hosted Game On for three hours on 93.3 the Jock, Anybody catch the show?
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

SECisKing

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 25, 2015, 01:01:31 pm
Good writing and thought process Murf! However this is exactly what i saw happening, because Skipper for all his upside was just not getting it done in back side Pass protection! I think they would eventually rather have Wallace or Merrick there and put Kirkland back inside. Skipper struggled with that left handed kick, and as another poster said i am sure what you saw is not half of what you see from Kirkland when he spends spring and fall camp at the position. I also think they do not trust Wallace enough to put him there as Freshman, that may change by the end of Fall camp.

Couldn't have put it any better Hawg in Big D!!! A+++

SECisKing

Quote from: Wildhog on March 25, 2015, 11:01:45 am
C'mon man.  This is a fan board.  You're going to get some pushback when you do an article on why the coaches might be wrong (Believe me). But it's honestly pretty tame in this thread.

HAHA, yeah I know that Wildhog. That's why I lol'd. I know ppl were going to turn on me like nobody's business with this article. Although I was the first at SDS to tell ppl Arkansas was the truth. It comes with the territory...

It only goes to show you I cover unbiasedly. And I know most ppl only read article titles, anyway. In the actual article I darn-near refer to Kirkland as a future Hall of Fame prospect at guard. But now it's "Who is Murf Baldwin..." lol gotta love it

PaintballHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 25, 2015, 02:02:53 pm
Literally correct but your point you are trying to emphasize is wrong.  Kirkland and Skipper were in the starting rotation by October in their freshman seasons.  There is no correlation to a red-shirt year experience and starting as a freshman experience.

Also have to consider Wallace was the best talent from HS according to Pittman and recruiting rankings. He may have not gotten SEC experience, but he practiced against Flowers, Philon, and the rest of the Dline during practice. There's no way he's that far off from the starters. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 10:15:11 am
No doubt, HIB...I actually really like Skipper to RT, I'm really digging on this kid Brian Wallace, though. He seems like a prototypical LT to me. I love his feet and lateral agility, HIB. What do you think of him?

And like I said, I'm not saying Kirkland can't be a LT, he's just so sick of a guard that it doesn't make much sense, imo.

Thanks for the read. I know most are going to not like this thinking I'm trashing without reading. But it is what it is, my man...
to me it seems that BB has a history of starting younger guys at guard where they have help and using veteran at Tackle due to the experience factor.  I think that is what we are seeing here.  Wallace may be a future T and Kirkland maybe a G in the NFL, but BB's may feel experience on the edge is more important.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SECisKing

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 25, 2015, 11:05:50 am
Great breakdown.   I'm looking forward to the radio shows when I can utilize house Intrnet vs. My current Data Clocked 4GLTE service only.   (Been too long here at the VA Rehab center, lol).

Your breakdowns are great for me to help me make the jump from football afficionado to craftsman level (but not expert or coach obviously).  Thanks for the excellent work and keep the enlightening education coming.

Sooiecide, I totally appreciate the kind words on my work. And the minute you can listen, just let me know and shot us a question to get read on the show, too. I'm glad I can at the very least make some people think. Some people just want to argue and hurl insults, but nothing malicious about anything I do. I literally making a point and doing my best to support it.

Most writers just make a blanket statement that they heard everyone else make, ya know? Thank you again

PaintballHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 25, 2015, 02:30:49 pm
to me it seems that BB has a history of starting younger guys at guard where they have help and using veteran at Tackle due to the experience factor.  I think that is what we are seeing here.

When does the law of comparative advantage come into play tho?

SECisKing

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 25, 2015, 02:30:49 pm
to me it seems that BB has a history of starting younger guys at guard where they have help and using veteran at Tackle due to the experience factor.  I think that is what we are seeing here.

It's possible, but you're talking to a Wisconsin historian. Travis Frederick, Peter Konz and Kevin Zeitler were all interior linemen who were first- or second-round picks and none of them played at LT. The LT during that era was Ricky Wagner who I believe wasn't drafted and another guy who didn't get drafted (Groy)

The most important positions in this scheme are LG, C, RG -- because it's a power scheme that leans on the run. Bielema had Joe Thomas at LT who was drafted high, but the other 6-7 linemen were all interior guys because of the scheme and what they put on tape for the NFL...

Kirkland is every bit as good as even Travis Frederick as an interior prospect...

SECisKing

Quote from: PaintballHog on March 25, 2015, 02:30:15 pm
Also have to consider Wallace was the best talent from HS according to Pittman and recruiting rankings. He may have not gotten SEC experience, but he practiced against Flowers, Philon, and the rest of the Dline during practice. There's no way he's that far off from the starters.

Paintball, you're making some wonderful points, bro. Wallace, Kirkland and Ragnow are probably the three most talented players along the line. I can't be sold that Wallace wasn't ready to compete as a freshman, let alone a redshirt freshman.

The kid could step right into that LT spot and get it cracking with the best of them. It's a run-based scheme...

PaintballHog

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 02:39:41 pm
Paintball, you're making some wonderful points, bro. Wallace, Kirkland and Ragnow are probably the three most talented players along the line. I can't be sold that Wallace wasn't ready to compete as a freshman, let alone a redshirt freshman.

The kid could step right into that LT spot and get it cracking with the best of them. It's a run-based scheme...

I was pretty surprised when he wasn't a starter on the spring depth chart, but I'm sure things will work themselves out.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 10:15:11 am
No doubt, HIB...I actually really like Skipper to RT, I'm really digging on this kid Brian Wallace, though. He seems like a prototypical LT to me. I love his feet and lateral agility, HIB. What do you think of him?

And like I said, I'm not saying Kirkland can't be a LT, he's just so sick of a guard that it doesn't make much sense, imo.

Thanks for the read. I know most are going to not like this thinking I'm trashing without reading. But it is what it is, my man...
Just got back from a trek to Sweden Falls in N. Newton County, with my lovely bride, and need to catch my breath, so I came back to your post. You've stirred the conversation pot, which is good at this time of year. lol
Based upon CBB and CSP conversations about Brian Wallace I think he could arguably be as good of an OL as any we've ever had at Arkansas, and we've had some great ones.
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Bret-Bielema-talks-Jojo-Robinson-Santos-Ramirez-Brian-Wallace-34088138
Regardless of where Denver ends up this year, he will be a starter. If CBB and CSP feel DK is as good of a LT as we have on the team he will stay at this position.
A back story of this is that the placement of Denver in the NFL, with NFL ready experience, is an important part of The Razorbacks recruiting Florida (the same goes for Alex Collins). I don't think for one second that CBB would play anyone who he doesn't feel gives us the best opportunity to win and at the same time I think CBB and CSP feel Denver is the starter at a tackle or guard position, as playing him does give us the best chance to win. If Denver goes high in the draft, he's had a great year for The Hogs, and it will be a plus when we walk into South Florida living rooms.
If DK is a little more agile/nimble (with weight loss, development and drills) and is as good or better than any other LT that we have, I think he stays. When he locks on the DL, more often than not, that lineman disappears from the play.
CBB and CSP will have it fine tuned by the time we run into Jerry's World, Sept. 26.
...Oh, btw, keep posting.

" GO HOGS "

PorkSoda

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 02:36:05 pm
It's possible, but you're talking to a Wisconsin historian. Travis Frederick, Peter Konz and Kevin Zeitler were all interior linemen who were first- or second-round picks and none of them played at LT. The LT during that era was Ricky Wagner who I don't believe wasn't drafted and another guy who didn't get drafted (Groy)

The most important positions in this scheme are LG, C, RG -- because it's a power scheme that leans on the run. Bielema had Joe Thomas at LT who was drafted high, but the other 6-7 linemen were all interior guys because of the scheme and what they put on tape for the NFL...

Kirkland is every bit as good as even Travis Frederick as an interior prospect...
yeah, I'm just looking at what he did here at arkansas, and it was just the impression I got, since I believe he put both Brey Cook and Dan Skipper at Guard to start with and then moved them to Tackle after a couple years.  both had body types more typical of a tackle than a guard.  Kirkland on the otherhand seems to have a body type for Guard, but we lack an experienced tackle to play opposite of skipper.
but like I said, it was just the impression I got.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SECisKing

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 25, 2015, 02:57:35 pm
yeah, I'm just looking at what he did here at arkansas, and it was just the impression I got, since I believe he put both Brey Cook and Dan Skipper at Guard to start with and then moved them to Tackle after a couple years.  both had body types more typical of a tackle than a guard.  Kirkland on the otherhand seems to have a body type for Guard, but we lack an experienced tackle to play opposite of skipper.
but like I said, it was just the impression I got.

I certainly understand where you're coming from, Pork...No doubt.

SECisKing

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on March 25, 2015, 02:55:10 pm
Just got back from a trek to Sweden Falls in N. Newton County, with my lovely bride, and need to catch my breath, so I came back to your post. You've stirred the conversation pot, which is good at this time of year. lol
Based upon CBB and CSP conversations about Brian Wallace I think he could arguably be as good of an OL as any we've ever had at Arkansas, and we've had some great ones.
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Bret-Bielema-talks-Jojo-Robinson-Santos-Ramirez-Brian-Wallace-34088138
Regardless of where Denver ends up this year, he will be a starter. If CBB and CSP feel DK is as good of a LT as we have on the team he will stay at this position.
A back story of this is that the placement of Denver in the NFL, with NFL ready experience, is an important part of The Razorbacks recruiting Florida (the same goes for Alex Collins). I don't think for one second that CBB would play anyone who he doesn't feel gives us the best opportunity to win and at the same time I think CBB and CSP feel Denver is the starter at a tackle or guard position, as playing him does give us the best chance to win. If Denver goes high in the draft, he's had a great year for The Hogs, and it will be a plus when we walk into South Florida living rooms.
If DK is a little more agile/nimble (with weight loss, development and drills) and is as good or better than any other LT that we have, I think he stays. When he locks on the DL, more often than not, that lineman disappears from the play.
CBB and CSP will have it fine tuned by the time we run into Jerry's World, Sept. 26.
...Oh, btw, keep posting.

" GO HOGS "

Great minds think alike, HIB! I literally made most of those same points on Game On on 93.3 The Jock. Man I even gave Hogville.net an on-air shout out, twice! Man none of y'all checked my on-air debut out? smh

But yeah I concur, bro. And lol it wasn't my intent to stir the pot, just doing my job, ya know?

Theolesnort

Skipper without all the leg and foot problems would have been a lot better last year than he turned out to be with the injuries. The extra length with a little more movement could have made a big difference.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

MuskogeeHogFan

Good article. You always do a good job on these and I always enjoy reading your stuff. Keep it up.

I would agree that the first instance that you showed Kirkland at LT looked bad. Really bad technique. Any O-Lineman is in trouble when he plays too high and doesn't get the bend in the knees and hips, and doesn't play from a position of vertical leverage on the opponent. And one of the best ways to lose inside out leverage is to get your feet stuck in quicksand and stop moving/shuffling to maintain the proper angle. Kirkland failed in both on this particular play.

On the next one where you showed him being set up for "help", while Kirkland didn't look good doing it, he did still keep his man occupied and he did it alone. The RB appeared to be set out there to help but he didn't, he hesitated, watching the LB'er and then dropped off out into the flat and on that play, that is probably where Allen should have turned to and thrown. There was enough hesitation on the part of the LB and enough room between he and the RB that I think the RB could have secured a first down after contact. At the very least, producing a short yardage 1st down attempt on the next play, instead of throwing a pick.

It's just my opinion but I think there is a lot of moving players around here to try to shore up what is an experienced starting line, but one that also has hardly any experienced depth. From that standpoint we are one of the worst situated in that regard in the SEC. Now there is a lot of potential there, no doubt about that, just not a lot of experience.

I think that Bielema is wanting more experienced players at the Center and Tackles so he can try to work the less experienced guys in on the inside where they can mature and get some playing time, but with experienced help. But as we build for the future Pittman is going to have to get some of these younger guys on the field this year to gain valuable experience or we are really going to be in a world of hurt in 2016.
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

Me thinks with a spring and fall camp to learn and adjust Kirkland will make a outstanding left tackle rather than a  ordinary one.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Wildhog

Quote from: Theolesnort on March 25, 2015, 03:26:50 pm
Me thinks with a spring and fall camp to learn and adjust Kirkland will make a outstanding left tackle rather than a  ordinary one.

I think he's just too good of a football player to be average wherever you put him.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Theolesnort on March 25, 2015, 03:26:50 pm

Don't disagree, I think he will do just fine.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 03:05:57 pm
Great minds think alike, HIB! I literally made most of those same points on Game On on 93.3 The Jock. Man I even gave Hogville.net an on-air shout out, twice! Man none of y'all checked my on-air debut out? smh

But yeah I concur, bro. And lol it wasn't my intent to stir the pot, just doing my job, ya know?
93.3 is out of my range (although I did attend their pre-Texas Bowl Broadcast in Houston, so that counts for something), and thanks for a shout out about Hogville. I'll have to catch your future segments online. I'm glad you have a platform to convey your well grounded Hog conversation. Please keep us posted on your timeslots on The Jock and again, thanks for the shout out, as Hogville is dialed in...lol
And in my world, 'stirrin' the pot' isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's simply the catalyst for conversations.

" GO HOGS "

azhog10

Not sure if Kirkland practiced much at LT. In that game however Kirkland didn't play there bc Skipper was hurt. He played there bc Skipper got pulled bc he was getting beat a lot and had a couple penalties if I remember correctly.

Theolesnort

Quote from: azhog10 on March 25, 2015, 04:05:51 pm
Not sure if Kirkland practiced much at LT. In that game however Kirkland didn't play there bc Skipper was hurt. He played there bc Skipper got pulled bc he was getting beat a lot and had a couple penalties if I remember correctly.
But he was hurt for most the fall and he was aggravating it at times worse than before. He never was truly healthy. And that is the point. Why did he get pulled, because he couldn't move as well as he wanted and because he was getting beat a lot. It is conveniant to ignore this but now if he could have handled that guy if he was completely healthy and had both his legs, I guess we will never know, but with his length he can push a guy down even when a guy gets around him a lot of times.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 03:05:57 pm

I try to catch Game On every day. Only got to hear the last 30 minutes or so when y'all were doing the the RB breakdown, but it was the usual high quality show it always is. What I heard of it today certainly did not disappoint.

Also thought you handled the tech difficulties Michael was having like a pro. Well done, sir!  :razorback:

SECisKing

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 25, 2015, 05:05:21 pm
I try to catch Game On every day. Only got to hear the last 30 minutes or so when y'all were doing the the RB breakdown, but it was the usual high quality show it always is. What I heard of it today certainly did not disappoint.

Also thought you handled the tech difficulties Michael was having like a pro. Well done, sir!  :razorback:

Ha, thanks 3B! I may have handled it pretty well, but I was afraid like a little school girl whenever his feed dropped out. But after awhile I got adjusted. It was fun, though!!

Dang, by the time we broke down the RBs, we had pretty much gone over the entire program. I wish someone would've caught that second hour with my man Mike Irwin, that was cool.

SECisKing

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 25, 2015, 03:18:17 pm
Good article. You always do a good job on these and I always enjoy reading your stuff. Keep it up.

I would agree that the first instance that you showed Kirkland at LT looked bad. Really bad technique. Any O-Lineman is in trouble when he plays too high and doesn't get the bend in the knees and hips, and doesn't play from a position of vertical leverage on the opponent. And one of the best ways to lose inside out leverage is to get your feet stuck in quicksand and stop moving/shuffling to maintain the proper angle. Kirkland failed in both on this particular play.

On the next one where you showed him being set up for "help", while Kirkland didn't look good doing it, he did still keep his man occupied and he did it alone. The RB appeared to be set out there to help but he didn't, he hesitated, watching the LB'er and then dropped off out into the flat and on that play, that is probably where Allen should have turned to and thrown. There was enough hesitation on the part of the LB and enough room between he and the RB that I think the RB could have secured a first down after contact. At the very least, producing a short yardage 1st down attempt on the next play, instead of throwing a pick.

It's just my opinion but I think there is a lot of moving players around here to try to shore up what is an experienced starting line, but one that also has hardly any experienced depth. From that standpoint we are one of the worst situated in that regard in the SEC. Now there is a lot of potential there, no doubt about that, just not a lot of experience.

I think that Bielema is wanting more experienced players at the Center and Tackles so he can try to work the less experienced guys in on the inside where they can mature and get some playing time, but with experienced help. But as we build for the future Pittman is going to have to get some of these younger guys on the field this year to gain valuable experience or we are really going to be in a world of hurt in 2016.

MHF, thank you brotha. I agree with a lot of what you stated, however, I do believe Kirkland receive a bit of help on that inside move with the running back being outside. First of all, you can pretty much only take an inside move when the back is aligned like that because your ribs will be lit up with that chip block -- believe me; I know.

And the LG also anchored on that play providing him with an extra arm for the edge-rusher to have to go through. And as I stated, he was beat on that initial inside move and even got shoved aside with like one arm by a much thinner player.

Mike Irwin and I agreed today while discussing this article that this move was probably a program-building move opposed to an on-field move. Especially considering Bielema has more success with interior linemen being first-round picks. But only LTs usually end up in the top 10. The minute he lands that top 10 pick the shine will be clearly on the program just like it was at Wisconsin.

But it's all good. Always great to talk ball with 99.9% of Hogville. Especially you, MHF.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 05:29:47 pm
MHF, thank you brotha. I agree with a lot of what you stated, however, I do believe Kirkland receive a bit of help on that inside move with the running back being outside. First of all, you can pretty much only take an inside move when the back is aligned like that because your ribs will be lit up with that chip block -- believe me; I know.

And the LG also anchored on that play providing him with an extra arm for the edge-rusher to have to go through. And as I stated, he was beat on that initial inside move and even got shoved aside with like one arm by a much thinner player.

Mike Irwin and I agreed today while discussing this article that this move was probably a program-building move opposed to an on-field move. Especially considering Bielema has more success with interior linemen being first-round picks. But only LTs usually end up in the top 10. The minute he lands that top 10 pick the shine will be clearly on the program just like it was at Wisconsin.

But it's all good. Always great to talk ball with 99.9% of Hogville. Especially you, MHF.

It could be a "program building move". Maybe Bielema believes that Kirkland is a potential 1st round pick whether he is inside or outside. The kid is a great athlete with a great attitude. And while he may not have the natural length that Skipper possesses, and while that may be a desirable trait in a blind side tackle, if he can develop the ability to bend, execute great technique and keep his feet moving to maintain his angle, he is big enough to play very well at LT.

I never thought that Skipper played that poorly at LT though he played injured to one degree or another, most of last season. So, while I had heard that this move was going to be made, I was still a bit surprised. Even more suprised to hear that Skipper, with all of his experience, is being challenged at RT.

Well, sirens going off here now, so I guess I'll get off for a while.
Go Hogs Go!

Rocky Mountain Living

Murf,

Great Read...thanks for your time.

I thought the same thing:  Denver doesn't have the footspeed to play LT when he subbed for Skipper vs GA and I then understood why the coaches had Skipper playing LT and Denver at RG.

One of the younger guys might be better suited at LT than both Kirkland and Skipper

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 05:21:22 pm
Ha, thanks 3B! I may have handled it pretty well, but I was afraid like a little school girl whenever his feed dropped out. But after awhile I got adjusted. It was fun, though!!

Dang, by the time we broke down the RBs, we had pretty much gone over the entire program. I wish someone would've caught that second hour with my man Mike Irwin, that was cool.

Great job on the radio today!  :razorback:

SECisKing

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on March 25, 2015, 06:51:21 pm
Murf,

Great Read...thanks for your time.

I thought the same thing:  Denver doesn't have the footspeed to play LT when he subbed for Skipper vs GA and I then understood why the coaches had Skipper playing LT and Denver at RG.

One of the younger guys might be better suited at LT than both Kirkland and Skipper

Rocky, I appreciate ya. I never even really thought about it that way. They were both interior guys, Kirkland could've easily started last season off at LT instead of Skip. But I do like BOTH as right tackle prospects with Kirkland being an all-world talent at guard.

And I agree; that younger guy is Brian Wallace. That kid has some serious skills for the position.

Thanks for your time.

SECisKing

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on March 25, 2015, 07:22:08 pm
Great job on the radio today!  :razorback:

Zen!!! Thank You, I'm glad someone listened! haha. It was fun and nerve racking at the same time. Michael even had me bring us back from break a couple of times which was scary lol.

Definitely hope I can do it again, though. 

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 07:33:20 pm
Rocky, I appreciate ya. I never even really thought about it that way. They were both interior guys, Kirkland could've easily started last season off at LT instead of Skip. But I do like BOTH as right tackle prospects with Kirkland being an all-world talent at guard.

And I agree; that younger guy is Brian Wallace. That kid has some serious skills for the position.

Thanks for your time.

Yes, Sir.  I can't wait to watch Brian play Tackle, but....

CBB is going to start his upperclassman if he views the competition equal.... 

We are going to have to wait another year, but it was worth watching Brian's HS film again.  He has the footspeed!

www.hudl.com/athlete/413240/highlights/39036382/v2

kchogfan14

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 09:51:39 am
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/kirkland-move-lt-might-yield-favorable-results-hogs/

What up, Hogville? I'm back with another article with an opinion on Denver Kirkland's move out on the edges. This is just an opinion that I immediately thought of when I saw the spring depth chart.

More importantly, though, I will be co-hosting Game On with Michael Smith today at 11 am Arkansas time on 93.3 The Jock. I'm sure we'll cover just about everything dealing with Hogs football; should be fun. Click the link, in the quick links section, at the top of this page.

Please check us out, if you can.

Thanks bros.

I am not surprised by the move. Last year I got kicked off of this board for saying many derogatory things about Dan Skipper, including that he has the worst feet of any of our linemen. He needed a position change.

Josh Goforth

Kirkland struggled pulling at times last year too. Have to see how it plays out but not sure Wallace has shown he can step in to that spot yet.

daBoar

Interesting that the video contrasted Kirkland against Jordan Jenkins one of the top Lbs in the SEC, a top 50 HS recruit, the top player in Ga, and a year further along than Kirkland.  I think a few other Hogs also had subpar games that day....as Kirkland sort of played out of position.

jgphillips3

Murf, I love what you write and bring to the board.  The depth of knowledge you have elevates your writing above so many of the hacks we see.  Obviously, you are going to get blow back on here for anything that isn't overweening praise, but you knew we eat our own around here. :)

I think you raised some very interesting points and it will be fun to see the progression of these changes and if they amount to just an experiment or a master stroke.  I'll definitely be watching closely.

havok

Every Spring, coaches "Tinker" with players in New positions, especially on the O-line. 

Not anything to be concerned about.  Ark has if not the best, one of the top 2 or 3 O-line coaches in the country..so let the coaches get stuff on film and "Know" more about the Strengths and/or limitations of every player they are coaching.  Come Fall, the right players will be on the field in the right Positions.

Theolesnort

Basically this is something to talk about in slow times in off season but the reality is much ado about nothing. The really outstanding future may be in Ragnow when it comes to suppleness, flexibility and movable feet and he under Herbert is building muscle and size so we may not miss Kirkland all that much at guard though that remains to be seen. Since Bielema says that Kirkland is the best pass blocker he has just about ever had I will take him at his word and that is the reason to move him to the blind side. This might be a run first offense but Bielema and Enos both want more balance and Brandon Allen for sure approves of Kirkland protecting his blind side. We can speculate all we want but there are real positive reasons for the move that have nothing to do with the pros and future recruiting in Florida. Winning football games in the here and now is what is important and not some what may be or what might not be at some future time. Simple.

hawg66

When Bielema announced the move he said it was because Kirkland is the best on the team at pass pro.  I'll go with that. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: daBoar on March 26, 2015, 05:44:25 am
Interesting that the video contrasted Kirkland against Jordan Jenkins one of the top Lbs in the SEC, a top 50 HS recruit, the top player in Ga, and a year further along than Kirkland.  I think a few other Hogs also had subpar games that day....as Kirkland sort of played out of position.

Shhh Murf won't recognize anything except evidence to prove his point

Grizzlyfan

So by game 6 where do you all expect to see Kirkland, Skipper and Wallace lined up?

tbhogfan

Another well researched article Murf.   Do you feel that Denver's issues at LT are correctable with enough reps and coaching?   Also, do you like the combo of Denver and Tretola in the running game?
Go Hogs!

Piggfoot

Horrible. The comparison was made when Kirkland was ask to play out of position. Time wise, if he had red shirted he would have barely been a red shirt
freshman being ask to play the most demanding position on the line. The writer was grasping for something to write. If Kirkland does not grasp the position better this year then talk about it. I think he is better than Skipper. If not who would the writer suggest we play at LT?
On the first Example Kirkland was in a cross block. He engaged his man and forced him wide. If Allen had given the ball to Collins there was a hole there a mile wide. As it was Allen held the ball too long and missed a wide open receiver for a ten yard gain.
On the Example of Looking for someone to hit. He leading the ball carrier. What do you want him to do?  Horrible Analysis.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

SECisKing

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 26, 2015, 09:51:48 am
Shhh Murf won't recognize anything except evidence to prove his point

Come on, don't be goofy man. If Jordan Jenkins is the barometer for which edge-rushers are measured then you have some problems on your hand. Jenkins is decent -- but he only had 4.5 sacks despite being surrounded by Leonard Floyd and Lorenzo Carter.

The Hogs have two elite pass-rushers on the schedule next season I can think of offhand: Texas A&M's Myles Garrett & Tennessee's Derek Barnett, both of whom had double-digit sacks as true freshmen.

I'm all for talking ball, but I don't like homerism. Let's not make Jordan Jenkins out to be a first-round draft pick. He came back to school for his senior season because he received a mid-to-late draft grade.

Him being a top recruit in GA was almost 4 seasons ago, he's now just a pretty good player.

And saying Jenkins is one year ahead of Kirkland is just plain silly when left tackles like Cameron Robinson from Bama played every game as a true freshman and dominated some of the best the country had to offer.

La'el Collins from LSU played really early and held his own. I can name a host of other young LTs who had to play against juniors and seniors. None of what you're saying is unique to Kirkland because he plays for your team.

And did you even read the article? It sounds like you read the title and looked at the GIFs and formulated an opinion. I said Kirkland has a chance to be possibly be a good left tackle, but as presently constructed he's a top-10 pick at Guard.

You're overdoing it man.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 26, 2015, 10:02:39 am
So by game 6 where do you all expect to see Kirkland, Skipper and Wallace lined up?

LT Wallace
LG Tretola
C Smothers
RG Kirkland
RT Skipper

SECisKing

Quote from: Piggfoot on March 26, 2015, 10:10:45 am
Horrible. The comparison was made when Kirkland was ask to play out of position. Time wise, if he had red shirted he would have barely been a red shirt
freshman being ask to play the most demanding position on the line. The writer was grasping for something to write. If Kirkland does not grasp the position better this year then talk about it. I think he is better than Skipper. If not who would the writer suggest we play at LT?
On the first Example Kirkland was in a cross block. He engaged his man and forced him wide. If Allen had given the ball to Collins there was a hole there a mile wide. As it was Allen held the ball too long and missed a wide open receiver for a ten yard gain.
On the Example of Looking for someone to hit. He leading the ball carrier. What do you want him to do?  Horrible Analysis.

Yep horrible analysis. I suck. Don't know why anyone would ever listen to anything I have to say. How could I have missed this elusive "cross block."

Man you're the epitome of what I don't like. You ask a question like "Who would the writer suggest play LT?"

When I said this in the actual article: "Left tackle is a young man's position so it's not unusual to see freshmen or sophomores manning the position for championship contenders; the Hogs have a few prospects in Brian Wallace, Frank Ragnow and Jalen Merrick who appear to possess the prerequisite athleticism for the position." -- Murf B.

Differing opinions are awesome, it brings about discussion and a chance to analyze. However, trying to flame me to feel better about yourself is just silly for an adult. There's a ton of ppl who agree with my assessment, and if you listened to 93.3 the jock yesterday when I co-hosted Game On there were other media figures in the know who completely agreed and some who didn't.

But we all kept it professional as it's just an opinion; let's talk ball and not try to be heroes from opinions.

SMH

SECisKing

Quote from: tbhogfan on March 26, 2015, 10:10:04 am
Another well researched article Murf.   Do you feel that Denver's issues at LT are correctable with enough reps and coaching?   Also, do you like the combo of Denver and Tretola in the running game?

Nice sensible question from you, TB! I definitely feel like Kirkland's issues are correctable 100%...But sometimes players are who they are. This debate about Kirkland isn't uncommon at all. There have been NFL guards who were thought to be able to play tackle and have struggled. Kelechi Osemele is a great guard for the Baltimore Ravens who struggled to play LT but is one of the best in the NFL at G.

I think some people are irrational and believe because I think he makes a potential all-pro G and just a decent LT that I'm saying he sucks or something. It's the contrary. I'm saying he's such a great guard prospect why mess up a sure thing?

As for the run combo with Tretola and Kirkland -- I can definitely dig that. But Arkansas is more of a 00 run scheme -- meaning the majority of the runs are going between guard and center. A guard-to-guard combo of Tretola, Ragnow and Kirkland would eat up interior defensive lines.

Also, like I said in the piece, I wanted to see Skipper and Kirkland man that right side which is your normal run-blocking side...

But hey, thanks for being a knowledgeable, heady person, TB!

hawg66

King, your opinion that Kirkland is better suited for guard is based on some film review and limited observation.  Bielema's belief that Kirkland is the best on the team at pass pro is based on two years of almost daily observation and consultation with his position coach.  No one is saying you can't have an opinion, but accepting yours requires belief that you know more than Kirkland's coaches, and that those coaches are either not smart enough or don't care enough to do what's best for the player and the team.

For someone who thinks it's okay to share opinions you get a little too sensitive when someone calls you out on it.

SECisKing

Quote from: hawg66 on March 26, 2015, 10:59:45 am
King, your opinion that Kirkland is better suited for guard is based on some film review and limited observation.  Bielema's belief that Kirkland is the best on the team at pass pro is based on two years of almost daily observation and consultation with his position coach.  No one is saying you can't have an opinion, but accepting yours requires belief that you know more than Kirkland's coaches, and that those coaches are either not smart enough or don't care enough to do what's best for the player and the team.

For someone who thinks it's okay to share opinions you get a little too sensitive when someone calls you out on it.

Man when did responding to someone become a sensitivity thing? I think that's what you want it to be, honestly.

I'm completely cool. I've been a full-time writer for a couple of years now and have had tons and tons of people disagree with my opinions -- it's nothing new and welcomed.

But trying to call me names over an opinion is different. Yes, I know I'm not Bret Bielema and the first part of the article plainly states that -- if you actually read it.

Name one time on here that I got "sensitive" over a differing opinion? Please do...

You can't.

It's only an opinion, bro. Let's debate it and keep it civil...