Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats up with the infatuation with McCurdy?

Started by SiriusHog™, February 05, 2006, 12:20:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SiriusHog™

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but whats with the obsession?  some of you act like he's the second coming of Lee Mayberry.. i havent seen anything from him that makes me think he's the next jason kidd... he hit a half court shot and a couple of threes.....thats all i can remember from him.. i get frustrated with dontell just like you guys do, but i've gotten pissed at mccurdy too at times... i want mccurdy to get some minutes because he probably is the future PG of the team.. but i'm just not ready to christen him the next john stockton like a lot of people seem to be... 

D-macs cuz

I agree, I haven't seen anything that makes me think he's the next john stockton, but i think the point everyone is getting at is we haven't seen anything yet period...he's not getting any pt.  If a kid missed most a season by being injured, you need to a) get him back in playing shape and Game shape, or 2) redshirt him.  I don't think he's going to be a huge big time point guard, but I think that he's not being developed properly either

BloodRedHog

Count me in...DJ runs hot and cold but I do not see SM as the end all PG at this point...maybe next year. I have seen SM turn the ball over and struggle to adjust to the speed of the game. I would say give him some minutes each game but he is not ready to run the show yet.    :razorback:
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

SiriusHog™

Quote from: BloodRedHog on February 05, 2006, 12:38:53 pm
Count me in...DJ runs hot and cold but I do not see SM as the end all PG at this point...maybe next year. I have seen SM turn the ball over and struggle to adjust to the speed of the game. I would say give him some minutes each game but he is not ready to run the show yet.    :razorback:

couldnt agree more..

jkstock04

I don't think it's so much an infatuation with McCurdy, I think its Heath giving Jefferson the pt while McCurdy doesn't get jack...and a lot of people on here think Jefferson isn't all that great, me included.  McCurdy can shoot the ball....Jefferson cant.  No I dont think McCurdy is the next Stockton by any means, but at least he can score points if given the chance....I think a starting point guard should score more than 2 or 4 points per game...just my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

SiriusHog™

i'm sorry guys.. but DJ has played pretty damn good at times this year... i cant recall a single time when mccurdy did anything substantial in a game... and there have been games where he had ample time to show something.. i just havent seen it..

mikeirwin

How would we know?  He hasn't played. Maybe that's the so called infatuation.
We know for sure that everybody else Heath has tried at that position is no Lee Mayberry. Not even close.
I keep hearing that McCurdy stinks in practice. Maybe he's a Matt Jones type.
I all know is I'd like to see what would happen if he got some meaningful minutes.

The Master Of All

The Master can't help but notice a bias on the part of Razorback fans toward the lighter skinned student-athletes.  He notes a much louder reaction when Mr. Hill scores or gets a block, and also notes a consistent desire for Mr. McCurdy to get more playing time in the face of two student-athletes in their final year of eligibility. 
Without me, you people would just be confused.

zortoes

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 12:46:10 pm
DJ has played pretty damn good at times this year

When?  Besides the Kansas game, what has Jefferson done this year?

mikeirwin

i'm sorry guys.. but DJ has played pretty damn good at times this year... i cant recall a single time when mccurdy did anything substantial in a game... and there have been games where he had ample time to show something.. i just havent seen it..
Ample time ? What team have you been watching ? Playing time for McCurdy can often be measured in seconds. Like the time he played 8 seconds and managed to hit a 60 footer at the halftime buzzer. I'd say that was substantial. Turned the game around that's for sure.

94 Hawg

Quote from: The Master Of All on February 05, 2006, 12:50:35 pm
The Master can't help but notice a bias on the part of Razorback fans toward the lighter skinned student-athletes.  He notes a much louder reaction when Mr. Hill scores or gets a block, and also notes a consistent desire for Mr. McCurdy to get more playing time in the face of two student-athletes in their final year of eligibility. 
yep fellas, you've been found out. It is a racial thing...... ::) :puke:
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

mikeirwin

Baloney.

SiriusHog™

February 05, 2006, 12:56:46 pm #12 Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 12:58:27 pm by WarRazorbacks
Quote from: mikeirwin on February 05, 2006, 12:48:43 pm
How would we know?  He hasn't played. Maybe that's the so called infatuation.
We know for sure that everybody else Heath has tried at that position is no Lee Mayberry. Not even close.
I keep hearing that McCurdy stinks in practice. Maybe he's a Matt Jones type.
I all know is I'd like to see what would happen if he got some meaningful minutes.

mike, i agree that he should be some minutes.. but i'm just speaking about those who act like mccurdy has done ANYTHING to warrant the PT...he just hasnt..

i think there is something to be said about that...

zortoes

Quote from: mikeirwin on February 05, 2006, 12:54:26 pm

Ample time ? What team have you been watching ? Playing time for McCurdy can often be measured in seconds. Like the time he played 8 seconds and managed to hit a 60 footer at the halftime buzzer. I'd say that was substantial. Turned the game around that's for sure.

Yep... put the Hogs up by three going into the half and they never looked back.

SiriusHog™

so because mccurdy comes in and hits a lucky halfcourt shot, he deserves to be the guy?

zortoes

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 12:59:11 pm

so because mccurdy comes in and hits a lucky halfcourt shot, he deserves to be the guy?

He deserves a chance to be...

mikeirwin

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 12:59:11 pm

How do you know it was lucky ?
This kid might do that several more times in his career.
I know one thing, he can shoot rings around DJ.
The point is we don't know jack about McCurdy.
The ample playing time you mentioned just isn't there.
Most coaches I know have a pretty firm stance on playing freshman.
If a senior and a freshman are making mistakes play the freshman. The freshman has time to get better.
Heath and Nutt haven't figured that out.

hogman64

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 12:20:30 pm
I'm not saying he's a bad player, but whats with the obsession?  some of you act like he's the second coming of Lee Mayberry.. i havent seen anything from him that makes me think he's the next jason kidd... he hit a half court shot and a couple of threes.....thats all i can remember from him.. i get frustrated with dontell just like you guys do, but i've gotten pissed at mccurdy too at times... i want mccurdy to get some minutes because he probably is the future PG of the team.. but i'm just not ready to christen him the next john stockton like a lot of people seem to be... 

What you are calling an obsession is just people wanting to see SM get a real chance at running the team... I havent seen anyone comparing him to Mayberry or Stockton you are way over stating what people have said to try to make your point...I too would like to see him get a chance because I am not sure that he wouldnt improve tremendously given the opportunity...........I am very sure DJ is never going to improve....the fact is DJ is not an SEC caliber point guard and you cant win big SEC games with him.  Can you sight me a big game we have won with him running the team?   I dont care about his assist to TO ratio , I care about what he does during important moments of a  game that is on the line  and 90% of the time it sucks when it really matters....Frankly I dont see how anyone that has watched him for 2 years can any way defend his play or  say that he deserves more than 15 minutes a game....

SiriusHog™

February 05, 2006, 01:18:39 pm #18 Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 01:20:32 pm by WarRazorbacks
and i dont see how anyone that has watched mccurdy this year  that can say he deserves anything more than what he's getting...

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 12:56:46 pm

Yea its complete and utter bull.  I am sorry but there is no need to even come close to playing the RACE card in this situation.  Sorry but the Razorback fans became infatuated with Hill last year due to him being the only person to elicit excitement when he was on the floor besides Brewer.  Are you saying we would rather have McCurdy on the floor than Brewer?  Thats bull. 

The Hog fans want to win, plain and freaking simple.  We don't care what color their skin is (as a majority, of course some idiots will cheer more for white kids and some will reverse that and cheer more for black kids).

I just want to win.  I personally have never liked DJ as he has done nothing to show me he deserves the ball in his hands in crutial points in the game.  HOWEVER i am not completely sold on McCurdy for the EXACT reason Mike mention.  We never see McCurdy.  His playing time is probably still in the single digits for minutes on the floor.

When he shows us he can't handle it, then we will say leave DJ on the floor, however no one getting time right now is showing me anything, so why not give him a shot.  Its the exact same thing that happened with RoJo and Dick.  That turned out ok in my opinion.

toshortrock

why not let him have a shot,what has dj done,ok,let the kid have shot,we;re losing with what we got,if we don't start winning anyway,we might have a new coach coming
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

SiriusHog™

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 05, 2006, 01:18:59 pm

Yea its complete and utter bull.  I am sorry but there is no need to even come close to playing the RACE card in this situation.  Sorry but the Razorback fans became infatuated with Hill last year due to him being the only person to elicit excitement when he was on the floor besides Brewer.  Are you saying we would rather have McCurdy on the floor than Brewer?  Thats bull. 

The Hog fans want to win, plain and freaking simple.  We don't care what color their skin is (as a majority, of course some idiots will cheer more for white kids and some will reverse that and cheer more for black kids).

I just want to win.  I personally have never liked DJ as he has done nothing to show me he deserves the ball in his hands in crutial points in the game.  HOWEVER i am not completely sold on McCurdy for the EXACT reason Mike mention.  We never see McCurdy.  His playing time is probably still in the single digits for minutes on the floor.

When he shows us he can't handle it, then we will say leave DJ on the floor, however no one getting time right now is showing me anything, so why not give him a shot.  Its the exact same thing that happened with RoJo and Dick.  That turned out ok in my opinion.

townes has been playing like a puss... yet i dont hear anyone calling for freshman cyrus mcgowan to get more PT... any ideas why that might be?

zortoes

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 01:18:39 pm
and i dont see how anyone that has watched mccurdy this year  that can say he deserves anything more than what he's getting...

Your last name wouldn't happen to be Jefferson would it?  Maybe it's Heath?  Either way, you apparently like the "leader" we have on the floor now.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 05, 2006, 01:25:28 pm
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 05, 2006, 01:18:59 pm

townes has been playing like a puss... yet i dont hear anyone calling for freshman cyrus mcgowan to get more PT... any ideas why that might be?

Lets see, we are all racists because we are not advocating a black player to come in and get PT over another Black guy?  What?

What kind of logic is that? 

We are not advocating Cyrus because Cyrus has not been doing ANYTHING.  McCurdy has at least shown us glimpses.  And sorry but Townes did not start yesterday and actually looked better. 

I think the whole team in some situations needs to be benched and have the backups play some time.  If they are not going to respect Heath, sit em down and let em sit there till they are ready to shapen up.

But don't sit here and say because i am not asking for Cyrus i am being racists.  Come on thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

The Master Of All

The Master notes that strong reactions often cover up embarrassment.  He doesn't think that Razorback fans are intentionally behaving in such a manner, but that there is some merit to the theory.

Mr. McCurdy has not looked confident during his time on the floor.  The complaints against his not getting early season playing time appear to be the strongest, as that would surely help his confidence level.  Allowing a student-athlete to learn on the job against SEC opponents is not a great idea.

Cornhogio

I think it's sort of like the infatuation with the back up quarterback in the NFL.  I do think, based on limited playing time (and limited watching time for me) that when McCurdy's in the game, the ball goes inside a bit more than it does otherwise.  JMO.
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

mikeirwin

Quote from: The Master Of All on February 05, 2006, 01:38:12 pm
The Master notes that strong reactions often cover up embarrassment.  He doesn't think that Razorback fans are intentionally behaving in such a manner, but that there is some merit to the theory.

Mr. McCurdy has not looked confident during his time on the floor.  The complaints against his not getting early season playing time appear to be the strongest, as that would surely help his confidence level.  Allowing a student-athlete to learn on the job against SEC opponents is not a great idea.

Every player on this team has been learning on the job against SEC opponents and in the case of some they don't appear to have learned much at all.
What's different about McCurdy ?
Anti White bias maybe ?
Okay it's a harebrained theory, just like your anti Black bias with regard to some fans interest in McCurdy.
Just understand that when you start that stuff it can cut both ways.

94 Hawg

in order to be "fair", should each team have an equal number of black & white players & coaches? No Indians of course but you get the idea.....

(I know it's a big can o worms, but other than the SB there isn't much to talk about ;) )
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

hogman64

this race discussion is just stupid..........there is no race in this, it is performance...........let me see , I dont seem to remember anyone yelling for Hillis to be starting at TB over Mcfadden  do I?  Stop with the race stuff  it is just silly to even bring it up, we all want to see the hogs win and the best players on the field or court...............

The Master Of All

Quote from: mikeirwin on February 05, 2006, 01:51:33 pm

Every player on this team has been learning on the job against SEC opponents and in the case of some they don't appear to have learned much at all.
Anti White bias maybe ?
Okay it's a harebrained theory, just like your anti Black bias with regard to some fans interest in McCurdy.
The Master notes that the point of a message board is to have other members of the Razorback faithful to discuss "harebrained" theories with.  While there may be little merit, it is always interesting to see if others out there echo the Master's sentiments.

twistitup

McCurdy is a freshman!! He will, in time, be a MUCH better PG than DJ could ever dream of. He needs more PT simply because he is the future. Dontell has proved nothing besides the fact that he makes bad decisions, and often. McCurdy needs a chance to prove himself in a game, not just evaluation in practice. When in highschool, McCurdy saw tremendous success. Like most sports, when you excel in HS against good competition- you have a chance at becoming a good college athlete. McCurdy will be a hell of PG- wait and see.

Now that I think about it- He does remind me a little of Steve Nash!!
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

TulsaHogFan

The Master notes strong reactions?  Who are you talking to?  Are you refering to yourself in third persons? 

Yea buddy you might recognize some strong emotions when someone calls someone else a racist.  Its a little insulting sometimes.  Kinda like if i were to start insulting you, you might show strong emotions, would that be because the insults were accurate or not?  Kinda different when its turned around.

I am asking for you to show me the merit.  You said that i am wrong and your example is that we are not calling for a black person to be benched for another black guy?  That is not merit, that is like saying, your racist cause i saw you in a pickup truck.  Its seriously one of the dumbest arguments i have ever heard on here and trust me, THATS SAYING A LOT.

I agree that McCurdy is not the most confident on the floor at some times, and yet Jefferson is confident, and why? What has he done?  What has Cyrus done?  Cyrus has about half the minutes as McCurdy, and yet Cyrus has about 20 points, and McCurdy has 65 points.  Hmmm starting to expose why we want him on the floor.  There are things that point to Cyrus getting more time, however i have seen absolutly nothing from him.  There are various stat categories that show McCurdy deserves a shot, and there are a few that shows Cyrus does too, however Townes has shown some moments of glory where as DJ has made crutial mistakes in some games.

There is some merit, its called stats, yet you think its because i got offended at being called a racists.  You are a bright one Mr. Finch.

SiriusHog™

thanks for the responses guys.. i enjoy others opinions.. i am now going to go put in 18 holes before the super bowl.. GO HOGS GO.. and go steelers!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: The Master Of All on February 05, 2006, 02:03:10 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on February 05, 2006, 01:51:33 pm

Anti White bias maybe ?
The Master notes that the point of a message board is to have other members of the Razorback faithful to discuss "harebrained" theories with.  While there may be little merit, it is always interesting to see if others out there echo the Master's sentiments.

McCurdy not looked confident?

This is what I have observed of McCurdy this season at BWA and on TV, in the ridiculously small amount of PT he has gotten:

1)  He can shoot the 3

2)  He is the ONLY PG I have seen EVER drive the lane and then dish the ball off to a big man for a DUNK.  This should happen 5 or 6 times EVERY GAME.

3)  He QBs the team.  This is the most important aspect of being a PG.  He makes people move.  I have seen him YELL at BREWER to MOVE OVER.  As in, Hog Royalty BREWER!  If that's not confidence, I don't know what is.  On another occasion, Jefferson brought up the ball, Sean was at the 2 position and DJ had to ask Sean what the play was.  Sean immediately responded. 

4)  He is the QUICKEST player on the whole team WITH the ball.  Yet he plays smart and in control, unlike our Jefferson and Ferguson.

5)  The ENERGY of this team rises when he is in.  When DJ and/or Ferguson bring the ball up, they pick up their dribble and stop down the whole offense.  Sean makes everybody MOVE on offense and NEVER stops and picks up his dribble, unless he is shooting, passing or driving.

He NEEDS to get a fair chance.  None of us know how good he could be. 

WE DON'T HAVE ANYBODY BETTER ANYWAY. 

I used to give Heath the benefit of the doubt, now I think he either just doesn't like Sean or is just plain being stubborn.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

The Master Of All

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 05, 2006, 02:07:25 pm

The Master notes strong reactions?  Who are you talking to?  Are you refering to yourself in third persons? 

Yea buddy you might recognize some strong emotions when someone calls someone else a racist.  Its a little insulting sometimes.  Kinda like if i were to start insulting you, you might show strong emotions, would that be because the insults were accurate or not?  Kinda different when its turned around.

I am asking for you to show me the merit.  You said that i am wrong and your example is that we are not calling for a black person to be benched for another black guy?  That is not merit, that is like saying, your racist cause i saw you in a pickup truck.  Its seriously one of the dumbest arguments i have ever heard on here and trust me, THATS SAYING A LOT.

I agree that McCurdy is not the most confident on the floor at some times, and yet Jefferson is confident, and why? What has he done?  What has Cyrus done?  Cyrus has about half the minutes as McCurdy, and yet Cyrus has about 20 points, and McCurdy has 65 points.  Hmmm starting to expose why we want him on the floor.  There are things that point to Cyrus getting more time, however i have seen absolutly nothing from him.  There are various stat categories that show McCurdy deserves a shot, and there are a few that shows Cyrus does too, however Townes has shown some moments of glory where as DJ has made crutial mistakes in some games.

There is some merit, its called stats, yet you think its because i got offended at being called a racists.  You are a bright one Mr. Finch.
The Master didn't quote the post of Mr. TulsaHogFan's, and was not referring specifically to anyone as being a racist.  The role of the Master is more ombudsman than anything else.  Most sincere of apologies to you, Mr. TulsaHogFan.

Mr. McGowan is not a part of the argument, as he has not come up as a candidate for the point guard position.  The Master would consider Mr. McGowan and Mr. McCurdy to be on the same level, however, as both have great talent but should not see playing time in front of upperclassmen.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: The Master Of All on February 05, 2006, 02:35:10 pm
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on February 05, 2006, 02:07:25 pm

The Master didn't quote the post of Mr. TulsaHogFan's, and was not referring specifically to anyone as being a racist.  The role of the Master is more ombudsman than anything else.  Most sincere of apologies to you, Mr. TulsaHogFan.

Mr. McGowan is not a part of the argument, as he has not come up as a candidate for the point guard position.  The Master would consider Mr. McGowan and Mr. McCurdy to be on the same level, however, as both have great talent but should not see playing time in front of upperclassmen.

What?  Why should they not be seeing PT over upperclassmen?  Are you serious?  So we should have played RoJo over Casey?  Oh crap there i go again looking at a player based on talent, and not on skin color.  What was i thinking.  We should have started RoJo because he is an upperclassmen and he is black, screw who is the better football quarterback.

You are having some problems with your arguments it looks like to me. 

The best player needs to be on the court of field no matter what.  Its a simple as that.

Screw the race card.  Anyone who starts calling race into it needs to check their own priorities.

imahoggie

isnt it kinda like the back-up quarterback situation. everyone always wants to see what the next guy can do for you. next year it will be somone else behind mccurdy. and so on and so on
Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: imahoggie on February 05, 2006, 02:44:47 pm
isnt it kinda like the back-up quarterback situation. everyone always wants to see what the next guy can do for you. next year it will be somone else behind mccurdy. and so on and so on

No its more like, we have seen glimpses of the backup QB in games and he has done well, yet is still sitting on the bench while the team struggles and looks ugly in spots.

dotnet

Can we get HSV to sticky a thread explaining that no one will be taken seriously on this board if they refer to themselves multiple times in a thread in third person?

Back to the original point of this thread... I too am confused with all this love for Mccurdy.  I don't know why everyone is bashing Heath for not playing Mccurdy.  What kind of coach has ever let people play who didn't perform well in practice?  If you stink it up in practice (like everyone says Mccurdy does), then what coach is going to give him an opportunity to play in a game as a true freshman?  Do you want Heath to send the message that you can come, play poorly in practice (which will turn into not try hard), and still get plenty of playing time in the game?  I don't think DJ is great either, but if you don't earn the playing time then you don't earn the playing time. 

There is NO way that a 50 foot hail-mary shot is all skill.  I don't think that should translate into more playing time.

There is more to basketball than shooting.  Steve Kerr can still shoot circles around almost every 2 guard in the NBA.  Does that mean that he should be starting on almost every NBA team? 

No Mccurdy hasn't really gotten a chance to show us what he can do in a game, but he has had plenty of chances to show Heath what he can do in practice.

mikeirwin

Quote from: dotnet on February 05, 2006, 02:56:33 pm
No Mccurdy hasn't really gotten a chance to show us what he can do in a game, but he has had plenty of chances to show Heath what he can do in practice.
As did Matt Jones the first month of the '01 season. He was riding the pine and the Hogs were in deep doo doo until somebody decided to see if Matt could do in a game what he wasn't doing in practice.
Three months later the Hogs were in the Cotton Bowl.

twistitup

So, Dontell practices well.....what about when it matters- AT TIP OFF!!! DJ has reached his potential, and it is not pretty

The main reason McCurdy deserves a chance is the fact that it is unknown the impact (pos or neg) that his floor presence, hustle, shooting, etc... can have on the team. Let the game judge what SM can do instead of talking about his rumored practice skills.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Brutalis

No, he doesn't start. No way. Jefferson is leading or was leading the SEC in assists and has consistantly hit the FTs when he needs to. You want an experienced ball handler on the floor in these tough SEC matchups.

Not to discredit McCurdy because he has amazing upside. I said a minute ago he could be a Pat Bradley type player under the right coach and Heath is not it. Arkansas needs to find a much older, experienced, and wiser coach to bring out the potential in our guys that they could have had. (Like Modica. With a better coach maybe he wouldn't be so reluctant and hesistant or underachieving.)

Back to the topic though. McCurdy will earn that job next year probably. He has shown that is on this team for good by the confidense of his dribble and the stroke of his shot but the young Hog needs to stay focused and learn this year and step up the next.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

dotnet

I can't believe I'm about to defend Jefferson.  He is third in the SEC in assists/turnover ratio and leads the conference in assists.

Mccurdy doesn't play better than Jefferson in the games either.

Mccurdy: 25 assists/14 Turnovers = 1.78
Jefferson: 119 assists/51 Turnovers = 2.33

** By the way.  I looked at that and thought "Those are a lot of assists for how little he has played."  So I did the math.  If you average it out with the same number of minutes played, Mccurdy would have under 100 assists and more turnovers than Jefferson.

bigred7987

Jefferson missed the one and one that would have sealed the Bama game...dont talk about hitting FT's

dotnet

Quote from: ConwayHog on February 05, 2006, 03:10:26 pm
Can someone please justify why they think McCurdy should start?  Not liking Ferguson or Jefferson isn't enough.  I think Ferguson has earned the right to start at point guard.  I could care less whether Dontell plays although some will point to his assist lead in the SEC.  No one ever mentions the turnovers in those same stats.  I also don't see him actually creating many of those baskets for his teammates although I won't head in that direction. 

I think McCurdy should play more as well but Brewer and Modica are going to see 30 minutes a game or more at the 2/3 spot.  I haven't seen any noticeable separation from McCurdy in relation to the other two guys in games.  99% of us doesn't know what occurs in practice.  I like McCurdy but Stan put him in against Alabama and he was a turnover waiting to happen.  McCurdy was 1/5 in 13 minutes against Vanderbilt. 

I like Sean but I haven't seen anything that makes him anymore of a candidate to start or even play more than the other two.  Is this just the "backup QB should be starting" scenario?  I wouldn't mind seeing McCurdy play some over Jefferson but when you look at three defensively McCurdy is clearing 3rd in line. 

I realize Ferguson isn't a true point guard but I think overall he is the best we have.  Give Sean some time to mature.  I don't think he's played as much as he should have early on but I would for once like logon to the board and not hear the next transfer rumor about him.  Do you think he expected to come in and play 20-30 minutes a game every game? 

Amen.

djgaffer

QuoteThe main reason McCurdy deserves a chance is the fact that it is unknown the impact (pos or neg) that his floor presence, hustle, shooting, etc... can have on the team.

I don't agree with this.  This is a basketball team that has a very good chance of finishing at least 21-10 (8-8) which will most likely get us into the tournament.  Our point guard isn't perfect, but he does lead the SEC in assists.  And when Sean is in the game, he isn't even the primary ball handler.  If he is in with either DJ or Ferguson, he doesn't bring the ball up because we have better ball handlers.  But the theory is that he should play more, just in case it might be positive??  That's bazarre if you're trying to win games.

The infatuation with McCurdy isn't only his race (although it helps) but his style of play.  He plays with maximum effort and brings some attitude to the floor.  These are positive traits.  However, he's not the best option on the floor right now.  I would just as soon have the best players on the floor while we're trying to make the NCAA.  Giving McCurdy and McGowan minutes just for their development makes no sense.  When they're our best players, they'll play.

The Master Of All

Mr. TulsaHogFan, the priorities of the Master in relation to a Razorback fan message board are placed in accordance to what is best for the University of Arkansas and its sports programs.  Occasionally tough subjects must be brought up to bring out the epitome of what this University can be.  The University has huge diversity problems in the ethnic background of the student body, the former coach has called out the University for racism within many aspects of the athletic program.  Maybe instead of getting offended when the subject is raised, the University community should continually hold dialogue and show the rest of the state and country that this is not a racist institution or fan base.

Mr. dotnet, you have your style of posting and the Master has his.  As for your take on Mr. McCurdy, the Master concurs.

Mr. Irwin, great point.  The main difference here seems to be that Mr. Jones just couldn't be taken out after seeing his performance.  Mr. McCurdy has been anything but consistent, and his flashes of brilliance have not been enough to see what he can do with increased playing time.

What was so bad about Mr. Jefferson yesterday, anyhow?  No turnovers, four assists, he performed well enough for the team to win the game and has earned his spot.

jkstock04

February 05, 2006, 03:31:04 pm #48 Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 03:32:59 pm by jkstock04
Quote from: Brutalis on February 05, 2006, 03:14:33 pm
No, he doesn't start. No way. Jefferson is leading or was leading the SEC in assists and has consistantly hit the FTs

Consistantly hits FT's??  I guess I haven't seen the same games you have...and I may be wrong cause I don't have the stats in front of me....but when does Jefferson shoot FT's??  He doesn't shoot the ball period...and when he does it's usually a brick...so someone who doesn't shoot probably aint gonna be shooting too many FT's.  The only free throws I remember Jefferson being involved in was when he totally screwed us in the Bama game by bricking that first one and one and then running down the court and fouling the guy shooting the three pointer (who by the way shoots 86% from the free throw line and drained all three of 'em....real nice for us)...boy that was a real smart move by a senior.  By the way, the reason he gets a lot of assists is cause he doesn't usually shoot the ball...he passes most of the time....
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Brutalis

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 05, 2006, 03:31:04 pm
Quote from: Brutalis on February 05, 2006, 03:14:33 pm
No, he doesn't start. No way. Jefferson is leading or was leading the SEC in assists and has consistantly hit the FTs

Consistantly hits FT's??  I guess I haven't seen the same games you have...and I may be wrong cause I don't have the stats in front of me....but when does Jefferson shoot FT's??  He doesn't shoot the ball period...and when he does it's usually a brick...so someone who doesn't shoot probably aint gonna be shooting too many FT's.  The only free throws I remember Jefferson being involved in was when he totally screwed us in the Bama game by bricking that first one and one and then running down the court and fouling the guy shooting the three pointer (who by the way shoots 86% from the free throw line and drained all three of 'em....real nice for us)...boy that was a real smart move by a senior.  By the way, the reason he gets a lot of assists is cause he doesn't usually shoot the ball...he passes most of the time....

Blahblah. I was speaking mainly about the early season tourny we were in. He hit clutch FTs constantly.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn