Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blocking downfield 3 yards, still the rule

Started by ricepig, March 06, 2015, 11:24:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bacons Rebellion

Thanks for link. Tabled for more discussion.

Here's an item from the link.

If a helmet comes off a defensive player in the final minute of a half, 10 seconds will be run off the game clock, and the play clock will be set at 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was set to 25 seconds.

So if i'm ahead and on defense in the final minute, don't I have someone knocking their own helmet off every play? To run 10 seconds off the game clock?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 06, 2015, 11:36:22 am
Why do you think it's a bad idea?

The Rules are fine as they are. No reason to tinker with it.   
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bacons Rebellion

Here's another rule:

Officials will treat illegal equipment issues – such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads or exposed back pads – by making the player leave the field for at least one play. The equipment must be corrected for the player to return to the game. The player may remain in the game if his team takes a timeout to correct the equipment issue.

If the other team is running HUNH and if I'm a 350 run stopping defensive tackle and it's 3rd an 15, why don't I just tuck my jersey into my shoulder pad, run to the ref and point at it?

Hoggish1

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on March 06, 2015, 11:34:50 am
Thanks for link. Tabled for more discussion.

Here's an item from the link.

If a helmet comes off a defensive player in the final minute of a half, 10 seconds will be run off the game clock, and the play clock will be set at 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was set to 25 seconds.

So if i'm ahead and on defense in the final minute, don't I have someone knocking their own helmet off every play? To run 10 seconds off the game clock?

Answer: Albarn will use everything available to them...

onebadrubi

That helmet rule is laughable.  Did they not think that one through all the way?

And why does the NCAA love creating grey areas?  No more "overbuilt" facemask.  Who is going to declare one overbuilt and one not?  I guess not more of that full face mask thing that a few of our players were using, I kind of liked it. 

Also of note: No more of the jerseys that look like are modeling and showing off the 6 pack.  Can't remember which team we played last year (Maybe texas?) that had a RB or returner and his jersey was no longer than the lowest part of his pads. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 06, 2015, 11:39:31 am
The Rules are fine as they are. No reason to tinker with it.

It would likely help us, and the NFL rule is 1 yard.  Teams are exploiting the rule, and the refs have said they have a hard time keeping up with the rule at 3 yards, so it's basically open season.

KluchHawg

The helmet rule will probably be similar to the offensive penalty run off in the final minute. The other team should be able to decline the 10 second run off.

The_Iceman

More ways for Gus to find out how to cheat.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: KluchHawg on March 06, 2015, 11:51:28 am
The helmet rule will probably be similar to the offensive penalty run off in the final minute. The other team should be able to decline the 10 second run off.

OK. That makes sense.

presidenthog

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2015, 11:24:06 am
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/proposed-ineligible-downfield-rule-tabled-prop
We really needed that changed from 3 to 1. I don't see why we don't just run block on passing plays if that is the rule. Why even try making a pocket if you can just shove the d line 3 yards up field?

catfish07

The run off is if the offending team is losing. Can be avoided by taking a time out.

If the team is ahead and this happens there is run off.
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

Reservoir Hogs

I think the 3yrd blocking rule needs to fixed... you have all the spread teams running a run/pass option and their linemen get 5 or 6 yards downfield, and I dont think I have ever seen it called.

Pass plays there is no reason for a lineman to be more than a yard downfield.

HamIAm

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 06, 2015, 11:46:37 am
That helmet rule is laughable.  Did they not think that one through all the way?

And why does the NCAA love creating grey areas?  No more "overbuilt" facemask.  Who is going to declare one overbuilt and one not?  I guess not more of that full face mask thing that a few of our players were using, I kind of liked it. 

Also of note: No more of the jerseys that look like are modeling and showing off the 6 pack.  Can't remember which team we played last year (Maybe texas?) that had a RB or returner and his jersey was no longer than the lowest part of his pads. 

I don't understand the reason for this rule. Do overbuilt facemasks provide a competitive advantage or increase injury risks?  All I can see that they do is keep someone's fingers out of my eye if I'm on the bottom of the pile.

cc

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on March 06, 2015, 03:57:14 pm
I think the 3yrd blocking rule needs to fixed... you have all the spread teams running a run/pass option and their linemen get 5 or 6 yards downfield, and I dont think I have ever seen it called.

I agree.  If it was changed to 1 yard, it would be at least 3 the way it is called now.  No reason for lineman being 5 yards down field on pass plays like they are now. 

Pigsknuckles

OK...every play shall be reviewed to determine whether a rules infraction has occurred. Seems to me a perfect answer to the HUNH, and will resolve the problem of having as many officials on the field as players...sheesh.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

regi

I have never seen anything like whining of these spread offense Head Coaches. Art Briles is like the kid at the ball court who cries and takes his ball home when he is losing or threatened. Unreal. It will pass in the future, it is a huge advantage to the offense and unlike the NFL, scoring and offense has been off the charts and rising the last several years.

hawgwild child

Can you imagine what a play action pass will look like now??  Wow maybe Arkansas can take advantage of that, just thinking you know

HamIAm

Quote from: HamIAm on March 06, 2015, 04:07:45 pm
I don't understand the reason for this rule. Do overbuilt facemasks provide a competitive advantage or increase injury risks?  All I can see that they do is keep someone's fingers out of my eye if I'm on the bottom of the pile.

Not wanting to derail this thread but let me reply to my own post in case others are wondering the same thing.

I did not realize the NFL banned overbuilt facemasks this past summer because of safety concerns. I guess I missed that.  The attached article explains the reasoning.

QuoteSo what's the actual issue with the helmets? There's a summary of the research, which was conducted last year under supervision of Dr. Kevin Guskiewicz of the University of North Carolina and Dr. Erik Swartz of the University of New Hampshire, that lists out four specific bullet points as to why these helmets are deemed unsafe.

Those four points break down as such: the added weight affects the structural integrity of the helmets during "impact certification tests;" the added weight of the masks shifts the head's center of gravity forward, which could fatigue the neck and result in a head-down posture during tackling; the smaller spaces in the mask increase the risk of another player's finger getting caught between the wires, potentially resulting in serious injury; and the additional material "may negatively affect a player's behavior during contact and tackling due to an added false sense of security."

It also notes that at least 4 players received exemption from the rule for medical reasons last year.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/7/1/5861316/nfl-facemask-overbuilt-rules-2014-chris-canty#4092115

Cinco de Hogo

You do know how these things go?  The NFL(example) funds a research expecting a certain result and the get what the want.  Meat, milk, chicken, soybeans!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on March 06, 2015, 03:57:14 pm

The rule doesn't need to be fixed, the officials just need to throw the doggone flag. How much of an official are you if you can't recognize a player who is 5 yards or more downfield rather than 3 yards or less?

This is predicated on an excuse to make the officials job easier and even then, I suspect that they won't throw flags when an O-Lineman is more than 3 yards downfield in one of these situations.
Go Hogs Go!

Josh Goforth

Also has to be the entire body of the offensive lineman past the 3 yards mark. Just a foot or half the body isn't enough to throw a flag, so refs are trying to determine e that in real time.

Cinco de Hogo

Seems to me it would be a lot easier to see a 6' 5" 300 lbs guy three yds downfield than it would at one yd amongest the mass of body's likely to be in that same space, if that is your job as a ref.  I still say that in the SEC the refs are gonna see what they want to see and the yds don't mean a hill of beans.

Killean

They did say that the three yards downfield would be a point of emphasis this season.  I also figure we'll see that rule revisited soon.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2015, 11:54:36 am
More ways for Gus to find out how to cheat.
That's the book he ought to write.

20hog11

I've never once seen this rule enforced unless it's blatant like when one of the linemen doesn't seem to know the play and runs downfield on accident and he is like 7 yards down the field. Bret Bielema can't be the voice behind this issue because people already don't take him seriously due to everything he said last year about HUNH. I hope the refs enforce the 3 yd rule better this upcoming season, but I highly doubt that will be the case.