Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog Futures: TJ Smith...

Started by OneTuskOverTheLine™, July 18, 2015, 08:36:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Awesome piece by Tim Cooper with Arkansas Online. Looks like we got a real gem in TJ...

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jul/15/defensive-end-has-room-left-grow/
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

micali

Would be interested in reading but...

flagstaffhog

Quote from: micali on July 18, 2015, 11:25:03 am
Would be interested in reading but...
.....I don't have a subcription......

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

oldfart

looks like we got a steal here.. and an Uncommon Man!!  sort of a diamond in the rough, but very athletic and capable of great improvement

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: oldfart on July 18, 2015, 05:18:51 pm
looks like we got a steal here.. and an Uncommon Man!!  sort of a diamond in the rough, but very athletic and capable of great improvement

I hope you're right.  He sounds really good, but this:

"...Also had offers from Missouri, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Charlotte, Central Florida and Georgia Southern."

Does have me a little worried.  Late bloomers seem to always have higher ceilings though, so I like the pickup, but I'm crossing my fingers at the same time.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HogFanatic

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 18, 2015, 05:51:17 pm

"...Also had offers from Missouri, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Charlotte, Central Florida and Georgia Southern."

Does have me a little worried.  Late bloomers seem to always have higher ceilings though, so I like the pickup, but I'm crossing my fingers at the same time.

Missouri has played in two consecutive SEC Championship games.
It still amazes me that people can't understand that Missouri is a damn good football program.

RebelW

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 18, 2015, 05:51:17 pm

Go to ESPN recruiting and look at Trey Flowers offers coming out of high school..

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 18, 2015, 05:54:24 pm
It still amazes me that people can't understand that Missouri is a damn good football program.

Quote from: RebelW on July 18, 2015, 06:02:12 pm
Go to ESPN recruiting and look at Trey Flowers offers coming out of high school..

I never said Missouri wasn't any good.  Usually though, a well thought of player will have a Baylor, Texas Tech, and say....a West Virginia in there as well.  After Mizzou, the drop off leads me to believe that this guy is a sleeper, has some work to do, or was considered a good gamble.

And for the Trey Flowers comment, what does that have to do with the cost of tea in China?  Are you suggesting that some players exceed what numerous large programs projected for them?   Intriguing.   I'd never considered that.

Every year there will be a handful of players that don't live up to their star potential, and there will always be a handful of players that exceed their star label.

We've beat this horse to death, so I'm not going to write a booklet, but some people are simply trying to justify what they want justified when they continue to ignore the facts that 3 stars bloom at a much lower percentage rate when compared to 5 stars, and all the other stats, etc.

And as I stated above, this guy sounds great, and I'm hoping for the best.  He's in a good place, and he sounds like a good pickup.  Here's hoping for the Hogs best and his best.

Sheesh.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Mike_e

Guys, his sr year of hs was only his second year of football.

I think we can cut him a little slack.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

JaketheSnake

Mizzou, Wake, UNC, and Vandy are pretty good offers.  Not Bama, Ohio State, etc, but respectable.
Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 18, 2015, 06:25:13 pm
I never said Missouri wasn't any good.  Usually though, a well thought of player will have a Baylor, Texas Tech, and say....a West Virginia in there as well.  After Mizzou, the drop off leads me to believe that this guy is a sleeper, has some work to do, or was considered a good gamble.

And for the Trey Flowers comment, what does that have to do with the cost of tea in China?  Are you suggesting that some players exceed what numerous large programs projected for them?   Intriguing.   I'd never considered that.

Every year there will be a handful of players that don't live up to their star potential, and there will always be a handful of players that exceed their star label.

We've beat this horse to death, so I'm not going to write a booklet, but some people are simply trying to justify what they want justified when they continue to ignore the facts that 3 stars bloom at a much lower percentage rate when compared to 5 stars, and all the other stats, etc.

And as I stated above, this guy sounds great, and I'm hoping for the best.  He's in a good place, and he sounds like a good pickup.  Here's hoping for the Hogs best and his best.

Sheesh.

Hoggish1

Quote from: JaketheSnake on July 18, 2015, 06:40:12 pm
Mizzou, Wake, UNC, and Vandy are pretty good offers.  Not Bama, Ohio State, etc, but respectable.

I have to take note that Arkansas was among his offers.  Pretty solid when Arkansas offers...!

cubsfan5150

It's a good thing we got him this year. Three of his former teammates just got charged with murder.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 18, 2015, 09:39:00 pmH
I have to take note that Arkansas was among his offers.  Pretty solid when Arkansas offers...!
"In Georgia, especially south Georgia, football is year-round," Propst said. "He was used to working out three days a week for a couple of hours a day. He comes here and it's five days a week, five hours a day."
TJ may be a redshirt candidate. He is still early on the learning curve.
CBH, Coach Segrest, CRS and CBBs input in his development should maximize his God given talent.
Mr. Smith has an Arkansas attitude.

" GO HOGS "

dsgreen

Quote"Even before I got my first [recruiting] letter, I decided I wasn't going to be an average player," Smith said. "Coach [Bret] Bielema was talking about 'Be uncommon.' That hit home with me. I never knew I was striving to be a Razorback until I got there."

Well I'm on this kids bandwagon now.  Love that last sentence.

RebelW

I'm saying a players star rating should not make you worry about the outcome of the player. Not in this program

onebadrubi

Quote from: JaketheSnake on July 18, 2015, 06:40:12 pm

Exactly, these offers also tell us something else.  The man has an IQ that is smart yet able to learn and grow.  He has a body that herb can manipulate and the head that our coaches can coach up.  Seems like a Bielema recipe for the Draft if you ask me. 

bennyl08

Watching his highlights, he looked like one of our best gets on the DL. Usually in HS you will see some guys who have that crazy burst OR will just throw OL players around. Rarely do you see a guy doing both.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawgzinbowlz

" I never knew I was striving to be a Razorback until I got there."

Just get 'em on campus.

" WOO PIG "

redeye

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 18, 2015, 05:54:24 pm

Missouri also has a reputation for developing underrated DE's.