Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nice Article On Bielema's Approach To Discipline

Started by BILLYBOB, March 22, 2015, 03:37:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BILLYBOB

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

Justifiable Hogicide

gmarv

not only does he talk the talk he walks the walk.i,m really pleased with our coach.

Jek Tono Porkins

I was thinking the same thing during the Arkansas-Auburn game last year. Take Nick Marshall for example. He gets dismissed from Georgia for stealing, goes to JUCO then goes to (of course) Auburn. At Auburn, he gets caught with weed and his "punishment" was not starting the Arkansas-Auburn game. He didn't get suspended for a certain quarter or half because that would of course reveal the gameplan to Arkansas and allow them to take advantage. Just not starting. That was his punishment for driving around with weed. Not starting.

Meanwhile, Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams got suspended for a quarter against Mississippi State in 2013...for being late to a meeting.

Imagine what would happen if one of Arkansas's players got caught driving around with weed. I think the players are too scared to find out.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

supersaint

I hate losing good players. I love Coach B's stance even more, though.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Hawgzinbowlz

The message permeates the program. 'Do the right thing'.

The depth chart, which followed the storyline, makes me feel better than any spring depth chart we've had in several years. The linebackers coming in for next season will have an opportunity...and it's good to see we are pursuing more sought after LB recruits for '16. The development of the DB position will be interesting...good experience returning.

" GO HOGS "

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Torqued pork

They might be "kids", but they're not too young to learn drug tests and background checks will be a part of life if they want a life.

hoghiker

I get the background check. You want to know what you're getting. The issue with marijuana to the millennial generation is a different paradigm to them than to anyone over forty. Not sure you can exclude all partakers in this day and age. Maybe you can. You won't hang out with many of them and not see someone bring out the stuff. It's just the way it is.

Kevin

'Men do what they have to do. Children do what they want to do.'

love it
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

snoblind

Quote from: hoghiker on March 23, 2015, 10:36:35 am
I get the background check. You want to know what you're getting. The issue with marijuana to the millennial generation is a different paradigm to them than to anyone over forty. Not sure you can exclude all partakers in this day and age. Maybe you can. You won't hang out with many of them and not see someone bring out the stuff. It's just the way it is.

And you think it was different in 60's, 70's, or 80's when we were the same age?

nchogg

I agree with coach 100%. I don't care if they are 18 years old, that's no excure for breaking the rules. At 18 they can join the military and they grow up very fast. What coach ask does not compare. Ask my nephew who got a blanket party when he was 18 in the marines.

hoghiker

Quote from: snoblind on March 23, 2015, 01:44:27 pm
And you think it was different in 60's, 70's, or 80's when we were the same age?
Yep, I do. There is an absolute casualness about pot now that did not exist in our day. Lots of millennial don't smoke but even those that don't are way more tolerant of its use than previous generations. The legalization, via medical or recreational use, is no accident. Most polls that list the top five political issues of that population subset almost have marijuana listed as a priority. It's fundamentally different.

Senility

I wholehearted applaud Coach BB's "no tolerance" position on his ironclad "do right" rule.  Young men who may come to Arkansas with the "rules don't apply to me" mindset have already been demonstrably disabused of that notion by Coach BB.

Regardless of where one may stand on the marijuana issue, the alcohol issue, the DUI issue - - - or any other pertinent issue, Bielema has now made perfectly clear the price of such peccadillos.  Other head coaches at other institutions may overlook or minimize clearly delineated infractions; Bielema does not.  More power to him.

Right turns at red lights are permitted in Oklahoma.  I found out the hard way, several years ago, that they are NOT permitted in Tennessee.  The traffic cop who pulled me over and ticketed me was not the least bit interested in hearing what was permissible in Oklahoma.  I was in Tennessee then, and was therefore bound by Tennessee law.  Young men who choose to play college football at Arkansas had better be cognizant of the consequences of flouting Bielema's plainly stated (and diligently enforced) personal conduct guidelines.

MuskogeeHogFan

I hear what you are saying, but keep in mind that for people of a certain age, drinking is legal as well, until you get behind the wheel, get pulled over (or otherwise do something stupid in public on foot) and blow something over the limit. That remains  illegal. And while possession of marijuana may become more of a non-issue from a legal standpoint in the future (much like having a 5th of uncracked whiskey in your car), you will still see people using, driving and then getting tested in violation of certain established limits. The legalization of marijuana may wind up being a foregone conclusion on a national basis, but you are still going to see those who violate the law and pay the price, and students/student-athletes of all people, won't be excluded. That too, will show on one's record.
Go Hogs Go!

Senility

If I may be permitted one more rejoinder herein, I'll stifle myself and proceed to the back of the line.

In my 69 years of life experience, I've heard the "everybody does it" argument advanced countless times; in every case of which I'm aware, said platitude was stipulated by a defensive miscreant who had a very large personal axe to grind pertaining to the subject matter.  There may, indeed, be many who adhere to that well documented contention.  I would certainly acknowledge it to be a distinct possibility that everyone in the claimant's particular circle of chosen acquaintances likely "does it".  But the activity in question is NOT universal; NOT EVERYONE does it.

Banned activities may well prove to become restrictions in flux; what is currently prohibited  may, at some point in time in certain locales, witness a relaxation or reversal.

On The Hill, in the here and now, Razorback football rule breakers will swiftly and summarily be dismissed from the Razorback football program as sure as God made little green apples; no ifs, ands or buts.     

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: snoblind on March 23, 2015, 01:44:27 pm

Yes. In the early- mid 60s the football dorm was Animal House and Wilson Mathews was the police. When players got arrested it was handled "in house" and the media never knew of it.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hoghiker

Quote from: Senility on March 23, 2015, 05:50:04 pm
If I may be permitted one more rejoinder herein, I'll stifle myself and proceed to the back of the line.

In my 69 years of life experience, I've heard the "everybody does it" argument advanced countless times; in every case of which I'm aware, said platitude was stipulated by a defensive miscreant who had a very large personal axe to grind pertaining to the subject matter.  There may, indeed, be many who adhere to that well documented contention.  I would certainly acknowledge it to be a distinct possibility that everyone in the claimant's particular circle of chosen acquaintances likely "does it".  But the activity in question is NOT universal; NOT EVERYONE does it.

Banned activities may well prove to become restrictions in flux; what is currently prohibited  may, at some point in time in certain locales, witness a relaxation or reversal.

On The Hill, in the here and now, Razorback football rule breakers will swiftly and summarily be dismissed from the Razorback football program as sure as God made little green apples; no ifs, ands or buts.     
Perhaps. A hard line is easy to see but there is a reason its called the hardline. So be it.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: supersaint on March 22, 2015, 07:40:19 pm

I hate losing good players. I love Coach B's stance even more, though.

Agree.  Also believe that good players are team players....& team players follow the rules & don't do things that can hurt the team.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Senility on March 23, 2015, 05:50:04 pm

You're wasting your time.
While I personally believe the ''It's your body and life choice'' stance.  Coupled with hard laws for ''under an influence''......This is America by God and Logic Fallacies are right up there with Apple Pie and Momma.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hoghiker

'in every case of which I'm aware, said platitude was stipulated by a defensive miscreant who had a very large personal axe to grind pertaining to the subject matter'

Good thing I'm not easily offended. Two points. We've probably passed the tipping point with marijuana. No presidential candidate is going to come out hard and fast against states like Washington and Colorado. Colorado for sure. It's a swing state. This is a reflection of the change I speak of. I congratulate you on your  69 years. You've seen a lot of change in American culture. Truman to Obama. You're seeing another reveal itself to you as I type. On a side note, the only other person to call me a miscreant was my ex-wife. I forgave her so I guess I can you. You old curmudgeon.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: hoghiker on March 24, 2015, 08:35:04 am
'in every case of which I'm aware, said platitude was stipulated by a defensive miscreant who had a very large personal axe to grind pertaining to the subject matter'

Good thing I'm not easily offended. Two points. We've probably passed the tipping point with marijuana. No presidential candidate is going to come out hard and fast against states like Washington and Colorado. Colorado for sure. It's a swing state. This is a reflection of the change I speak of. I congratulate you on your  69 years. You've seen a lot of change in American culture. Truman to Obama. You're seeing another reveal itself to you as I type. On a side note, the only other person to call me a miscreant was my ex-wife. I forgave her so I guess I can you. You old curmudgeon.
Quote from: hoghiker on March 23, 2015, 03:48:52 pm
Yep, I do. There is an absolute casualness about pot now that did not exist in our day. Lots of millennial don't smoke but even those that don't are way more tolerant of its use than previous generations. The legalization, via medical or recreational use, is no accident. Most polls that list the top five political issues of that population subset almost have marijuana listed as a priority. It's fundamentally different.

When Frank Broyles and Bear Bryant began their careers, smoking was as common as drinking a soda.  Literally every film from that Era showcased the nicotine craze that was prevalent at the time.

Marijuana use has no where near became the pop cultural phenomenon as tobacco was during those men's careers, but nevertheless they would never allow their players to smoke. Was it legal? Yes. Were there still debates on its adverse effects on the health of the smoker? Yes.  But when you are under a contract commonly called a scholarship,  you are bound to treat the body you have in a certain manner. And smoking is destructive, no matter the substance,  and should never be allowed by athletes in college or the professional ranks.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

hoghiker

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on March 24, 2015, 11:34:10 am
When Frank Broyles and Bear Bryant began their careers, smoking was as common as drinking a soda.  Literally every film from that Era showcased the nicotine craze that was prevalent at the time.

Marijuana use has no where near became the pop cultural phenomenon as tobacco was during those men's careers, but nevertheless they would never allow their players to smoke. Was it legal? Yes. Were there still debates on its adverse effects on the health of the smoker? Yes.  But when you are under a contract commonly called a scholarship,  you are bound to treat the body you have in a certain manner. And smoking is destructive, no matter the substance,  and should never be allowed by athletes in college or the professional ranks.
No doubt smoking is dangerous. This we can agree on. Maybe football too. Not arguing coaches should tolerate smoking weed. It's a line. Perfectly acceptable for a coach to require prohibition. Even on players he might otherwise want to play for him. His team. His rules. So it goes.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

That's great.  He currently does not have one player that can totally put the team on his shoulders and win a game.  When he gets that guy and benches his ass I will believe it.  Until then it's great and sounds good, but just lip service.

I just hope he gets that player :)
Let's make some waves.

snoblind

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 23, 2015, 06:56:08 pm

Yes. In the early- mid 60s the football dorm was Animal House and Wilson Mathews was the police. When players got arrested it was handled "in house" and the media never knew of it.

My point was replying to his assertion that weed rules should be relaxed because so many kids smoke these days.

Can't speak directly to your time frame, but I hung out with plenty of players in the late 70's and early 80's.  In those days coaches usually got calls from the cops instead of players being arrested. 

I also can't speak to what the media knew or didn't know.  No drug testing, no interwebs.  different world.

snoblind

Quote from: hoghiker on March 23, 2015, 03:48:52 pm

Replied to HSV's post before I saw your reply.  I'd argue that the difference isn't among the youth, but the older generation. 

Senility

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 24, 2015, 03:44:58 am
You're wasting your time.
While I personally believe the ''It's your body and life choice'' stance.  Coupled with hard laws for ''under an influence''......This is America by God and Logic Fallacies are right up there with Apple Pie and Momma.
I truly regret that there are some who apparently feel that I'm wasting my time by delineating a life philosophy which encompasses demanding that young charges adhere to a strict behavioral code of conduct.  Those who have made commitments to a program which incorporates an interdependent affiliation CANNOT consider only their own desires and predilections; the aggregated fortunes of others are collectively riding on their "fun loving" young decision making determinations.  More than "their bodies" and "their choices" are due consideration in this regard.

The term "miscreant" could well be applied to my own early years.  Without strong leadership, caring guidance and judiciously applied discipline I'm quite sure that I would have experienced a great deal more pain and regret than I carry today.

In no way do I wish to see young Hogs humiliated, sanctioned or terminated.  I believe with all my heart that Coach Bielema's adamant stance on discipline is conducive to fielding a stronger team in regard to both character and maturity.   

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on March 24, 2015, 01:02:57 pm
That's great.  He currently does not have one player that can totally put the team on his shoulders and win a game.  When he gets that guy and benches his ass I will believe it.  Until then it's great and sounds good, but just lip service.

So am I understanding you correctly? You're saying that since CBB "does not have one player that can totally put the team on his shoulders and win a game. When he gets that guy and benched his ass I will believe it" everything discipline-wise he's done thus far is mere "window dressing"? IF that's your intent I'm sure some of the kids who've felt his wrath might have a far different opinion in the matter. I'm sure Bret would also be interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject as well.

Hog_Swanson

As long as it is illegal, they shouldn't touch it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Senility

March 26, 2015, 11:44:37 am #31 Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:25:39 pm by Senility
For some among us (yours truly included), legality is only one of at least two issues regarding the marijuana debate as it pertains to athletes.

If a substance is classified as "illegal", that should pretty much end the debate on permissiveness for athletes - - -at least, for the time being.

"Hoghiker" alluded to the legality status in Colorado and Washington.  He further opined that political candidates who disagreed with said status would come out on the short end of the stick at the polls.  With all due respect to "Hoghiker" - - and the doubtless many others who agree with his contention - - the particular political spectrum segment which would be overtly vocal in condemning said legalization is highly unlikely to experience another victory at the polls within those two particular states in my lifetime anyway.  I have never respected a political candidate who merely spouted what the majority of voters wanted to hear, - - or declined to answer uncomfortably poignant and potentially volatile questions.

Should athletes prefer to ply their skills in Colorado or Washington state, such is their prerogative; I'm not at all certain that every athletic program in the aforementioned states would be permissive of an uncontrolled and unregulated pothead regimen.

Additionally, simply because a practice or activity is not expressly prohibited, that does not necessarily mean that it is condoned, appreciated or considered a wise thing to do.
To my knowledge, a sandwich consisting of tuna fish, peanut butter, limburger cheese and cabbage has not been classified as "illegal" in any domain within civilization; but I would confidently wager that not very many folk with residual IQs higher than that of a dirt dauber would dub such a concoction a "wise choice" and a perfectly viable alternative adventure in taste.

8)

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 25, 2015, 03:51:32 pm
So am I understanding you correctly? You're saying that since CBB "does not have one player that can totally put the team on his shoulders and win a game. When he gets that guy and benched his ass I will believe it" everything discipline-wise he's done thus far is mere "window dressing"? IF that's your intent I'm sure some of the kids who've felt his wrath might have a far different opinion in the matter. I'm sure Bret would also be interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject as well.

Yep window dressing. Jimmy Johnson was a hard ass when it came to the average player.
Let's make some waves.

hoghiker

Quote from: Senility on March 26, 2015, 11:44:37 am
For some among us (yours truly included), legality is only one of at least two issues regarding the marijuana debate as it pertains to athletes.

If a substance is classified as "illegal", that should pretty much end the debate on permissiveness for athletes - - -at least, for the time being.

"Hoghiker" alluded to the legality status in Colorado and Washington.  He further opined that political candidates who disagreed with said status would come out on the short end of the stick at the polls.  With all due respect to "Hoghiker" - - and the doubtless many others who agree with his contention - - the particular political spectrum segment which would be overtly vocal in condemning said legalization is highly unlikely to experience another victory at the polls within those two particular states in my lifetime anyway.  I have never respected a political candidate who merely spouted what the majority of voters wanted to hear, - - or declined to answer uncomfortably poignant and potentially volatile questions.

Should athletes prefer to ply their skills in Colorado or Washington state, such is their prerogative; I'm not at all certain that every athletic program in the aforementioned states would be permissive of an uncontrolled and unregulated pothead regimen.

Additionally, simply because a practice or activity is not expressly prohibited, that does not necessarily mean that it is condoned, appreciated or considered a wise thing to do.
To my knowledge, a sandwich consisting of tuna fish, peanut butter, limburger cheese and cabbage has not been classified as "illegal" in any domain within civilization; but I would confidently wager that not very many folk with residual IQs higher than that of a dirt dauber would dub such a concoction a "wise choice" and a perfectly viable alternative adventure in taste.

8)
Jeepers, where do you start. Some good points. If BB doesn't want a dope smoker on his team.  It's his choice. I've got no shin in that game. Mmmmh. No presidential candidate is going to write off Colorado if he  wants to win the general election. I ain't got nothing else. So it goes.

Senility

March 26, 2015, 07:16:06 pm #34 Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:33:04 pm by Senility
Quote from: hoghiker on March 26, 2015, 05:15:03 pm
Jeepers, where do you start. Some good points. If BB doesn't want a dope smoker on his team.  It's his choice. I've got no shin in that game. Mmmmh. No presidential candidate is going to write off Colorado if he  wants to win the general election. I ain't got nothing else. So it goes.
I fully respect differing viewpoints on this subject in general.  As you have probably deduced by this juncture, my own stance on this issue is transparently adamant.  It is not subject to evolutionary diversification or dissolution.

I'm fully cognizant of your astute correctness in stating that no political candidate would wish to write off any state arbitrarily.  However, when a candidate is flagrantly at odds with sentiments expressed by a proven majority of a state's populace, said candidate has really only two options:

(1) be fully truthful upfront and be prepared to write off support from a state

(2) Unhesitatingly and immediately capitulate to the prevalent way of thinking and subjugate personal honor by verbally reversing course

Staunch conservatives will never be swayed by majority numbers opposing their heartfelt convictions..  Liberal activists will never be swayed by the vehemence of conservative opposition to their social agenda, and will increasingly effect reformation when and where they can.

Whether or not student athletes smoke pot, use crank, indulge in alcohol or shoot up on peanut butter is their business until or unless such activities become public knowledge due to public notice.  If and when such activities ARE made public, - - - then they become BIELEMA'S business.

hoghiker

Quote from: Senility on March 26, 2015, 07:16:06 pm
I fully respect differing viewpoints on this subject in general.  As you have probably deduced by this juncture, my own stance on this issue is transparently adamant.  It is not subject to evolutionary diversification or dissolution.

I'm fully cognizant of your astute correctness in stating that no political candidate would wish to write off any state arbitrarily.  However, when a candidate is flagrantly at odds with sentiments expressed by a proven majority of a state's populace, said candidate has really only two options:

(1) be fully truthful upfront and be prepared to write off support from a state

(2) Unhesitatingly and immediately capitulate to the prevalent way of thinking and subjugate personal honor by verbally reversing course

Staunch conservatives will never be swayed by majority numbers opposing their heartfelt convictions..  Liberal activists will never be swayed by the vehemence of conservative opposition to their social agenda, and will increasingly effect reformation when and where they can.

Whether or not student athletes smoke pot, use crank, indulge in alcohol or shoot up on peanut butter is their business until or unless such activities become public knowledge due to public notice.  If and when such activities ARE made public, - - - then they become BIELEMA'S business.
It is Bielema's business. I conceded that from the get go. Lots of reasons I could see him making that choice. No Republican strategist is going to push pot as an issue in the general election, at this point. The landscape might change and it might become an issue that is a winning ticket. That is doubtful, but might happen. Writing off the millennials and ,to a lesser extent, libertarians in swing states might be bold but not pragmatic . Like Custer and the 7th at Little Big Horn. You use big words. In a bombastic sort of way. It's kinda cool.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2015, 12:19:58 pm
'Men do what they have to do. Children do what they want to do.'

love it

True Dat..!  +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on March 24, 2015, 01:02:57 pm

I don't believe he will ever have a player like that. It seems to me he prefers 35 guys pulling in the same direction vs 25 guys creating space for one or two to shine... Thus his stance on teamwork and accountability. I hope his formula continues to work and that we haven't hit a plateau...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Senility

Quote from: hoghiker on March 27, 2015, 07:00:38 am
It is Bielema's business. I conceded that from the get go. Lots of reasons I could see him making that choice. No Republican strategist is going to push pot as an issue in the general election, at this point. The landscape might change and it might become an issue that is a winning ticket. That is doubtful, but might happen. Writing off the millennials and ,to a lesser extent, libertarians in swing states might be bold but not pragmatic . Like Custer and the 7th at Little Big Horn. You use big words. In a bombastic sort of way. It's kinda cool.
I honestly don't flout vocabulary to be a smart@$$; it's simply a means of offering a distinctive approach to the verbal byplay and interaction of perspectives.  I truly hope that no one takes offense.  I'm a regular guy.

:)

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on March 27, 2015, 08:15:59 am
I don't believe he will ever have a player like that. It seems to me he prefers 35 guys pulling in the same direction vs 25 guys creating space for one or two to shine... Thus his stance on teamwork and accountability. I hope his formula continues to work and that we haven't hit a plateau...

So do I.
Let's make some waves.

wlbrown9

Quote from: Senility on March 23, 2015, 05:06:00 pm
I wholehearted applaud Coach BB's "no tolerance" position on his ironclad "do right" rule.  Young men who may come to Arkansas with the "rules don't apply to me" mindset have already been demonstrably disabused of that notion by Coach BB.

Regardless of where one may stand on the marijuana issue, the alcohol issue, the DUI issue - - - or any other pertinent issue, Bielema has now made perfectly clear the price of such peccadillos.  Other head coaches at other institutions may overlook or minimize clearly delineated infractions; Bielema does not.  More power to him.

Right turns at red lights are permitted in Oklahoma.  I found out the hard way, several years ago, that they are NOT permitted in Tennessee.  The traffic cop who pulled me over and ticketed me was not the least bit interested in hearing what was permissible in Oklahoma.  I was in Tennessee then, and was therefore bound by Tennessee law.  Young men who choose to play college football at Arkansas had better be cognizant of the consequences of flouting Bielema's plainly stated (and diligently enforced) personal conduct guidelines.
I live in Tennessee. Right turns are permitted on red according to State Law, with certain guidelines of course:

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/bikeped/pedestrianlaws.htm

(3) Red alone or "Stop":
      (A) Vehicular traffic facing the signal shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or if there is a clearly marked stop line preceding the crosswalk, then before such stop line, but if there is neither a crosswalk nor a stop line, then before entering the intersection, and the vehicular traffic shall remain standing until green or "Go" is shown alone. A right turn on a red signal shall be permitted at all intersections within the state; provided, that the prospective turning car shall come to a full and complete stop before turning and that the turning car shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and cross traffic traveling in accordance with their traffic signal; provided, further, such turn will not endanger other traffic lawfully using the intersection. A right turn on red shall be permitted at all intersections, except those that are clearly marked by a "No Turns On Red" sign, which may be erected by the responsible municipal or county governments at intersections which they decide require no right turns on red in the interest of traffic safety;

Senility

Quote from: wlbrown9 on March 27, 2015, 01:07:27 pm
I live in Tennessee. Right turns are permitted on red according to State Law, with certain guidelines of course:

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/bikeped/pedestrianlaws.htm

(3) Red alone or "Stop":
      (A) Vehicular traffic facing the signal shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or if there is a clearly marked stop line preceding the crosswalk, then before such stop line, but if there is neither a crosswalk nor a stop line, then before entering the intersection, and the vehicular traffic shall remain standing until green or "Go" is shown alone. A right turn on a red signal shall be permitted at all intersections within the state; provided, that the prospective turning car shall come to a full and complete stop before turning and that the turning car shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and cross traffic traveling in accordance with their traffic signal; provided, further, such turn will not endanger other traffic lawfully using the intersection. A right turn on red shall be permitted at all intersections, except those that are clearly marked by a "No Turns On Red" sign, which may be erected by the responsible municipal or county governments at intersections which they decide require no right turns on red in the interest of traffic safety;
I stand corrected.  Twenty years ago, right turns at red lights were not permitted in Nashville, Tennessee - - or so the ticketing traffic cop informed me.  Of course, he may have merely noted my out of state tag and figured that I wouldn't know any better anyway.

HappyHogFan

The guy with the smoking tobacco and Coach Bryant and Broyles was dead on. The football coaches are under no obligation to allow their players to do anything that is legal, nor should they do so.

There's no lawful curfew in Fayetteville is there? Yet, the players have a team curfew and if they want to be on the team , they better follow that curfew.

After the last 3 do whatever you want regimes on campus, I love this coach and am happy with his entire system, including his discipline.