Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB thinks recruits should be allowed to take 2 official visits to same school

Started by gchamblee, June 05, 2017, 07:37:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

What do you guys think?

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--June-5

- Bret Bielema wonders, why not let recruits take two official visits to the same school? Especially with new early visits next year. It could help those who can't take many unofficials.

"A lot of times the visit becomes more real on the second rather than the first," Bielema said, per AL.com. "For those of us married, that first date wouldn't be great and the second one probably a little better. You kept building that progression and if not, you got out of it."

He added, "There's a certain element that if we could bring a kid on a second official visit. ... I think you'd have a higher success of placing kids in the right situations."

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

It definitely works in the kids favor. Many schools are only trying to "wow" the kid on that official visit. On that second visit, the kid would be better prepared to get down to the "nitty gritty".
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawganatic

It makes a lot of sense.  A lot of times I have to see something, take some time to process it, and then look t it again before making a decision.  Giving kids a second chance to see something without all the emotion and hype of the first time experience would help them make better decisions.

hawgon

Unless, you provide for unlimited visits, I'm pretty sure that is a dumb idea that would work against schools like Arkansas.  Instead of strong arming kids into not taking any more visits as they do now, schools like OU and Alabama would have the easier task of strong arming kids into taking multiple visits to their schools promising a better time the second go around.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on June 05, 2017, 11:28:48 am
Unless, you provide for unlimited visits, I'm pretty sure that is a dumb idea that would work against schools like Arkansas.  Instead of strong arming kids into not taking any more visits as they do now, schools like OU and Alabama would have the easier task of strong arming kids into taking multiple visits to their schools promising a better time the second go around.
I think CBB wanted it limited to 2 visits to same school and a total of 5 visits. So recruit could still take 3 more visits.  Might be a good idea especially for kids living hundreds of miles away.

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm all for giving the kids more flexibility.  Probably a wash in regards to how this will impact UA's recruiting...I doubt it measurably impacts us either way.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LRRandy

Get out on the recruiting trail and build those relationships. I'm not saying Bielema doesn't go recruit at all but Saban commented earlier this spring about being out recruiting and only running into one coach (Meyer). Saban said nobody else was out there as much as he was and people wonder why he recruits so well. The official visit doesn't have to be a first date if you put time in building a relationship.
This is fun, isn't it.

sickboy

How on Earth could anyone be against a kid taking two official visits to a school of his choice?

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hawgon on June 05, 2017, 11:28:48 am

If Bielema pulled someone out of a burning building you would scream CBB invaded their personal space.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on June 05, 2017, 11:59:07 am
Get out on the recruiting trail and build those relationships. I'm not saying Bielema doesn't go recruit at all but Saban commented earlier this spring about being out recruiting and only running into one coach (Meyer). Saban said nobody else was out there as much as he was and people wonder why he recruits so well. The official visit doesn't have to be a first date if you put time in building a relationship.

Considering Head coaches can't leave campus to recruit/evaluate in the spring, are you saying both Bama and OSU committed recruiting violations?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2133438-10-craziest-college-football-recruiting-rules

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2017, 12:35:08 pm
Considering Head coaches can't leave campus to recruit/evaluate in the spring, are you saying both Bama and OSU committed recruiting violations?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2133438-10-craziest-college-football-recruiting-rules

lol. I love when you throw cold water on folks when they're trying to start a fire.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2017, 12:35:08 pm

if your reading comprehension was better you would have picked up that the comment was made this spring. No mention of when the recruiting trip took place. Just that very few coaches were out recruiting.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 05, 2017, 01:25:44 pm
lol. I love when you throw cold water on folks when they're trying to start a fire.
it's even funnier when it's applicable. Here not so much. Nice try though.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LRRandy on June 05, 2017, 02:10:29 pm
if your reading comprehension was better you would have picked up that the comment was made this spring. No mention of when the recruiting trip took place. Just that very few coaches were out recruiting.

Not out recruiting the same prospects on the same day? Blasphemy!

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on June 05, 2017, 02:10:29 pm

I'd say every D-I coach is out recruiting on the days permissible, because they don't run into each other means absolutely zero.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2017, 02:30:15 pm
I'd say every D-I coach is out recruiting on the days permissible, because they don't run into each other means absolutely zero.
Saban made the comment. He seems to think it means something. I would also believe that some coaches do work more/harder than others in the area of recruiting across the college football landscape. Granted, certain schools have built in advantages over others, but work ethic and time put in absolutely plays a role.

Have you ever had a high d 1 athlete on your local HS team? With a finite number of games being played the opportunity to watch such a player live means multiple coaches in the stands.
This is fun, isn't it.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on June 05, 2017, 02:37:12 pm
Saban made the comment. He seems to think it means something. I would also believe that some coaches do work more/harder than others in the area of recruiting across the college football landscape. Granted, certain schools have built in advantages over others, but work ethic and time put in absolutely plays a role.

Saban made the comment, yet you ran with it and tried to apply it in a troll job here. You, nor I, have any idea how hard any coach works in recruiting, it would be mere guess work by us.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LRRandy on June 05, 2017, 02:37:12 pm

Quit crawfishing. Your entire premise is CBB doesn't put in the time despite saying "I'm not saying..."

Bielema wore out the UofA charter jets last year and should have leased an apartment in Springhill, LA considering his time spent there.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2017, 02:41:47 pm
Saban made the comment, yet you ran with it and tried to apply it in a troll job here. You, nor I, have any idea how hard any coach works in recruiting, it would be mere guess work by us.
boy, again with the reading comprehension issue ( might wanna get that checked). My post really was more about building relationships vs multiple official visits. I commented that I wasn't saying Bielema didn't recruit. Just that the guy that has had the number #1 recruiting class 7 years in a row didn't see many other coaches out there when he was. I don't follow recruiting religiously, but everything that you read says that it boils down to building the relationship. For you to take that as an indictment of your coach when it was a general comment might speak to your personal thoughts on the matter.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LRRandy on June 05, 2017, 02:57:44 pm
boy, again with the reading comprehension issue ( might wanna get that checked). My post really was more about building relationships vs multiple official visits. I commented that I wasn't saying Bielema didn't recruit. Just that the guy that has had the number #1 recruiting class 7 years in a row didn't see many other coaches out there when he was. I don't follow recruiting religiously, but everything that you read says that it boils down to building the relationship. For you to take that as an indictment of your coach when it was a general comment might speak to your personal thoughts on the matter.

More likely an indictment and personal thoughts on you, troll.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 05, 2017, 03:02:37 pm
More likely an indictment and personal thoughts on you, troll.

No doubt, at least the Auburn trolls were funny at times.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on June 05, 2017, 02:57:44 pm

My reading comprehension is fine, your poor trolling attempts need some work, though.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2017, 03:05:15 pm
My reading comprehension is fine, your poor trolling attempts need some work, though.
not trolling. Sharing an observation relevant to the op.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LRRandy on June 05, 2017, 03:20:00 pm
not trolling. Sharing an observation relevant to the op.

So you're sharing with us that coaches who work harder fare better. Never would have guessed that. Thanks.

LRRandy

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 05, 2017, 05:38:04 pm
So you're sharing with us that coaches who work harder fare better. Never would have guessed that. Thanks.
the more you know. I am glad to be able to help.
This is fun, isn't it.

tophawg19

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2017, 03:05:15 pm
what needs work is hogville's troll policy
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LRRandy on June 05, 2017, 06:44:18 pm
the more you know. I am glad to be able to help.

I know my ABC's without the help of the mentally deranged. Folks like you that derive pleasure from making everyone else miserable.

Consider yourself lucky I don't know who you are.

Hawghiggs

I don't know how you would implement this. But I wouldn't mind seeing some rule that allows extra recruiting trip(s) to one FCS program and one Division 2 program.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 05, 2017, 10:03:31 pm
I know my ABC's without the help of the mentally deranged. Folks like you that derive pleasure from making everyone else miserable.

But if push comes to shove I have friends capable of IP tracing to the exstent they could tell me what you ate for breakfast.

Try me.

Calling All Hogs

Auburn would have a chance to bring out a fresh group of hookers.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 05, 2017, 10:26:45 pm
But if push comes to shove I have friends capable of IP tracing to the exstent they could tell me what you ate for breakfast.

Try me.

This isn't necessary. Arguing over a difference of opinions is different than threatening people.

hawgon

I'm not even in football and I can come up with a better suggestion than this.  You get five visits.  If at the end of those five visits, you haven't decided yet, you get one more visit to any of the five schools you have already visited.

hoghiker

I doubt it would change much. Kids still gonna pick the school with biggest rack.

LRRandy

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 05, 2017, 10:26:45 pm

Try me.
tilt
This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 05, 2017, 10:03:31 pm

Quote from: LRRandy on June 06, 2017, 09:07:56 am
tilt

Ok fellas, that's enough. If you can't carry on a respectful conversation with each other, then don't engage. That goes for everyone. Thanks.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

870hogfan

Quote from: hawgon on June 06, 2017, 07:46:53 am
I'm not even in football and I can come up with a better suggestion than this.  You get five visits.  If at the end of those five visits, you haven't decided yet, you get one more visit to any of the five schools you have already visited.

You just don't like Coach B. If your idol Petrino would have came up with the idea you be saying it's a very smart idea!

LRHawg

I don't think this helps or hurts us, but should give kids a little more choice with how to handle their recruiting. Makes too much sense, will probably get shot down.