Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like RB depth took a little hit....

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, March 24, 2015, 09:30:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Boot_stops_here

The_Boot_stops_here

JackJohnson

I continue to be miffed at how bad of a job Joel Thomas did in recruiting RB's during his time here.  How in the world he was only able to sign Day and RW3 the past 2 recruiting classes for a CBB offense is beyond belief.  Both are talented, no question about it.  However there is no excuse- absolutely ZERO- as to why we shouldn't have been able to sign another major STUD in either of the last 2 classes.  It wasn't for lack of trying either- as we literally offered 20+ 4* or better prospects each class but JT just completely whiffed

Wildhog

Quote from: JackJohnson on March 24, 2015, 10:00:09 am
I continue to be miffed at how bad of a job Joel Thomas did in recruiting RB's during his time here.  How in the world he was only able to sign Day and RW3 the past 2 recruiting classes for a CBB offense is beyond belief.  Both are talented, no question about it.  However there is no excuse- absolutely ZERO- as to why we shouldn't have been able to sign another major STUD in either of the last 2 classes.  It wasn't for lack of trying either- as we literally offered 20+ 4* or better prospects each class but JT just completely whiffed

Agreed.  We've had some pretty stellar addition by subtraction this off-season.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

OLDHOG

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: JackJohnson on March 24, 2015, 10:00:09 am

Position coaches are not solely responsible for recruiting their positions. Recruiting is conducted regionally. Yes, the player had better like his position coach, but the lead recruiter always is whoever's assigned to that region. Skill position recruiting comes down to the concerted effort of the head coach, coordinator, position coach, and lead recruiter (if different than the above).

That said, really great position coaches seem to be able to sway the prospects they really want. Sam Pittman's largely responsible for the 180 that Arkansas has done in Oline recruiting, no doubt. Hope the new guy can do something remotely comparable for the backfield.
[CENSORED]!

PaintballHog

Wildhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2015, 12:00:18 pm
Position coaches are not solely responsible for recruiting their positions. Recruiting is conducted regionally. Yes, the player had better like his position coach, but the lead recruiter always is whoever's assigned to that region. Skill position recruiting comes down to the concerted effort of the head coach, coordinator, position coach, and lead recruiter (if different than the above).

That said, really great position coaches seem to be able to sway the prospects they really want. Sam Pittman's largely responsible for the 180 that Arkansas has done in Oline recruiting, no doubt. Hope the new guy can do something remotely comparable for the backfield.

Pittman can't recruit our entire team, as much as he tries.   :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

k.c.hawg

March 24, 2015, 12:57:04 pm #9 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:17:40 pm by k.c.hawg
I'm stunned that we couldn't line up a bunch of marquee backs behind JWill, AC and KM. Sometimes you have to see some attrition in the pipeline before you land the next man up. Let's see what happens this year.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Paul

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 24, 2015, 12:57:04 pm
I'm stunned that we couldn't line up a bunch of marquee backs behind JW3, AC and KM. Sometimes you have to see some attrition in the pipeline before you land the next man up. Let's see what happens this year.
Me too  With BB's rep for putting RB's in the league, we should be 4 deep in 4 stars

bennyl08

March 24, 2015, 01:33:11 pm #11 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:33:48 pm by bennyl08
Bielema's first recruiting class he signed Collins. Second class coming off the bad 2013 season the best we could get was Day. Then, in 2015 we got RW3 who at least has the physical tools to be a top level back. That is two out of 3 years we have recruited a back who has the potential to be all sec. Not sure I would be complaining about that.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Wildhog

I didn't realize RW3 signed in two different classes.
1909/1964/1965/1977

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I'm stunned that we couldn't line up a bunch of marquee backs behind JW3, AC and KM. Sometimes you have to see some attrition in the pipeline before you land the next man up. Let's see what happens this year.

More true for the RB position than most realize... With JWill staying for his senior year we got lucky. Most RBs with his reputation leave early... This year we will probably have a major haul of stud RBs...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Wildhog on March 24, 2015, 01:40:05 pm
I didn't realize RW3 signed in two different classes.

He's a freshman and a junior
Go away, batin'

rhog1

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Paul on March 24, 2015, 01:01:02 pm
  Me too  With BB's rep for putting RB's in the league, we should be 4 deep in 4 stars

After two and a half seasons with recruits seeing us getting our butts kicked almost every time out???

Get real. 

It takes time.  CBB/staff mostly recruit based on relationships, and it simply takes time to get all those four stars lined up, back to back to back to back.

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

razorbacker3

How did Juan hurt his knee? Spring Break?

ricepig

Quote from: razorbacker3 on March 24, 2015, 02:30:44 pm
How did Juan hurt his knee? Spring Break?

Supposedly in practice last Thursday.

TheRazorbackGuy

1highhog

March 24, 2015, 03:13:25 pm #20 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:02:12 am by 1highhog
I hope he makes it back real soon, I believe he has the potential to be a great back for us..

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NVRyield

hellwonthaveme

So......I guess you will be bringing my thread back out of vents and rumors?

PRJ

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

redleg

Rawleigh Williams is vastly underrated. If he had signed with A&M, OU, Texas, or the like, he would have been elevated to 4* status. Any RB that rushes for over 2800 yards and has 32 rushing TD's is awesome regardless of the level of competition...and competition in Texas is better than in Arkansas.
The Hogs RB depth is just fine. Once recruits see Arkansas sending RB and O-Linemen to the League, recruiting those positions will be even better.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

supersaint

Quote from: redleg on March 24, 2015, 04:31:21 pm
Rawleigh Williams is vastly underrated. If he had signed with A&M, OU, Texas, or the like, he would have been elevated to 4* status. Any RB that rushes for over 2800 yards and has 32 rushing TD's is awesome regardless of the level of competition...and competition in Texas is better than in Arkansas.
The Hogs RB depth is just fine. Once recruits see Arkansas sending RB and O-Linemen to the League, recruiting those positions will be even better.
Sweet!

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 24, 2015, 01:53:53 pm

He runs so fast it's actually like 2 players on the field.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: 1highhog on March 24, 2015, 03:13:25 pm
No need for this crap when a player goes down with an injury.

Lighten up....There is already a thread about this from March 21st. That's the reason for the sarcasm. Not Day's injury.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=590667.0
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

JackJohnson

Quote from: redleg on March 24, 2015, 04:31:21 pm

Good points.  I also didn't realize or had forgotten he had offers from A&M, OU and Tex so no doubt he is a can't miss.  That said we still could have used another stud in either of the past two classes simply BC of how much we run and how easily RBs can be injured

Hogarusa

Quote from: JackJohnson on March 24, 2015, 07:16:55 pm
Good points.  I also didn't realize or had forgotten he had offers from A&M, OU and Tex so no doubt he is a can't miss.  That said we still could have used another stud in either of the past two classes simply BC of how much we run and how easily RBs can be injured

I don't think he had offers from OU and Texas.  He was offered by Ole Miss, Duke, and North Texas. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ricepig

Quote from: Hogarusa on March 24, 2015, 07:41:13 pm
I don't think he had offers from OU and Texas.  He was offered by Ole Miss, Duke, and North Texas. 

And Okie St, Singleton offered him at the end.

Athog

Quote from: supersaint on March 24, 2015, 09:32:17 am

Recess is over junior. I know you must like this and now we all know you can.

supersaint

Quote from: Athog on March 24, 2015, 08:13:55 pm
Recess is over junior. I know you must like this and now we all know you can.
I hope we get to go to English class after recess. Your post makes no sense.

Lake City Hog

Current running backs on the roster:(excluding J Day)
J Williams
A Collins
D Evans
C Walker

Plus we have a walkon in C McPherson @ 5'7" and 205.
Plus this might be a great opportunity for D Mitchell to get some reps running the ball.

We also have C Jones, K Slaughter and T Colquitt at the fullback spot.
It's not like we are out of running backs! J'Will and Collins are going to carry the load this year anyway! Yes, if one of them goes down things could get a little scary, but Evans may prove to be a pretty good option.

If things really go south J Liddell rushed for over 2,000 yards in his sophomore and junior seasons combined. As a senior QB he rushed for nearly 1,300 yards! I would bet that there are other guys on the roster that played some RB in high school.

All that said, I DON'T THINK WE NEED TO JUMP OFF ANY CLIFFS JUST YET.

HF#1

Day will be fine.  He's a tough kid and will bounce back.  I have it on good authority.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: cosmodrum on March 24, 2015, 01:53:53 pm

His classification comes at you so fast; it just messes you up!

-TCTWF
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

bennyl08

I know not what you speak of. I clearly typed Day instead of RW3 when talking about the '14 class. (pay no attention to the fact the post was edited...)
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2015, 12:00:18 pm

I agree with much of what you said other than Pittman being largely responsible for the OL.  I think CBB has shown that no matter where he coaches or who his coaches are, he will recruit and field an outstanding line.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: HF#1 on March 24, 2015, 09:06:12 pm
Day will be fine.  He's a tough kid and will bounce back.  I have it on good authority.
Do we know the extent of the injury yet?

Hogberry Snortcake

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

urkillnmesmalls

It's no Juander these threads keep getting sent to the trash.  There's nothing new. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HF#1

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on March 25, 2015, 08:32:38 am
Do we know the extent of the injury yet?

I've heard everything from a sprain to ACL.  Got a DM from a player (a key player) on Twitter saying don't worry, he's a tough kid and will be fine.   

It might be an ACL but that doesn't mean it's the end of the road for Juan.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bennyl08

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 25, 2015, 02:08:24 pm
It's Ju-an, not Wan and he'll be fine.

Why Juan-na make a big deal out of it. He's probably gotten more name recognition amongst the fans with them mis-pronouncing his name than he would would have otherwise.

Killean

Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on March 24, 2015, 03:36:22 pm
So......I guess you will be bringing my thread back out of vents and rumors?

PRJ
lmao...you and I have more threads and posts canned than anyone....I've noticed a common thread between you and I, PRJ, we call it as we see it, whether that be sunshine or rain....only problem is it never rains in Hogville, the sun shines all the time...hmmm, sounds like a song I've heard
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

pigture perfect

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 24, 2015, 03:18:51 pm
Prayers sent that stinks.
dont send your stinking prayers. Send the good ones.   ;D
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"