Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our next opponent Charlotte

Started by JHicks3636, March 18, 2018, 10:26:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

Charlotte has been playing Florida International University (FIU) this weekend. So far Charlotte has won 10-9 and lost 12-6. The rubber game is today. Assuming they are using their best pitchers we might see plenty more runs for us midweek. By the way FIU is the university that had the recent bridge collapse that resulted in several deaths. 

Wisco Pig

March 18, 2018, 12:16:58 pm #1 Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:52:17 pm by Wisco Pig
Charlotte's best pitcher is Josh Maciejewski, a lefty who started Friday against FIU and didn't have a good outing. He was much more effective here in Athens a few weeks ago (7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER), when Charlotte was swept by Georgia in a weekend series.

I guess that Charlotte could start Maciejewski in the Wednesday game against Arkansas, but the 49ers have a weekend series at Middle Tennessee that begins a couple of days later, and their pitching depth is thin to begin with.

My guess for Tuesday is that Charlotte will start junior Chase Gooding (2-0, 2.77, 13 IP).  He started last Tuesday, pitched 4 innings, and got credit for the win over Wake Forest, which so far is the 49ers' best win this season.

Wednesday's guess:  Do you remember Jonah Patten?  He was a pretty impressive recruit for the Hogs a few years back and appeared in relief for Arkansas 11 times in 2015 before leaving the program.  Assuming that Gooding and Charlotte's three starters from this weekend are all off the board for Wednesday, Patten's the only other guy who has more than one start for Charlotte this season.  Patten has an 8.71 ERA in 10.1 innings.

SPAL

I always had high hopes in Patten. He just isn't very good.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 18, 2018, 12:59:45 pm
I always had high hopes in Patten. He just isn't very good.

Not due to lack of pure stuff, though.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

ucahogfan

So, it sounds like DVH might mix the lineups up both games out in Charlotte.  Hopefully he comes for something like:

Tuesday
C - Opitz
1B - McFarland
2B - Shaddy
3B - Martin
SS - Biggers
LF - Bonfield
CF - Fletcher
RF - Kjerstad
DH - Turney

Wednesday
C - Plunkett
1B - Bonfield
2B - Wilson
SS - Kenley
3B - Martin
LF - Koch
CF - Fletcher
RF - Cole
DH - Turney

That mixes in some players who need ABs moving forward and gives Koch a couple days off behind the plate.

JHicks3636

Charlotte wins its rubber game with FIU 8-6.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 18, 2018, 04:35:34 pm
So, it sounds like DVH might mix the lineups up both games out in Charlotte.  Hopefully he comes for something like:

Tuesday
C - Opitz
1B - McFarland
2B - Shaddy
3B - Martin
SS - Biggers
LF - Bonfield
CF - Fletcher
RF - Kjerstad
DH - Turney

Wednesday
C - Plunkett
1B - Bonfield
2B - Wilson
SS - Kenley
3B - Martin
LF - Koch
CF - Fletcher
RF - Cole
DH - Turney

That mixes in some players who need ABs moving forward and gives Koch a couple days off behind the plate.

Did you get that from DVH talking to the media or something?  Not questioning you I just like to watch DVH when he's talking about the team.

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 18, 2018, 06:49:16 pm
Did you get that from DVH talking to the media or something?  Not questioning you I just like to watch DVH when he's talking about the team.
He did say last night that he was going to mix it up some in Charlotte, but did not indicate who would start.  I think it would be a good time to give Koch six days off behind the plate before we really get into full swing for SEC play and have some midweek games (like Texas Tech and Missouri State) where he will be needed to catch.  A few days off now can pay huge dividends in May and June.

I also just want to see Turney get some ABs instead of just pinch hit appearances.  His power is special.

BigBrandonAllenFan

If i was Charlotte i would go ahead and forfiet and save the bus fare.

JHicks3636

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 18, 2018, 10:10:49 pm
If i was Charlotte i would go ahead and forfiet and save the bus fare.
We play at Charlotte so they will probably walk over to the stadium.

HighcountryHog

It looks like we play at the UNCC baseball stadium Tuesday then at BB&T Ballpark(Charlotte Triple A team) in downtown on Wednesday. 
no bumps, no fat chicks

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: JHicks3636 on March 18, 2018, 10:55:34 pm
We play at Charlotte so they will probably walk over to the stadium.

In that case if I were Charlotte I would forfeit and save the wear and tear on my shoe soles.

Thanks for your PBP's, JH.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: HighcountryHog on March 19, 2018, 08:17:44 am
It looks like we play at the UNCC baseball stadium Tuesday then at BB&T Ballpark(Charlotte Triple A team) in downtown on Wednesday. 

I'm assuming no TV for these games.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

Letsgohoggin

pigelow

it saying tomorrow nights game is on BEIN SPORTS and would be available through dish & direct tv

elkhog

Quote from: pigelow on March 19, 2018, 11:46:55 am
it saying tomorrow nights game is on BEIN SPORTS and would be available through dish & direct tv

I don't have Cox so sure hoping to catch it tomorrow night.  Is BEIN Sports an internet stream or channel on Dish and Direct?
GO HOGS!!!

elkhog

NM.  BEIN SPORTS is not in my package.  Must be in the top package.   :-[

I thought all Hog games were supposed to be carried by SEC Network so we would never miss a game?   That doesn't seem to be the case in baseball.   
GO HOGS!!!

ricepig

Quote from: elkhog on March 19, 2018, 02:54:10 pm
NM.  BEIN SPORTS is not in my package.  Must be in the top package.   :-[

I thought all Hog games were supposed to be carried by SEC Network so we would never miss a game?   That doesn't seem to be the case in baseball.   

You can't watch a game at an opponents place that isn't set up for the SEC Network. We don't even have the ability to do the games at Verizon Arena.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Just curious with the UofA on Spring Break will they even come home or go straight to Gainesville?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

elkhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2018, 03:01:28 pm
You can't watch a game at an opponents place that isn't set up for the SEC Network. We don't even have the ability to do the games at Verizon Arena.

Anyone know it it will be streaming anywhere else?
GO HOGS!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 19, 2018, 03:22:14 pm
Just curious with the UofA on Spring Break will they even come home or go straight to Gainesville?

They'll go to Gainesville, it wouldn't make sense to fly home Wednesday and then turn around and fly to Gainesville from Fayetteville on Thursday.

Pudgepork

Gainesville at spring break?   Tough task keeping their minds on the games

BroyledNutts

March 19, 2018, 06:18:06 pm #22 Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:36:27 pm by BroyledNutts
Weather looks crappy for Tuesday's game - Weather Channel forecasting 80% chance of rain, mid 50s, and NE winds ... Wednesday looks playable, though.
Here's hoping their forecasters are as good as ours.

I hope we get the Tuesday game in. BB&T ballpark is similar in dimensions to Baum - 330 to left, 400 straight away, but only 315 to right with a 14ft. wall. The park's orientation, being in downtown Charlotte, may not allow the wind to have the same effect on balls hit as it does at Baum, making this an opportunity to see if we can finally get the bats going and hit a few out of the park.

skinnypig

Bein is 620 on directv taped delayed at 6:30

pigture perfect

Quote from: Pudgepork on March 19, 2018, 05:10:48 pm
Gainesville at spring break?   Tough task keeping their minds on the games
Gainsville isn't exactly on the coast, but close enough to go get some sand in your shorts. I'd say it would be a pretty good spring break trip if DVH would allow it. Ehhh, probably not.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PORKULATOR

Dvh should make anyone that wants to go to the beach take a bat and return with a beaten 2 death shark. Batting practice and strength training rolled into one.
👍😉
I got stop smoking so much weed
🤣😂
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.