Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ty Storey - Ten quarterbacks who've 'got next'

Started by benji, July 18, 2015, 10:52:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: benji on July 18, 2015, 10:52:13 pm
:D

http://usc.247sports.com/Article/Ten-quarterbacks-who-got-next-38269138

:razorback:

That's cool that the author picked Storey out as one of his ten. Problem is, he offers no explanation as to why he thinks that Storey might pole vault his way over Austin Allen and Rafe Peavey on the depth chart. A 66% completion percentage is a great stat to quote but that was in high school at Charleston. Does the author even know where Charleston is or who they played?

Nothing against Storey here, I'm just saying that completing passes at a 66% clip against that level of competition is somewhat different than even throwing for 60% completions in the SEC. Plus, there is a lot more to earning that starting role of an SEC QB than just being able to throw or run the ball. I'm not saying that he can't accomplish that because I believe that in time, he can. I'm just not sure it happens after this season.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawghiggs

That list is kinda sad. Not because of Ty Storey. I hope he's great. Its sad because of those 10, only two came from the SEC. This is a huge problem for our league and every year it seems to be the same story. How is this possible?

Steef

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 19, 2015, 07:35:58 am
That list is kinda sad. Not because of Ty Storey. I hope he's great. Its sad because of those 10, only two came from the SEC. This is a huge problem for our league and every year it seems to be the same story. How is this possible?

Interesting point.

Muskogee...that might be another thread. Comparing the number of QBs from each conference playing in the pros.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: steefhog on July 19, 2015, 07:45:13 am
Interesting point.

Muskogee...that might be another thread. Comparing the number of QBs from each conference playing in the pros.

I don't know about a new thread but here are the QB's drafted since 2000 and how many came from which conference as a total.

AAC   9
ACC   27
B10   22
B12   19
USA   6
IND   5
MAC   11
MWC   13
P12   30
SEC   32
SUN   4
Oth   22
Go Hogs Go!

ZERO

I can only see the conference being down at QB as a good thing for us. Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU not having a solid QB answer this season is a boon for us. Having Chad Kelly underperform is basically the only way I see us beating that loaded Ole Miss team @Oxford.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ricepig

Quote from: ZERO on July 19, 2015, 09:20:57 am
I can only see the conference being down at QB as a good thing for us. Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU not having a solid QB answer this season is a boon for us. Having Chad Kelly underperform is basically the only way I see us beating that loaded Ole Miss team @Oxford.

Yeah, not a big concern of mine. If you look at the dual QB's, the conference had like 3 of the top 7.

ZERO

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 19, 2015, 09:15:29 am
I don't know about a new thread but here are the QB's drafted since 2000 and how many came from which conference as a total.

AAC   9
ACC   27
B10   22
B12   19
USA   6
IND   5
MAC   11
MWC   13
P12   30
SEC   32
SUN   4
Oth   22

Does that list include Matt Jones, who played as QB but got drafted as a WR? I kind of feel like it should count.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Pig in the Pokey

there are some straight killers on this list!!!

Jake Browning, Fr., Washington — The Huskies are interesting in that they don't have a sure quarterback of the present. But it would be a major surprise if Browning (6-2 205) didn't win the job eventually. Browning enrolled early at Washington and showed flashes of what made him a record-setting quarterback at Folsom (Calif.), where he threw for 5,790 yards and 91 touchdowns to seven interceptions as a senior. For his efforts, he earned the No. 5 spot in the 2015 247Sports Composite as a pro-style quarterback.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

One reason to go ahead and skip that Baylor home-and-home, but then again, me no scare.

Jarrett Stidham, Fr., Baylor — Art Briles has done a great job of building up quarterbacks who weren't highly recruited, so when he landed the strong-armed Stidham (6-3 195), the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the 2015 Composite, many were interested to see what he could do with more advanced clay in his hands. Starter Seth Russell is a junior, but Stidham looks like he'll be Russell's primary backup this year as a true freshman, and if anything happens to Russell, Stidham could play even more quickly than expected.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Beast of the bunch, imo

Max Browne, So., USC — The Trojans have assembled a massive amount of talent over the last few years, and the top quarterback landed in those classes has been Browne (6-5 220). Cody Kessler is an All-America and Heisman Trophy candidate this season, after which Browne should get his shot. Browne spent his redshirt freshman season as the No. 2 quarterback to Kessler, a role he'll fill again this year. The No. 1 pro-style quarterback in the 2013 Composite, Brown was ranked as the No. 11 player nationally overall.

NuttinItUp

The link is to a USC-centric page. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Pig in the Pokey

I would agree accept Arkansas' QB is one of the 2! But in reality, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Ole Miss are loaded at QB of the future.

ZERO

Baylor is built on a pretty shaky foundation, if you think about it. They schedule no P5 opponents OoC, and the Big 12 is a conference known for defensive deficiency. I'm way more scared of TCU.

Cinco de Hogo

How many SEC offenses are designed to help the QB shine, like say a Petrino offense.  Some schools really focus on the QB, most SEC teams have so much talent that it's more of a team focus.  I don't really worry about having an elite QB, I worry more about having an elite QB coach.

Some schools like USCw have the ability to put elite QBs on elite teams and have them all drafted. 

ICEman

247sports could have at least hyperlinked Storey's name!
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ZERO on July 19, 2015, 09:54:06 am
Baylor is built on a pretty shaky foundation, if you think about it. They schedule no P5 opponents OoC, and the Big 12 is a conference known for defensive deficiency. I'm way more scared of TCU.
But they are starting to get better D recruits, that QB of the future is by far the most talented Guru Art Briles has ever coached (and all his QB put up #s), and they just flat out score on everybody. Would love to play them in a playoff, just not so sure about a home - n- home. I do totally agree TCU looks dangerous too. BUT THINK OF THIS. We just PWND Texass, we have a chance to annually humiliate Aggy, We get 2 shots at TCU, and perhaps this Baylor series. We truly could stake out a decade of strong Texas recruiting with a sweep of these games!!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 19, 2015, 09:56:23 am
How many SEC offenses are designed to help the QB shine, like say a Petrino offense.  Some schools really focus on the QB, most SEC teams have so much talent that it's more of a team focus.  I don't really worry about having an elite QB, I worry more about having an elite QB coach.

Some schools like USCw have the ability to put elite QBs on elite teams and have them all drafted.
true, but out of 14 schools, at least 5 are super stocked at QB regardless.

Pig in the Pokey

ZERO

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 19, 2015, 10:01:39 am
But they are starting to get better D recruits, that QB of the future is by far the most talented Guru Art Briles has ever coached (and all his QB put up #s), and they just flat out score on everybody. Would love to play them in a playoff, just not so sure about a home - n- home. I do totally agree TCU looks dangerous too. BUT THINK OF THIS. We just PWND Texass, we have a chance to annually humiliate Aggy, We get 2 shots at TCU, and perhaps this Baylor series. We truly could stake out a decade of strong Texas recruiting with a sweep of these games!!

Not to mention we play UTEP next year. We finally get our chance to sew up that desert Mexican border talent we've been on about.

Hey, it still counts.

ZERO

How sad is it that I thought of UTEP before I thought of Texas Tech. Those poor rash-ridden afterthought bastards.

go hogues

Having Chad Kelly underperform is basically the only way I see us beating that loaded Ole Miss team @Oxford.
Because we really struggled against basically the same team last year.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

ZERO

Quote from: go hogues on July 19, 2015, 10:12:37 am
Because we really struggled against basically the same team last year.

Yeah, I get it. "Bad Bo" showed up and our defense feasted. That doesn't change the fact that they still have a great team they paid big bucks for, and we're playing @Ole Miss. Just saying, you're kidding yourself if you don't respect that team's potential.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 19, 2015, 10:02:29 am
true, but out of 14 schools, at least 5 are super stocked at QB regardless.

I assume you think Arkansas is one of those five and I agree on that but I don't know as I would say "super".  I think we are stocked with the type talent Alabama won Three NC's with.  The rest rest in the shoulders of the team as a whole and the coaching job CBB does.

Biggus Piggus

I don't take it that way at all. First, they deliberately left off Kyler Murray of TAM. Second, they clearly made effort to cover all major conferences with their list.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Ole Miss lacks depth at many positions. They have a handful of studs and little depth. And huge QB questions.
[CENSORED]!

Honestly , this is just a good mid-summer story and nothing else.

Concerning the SEC and their QBs, nearly every QB choosing to play in the SEC soon understands that he is not the man but just one of many men on the team.  Usually you do not need them to win the game, just manage not to lose the game.  It took Kiffin at BAMA a few games to realize his offense didn't have to win the game, just not lose it.  The first few games of last year, Kiffin did his best to jerk defeat from the jaws of victory.  BAMA stunk against us and nearly paid for it.  Point is, SEC QBs usually do not have to play big numbers for their team to win and if they do put up big numbers, its usually for a team in the bottom half of the conference.  That could be why nearly every NFL team doesn't have an SEC QB operating their team.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: 12247 on July 19, 2015, 02:36:00 pm
Honestly , this is just a good mid-summer story and nothing else.

Concerning the SEC and their QBs, nearly every QB choosing to play in the SEC soon understands that he is not the man but just one of many men on the team.  Usually you do not need them to win the game, just manage not to lose the game.  It took Kiffin at BAMA a few games to realize his offense didn't have to win the game, just not lose it.  The first few games of last year, Kiffin did his best to jerk defeat from the jaws of victory.  BAMA stunk against us and nearly paid for it.  Point is, SEC QBs usually do not have to play big numbers for their team to win and if they do put up big numbers, its usually for a team in the bottom half of the conference.  That could be why nearly every NFL team doesn't have an SEC QB operating their team.

In a nutshell and pretty much what I said or er...meant.

It's not the end of the world in the SEC to not have your QB drafted and it sure isn't in CBB's offense.

Paul

With us chomping at the bit for football season, any positive publicity is welcome.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ZERO on July 19, 2015, 10:15:44 am
Yeah, I get it. "Bad Bo" showed up and our defense feasted. That doesn't change the fact that they still have a great team they paid big bucks for, and we're playing @Ole Miss. Just saying, you're kidding yourself if you don't respect that team's potential.
Hard to respect them after watching them last year at the end and then watching their awful QB play in their spring game! They have some players that are better than everybody on our team outside of our RB's and maybe HH, but they are weak on OL and at QB.

hawginbigd1

If you played the games on paper IMO after BA, Storey has got next! But alas they are not played on paper!

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: steefhog on July 19, 2015, 07:45:13 am
Interesting point.

Had some time to kill, and here's the breakdown for the starting QB for all 32 teams.  I listed both QBs in Houston, since that's still a battle.

AAC (1):  Blake Bortles (UCF),
ACC (6): EJ Manuel (FSU), Phillip Rivers (NC State), Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville), Matt Ryan (Boston College), Jamis Winston (FSU), Mike Glennon (NC State)
Big 10 (4):  Tom Brady (Michigan), Brian Hoyer (Mich State), Drew Brees (Purdue), Russell Wilson (Wisconsin)
Big 12 (4):  Geno Smith (WVU), Andy Dalton (TCU), RG3 (Baylor), Sam Bradford (OU)
MAC:  (1) Ben Rothlisberger (Miami)
Mountain West (2):  Derek Carr (Fresno St.), Colin Kapernick (Nevada)
Pac-12 (5):  Marcus Mariotta (Oregon), Andrew Luck (Stanford), Alex Smith (Utah), Aaron Rogers (Cal), Carson Palmer (USC)
SEC (7):  Ryan Tannehill (A&M), Ryan Mallett (WPS), Peyton Manning (Tenn), Eli Manning (Ole Miss), Jay Cutler (Vandy), Matt Stafford (Georgia), Cam Newton (Auburn)
FCS division (3):  Joe Flacco (Delaware), Josh McCown (Sam Houston), Tony Romo (E. Illinois)

So, SEC leads, but not much separates the power conferences.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 19, 2015, 09:50:09 am
Beast of the bunch, imo

Max Browne, So., USC — The Trojans have assembled a massive amount of talent over the last few years, and the top quarterback landed in those classes has been Browne (6-5 220). Cody Kessler is an All-America and Heisman Trophy candidate this season, after which Browne should get his shot. Browne spent his redshirt freshman season as the No. 2 quarterback to Kessler, a role he'll fill again this year. The No. 1 pro-style quarterback in the 2013 Composite, Brown was ranked as the No. 11 player nationally overall.

This kid reminded me of Peyton Manning coming out of high school.