Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME 19 THREAD: #5 Arkansas (14-4, 1-0 SEC) vs Kentucky (14-4, 0-1 SEC)

Started by Razorbacks#1, March 17, 2018, 07:37:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorbacks#1

#5 ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS vs #4 Kentucky Wildcats
at Baum Stadium   Saturday 2:00 p.m.

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2018 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL GAME 19 THREAD
   #5 ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS ( 14-4, 1-0 SEC) vs #4 Kentucky Wildcats (14-4, 0-1 SEC)

This is game 2 of 3 games in Baum Stadium which began Friday and concludes on Saturday. Due to impending weather, today's game will be the first of a doubleheader. Game 2 of the doubleheader will start approximately 30 minutes after the completion of game 1.

Saturday's First Pitch is set for 2:00 p.m. central time and THIS GAME WILL NOT BE TELEVISED. For full coverage of the game, SEC+ at WATCHESPN will be provided.

Play-by-Play Narrative:
For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for great Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

JHicks3636 will provide the play-by-play narrative for this this game.  A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, , ucaHogfan, sir-pigs-a-lot, JHGiunta, HogFansReunited, Arkansas Traveler, Maddhog, JHicks3636 and Razorbacks#1 will assist with stats, back up, and support. We hope that the many other regular posters will join in also and continue to add quality input. If you are new to the Extra Innings - Razorback Baseball Game Threads and you understand the rules, feel free to join in the conversations. If you have questions, read this:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626632.0

Click below for: The Fight Song:
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__Arkansas_Fight_Song__(Play,_Sing,_Play).mp3

Click below for: University Of Arkansas Alma Mater 
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

Thanks to "sevenof400" for the link.
                                                                          NATIONAL ANTHEM

TIME TO CALL THE HOGS!

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

0                        2:00 p.m.                 0

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | - |  R  |  H  | E  |LOB
Kentucky          |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   
Arkansas          |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   

THUNDER!

TebowHater

So who do we think will pitch in game 3? Is Murphy ready...I assume he would have been able to go tomorrow for sure? This game getting moved up hurts us with him too. Reindl, Cronin are out. Rutledge/McKinney out.

If DVH had any say on whether to have a DH, I'm surprised he did. If I were him I would have been content to at worst split the series 1-1 (and not have a game 3) or at best have a chance when I am a bit more full staffed on Sunday.  That is, I would have been willing to let the weather do what it will and take my chances at trying to get the game in.

Virgil

Kentucky is going my to have the same issues.  Both teams are pretty equal as far as talent.  Hopefully we can at least split today and take the series
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

JHicks3636

Both games will be 9 innings. Presently game 2 is not showing up at the stats monitor site so I hope they get the memo.

jry04

Quote from: TebowHater on March 17, 2018, 11:35:28 am
So who do we think will pitch in game 3? Is Murphy ready...I assume he would have been able to go tomorrow for sure? This game getting moved up hurts us with him too. Reindl, Cronin are out. Rutledge/McKinney out.

If DVH had any say on whether to have a DH, I'm surprised he did. If I were him I would have been content to at worst split the series 1-1 (and not have a game 3) or at best have a chance when I am a bit more full staffed on Sunday.  That is, I would have been willing to let the weather do what it will and take my chances at trying to get the game in.
If you have a top 10 team playing at your place and you won game 1, you do not be content with 1-1. That is a loser mentality. If you have hopes to be a national seed then you should expect to win every series. Why would a team with the amount of draft picks we inevitably have be afraid to play Kentucky in 2 more games? I can assure you, at the end of the season, a series win over UK will hold a lot more weight than 1-1. Maybe we lose, but regardless I would rather take the chance and get all 3 in.

They always say sweeping a DH is hard to do. I think playing a DH today plays into our favor to win the series. Sweeping this series was unlikely, but everyone would be thrilled with a 4-1 week this week. I think a DH gives us a better chance to split the next two.

Quote from: Virgil on March 17, 2018, 11:56:38 am
Kentucky is going my to have the same issues.  Both teams are pretty equal as far as talent.  Hopefully we can at least split today and take the series
The one advantage UK has is they have an elite starter in Justin Lewis. He is having some trouble so far this year, but the guy is a top 5 round talent. He is a 6'7" RHP, that has a lot more Ks and only 5 walks. With that being said, their Sunday starter is injured, so I have no clue who they throw in game 3 today.

TebowHater

Quote from: jry04 on March 17, 2018, 12:11:06 pm
If you have a top 10 team playing at your place and you won game 1, you do not be content with 1-1. That is a loser mentality. If you have hopes to be a national seed then you should expect to win every series. Why would a team with the amount of draft picks we inevitably have be afraid to play Kentucky in 2 more games? I can assure you, at the end of the season, a series win over UK will hold a lot more weight than 1-1. Maybe we lose, but regardless I would rather take the chance and get all 3 in.

They always say sweeping a DH is hard to do. I think playing a DH today plays into our favor to win the series. Sweeping this series was unlikely, but everyone would be thrilled with a 4-1 week this week. I think a DH gives us a better chance to split the next two.

I said that (game 3 getting cancelled) is the worst case scenario. You want to play them, you just want to play them at full strength. You have set up and planned on playing them a day later. Having to play a day earlier destroys your strategy. I am a proponent of playing best on best.

The sweeping the DH theory is the other side of this coin, and indeed, is supposedly hard to do.

popcornhog

Is it televised?

It's officially baseball season for me once the hogs are no longer playing basketball — I'm ready to dive in!

WPS
WPS

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

Starting line-up for Kentucky

C  Squires        .391
CF Aklinski       .319
LF Pompey       .390
2B Becker        .318
DH Collett        .333
3B Heyer         .383
RF Johnson      .328
1B Cottam       .309
SS Dawson      .245
P   Lewis          3-1, 4.07 era, 5 BB, 37 K

JHicks3636

Staring line-up for ARKANSAS

SS BIGGERS    .305
RF COLE          .362
3B MARTIN      .404
DH BONFIELD  .367
CF FLETCHER   .191
1B McFARLAND .387
LF KJERSTAD    .350
C  KOCH           .333
2B SHADDY      .278
P   CAMPBELL   1-2, 2.00 era, 8 BB, 19 K

JHicks3636

Some folks seem to be down on Campbell. He is 1-2 with only a 2.00 era. He has been victimized by poor play behind him. He has given up 9 runs but only 4 have been earned. The D needs to play better for him. For his part he needs to improve his BB/K ratio which is presently 8/19. Combine that many walks with plenty of errors and you can see where his problems have been.

Imftaz1974

It's not showing that it will be on sec+. It did show it yesterday at least the 2 o'clock game

PoconoHog

Quote from: Imftaz1974 on March 17, 2018, 12:58:02 pm
It's not showing that it will be on sec+. It did show it yesterday at least the 2 o'clock game
Shows up on the 'upcoming" games for me
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: Imftaz1974 on March 17, 2018, 12:58:02 pm
Both games are listed on the UPCOMING tab on Watchespn

THUNDER!

Imftaz1974

PoconoHog

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

PoconoHog

Be interesting to see how "tight" the strike zone is today. If it becomes a "pitch to contact" type of game by the pitchers...could be entertaining if both teams play up to their capabilities.

Pudgepork

razCzar

Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody!

GO get'em HOGS!

Razorbacks#1

0                        Top 1st                 0

Kentucky          |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   
Arkansas          |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   

THUNDER!

JHicks3636

Squires leads off Game 2 of the series(he was robbed of a homer on the first pitch of last night's game), takes a ball, 1-1, 1-2, grounds out to 1B unassisted

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

Due in the Kentucky 1st

1. Squires       .391
2. Aklinski      .319
3. Pompey      .390

I forgot this at the start of the inning

Hawgphish

JHicks3636

Hawgphish

JHicks3636

Becker comes in hitting .318 and takes a ball, 1-1, 1-2, Ks looking

0-0 after 1/2

JHicks3636

At least Campbell took care of a couple of guys with 2 strikes on them. We had trouble with that last night.

Razorbacks#1

0                        Bot 1st                 0

Kentucky       0 |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 1   

THUNDER!

PoconoHog

Good job Campbell...looking more comfortable on the mound than he has been

ucahogfan

Looks like this ump is going to give that inside corner to LHHs.  That would have probably been a ball last night.

JHicks3636

For Arkansas in the 1st

1. Biggers   .305
2. Cole        .362
3. Martin     .404

Pudgepork

JHicks3636

Biggers who is back over .300 at .305, takes a ball, 2-0, 2-1, 2-2, grounds out to 2B

JHicks3636

Cole starts with a strike, 1-1, HOMERS to center

1-0 Arkansas

Pudgepork

War Boar

TebowHater

ucahogfan

Cole's 2nd HR of the series (both in the 1st inning) is his 6th of the year along with his 15th RBI.

He is now tied for the team lead with Martin in HRs and that was the 30th of the season for the Hogs.

JHicks3636

Martin who is still over .400, takes a ball, 1-1, 1-2, Ks swinging

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

SPAL

TebowHater

That first strike called at Martin's ankles set the tone for that at bat, unfortunately.

JHicks3636