Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USCeast writer professes love for CBB

Started by MuckyPig, July 20, 2015, 08:37:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuckyPig

"BIRMINGHAM, ALA.
It takes a big man to regularly tweet photos of his tiny dogs.

Bret Bielema is a big man. There's a wonderful photo floating around the Internet that proves it, showing Arkansas' coach shirtless, looking fat and phat simultaneously. This is not a hatchet job column, don't misunderstand, more of a love letter."

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/josh-kendall-blog/article27347134.html#storylink=cpy

Nothing new in the article but just another case for our coach becoming one of college footballs favorite personalities.

Arkansas WR

The media guys sure do love our coach!

MJ2

When he was at Wisconsin, did you like him then?   Did you think of him as a good coach or did he seem personable then?

NLRHog92

Quote from: MJ2 on July 20, 2015, 09:39:04 am
When he was at Wisconsin, did you like him then?   Did you think of him as a good coach or did he seem personable then?

Absolutely loathed them since I can remember. I think Alvarez just never set quite right with me, but I wasn't too fond of Coach B then either for some reason. Funny how perception can change when a guy is on your side and you get to know him better.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

MJ2

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 20, 2015, 10:15:05 am
Absolutely loathed them since I can remember. I think Alvarez just never set quite right with me, but I wasn't too fond of Coach B then either for some reason. Funny how perception can change when a guy is on your side and you get to know him better.

Yep, and as soon as he's gone, he'll be the bad guy again, i.e. Nutt, Gus, Petrino, etc.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MJ2 on July 20, 2015, 12:02:04 pm
Yep, and as soon as he's gone, he'll be the bad guy again, i.e. Nutt, Gus, Petrino, etc.

Nutt was the bad guy for the last four or five years of his time at Arkansas. LAWL. Petrino became the bad guy when he embarrassed the university, right before he was fired.

The only coach Arkansas ever had who won at a progressive rate then left was Ken Hatfield (excluding guys like Bowden Wyatt, pre-integration). If you think Arkansas has a pattern with ex-coaches, you should check out what Alabama and Tennessee think about their exes.
[CENSORED]!

100%Razorback

Birminghog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 20, 2015, 12:51:18 pm
Nutt was the bad guy for the last four or five years of his time at Arkansas. LAWL. Petrino became the bad guy when he embarrassed the university, right before he was fired.

The only coach Arkansas ever had who won at a progressive rate then left was Ken Hatfield (excluding guys like Bowden Wyatt, pre-integration). If you think Arkansas has a pattern with ex-coaches, you should check out what Alabama and Tennessee think about their exes.

Can't speak for all of them, Biggus, but Bama folk love them some Gene Stallings, and of course there's always our boy from Fordyce. However, pity the fool who loses to Auburn or Tenner.

redeye

Quote from: Arkansas WR on July 20, 2015, 09:33:08 am
The media guys sure do love our coach!

This is huge imo.  I think their dislike for Petrino caused us all sorts of problems.  We never got any breaks with Petrino, but now we seem to be getting most of them.

It reminds me of South Carolina, who was really an afterthought until Holtz and then Spurrier.  Since those 2, South Carolina has regularly been overrated and has received all sorts of undeserved attention, simply because the media loved their head coach.

Btw, I haven't read the article, yet, but I think this guy is well known for antagonizing South Carolina fans.

31to6

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 20, 2015, 12:51:18 pm
Petrino was openly reviled in the media from day one. CBB knows that you can say things that are unpopular as long as you keep feeding the media entertainment (and improve the product on the field) and are genuine and give good interviews.

Petrino improved the product on the field, but when ESPN announcers are telling recruits to stay away, that definitely took a toll.

You kinda want your rivals to hate your coach. But you don't want the whole world of college sports actively trying to ensure he fails.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MJ2 on July 20, 2015, 09:39:04 am
I didn't like him because he beat us his first year! It was Wisconsin, as good as he did, he didn't get a whole lot of publicity in Wisconsin. The national media are just now really peeling the onion on CBB.

MJ2

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 20, 2015, 03:26:32 pm
I didn't like him because he beat us his first year! It was Wisconsin, as good as he did, he didn't get a whole lot of publicity in Wisconsin. The national media are just now really peeling the onion on CBB.

Good way to put it.    I do think he is getting exposure in the SEC that he would NEVER have gotten at WI.   Luckily, he's handled it well so far.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MJ2 on July 20, 2015, 03:53:11 pm
Good way to put it.    I do think he is getting exposure in the SEC that he would NEVER have gotten at WI.   Luckily, he's handled it well so far.
One reason I think many in the press seem to like CBB is that he appears to be both genuine and approachable. He always seems good for a quote and doesn't seem to back away from speaking his mind and justifying his opinion/thoughts on a subject. He's also able to not take himself too seriously and is willing to poke a little fun at himself when needed. No thing you'll never see from Bret is the aloofness you can get from someone like a Saban.