Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WatchESPN coverage of baseball

Started by NoogaHog, March 05, 2018, 09:58:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NoogaHog

I love that we live in an age when you can see college baseball and other college sports for out of market teams on line.

One day last week, I was working at my desk and had the Arkansas-Dayton game on the computer in the background. At one point the Hogs had the game well in hand and I looked at the WatchESPN dashboard to see what else was on so I could toggle betwwen innings. I saw that UAPB was playing at Tennessee. So I gave it a shot.

The Arkansas game had a full crew, multiple camera angles, graphics, and play-by-play and color commentary (even if he did call every slow curve an ephus pitch). The UAPB-UT game had a kid with a blurry webcam in center field. No graphics, no other camera angles. The play-by-play was given by what sounded like a student. It was hard to watch.

As an SEC school with a big athletic budget, I would have expected more. My daughter plays soccer at a college with 700 students. They webcast their home games for most sports and it looks about the same as the UT game did.

Who makes those decisions? Is it ESPN or UT or the SEC? Why would UT not want to present themselves better? I don't really care about UT, I just was shocked by what I saw from a "Big Time" school.

I know this post is not really relevant to anything. I was just sharing an experience.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

BigBrandonAllenFan

Watch espn is the best thing to ever happen for college baseball.

Swinesong

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 05, 2018, 11:41:00 am
I have a ROKU smart tv and account which allowed me to get Watch ESPN free and watch all games on my 46 inch screen. It's great!

The Royal Ham

Coupled with Chromecast it is a wonderful thing.
January 05, 2024, 07:00:13 am
Thanks Hammer....I'll post another Saturday drank thread tomorrow...in the meantime, post anything you want here or ignore it.

Rev

SPAL

Lol...we all love watchESPN for college baseball until they forget to broadcast in until the 2nd inning.

To your question, Tennessee isn't big time baseball. I imagine there is cost that goes into the broadcast. We don't mind spending it because we are big time baseball. I would argue that our baseball program is bigger than some sec basketball programs and maybe a couple of football.....simply in terms of popularity at least.

Tennessee isn't gonna spend the money to invest in a broadcast that 8 people will watch.

This is only speculation of course.....I don't know for certain.

NoogaHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 05, 2018, 12:43:37 pm
Lol...we all love watchESPN for college baseball until they forget to broadcast in until the 2nd inning.

To your question, Tennessee isn't big time baseball. I imagine there is cost that goes into the broadcast. We don't mind spending it because we are big time baseball. I would argue that our baseball program is bigger than some sec basketball programs and maybe a couple of football.....simply in terms of popularity at least.

Tennessee isn't gonna spend the money to invest in a broadcast that 8 people will watch.

Good points! You are right about the popularity of Arkansas baseball. It is probably tough for UT baseball, getting outshined by UT softball. But I guess the UT men's basketball went through that for years with the women out drawing the men.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Kevin

tony has a real up hill battle
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Baconomics

It sure beats watching on justin teevee

Tony Perkis

Yes it is.

HogFansReunited

Yep, I forgot how spoiled I was until that game wasn't on.  It is amazing how far technology has come, even 10 years ago no one would have thought that we would be able to watch almost every college baseball game.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Cotton

I know a lot of schools like to give their Broadcast majors some real life experience and let them run some of the broadcasts...

Our students run some of the cameras and parabs during basketball games.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HamIAm

I figured the cost is covered through the SEC network and ESPN contracts with Cable and Satellite Networks. You can't get SEC+ or Watch ESPN unless you have an account with a service provider that carries the SEC Network or ESPN.

CPL HOG

I remember the first few years of Baseball on Razorvision was pretty rough but at least you could kind of see the game. 

ricepig

Quote from: CPL HOG on March 06, 2018, 02:33:14 pm
I remember the first few years of Baseball on Razorvision was pretty rough but at least you could kind of see the game. 

Yeah, I'll catch myself muttering why they can't keep up with score, or balls/strikes, or outs on occasion. Then I remember back to the RazorVision days and say "Thank you SEC Network" .

Tony Perkis

Quote from: CPL HOG on March 06, 2018, 02:33:14 pm
The nostalgia of Razorvision...

BigBrandonAllenFan