Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: 'We're in year 5. I totally get it'

Started by gchamblee, June 25, 2017, 12:16:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 12:06:59 pm
I was simply showing that he has accomplished more than just a Liberty Bowl win as you claimed. If you dont like it, quit misrepresenting.

I was simply pointing out that his best season netted us a Liberty Bowl win.  That is the pinnacle of his success at Arkansas.  The zenith.

If you don't like it... well, I don't really know what to tell you. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 26, 2017, 11:08:08 am
You know, I am not a big fan of the "sunshine pumper" fans that sh.it rainbows everyday, but it sure would be nice if we had a bit more positivity and optimism than we do...It is really starting to wear on me, coming into every single thread and reading all the negativity.  I think I am about done with MMQB.

I truly believe that CBB is the right guy and that we are about to have some really solid years of football.  I mean for CBBs full body of work as a head coach and the fact that this is year 5 with all of his players plus a year or 2 of game experience for most of his players, a senior QB, you would think that there would be a bit more optimism from our fans going into this season.  It is kind of sad to be honest..

For all the naysayers out there that want CBBs head and think there is no way he gets the job done here at Arkansas, than who do y'all suggest that would come in here and win 9-10+ games a year and make y'all happy and optimistic???  And think about the next few years in a new rebuild that probably would not be so good either...

I myself do not believe there are serious options out there that would be a better fit for our program for the long haul.  I feel like CBB is a guy that will stay here long term, even after becoming a consistent winner in the SEC and not just jump at the first bigger offer that comes his way.  The only way I feel that we could get a better coach is if we took a shot at a younger, up and comer type coach, but I feel like if we did that and the up and comer became successful, we would not be able to keep him here for too long anyway.  So that comes back to needing a coach just below the top 5-10 elite coaches in the country, and I think CBB is in that next tier and we can keep him long term.

You make a good point about negativity leading up to football season.

I left another message board and came to Hogville for one reason: it was about this same time of year, and every damn thread about football was negative. I simply decided I no longer wished to be a part of those kind of conversations, and I looked for a board that suited me better.

I am hanging out here a little bit more now because it is the summer and work is slower for me. Once the season starts, I hope I can discipline myself each week to log on, post the CFB pick'em, and log back off. If I can just do that, I will enjoy our football season much more, regardless of how many games we win or lose.

Wildhog

I did have a good time at the Liberty Bowl, though.  It was a nice day trip.  Had Central BBQ after the game.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 26, 2017, 12:09:25 pm
You make a good point about negativity leading up to football season.

I left another message board and came to Hogville for one reason: it was about this same time of year, and every damn thread about football was negative. I simply decided I no longer wished to be a part of those kind of conversations, and I looked for a board that suited me better.

I am hanging out here a little bit more now because it is the summer and work is slower for me. Once the season starts, I hope I can discipline myself each week to log on, post the CFB pick'em, and log back off. If I can just do that, I will enjoy our football season much more, regardless of how many games we win or lose.

I really liked 49ers post.  Was about to say post more.

Is it always this bad this time of year?  I generally read and post more in MMQB during the season. It would be nice to talk about football rather than defending the few positive posters here like Muskogee who try to bring some equilibrium to the discussions.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 26, 2017, 11:24:51 am
That's what I don't get. He has all the pieces he will ever have from a talent and depth standpoint with the recruiting challenges at the UofA. This is the season we should be picked to contend. Nationally we aren't even in the conversation. That's concerning.

What conditions merit us being a contender and expecting 10 wins? Is this not it?

I'll give you three reasons we aren't picked to contend:

1.  Alabama
2.  LSU
3.  Auburn

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: hawgmasta on June 25, 2017, 09:22:51 am
That's a great point and also kind of scary. That's usually when most coaches come up with a new game plan of what's working and what to attack. Does that mean that we don't do that well or at all? I don't know. I guess we'll continue to find out.

I figure it either means we are really good at scheming prior to the game so we get a better than expected first half, or really bad at adjusting once it starts so worse than expected second. Its most likely some lesser combination of the two.

Gonzo

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 11:24:03 am
The people ruining every single thread on MMQ will not be happy regardless of how many we win. They say they will, but they will not. Their entire goal here is to make you unhappy with the current administration. It has nothing to do with football.

It's far from one side ruining this place. It takes two sides to have an argument, and both sides are hellbent around here to beat the other into submission. That's what ruins so many threads around here. 

Go Hogs!

gchamblee

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on June 26, 2017, 12:35:10 pm
I figure it either means we are really good at scheming prior to the game so we get a better than expected first half, or really bad at adjusting once it starts so worse than expected second. Its most likely some lesser combination of the two.

I really don't think it is a half time adjustment problem. I think Dan Enos is a damn fine schemer and play caller. Obviously, our defensive scheme was bad both first and second half regardless of what was adjusted at halftime. I hope we fixed that issue by replacing our DC. Fumbling the ball and throwing interceptions is not a scheme, it is an offense trying to overcome a crap defense and just making mental mistakes in the process.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 26, 2017, 12:48:23 pm
My visits to MMQB this time of year are based around the fascination with sunshine-esque spin topics generated seemingly out of thin air with nothing more to support them than blind faith and subsequent vocal disdain for any and all dissent. 

I'm pretty sure everyone who posts here even semi-regularly would like nothing more than for the football program to field a national discussion-worthy team at least every few years... no rational Razorback fan expects that every year, or even every other year.
I'm also pretty sure most everyone who posts here would be fine with a yearly cycle that included 3-9 type years if that was the cost of loading up while targeting a particular season to go on a run. 

As it stands today... what can we base expectations on to hope we even get close to that in the next few years with Bielema? 

When I hear that Bielema says 'he gets it'... well I think it's fair at this point to forgive the show-me skeptics.

If I had to choose one word to explain my thoughts going into this season, it would be - VARIANCE.

I think myself and many others would agree that this season could end up all over the map - from a 3 win team to a 10 win team.  Extremely polarizing, which in turn leads to a ton of arguing within the fanbase (more than usual), from sunshine pumpers to end of the world type posters.

With that said, I choose to look at the positives going into the season - that we have a proven coach going into his 5th year with a senior QB that may be the best in the SEC.  That he is fielding a squad with 100% guys that he recruited and have some experience learning his style.  An O-line with 7ish guys with starting experience, an unproven, but very talented WR group that includes 1 of the top JUCO WRs in the nation last year, 2 very talented and promising young RBs, with a defense that cannot get any worse and possibly our most talented front 7 in years, and a very experienced secondary.

Now I know you could argue every single point I made above and find a negative to point out, but I choose to be optimistic and happy.  I choose the happy side of the variance.  Why not??
SCREW Vandy!

Wildhog

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 26, 2017, 01:23:32 pm
Anyone who bothered to wander over to UW message boards during the transition found a fanbase that wasn't exactly upset to see Bielema go. 

Yep.  Now prepare yourself for incoming.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 26, 2017, 11:33:18 am
You seem to always fall back on "don't have players."  Have you ever heard coaches talk about out-scheming another team?  You do realize during Miss St best season there were zero 4 or 5* recruits on that team?  And how do you know if the recruiting services got it right when awarding your coveted stars?  Last but not least, why are less than 50% of 5* athletes in the NFL?  The bottom line is that it is impossible to say what a "player" is or isn't.  If your take on "players" was true Texas wouldn't be struggling, Clemson wouldn't have beat Bama, Boise would have been stomped by OU.  If what you say about "players" is true, why bother to even play the games?

I suppose it's because when I look at the successful programs they recruit well. Sure some teams are able to put together a great season that don't, but I look at the trends and not the outliers.

Yeah, I've heard coaches talk about out-scheming opponents, but if you tell me to predict games before they are played I'm going with the most talented team and I'm going to be right way more than I'm wrong.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 26, 2017, 12:48:23 pm

As it stands today... what can we base expectations on to hope we even get close to that in the next few years with Bielema? 

If expectations are based upon wins, you have to consider that Arkansas is likely to play four or five teams every year stacked four or five years deep with Top 10 recruiting classes.  Half of those games are likely to be on the road.  In any given year, the Hogs will be getting points in four to six games. That number is probably seven looking forward today at 2017.  So there's that.

Those who expect more wins in the future can look to Bielema's past, the experience of other schools and coaches in situations similar to Arkansas's, and to the history of the SEC West.  Arkansas has been to the SEC Championship Game three times.  Alabama won't be invinceable forever.  I posted details the other day for Steve Spurrier at South Carolina and Mark Dantonio at Michigan State.  Bielema's trajectory at Arkansas is similar to those case studies.  He did what he did at Wisconsin with classes ranked in th 40s.

The only way to compete at Arkansas is the way Bielema is doing it.  The alternative is to move the Big 12.  If we're gonna whine, we should whine about moving to the SEC, not about what our coaches and players are trying to do to compete in the SEC West.

PorkRinds

I readily agree with all of that except the part about having a proven coach. 

It is disingenuous to gloss over the steering capacity in which Barry Alvarez has managed the UW football program during his entire tenure there... whether acting as HC or AD. 

It's easy to say CBB wanted to leave UW to 'pave his own way' so to speak... leaving a seemingly secure position (was it?) to go into (for him) uncharted waters infested with SEC sharks.  But that notion also reinforces the underlying fact of Barry Alvarez having his more than just a finger on the pulse of the UW football program.  It wouldn't surprise me a prideful, boastful Bielema would find that grating. 

Anyone who bothered to wander over to UW message boards during the transition found a fanbase that wasn't exactly upset to see Bielema go.

Are the message board postings of a spurned fan bar really the way to judge the job a coach did?  It was a mixed bag over there just as it would be here in a similar situation.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 26, 2017, 01:41:41 pm
Are the message board postings of a spurned fan bar really the way to judge the job a coach did?  It was a mixed bag over there just as it would be here in a similar situation.

When we steal a coach from someone, I want their message board to reek of doom, gloom, and despair.  I want their fan base to feel as though we stole any hope of success they may have had.
1909/1964/1965/1977

thebignasty

It is disingenuous to gloss over the steering capacity in which Barry Alvarez has managed the UW football program during his entire tenure there... whether acting as HC or AD. 

It's easy to say CBB wanted to leave UW to 'pave his own way' so to speak... leaving a seemingly secure position (was it?) to go into (for him) uncharted waters infested with SEC sharks.  But that notion also reinforces the underlying fact of Barry Alvarez having his more than just a finger on the pulse of the UW football program.  It wouldn't surprise me a prideful, boastful Bielema would find that grating. 

They've take a step backward since he left.  Not off the cliff, but not winning the b10 and making rose bowls- granted, Michigan and Ohio State getting it back together have a big part in that, too.

thebignasty

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 01:45:06 pm
When we steal a coach from someone, I want their message board to reek of doom, gloom, and despair.  I want their fan base to feel as though we stole any hope of success they may have had.
Hard to believe that we can go make a hire like that, when Florida is hiring McElwain from Colorado state, Georgia is hiring Kirby Smart, and LSU is hiring Ed Orgeron.

MuskogeeHogFan

Oh yeah, those poor Wisconsin fans, they really had it so bad with Bielema at the helm. 68-25 (.731) over 7 years, 3 Big Ten Championships, ranked in the top 25 in 6 of his 7 years there with 3 of those being AP top 10 finishes and 4 of his seasons being double digit win seasons. The only real blemishes on what they achieved at Wisconsin was having a bowl record of 2-4 and only going 1-5 against the Big Ten's version of Alabama in Ohio State.

Sounds like a spoiled fan base to me. This goes back to what I was saying earlier today that fans always want more no matter how much you win. Now I'll grant you the competition in his Division wasn't what we face every season in the West, but I respect the man for choosing to put his coaching reputation on the line in the toughest Division in all of college football.

But those poor, poor Wisconsin fans...they really had it bad. Poor souls.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: thebignasty on June 26, 2017, 01:50:56 pm
Hard to believe that we can go make a hire like that, when Florida is hiring McElwain from Colorado state, Georgia is hiring Kirby Smart, and LSU is hiring Ed Orgeron.

Frankly, I'd rather go get an up-and-comer.  If we're "stealing" a coach from a name program, there's probably going to be some baggage.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 26, 2017, 01:53:25 pm
So you're saying if Dave Van Horn suddenly leaves for another baseball program we're going to have "he wasn't that good anyway" type posts around here?

There would ABSOLUTELY be some of that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

thebignasty

So you're saying if Dave Van Horn suddenly leaves for another baseball program we're going to have "he wasn't that good anyway" type posts around here?

I strongly doubt it. 
The sense of loss and the display of it would be evident.

lol, extra innings is probably the best and most rational forum on this site, and we have dudes who show up questioning whether Dave still has it or ever had it every time a we strike out or a pitcher falls behind in a count.   

thebignasty

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 01:53:01 pm
Frankly, I'd rather go get an up-and-comer.  If we're "stealing" a coach from a name program, there's probably going to be some baggage.

Think you really just have to get lucky, unless you're hiring Saban, Harbaugh, or Urban.    Maybe you grab an up and comer that becomes the next one of those guys- maybe you get Will Muschamp.

Wildhog

Quote from: thebignasty on June 26, 2017, 01:57:32 pm
Think you really just have to get lucky, unless you're hiring Saban, Harbaugh, or Urban.    Maybe you grab an up and comer that becomes the next one of those guys- maybe you get Will Muschamp.

I'm comfortable with that.  It's better than winning seven games in perpetuity. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Can't think of even a small carry-on that Bret Bielema brought with him.  Flip flops and reggae maybe?

Hogs49ers

Okay so let's say we get lucky and land an up-and-comer that is legit and proves he can win in the toughest division in football, beating Bama and LSU coaching at Arkansas - how long do you think he stays at Arkansas before he gets offered a huge contract at OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, LSU, Florida, Bama?
SCREW Vandy!

thebignasty

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 26, 2017, 02:04:26 pm
Okay so let's say we get lucky and land an up-and-comer that is legit and proves he can win in the toughest division in football, beating Bama and LSU coaching at Arkansas - how long do you think he stays at Arkansas before he gets offered a huge contract at OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, LSU, Florida, Bama?

I think we have deep enough pockets to keep a guy if he has it rolling here, unless he wants the NFL.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 26, 2017, 01:11:19 pm
If I had to choose one word to explain my thoughts going into this season, it would be - VARIANCE.

I think myself and many others would agree that this season could end up all over the map - from a 3 win team to a 10 win team.  Extremely polarizing, which in turn leads to a ton of arguing within the fanbase (more than usual), from sunshine pumpers to end of the world type posters.

With that said, I choose to look at the positives going into the season - that we have a proven coach going into his 5th year with a senior QB that may be the best in the SEC.  That he is fielding a squad with 100% guys that he recruited and have some experience learning his style.  An O-line with 7ish guys with starting experience, an unproven, but very talented WR group that includes 1 of the top JUCO WRs in the nation last year, 2 very talented and promising young RBs, with a defense that cannot get any worse and possibly our most talented front 7 in years, and a very experienced secondary.

Now I know you could argue every single point I made above and find a negative to point out, but I choose to be optimistic and happy.  I choose the happy side of the variance.  Why not??

I seriously think we win 8+ this year. If we do manage to win just 3, Ill knock on his door myself and offer to help him pack his bags.

gchamblee

I did, and they were pissed.

ricepig

gchamblee

You mean like stealing a coach to be our OC?

gchamblee

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 02:21:50 pm
You mean like stealing a coach to be our OC?

Obviously a different situation, but to be clear, I love Dan Enos.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 26, 2017, 02:04:26 pm

Long enough to give me a season or two of happiness.
1909/1964/1965/1977

AirWarren

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 02:24:44 pm
Long enough to give me a season or two of happiness.

What a sad, sad way to look at things.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

I strongly doubt it. 

Without a doubt. We already have a certain segment of the fan base that was doing that at the end of last seaso. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on June 26, 2017, 02:39:46 pm
Winning makes me happy.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 01:52:42 pm
Oh yeah, those poor Wisconsin fans, they really had it so bad with Bielema at the helm. 68-25 (.731) over 7 years, 3 Big Ten Championships, ranked in the top 25 in 6 of his 7 years there with 3 of those being AP top 10 finishes and 4 of his seasons being double digit win seasons. The only real blemishes on what they achieved at Wisconsin was having a bowl record of 2-4 and only going 1-5 against the Big Ten's version of Alabama in Ohio State.

Sounds like a spoiled fan base to me. This goes back to what I was saying earlier today that fans always want more no matter how much you win. Now I'll grant you the competition in his Division wasn't what we face every season in the West, but I respect the man for choosing to put his coaching reputation on the line in the toughest Division in all of college football.

But those poor, poor Wisconsin fans...they really had it bad. Poor souls.

Would you be happy if Bielema wound up producing these results at Arkansas over the next 7 years, even if he only beat Alabama once in those 7 years?
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

I strongly doubt it. 

You are out of your mind if you don't think there are "fans" who want to fire Dave Van Horn RIGHT NOW.  "Fans" who would love to see him gone.  Don't underestimate our idiots.

We have a disgusting portion of this fanbase who show up only to talk crap about their "favorite" program.  They are never there to celebrate the good but always there to bitch about the bad.  The only reason you don't see it is because extra innings is the best board on this site.  It keeps the fairweathers and idiots away.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 02:47:35 pm
Would you be happy if Bielema wound up producing these results at Arkansas over the next 7 years, even if he only beat Alabama once in those 7 years?

Are you serious?  Of course I'd be happy.  He wouldn't even have to beat Bama once.

This isn't the Big 10, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

daBoar

Barry built the Wisconsin dynasty.  I'm not sure CBB's pre-Arkansas resume was that of a builder.

RME

Quote from: factchecker on June 26, 2017, 02:50:08 pm

We have a disgusting portion of this fanbase who show up only to talk crap about their "favorite" program.  They are never there to celebrate the good but always there to bitch about the bad.  The only reason you don't see it is because extra innings is the best board on this site.  It keeps the fairweathers and idiots away.

Your posts used to be really informative, interesting, and thought-provoking. Now about 2/3 of them are some variation of this.

We get it, dude. We get that we have ** fans and posters on this board who aren't even Arkansas fans but supporters of other teams. But as for those who are just really ** legitimate Arkansas fans, every fanbase has them. It's not exclusive to us.

Who gives a damn about someone else's "fandom" or lack thereof? It doesn't affect your everyday life, and if it does then maybe take a break from here.

Fanbases in Arkansas are stupid. Fanbases in Alabama and California and Ohio and New York and Georgia are stupid. I'm stupid a lot of the time. Don't get so riled up by people's either fake or real "fandom" as displayed on an anonymous message board.

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on June 26, 2017, 03:02:24 pm
Don't get so riled up by people's either fake or real "fandom" as displayed on an anonymous message board.

Don't get riled up about me getting riled up.  ;)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

sowmonella

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on June 26, 2017, 03:02:24 pm
Your posts used to be really informative, interesting, and thought-provoking. Now about 2/3 of them are some variation of this.

We get it, dude. We get that we have ** fans and posters on this board who aren't even Arkansas fans but supporters of other teams. But as for those who are just really ** legitimate Arkansas fans, every fanbase has them. It's not exclusive to us.

Who gives a damn about someone else's "fandom" or lack thereof? It doesn't affect your everyday life, and if it does then maybe take a break from here.

Fanbases in Arkansas are stupid. Fanbases in Alabama and California and Ohio and New York and Georgia are stupid. I'm stupid a lot of the time. Don't get so riled up by people's either fake or real "fandom" as displayed on an anonymous message board.

Are you an ** fan or a stupid one? Your post confused me.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

RME

Quote from: sowmonella on June 26, 2017, 03:12:04 pm
Are you a ** fan or a stupid one? Your post confused me.

In my post, I said, "I'm stupid a lot of the time."

So use some of your inference skills to answer your own question.

RME

Quote from: factchecker on June 26, 2017, 03:09:05 pm
Don't get riled up about me getting riled up.  ;)

Ha, I do apologize. As I said, I do really appreciate your posts. When I first finally made an account on this board after years of lurking, you were one I kept an eye out for.

Which is why I know you're more than smart enough to know it isn't exclusive to us, ** fans I mean.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: thebignasty on June 26, 2017, 01:50:56 pm

This is a good point. I'd say Arkansas' last TWO coaching hires were very notable—Petrino and Bielema—and reflects positively on us. Not the notion of "oh, they hired Coach X from Southwest Turkey Trot" because no decent coach would want to go there.

Refresh my memory, did those other guys hiring McElwain, Kirby and Orgeron—and I'll throw Muschamp in there—set the world on fire??

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on June 26, 2017, 03:15:10 pm
Ha, I do apologize. As I said, I do really appreciate your posts. When I first finally made an account on this board after years of lurking, you were one I kept an eye out for.

Which is why I know you're more than smart enough to know it isn't exclusive to us, ** fans I mean.

I admit I get carried away.  You are correct about other fanbases.  If anyone thinks hogville is bad then they haven't been to one of the texas fanboards.  It was funny stuff for about a week following the Texas bowl.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

In regards to the original post.  I'm glad Bielema understands the situation he and ultimately we are facing.  It's year 5.  It's his players.  NO EXCUSES.

Bielema has to win more.  No more second half collapses and no more blowouts.  If we don't improve then Bielema needs to go.  I just hope we have a clean departure this time.  No text messages, mistress on a motorcycle, forced hiring of high school coach, springdale 5, golden handcuff bull crap.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: factchecker on June 26, 2017, 03:25:28 pm
In regards to the original post.  I'm glad Bielema understands the situation he and ultimately we are facing.  It's year 5.  It's his players.  NO EXCUSES.

Bielema has to win more.  No more second half collapses and no more blowouts.  If we don't improve then Bielema needs to go.  I just hope we have a clean departure this time.  No text messages, mistress on a motorcycle, forced hiring of high school coach, springdale 5, golden handcuff bull crap.

Fantastic post.

RME

Quote from: factchecker on June 26, 2017, 03:25:28 pm

There we go!

Agree 100%.

Love Enos and I know the defensive struggles forced him to adapt at crucial times, and no, fumbles and INTs obviously aren't in his gameplan, but those happen. That said, the two second half eggs from the offense to end the season are troubling.

rhames

This is why people should be required to have avatars like mine

People would be much happier.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.