Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Football to Basketball comparison

Started by GrizzlyRider07, March 17, 2015, 09:19:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyRider07

Ok so I was wondering what you would think about this. Would making the 4 team playoffs in Football be compared to making the NCAA Tournament in Basketball? Or would you rather say that the comparison would be that a bowl game in general is equivalent making the tournament? Would you put the 4 team playoff with the final four? I am just wanting your guys opinion on this. Just a little fun comparison for today.
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

HotlantaHog

4 team playoff = Final Four

Any bowl game = Any postseason, including NIT and below.

Razorfox

Hmmm, probably not a direct comparison, but something like this:

Final 4 = Playoff
Sweet 16 = NYD Bowl
NCAA tournament = lesser bowl
NIT = 5-7
none = none

JackJohnson

back before the new playoff I used to compare the 3 "major" sports like this- all were what I considered equals

BCS Bowl = Final 4 = College World Series

New Year's Bowl (Cap 1, Outback, Cotton) = Sweet 16/Elite 8 = Super Regional

making a bowl = making the NCAAT (baseball and basketball)

not sure how I would do it now though- I suppose just sub out the BCS bowl for Playoff

azhog10

I laugh at some of these due to the amount of conferences in FBS Football vs. NCAA Div 1 Basketball and that every conference receives an automatic bid........ Therefore you can be a top 40ish basketball team out of 347ish teams and not make the NCAAT but you can be a top 40ish football team out of 125ish and make a bowl game.

jgphillips3

Quote from: JackJohnson on March 17, 2015, 10:35:07 am
back before the new playoff I used to compare the 3 "major" sports like this- all were what I considered equals

BCS Bowl = Final 4 = College World Series

New Year's Bowl (Cap 1, Outback, Cotton) = Sweet 16/Elite 8 = Super Regional

making a bowl = making the NCAAT (baseball and basketball)

not sure how I would do it now though- I suppose just sub out the BCS bowl for Playoff

This is pretty much how I see it, but some of the very lowest bowls are basically the NIT and CBI.

Razorfox

Quote from: azhog10 on March 17, 2015, 02:23:14 pm
I laugh at some of these due to the amount of conferences in FBS Football vs. NCAA Div 1 Basketball and that every conference receives an automatic bid........ Therefore you can be a top 40ish basketball team out of 347ish teams and not make the NCAAT but you can be a top 40ish football team out of 125ish and make a bowl game.

Speaking for me personally, my comparison is based on Arkansas and the SEC.  If I were the fan of some small school in a small conference, I would probably have a completely different comparison. 

thirrdegreetusker

Why let amateurs make these comparisons? We have the "comparison king" right here in Arkansas, Wally Hall.

Gems like:
"That wide receiver was quicker than a thoroughbred with a blue-plaid saddle blanket".

Hogfaniam

The comparisons really can't start until conference championship games winners get an auto bid.

Ten teams plus Have two at large bids.  Everybody else goes the normal bowl route.

Seed the field.

Have four number one seeds get a bye.

First eight play the week after conference champ games on campus. (Losers could still go to a bowl game)

Then semester finals.

Next round during Christmas week, again on campus or use bowls.  Either way.

Then like we now have, Final Four on New Years...

March Madness for football (holiday madness?) won't happen until Cinderella gets invited to the ball and gets more skin in the game.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

RebelliousHog

Well, first a basketball is round and most times bounces right back up to you. A football is a funky ovoid shape and bounces Lord knows where.

Basketball is played on a hardwood court and the players never have a break until a time out. Football is played on grass, or synthetic grass and they take a break every play ( unless your Gussie with the HUNH).

Basketball has like a Brazillion teams in the playoffs leading a national championship. Football has only 4.

Bask.............wait.  My bad.

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

smb

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 17, 2015, 09:43:27 am
4 team playoff = Final Four

Any bowl game = Any postseason, including NIT and below.
THIS!
GeorgiaHOG

smb

Quote from: Hogfaniam on March 19, 2015, 10:15:54 am
The comparisons really can't start until conference championship games winners get an auto bid.

Ten teams plus Have two at large bids.  Everybody else goes the normal bowl route.

Seed the field.

Have four number one seeds get a bye.

First eight play the week after conference champ games on campus. (Losers could still go to a bowl game)

Then semester finals.

Next round during Christmas week, again on campus or use bowls.  Either way.

Then like we now have, Final Four on New Years...

March Madness for football (holiday madness?) won't happen until Cinderella gets invited to the ball and gets more skin in the game.
This is good too!
GeorgiaHOG

thebignasty

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 19, 2015, 09:39:17 am
Why let amateurs make these comparisons? We have the "comparison king" right here in Arkansas, Wally Hall.

Gems like:
"That wide receiver was quicker than a thoroughbred with a blue-plaid saddle blanket".

"He was hotter than an egg on a Magnolia sidewalk in July."