Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Film Study: Moving Kirkland to left tackle might not yield favorable results

Started by SECisKing, March 25, 2015, 09:51:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SECisKing

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/kirkland-move-lt-might-yield-favorable-results-hogs/

What up, Hogville? I'm back with another article with an opinion on Denver Kirkland's move out on the edges. This is just an opinion that I immediately thought of when I saw the spring depth chart.

More importantly, though, I will be co-hosting Game On with Michael Smith today at 11 am Arkansas time on 93.3 The Jock. I'm sure we'll cover just about everything dealing with Hogs football; should be fun. Click the link, in the quick links section, at the top of this page.

Please check us out, if you can.

Thanks bros.
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

Hawgzinbowlz

+1 for showing plays along with commentary as opposed to words alone.

We shall see, as CBB and CSP are veterans and will adjust if needed. Our spring and fall camps plus OOC schedule should give enough assessment time for the start of SEC play. Skipper could go back to left tackle, along with shuffling someone into the right tackle spot.

Worth watching.

" GO HOGS "

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 09:51:39 am
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/kirkland-move-lt-might-yield-favorable-results-hogs/

What up, Hogville? I'm back with another article with an opinion on Denver Kirkland's move out on the edges. This is just an opinion that I immediately thought of when I saw the spring depth chart.

More importantly, though, I will be co-hosting Game On with Michael Smith today at 11 am Arkansas time on 93.3 The Jock. I'm sure we'll cover just about everything dealing with Hogs football; should be fun. Click the link, in the quick links section, at the top of this page.

Thanks bros.

Don't agree with all your conclusions, but it's an intelligent, well written article worthy of publication.

And, unlike most "journalists" these days, you seem to have a little humility about you.

Good job, sir. 
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Smalltownhog95

I thought you were crazy questioning CBB judgment on the line but there's some interesting points here. Will be interesting to see how everything pans out.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

SECisKing

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on March 25, 2015, 10:10:57 am
+1 for showing plays along with commentary as opposed to words alone.

We shall see, as CBB and CSP are veterans and will adjust if needed. Our spring and fall camps plus OOC schedule should give enough assessment time for the start of SEC play. Skipper could go back to left tackle, along with shuffling someone into the right tackle spot.

Worth watching.

" GO HOGS "

No doubt, HIB...I actually really like Skipper to RT, I'm really digging on this kid Brian Wallace, though. He seems like a prototypical LT to me. I love his feet and lateral agility, HIB. What do you think of him?

And like I said, I'm not saying Kirkland can't be a LT, he's just so sick of a guard that it doesn't make much sense, imo.

Thanks for the read. I know most are going to not like this thinking I'm trashing without reading. But it is what it is, my man...

SECisKing

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 25, 2015, 10:13:20 am
Don't agree with all your conclusions, but it's an intelligent, well written article worthy of publication.

And, unlike most "journalists" these days, you seem to have a little humility about you.

Good job, sir.

Big Daddy,lol I cringe calling another man that -- reminds me of jail or something -- I definitely hear where you're coming from. But can you tell me what you don't agree with? And thanks for the kind words, too.

SECisKing

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on March 25, 2015, 10:14:46 am
I thought you were crazy questioning CBB judgment on the line but there's some interesting points here. Will be interesting to see how everything pans out.

You won't find a bigger Coach BB fan than me. I guarantee you none of y'all have like 20 Wisconsin games on tape and own a few Wisconsin shorts and hoodies to workout in...So I thought I was crazy questioning him, too.

But I think it's a fair assessment, Small town...

Wildhog

I said this when the move occurred.  You put it much better than I did, though.

Good article.  Keep 'em comin'!
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

SECisKing

Quote from: Wildhog on March 25, 2015, 10:19:31 am
I said this when the move occurred.  You put it much better than I did, though.

Good article.  Keep 'em comin'!

I got you Wild Hog. I'm about to keep it coming on 93.3 The Jock in about 40 mins, too. Thank You, though.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 25, 2015, 10:13:20 am

Good job, sir. 

I agree he does "come correct"...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

SECisKing

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on March 25, 2015, 10:29:02 am
I agree he does "come correct"...

HAHA, One Tusk. I just don't take myself that seriously. I see other media guys looking so extra with it. It's not that serious, bro.

DeltaBoy

You made some great points but we have to see how it pans out. In CBB I trust.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgTide

Thanks bros.
Nice breakdown Murf. You bring up some really good points.This spring will be critical for Kirkland at LT.IMO Sam Pittman and CBB are two of the best offensive lineman coaches in the country and will have our best five figured out by the Red-White game.

Wildhog

Either way, we know what we have with Kirkland at RG.  Cross-training can never hurt.  Especially as thin as we are at tackle.
1909/1964/1965/1977

SECisKing

Quote from: Wildhog on March 25, 2015, 10:36:42 am
Either way, we know what we have with Kirkland at RG.  Cross-training can never hurt.  Especially as thin as we are at tackle.

Cross-training is a must! Bielema has always done that at Wisconsin. However, he never said stuff like making someone a left tackle for draft status. That almost makes him a lock to be the LT.

You think LT is thin, Wildhog? Man with Skipper, Wallace, Merrick and even someone like Ragnow I believe the position has some talent, ya know?

onebadrubi

You are highlighting him when he was thrown in the fire with little practice time and 0 competition time.  I would believe it is difficult to question the move when he will receive a full offseason and a couple of warm up games this season to determine the answer.  What we did see though was skipper getting beat, especially in that UGA game you highlighted Kirkland.  Maybe it was more our players or prep instead of just Kirkland?

Also I believe the coaches saw this position as something we needed to do something different or at least get some better options in there.  Kirkland may have been the best option and now they are trying to build his ability.  But I still disagree with you pulling a clip (one of the only times) when Kirkland was moved from RG to LT in the heat of the moment in a game when Skipper went out and then thinking he may not be a good fit.

onebadrubi

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 10:40:10 am
Cross-training is a must! Bielema has always done that at Wisconsin. However, he never said stuff like making someone a left tackle for draft status. That almost makes him a lock to be the LT.

You think LT is thin, Wildhog? Man with Skipper, Wallace, Merrick and even someone like Ragnow I believe the position has some talent, ya know?

LT is very thin at the moment!  Merrick will most likely start at guard, bielema's history at Arkansas is just this, so remove him (unless injury). Ragnow I believe is on record by Bielema of getting strong looks at RG with him and wallace competing for that spot.  Skipper is getting the look at RT.  We are putting our most experienced and talented OL at the LT spot to see if he can improve the position for our O line. 

Wildhog

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 10:40:10 am

Oh, I know it's thin.  Pittman himself said so, too.

Wallace and Merrick have zero experience.  Ragnow hasn't played tackle since HS.  If Skipper/Kirkland were to go down, it'd be a real issue.  And as you've pointed out, Kirkland isn't a slam dunk at LT, anyway.  We'll see how it works out.

That said, provided we stay healthy, I'm expecting big things out of this OL this season.  It's gonna be a good year.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

I'd have to have a little more to go on than a few plays in the Georgia game. If Sam Pittman says that's our best OL with Denver at left OT, then I'll defer to him. Time will tell who is right, although I know who my money is on.

SECisKing

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 25, 2015, 10:44:58 am
You are highlighting him when he was thrown in the fire with little practice time and 0 competition time.  I would believe it is difficult to question the move when he will receive a full offseason and a couple of warm up games this season to determine the answer.  What we did see though was skipper getting beat, especially in that UGA game you highlighted Kirkland.  Maybe it was more our players or prep instead of just Kirkland?

Also I believe the coaches saw this position as something we needed to do something different or at least get some better options in there.  Kirkland may have been the best option and now they are trying to build his ability.  But I still disagree with you pulling a clip (one of the only times) when Kirkland was moved from RG to LT in the heat of the moment in a game when Skipper went out and then thinking he may not be a good fit.

I can see how you can arrive to that conclusion, however, it's an assessment of his skill set, too. Meaning his entire makeup. i could've honestly done the same article showing clips of him doing similar things at guard because his skill set fits that position to perfection.

But I know people wanted some type of visual reference so I pulled those. And I also said that I loved the Skipper move to the RT as I believe he also is not a LT. Watch the footwork of Brian Wallace and tell me the subtle differences you see.

But once again, I hear you man.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2015, 10:50:10 am
I'd have to have a little more to go on than a few plays in the Georgia game. If Sam Pittman says that's our best OL with Denver at left OT, then I'll defer to him. Time will tell who is right, although I know who my money is on.

Also a very fair point.
1909/1964/1965/1977

SECisKing

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2015, 10:50:10 am

That's the thing about using GIFs, some will think that's the end-all, be-all. This was a total assessment of his skill set. What happened against UGA was what I would've thought prior to ever seeing him play against UGA at LT. You get what I'm saying, Rice?

SECisKing

Quote from: Wildhog on March 25, 2015, 10:47:43 am
Oh, I know it's thin.  Pittman himself said so, too.

Wallace and Merrick have zero experience.  Ragnow hasn't played tackle since HS.  If Skipper/Kirkland were to go down, it'd be a real issue.  And as you've pointed out, Kirkland isn't a slam dunk at LT, anyway.  We'll see how it works out.

That said, provided we stay healthy, I'm expecting big things out of this OL this season.  It's gonna be a good year.  :)

How much experience did Cam Robinson have last season before he played his first game as a true freshman? I can name tons of true freshmen LT, as I did in the article.

But yeah, it's going to be a good year, I've pointed that out numerous times. This is one aspect of one thing...

Wildhog

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 10:54:52 am
How much experience did Cam Robinson have last season before he played his first game as a true freshman? I can name tons of true freshmen LT, as I did in the article.

But yeah, it's going to be a good year, I've pointed that out numerous times. This is one aspect of one thing...

And all of those true frosh LT's go through SERIOUS growing pains.  This isn't the year for growing pains.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 10:51:03 am
I can see how you can arrive to that conclusion, however, it's an assessment of his skill set, too. Meaning his entire makeup. i could've honestly done the same article showing clips of him doing similar things at guard because his skill set fits that position to perfection.

But I know people wanted some type of visual reference so I pulled those. And I also said that I loved the Skipper move to the RT as I believe he also is not a LT. Watch the footwork of Brian Wallace and tell me the subtle differences you see.

But once again, I hear you man.

Nothing personal here but it may come across that way...

So you take a better than good but may not be to great yet RG in his tape and find parts of that tape that show him doing RG things that would not help him at LT.  These things could be easily correctable if a spring and fall camp under Pittman and Bielema.  Kirkland has plenty of film dominating the RG spot for two years now.  The characteristics of hip and feet are almost exact opposite from guard to tackle.  So he's doing what he needs to do in your clips at RG to own that spot.  What says he won't show those same characteristics when he gets to own the LT spot?

That being said, I do appreciate your write up and interest in the hogs O-Line. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 10:52:41 am
That's the thing about using GIFs, some will think that's the end-all, be-all. This was a total assessment of his skill set. What happened against UGA was what I would've thought prior to ever seeing him play against UGA at LT. You get what I'm saying, Rice?

Also, what is UGA defensive scheme known for?  Isn't it speed edge rushing?  Meaning Kirkland quite possible faced one of the most difficult task at LT at his first ever snap.  He didn't get a Nichols st, ULM game, or any other easier school to get into the motion. 

ricepig

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 10:52:41 am

Well, I'll just use the old, where are you coaching linemen on you, lol. I trust the guys with 30+ years of experience, they do this for a living. And yes, they make mistakes, but they see them every day in practice.

SECisKing

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 25, 2015, 10:56:09 am
Nothing personal here but it may come across that way...

So you take a better than good but may not be to great yet RG in his tape and find parts of that tape that show him doing RG things that would not help him at LT.  These things could be easily correctable if a spring and fall camp under Pittman and Bielema.  Kirkland has plenty of film dominating the RG spot for two years now.  The characteristics of hip and feet are almost exact opposite from guard to tackle.  So he's doing what he needs to do in your clips at RG to own that spot.  What says he won't show those same characteristics when he gets to own the LT spot?

That being said, I do appreciate your write up and interest in the hogs O-Line.

Foot quickness, lateral agility, bending at the waist etc. is not exclusive to a RG. What you're referring to is a kick-step phase or your gather phase. Agility/quickness/flexibility etc. is all relevant to everyone on the line. Chance Warmack was a top-10 pick at Guard he would've probably been a second-round pick at Tackle because of his skill set. You get what I'm saying? 

SECisKing

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2015, 10:58:52 am
Well, I'll just use the old, where are you coaching linemen on you, lol. I trust the guys with 30+ years of experience, the do this for a living. And yes, they make mistakes, but they see them every day in practice.

lol if I point out something negative, then it's "where are you coaching linemen?" But when I did the most complete run game is Arkansas article, nobody asked why I wasn't the RB coach...lol smh.

Wildhog

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 11:00:15 am
lol if I point out something negative, then it's "where are you coaching linemen?" But when I did the most complete run game is Arkansas article, nobody asked why I wasn't the RB coach...lol smh.

C'mon man.  This is a fan board.  You're going to get some pushback when you do an article on why the coaches might be wrong (Believe me). But it's honestly pretty tame in this thread.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

We get it, you are a writer, smh....

onebadrubi

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 10:59:06 am
Foot quickness, lateral agility, bending at the waist etc. is not exclusive to a RG. What you're referring to is a kick-step phase or your gather phase. Agility/quickness/flexibility etc. is all relevant to everyone on the line. Chance Warmack was a top-10 pick at Guard he would've probably been a second-round pick at Tackle because of his skill set. You get what I'm saying?

I think everyone would agree experience at LT or even RT can make you a better guard in football, but experience at guard won't necessarily make you a better Tackle. 

I think Kirkland is going to be one of our lineman with better foot quickness and lateral agility. 

SECisKing

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 25, 2015, 10:58:07 am
Also, what is UGA defensive scheme known for?  Isn't it speed edge rushing?  Meaning Kirkland quite possible faced one of the most difficult task at LT at his first ever snap.  He didn't get a Nichols st, ULM game, or any other easier school to get into the motion.

I'm starting to think you didn't really read the article? I actually stated that he went against Jordan Jenkins and Leonard Floyd, and he might make a good LT, but he makes a potential top-10 pick at Guard as presently constructed.

I notice that these type of articles bring out the readers who just want to argue without really delving into the article, lol. But I can only be real with what I'm writing. It's just an opinion, don't get bent out of shape on an opinion that wasn't even all that bad.

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Great breakdown.   I'm looking forward to the radio shows when I can utilize house Intrnet vs. My current Data Clocked 4GLTE service only.   (Been too long here at the VA Rehab center, lol).

Your breakdowns are great for me to help me make the jump from football afficionado to craftsman level (but not expert or coach obviously).  Thanks for the excellent work and keep the enlightening education coming.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Wildhog

Quote from: TexHog188 on March 25, 2015, 11:04:23 am
Who is Murf Baldwin?

A good football writer who's learning what it means to go to a fan board with an article that may not be 100% popular with the natives.  :)

1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: SECisKing on March 25, 2015, 11:03:16 am
I'm starting to think you didn't really read the article? I actually stated that he went against Jordan Jenkins and Leonard Floyd, and he might make a good LT, but he makes a potential top-10 pick at Guard as presently constructed.

I notice that these type of articles bring out the readers who just want to argue without really delving into the article, lol. But I can only be real with what I'm writing. It's just an opinion, don't get bent out of shape on an opinion that wasn't even all that bad.

I read it, I am just trying to qualify you here.  Sure you mentioned their names, but did you qualify them at the position? 

I notice that these types of writers are filling space without sizing up what they are really saying.  No where did I see your disclaimer, "I am giving you a .gif of Kirkland at LT, his first snap at the position in his collegiate career against a top rate edge pass rushing scheme and I am going to show you him getting beat, but BA knew that pressure was coming because UGA was beating skipper there all day before and there was a rollout".  No you didnt. 

I'm not bent out of shape, I've tried to keep it at a fun conversation, in which you weren't able to maintain. 

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 25, 2015, 11:08:32 am
A good football writer who's learning what it means to go to a fan board with an article that may not be 100% popular with the natives.  :)

True, I mean, if you're going to accept all the accolades, then be prepared to accept the criticism. If we wanted to read some negative article about our team, we'd just click on any link from SDS......

Hogman2

I think Sam Pittman KNOWS what his linemen are capable of playingl HE IS THE EXPERT!

onebadrubi

Quote from: TexHog188 on March 25, 2015, 11:04:23 am
Who is Murf Baldwin?

Had to be said.

Someone who actually has a well rounded professional career at writing and contributes more in his one article than Roberto Shields has ever.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogman2 on March 25, 2015, 11:13:08 am
I think Sam Pittman KNOWS what his linemen are capable of playingl HE IS THE EXPERT!

WE LOST TWO GAMES IN BUD WALTON BO?!?!??!?!?!
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2015, 11:12:42 am
True, I mean, if you're going to accept all the accolades, then be prepared to accept the criticism. If we wanted to read some negative article about our team, we'd just click on any link from SDS......

I think I actually saw a positive one come across FB this week, but I saw it was SDS and didn't click on it.  THought it might be a spam joke. haha

TexHog188

Quote from: Wildhog on March 25, 2015, 11:08:32 am

Well, he's no Robert Shields.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Pork Twain

Don't let these guys get to you fo sho...  While I think CBB and Pittman know what they are doing, better than anyone on here, I respect and appreciate what you bring here.  You handle the Hogville negativity like a champ.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HawgTide

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 25, 2015, 11:34:39 am
Don't let these guys get to you fo sho...  While I think CBB and Pittman know what they are doing, better than anyone on here, I respect and appreciate what you bring here.  You handle the Hogville negativity like a champ.

Ditto. I really enjoy your well written articles and even though I don't always agree with your opinion don't stop bringing it.

For what it's worth I think DK probably has a higher ceiling at guard than LT too...but he may still be our best option at LT this year.

wholehog92

Quote from: SECisKing
When Bielema released the spring depth chart, one of the biggest moved was seeing the 6'10", 310-pound Dan Skipper being moved from his left tackle post over to Cook's old spot.

Fix that sentence.

I think your observations about where Kirkland needs to improve his technique are good.  I thought you presented them well in the article.

My hope as a hog fan is that he can work on those technique issues during the offseason and practice and use his athleticism and size at thin spot for us.

An alternate thought is that coach is using him to motivate some other players to pick it up to take that spot or work towards one of the guard spots harder since the returning starter isn't in the way now.  Hard to say how the final depth chart will look in the fall, but Kirkland's size says tackle, his resume says guard.  Coach B likes to take care of his linemen and giving him a chance to align size and resume is only helping him.  I don't think tackle experience hurts him being drafted as a guard.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

hawgsalot

SEC King I thought the article was excellent and will only add a couple things from Pitt in a social setting.  First DK has lost weight and really improved on core and agility in the offseason, which will help this move.  He also said point blank said BWallace will be an all american at Arkansas. I could see him cross training both tackle spots and maybe able to let DK move back inside.  Problem with that is, Ragnow is one of the top 5 olineman on the team so he also needs field time.  Tretola is our best lineman period.  DK and BW have the best talent.  Skipper is a working man's olineman and will play a long time at the next level due to worth ethic and his nasty demeanor.

That's all I can add but I also think this is a spring trial that we'll see how it goes.  Eventually it's easy to imagine, Rag moving back to center, kirk at rg, tret at lg, skip at rt and wallace at LT.  The key here is wallace growing up a tad and handling everything the offense demands mentally and physically.  We have some highly regarded studs waiting in the wings no doubt!

PaintballHog

How much have you seen of Wallace?

edit- Great article btw. I don't know enough of the X's and O's to say I agree or disagree, but I love an opposite opinion to issue a good debate.

hawginbigd1

Thanks bros.
Good writing and thought process Murf! However this is exactly what i saw happening, because Skipper for all his upside was just not getting it done in back side Pass protection! I think they would eventually rather have Wallace or Merrick there and put Kirkland back inside. Skipper struggled with that left handed kick, and as another poster said i am sure what you saw is not half of what you see from Kirkland when he spends spring and fall camp at the position. I also think they do not trust Wallace enough to put him there as Freshman, that may change by the end of Fall camp.

hawgsalot

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 25, 2015, 01:01:31 pm
Good writing and thought process Murf! However this is exactly what i saw happening, because Skipper for all his upside was just not getting it done in back side Pass protection! I think they would eventually rather have Wallace or Merrick there and put Kirkland back inside. Skipper struggled with that left handed kick, and as another poster said i am sure what you saw is not half of what you see from Kirkland when he spends spring and fall camp at the position. I also think they do not trust Wallace enough to put him there as Freshman, that may change by the end of Fall camp.

Wallace is a red-shirt freshman, literally had the same amount of time at AR as DK and skip had last year.