Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Bielema offers Chris Borland a job at Arkansas

Started by 870hogfan, March 17, 2015, 04:59:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Kid can really play and I would love for him to be apart of our program.

However, considering his strong stance here. I'm not sure he would be interested.

woodrow hog call

Say what you want about CBB, but the man genuinely cares about his
Players, even after they move on. What you see is what you get.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hoghiker

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 17, 2015, 05:28:57 pm
Kid can really play and I would love for him to be apart of our program.

However, considering his strong stance here. I'm not sure he would be interested.
Wouldn't be surprised if he went to work for his father. Close family. Father didn't let him play football until he was in high school. Father owns a investment/financial company.

blu

It is so nice to have a thoughtful, mature, head FB coach.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

WardamnHOGGLE

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HSVhogfan2

"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

navyhog24

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 17, 2015, 08:39:03 pm
what job was he offered?

I would assume something along the lines of a Grad-Assistant.

Cave City Joe

And good to see an article that's not berating CBB for his stance on speed of the game.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Hawgzinbowlz

...We have to protect student athletes to extremes we never thought of before," Bielema told Sporting News on Tuesday. "I just read a study that said players in the no-huddle, hurry-up offense play the equivalent of five more games than those that don't. That's an incredible number. Our awareness as a whole has to increase."

Change is coming...even if a lawsuit is the catalyst.

I prefer minor changes, if that is what is needed to keep our game of American football intact.

" GO HOGS "

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

bennyl08

That was a very unexpected retirement. Kid comes out his rookie season and tears the league up, then retires. Guess quit while you are ahead, ahead being with a solid paycheck relative to most jobs and still having your health.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Steef

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bob slydell

I wonder what the position offered was. Because I just don't see a guy like Chris Borland giving up football due to safety concerns and then turning around and asking guys to play for him under the very same circumstances that he decided wasn't worth the risk. Coaching requires asking guys to commit their bodies to a cause that you have already deemed too dangerous to pursue. I just don't see Borland coaching with a clear conscience given that he obviously has deep convictions regarding the sport.

If it's some other position related to safety or something along those lines, that would make much more sense.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Hog N Bama

Also tired of seeing CBB in Wisconsin wind breakers. He has been the coach at ARKANSAS for going on 3 years now.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on March 17, 2015, 10:10:41 pm
...We have to protect student athletes to extremes we never thought of before," Bielema told Sporting News on Tuesday. "I just read a study that said players in the no-huddle, hurry-up offense play the equivalent of five more games than those that don't. That's an incredible number. Our awareness as a whole has to increase."

Change is coming...even if a lawsuit is the catalyst.

I prefer minor changes, if that is what is needed to keep our game of American football intact.

" GO HOGS "

I'm surprised that the "additional games equivalent" argument hasn't been front and center of the HUNH argument.  It just makes sense that the more games you play the quicker a player will "wear out".  If I'm not mistaken, "too many games" and risk of injury has been one of the arguments made by the NFL player's union.     

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Biggus Piggus

The number of plays per game has been at the center of the argument all along, but the guys invested in hurry-up spread offenses deflect that issue -- because the number of plays = their whole strategy! Their strategy hinges on forcing fewer defensive players to go many more snaps than they would face vs. conventional offense. It has always been about this. Bielema was demonized in some corners for pointing out the friggin' obvious.

It is not all about concussions, either. Concussions are all the media seem to be able to understand. The more significant findings from medical researchers = repetitive collisions have cumulative effects on the brain. You don't ever have to have a concussion to experience irreversible damage. More plays per game = more times for the offensive and defensive lines to collide. Based on the research to date, it wouldn't be surprising if eventually football outlaws the three-point stance. When two players in a down stance fire off into each other, they both rattle their brains in their skulls. No helmet technology can change that.

The first thing to do is to reduce the number of collisions. Everybody in the game knows that. Some (i.e., Gus) don't care + don't want anybody else to care, because they believe it's smart to increase the number of plays without defensive subs as a matter of strategy.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on March 18, 2015, 07:52:41 am
I assume this is a low paid or unpaid grad assistant job. Otherwise, he'd be running afoul of the same hiring laws Petrino did. 

EFBAB

Uh...wha? Don't think Bielema's gonna sleep with him.
[CENSORED]!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 18, 2015, 07:57:08 am
The number of plays per game has been at the center of the argument all along, but the guys invested in hurry-up spread offenses deflect that issue -- because the number of plays = their whole strategy! Their strategy hinges on forcing fewer defensive players to go many more snaps than they would face vs. conventional offense. It has always been about this. Bielema was demonized in some corners for pointing out the friggin' obvious.

It is not all about concussions, either. Concussions are all the media seem to be able to understand. The more significant findings from medical researchers = repetitive collisions have cumulative effects on the brain. You don't ever have to have a concussion to experience irreversible damage. More plays per game = more times for the offensive and defensive lines to collide. Based on the research to date, it wouldn't be surprising if eventually football outlaws the three-point stance. When two players in a down stance fire off into each other, they both rattle their brains in their skulls. No helmet technology can change that.

The first thing to do is to reduce the number of collisions. Everybody in the game knows that. Some (i.e., Gus) don't care + don't want anybody else to care, because they believe it's smart to increase the number of plays without defensive subs as a matter of strategy.

The risk for all injuries goes up with every play that is run, and to this day I can't believe people are trying to argue with that logic.  I'd love to have someone explain to me how the risk for a concussion or any injury isn't less if you're in on 30 plays in a game, versus the guy on the bench who is in on 4.  Yet, you have guys like Gus suggesting that spreading things out and running more plays actually lessens the risk, because tired players aren't colliding as hard.  Pull my other leg... 

All of those collisions add up, and we already know that the concussion threshold varies from person to person.  It would be easy to argue that guys who never suffer officially diagnosed concussions, but have a higher threshold, could be doing more damage by not reaching that point and having any sort of warning system. 

I applaud Boarland for his convictions, but I'm not sure you want to hire someone with that stance to coach your players.  "Coach, why did you walk away from millions of dollars at age 24?  Should I be worried?"  "Hey, I just quit because I read all the research and I didn't want my brain to be mush at age 40.  But you need to make your own decisions.  Now put more energy into that hit with your legs and drive through the defender."  Somehow...it just doesn't seem to add up.   ??? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

cmiller01

I have a real good feeling about CBB and his recruiting abilities.

This is Chris Borlands high school rivals page.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/usc/football/recruiting/player-Chris-Borland-83249

Very similar to a lot of the LB recruits we have coming in.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 18, 2015, 07:58:13 am

Yeah, not sure where EFBAB was going with that remark.

bp

ifghog

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on March 18, 2015, 07:52:41 am
I assume this is a low paid or unpaid grad assistant job. Otherwise, he'd be running afoul of the same hiring laws Petrino did. 

EFBAB
EXACTLY!! Except for the affair and the lying to his boss part!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 17, 2015, 11:09:41 pm
That was a very unexpected retirement. Kid comes out his rookie season and tears the league up, then retires. Guess quit while you are ahead, ahead being with a solid paycheck relative to most jobs and still having your health.

He quit before the solid paycheck. That's what makes this more stunning. He was poised for a big contract, but turned it down and RETIRED...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on March 18, 2015, 09:06:32 am
He quit before the solid paycheck. That's what makes this more stunning. He was poised for a big contract, but turned it down and RETIRED...

I won't knock the guy, because everyone makes important decisions in life, and sometimes they have nothing to do with income.  I have no issue with what he's doing.  If I'm being nitpicky, and I am, why call it retirement?  I get that it's more politically correct, but I would prefer "Walking away" or some other term that seems more fitting.  I know it would be equally bad to say, "I quit," but "I'm retiring" seems a little like a stretch.  Making $400K and calling it a day after one year doesn't strike me as befitting of the term "retiring."  You would need a really good investment adviser in today's economy to make that go til age 90.   ;D 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 18, 2015, 07:57:08 am

The hurry up offense is not the real cause for the increase in head injuries. It may factor in but the real reason is that players over the last 15 years are not taught to tackle like they did in prior years. They lead with their head or throw their body to tackle they don't look to wrap up.  I understand part of the change was caused by better equipment and part of the change is with players being much bigger and stronger.  Look at the size of the 1964 razorbacks compared to the 2014 razorbacks.  You lead with your head enough times the odds are you are going to get hurt.  The NFL is on the right track it is the way contact is made not how many plays in the game.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Sleeping with his cutie and wrecking her motorcycle while she was on it with him may have gotten him in trouble with his wife and started reporters looking into things.  Lying to his boss got him into more trouble, but hiring his cutie violated all kinds of hiring rules and laws and put the University at risk.  And he didn't have to sleep with her to do that.

In short, for most state positions there are rules and regs you have to follow.  Many include waiting periods with announcements that have to be public for so many days.  You can't just hear about something and hire somebody.

EFBAB

HawgTide

Quote from: cmiller01 on March 18, 2015, 08:23:18 am
I have a real good feeling about CBB and his recruiting abilities.

This is Chris Borlands high school rivals page.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/usc/football/recruiting/player-Chris-Borland-83249

Very similar to a lot of the LB recruits we have coming in.

I agree. CBB has a good eye for talent and a knack for developing it. Did you notice under similar athletes on that same page was Brandon Mitchell?

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: Hog N Bama on March 18, 2015, 06:59:22 am
Also tired of seeing CBB in Wisconsin wind breakers. He has been the coach at ARKANSAS for going on 3 years now.
Amen brother

BOAR_N2BWILD

Any video of Bielema offering him the job? Just would like to see it.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

BorderPatrol

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on March 18, 2015, 09:54:47 am
Sleeping with his cutie and wrecking her motorcycle while she was on it with him may have gotten him in trouble with his wife and started reporters looking into things.  Lying to his boss got him into more trouble, but hiring his cutie violated all kinds of hiring rules and laws and put the University at risk.  And he didn't have to sleep with her to do that.

In short, for most state positions there are rules and regs you have to follow.  Many include waiting periods with announcements that have to be public for so many days.  You can't just hear about something and hire somebody.

EFBAB

Still don't follow. I am assuming these rules don't apply to hiring coordinators?

bp

hawgsmellgud

I absolutely love that man. I hope he stays at the UofA for as long as Frank did, but if not I will always be his biggest fan.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

onebadrubi

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on March 18, 2015, 09:54:47 am

EFBAB

Just to be clear here, what laws would be broken here?  Also just for S&Gles what laws were broken in the hiring of the hot blonde arkansas alumn?

twistitup

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 18, 2015, 02:19:26 pm
Just to be clear here, what laws would be broken here?  Also just for S&Gles what laws were broken in the hiring of the hot blonde arkansas alumn?

I think there was a not so hot,  overweight brunette that felt she was more qualified and did not get interviewed and was  never invited on a Madison county Harley rendezvous
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 18, 2015, 02:19:26 pm

I may very well be wrong. Although I remember people saying differently in the moment, at least one analysis suggests the hiring of Jessica Dorrell by Petrino would have passed legal muster: 

http://archive.thv11.com/news/article/206659/377/At-6-Legal-look-at-Dorrells-hiring

If her hiring is ok, then there's nothing wrong with CBB hiring Borland. From what I can gather from quick searching, what I thought was true about hiring windows and the length of time an announcement needs to be open, may merely be policy in some places but not a law.  I am certainly not a lawyer, let alone an expert in labor law. So what I thought I knew aint so.

Regardless, unless he can get Borland a job thruogh the foundation, I suspect the pickings would be slim in the Athletic Department. 

But the essence of my response here is that my concerns appear to have been groundless.

EFBAB

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2015, 06:03:38 am
In my opinion, he's done w football.

He should be. I feel uncomfortable with a guy quitting a sport for his health, yet supporting others to play the same sport.

B501

Quote from: Hog N Bama on March 18, 2015, 06:59:22 am

who cares what coach likes to wear - good grief wisonsin did not invent the friggin windbreaker for crying out loud get over it!  ::hornsdown::

Rocky&Boarwinkle

What he is saying is that you can't hire for a position unless it has been posted and more than one person theoretically has been considered for the job.

Get your minds out of the gutter.   ;D

On second thought, he does seem to have a man crush on his former player.   ;)

Biggus Piggus

Pretty sure they have GA positions posted 365 days a year.
[CENSORED]!

Hogeration

Quote from: Cave City Joe on March 17, 2015, 09:22:21 pm
And good to see an article that's not berating CBB for his stance on speed of the game.

Yep.  And actually it made a lot of sense.  It took some balls for the writer to say we could be close minded or open our minds to the fact more plays increases chance for injury.  Maybe CBB's position will gain some steam.

Swine-as-wine

Didn't he play for Bielema? Offer seems to be serving a purpose to me.

passinghog

I wouldn't trust him as a football coach. He doesn't love the game. You can fake it as a player, but working 12 hour days as a coach, no faking that. I've never heard of a coach that would rather coach than play if he was in good health and had the opportunity to play based on his talent.

hoghiker

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 19, 2015, 03:51:38 am
I wouldn't trust him as a football coach. He doesn't love the game. You can fake it as a player, but working 12 hour days as a coach, no faking that. I've never heard of a coach that would rather coach than play if he was in good health and had the opportunity to play based on his talent.
Unique perspective. Maybe temper this judgment a wee bit: he doesn't love the game enough to end up like Earl Campbell.

jabohog

Quote from: b501 on March 18, 2015, 05:19:37 pm

who cares what coach likes to wear - good grief wisonsin did not invent the friggin windbreaker for crying out loud get over it!  ::hornsdown::
Did you even look at the picture. He's talking about a windbreaker with Wisconsin on it. He wants the media to start showing windbreakers with Arkansas on it. Before hollering get over it, maybe we should get a clue.

Tier1hog

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 19, 2015, 03:51:38 am

Agreed.  Screw him for not putting football above his future quality of life! 

passinghog

Quote from: Tier1hog on March 19, 2015, 07:03:52 pm
Agreed.  Screw him for not putting football above his future quality of life! 

It has nothing to do with that. A coach asks his players to go all out and put it all on the line. Imagine this guy asking his position players to play through pain. Lol. Who would take him seriously when you know he wouldn't. You have to have credibility as a coach.