Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SOUND OFF: MEDIA PREDICTS AUBURN TO WIN 2015 SEC CHAMPIONSHIP

Started by Scott Marshall, July 16, 2015, 11:41:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhogman

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 19, 2015, 02:24:47 pm
Then that information didn't teach you much.  Go ahead, list our defensive ranking from 1964 to present.  If that adds up to great defense I will ask an administrator to cancel my membership.  Are you willing to do the same thing.  I'll even let you pick the judges.

I am waiting to see the answer to this one. I think we have had some pretty stout defenses over the years, but also we have had some mediocre ones.  I remember Ford's defenses putting a hurting on QB's.  CBP lacked a little at times. Nutt had some decent ones.

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 19, 2015, 04:48:51 pm
Johnson (6-5, 240 lbs.) is going into this season as a Jr., and unless he has a great season and departs early for the NFL, he will be back. But even if he isn't, I think that their RS/Fr Sean White is the better QB, though he is smaller (6-0, 200 lbs.) which might make him seem like more of a "Read-Option" guy than a pocket passer. As much as I hate to say it, Gus will adapt his scheme to who he has at QB, and he is pretty good at that.

Thanks.

I understand that Gus is a good coach.

Don't know anything about Sean White. But a 6' QB that leaves the pocket just might get himself killed, unless he's as fast as Tre Mason was.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: steefhog on July 19, 2015, 04:59:07 pm
Thanks.

I understand that Gus is a good coach.

Don't know anything about Sean White. But a 6' QB that leaves the pocket just might get himself killed, unless he's as fast as Tre Mason was.

I think that is what this kid has going for him. You don't sign a 6-0 QB unless he has some moves.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 19, 2015, 05:01:23 pm
I think that is what this kid has going for him. You don't sign a 6-0 QB unless he has some moves.

We'll see how it works.

Hope it fails miserably.  ;D

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

GoHogs1091

Here is my overall view/take on the Auburn football program.  To me, the only thing going for that program is 2 Coaches, J.B. Grimes and Lance Thompson.

The rest of that program does not have the necessary elements for long-term sustained success.  Sure, they can have the occasional flash-in-the pan season if they get another player like a Bo Jackson, or Cam Newton, but overall, they are going to have long term trouble with teams with talent like Alabama and Georgia.

We are talking about a football program who has not won on the road at Baton Rouge since 1999.

JansterZ71

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 19, 2015, 06:41:44 pm
Here is my overall view/take on the Auburn football program.  To me, the only thing going for that program is 2 Coaches, J.B. Grimes and Lance Thompson.

The rest of that program does not have the necessary elements for long-term sustained success.  Sure, they can have the occasional flash-in-the pan season if they get another player like a Bo Jackson, or Cam Newton, but overall, they are going to have long term trouble with teams with talent like Alabama and Georgia.

We are talking about a football program who has not won on the road at Baton Rouge since 1999.
We're also talking about the same program that has 3 SEC championships,  2 undefeated seasons,  2 NC appearances,  with 1 National Championships in that same timeframe.  Just saying.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 19, 2015, 11:46:28 pm
We're also talking about the same program that has 3 SEC championships,  2 undefeated seasons,  2 NC appearances,  with 1 National Championships in that same timeframe.  Just saying.

Yes, surely.  And that is something to pump your chest out about.

Still, one was done wholly by buying a player, for even you must admit that NC would never have happened without Cammie on your team.

As for me, I'd rather go from here to eternity and never win a NC that win 20 NC's via the cheating/dirty program route.

But that's me, and I know your take is different.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Biggus Piggus

Auburn being picked to win the SEC is a triumph of spin. Gus and staff had to persuade the media that the following didn't matter a whit:

* Lost its top four rushers.
* Reassembling an offensive line that was not very good anyway.
* Lost the guy who threw all but a handful of the team's passes last season.
* Lost four of the top five receivers and both tight ends.
* Lost three secondary starters who combined for 15 interceptions, also lost the team leader in passes defensed.
* Lost seven of the top nine in tackles.
[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 20, 2015, 10:19:54 am
Auburn being picked to win the SEC is a triumph of spin. Gus and staff had to persuade the media that the following didn't matter a whit:

* Lost its top four rushers.
* Reassembling an offensive line that was not very good anyway.
* Lost the guy who threw all but a handful of the team's passes last season.
* Lost four of the top five receivers and both tight ends.
* Lost three secondary starters who combined for 15 interceptions, also lost the team leader in passes defensed.
* Lost seven of the top nine in tackles.

In before Janster has a chance to tell you how every one of your assertions is pure baloney and that the truth is they are better at every single position than they were last year!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2015, 10:39:07 am
In before Janster has a chance to tell you how every one of your assertions is pure baloney and that the truth is they are better at every single position than they were last year!!

Wellp...

They might actually improve in the backfield. The top tailback last year didn't have anything special. But I very much doubt the QB gets anywhere close to the same rushing yards as Marshall had.

The Oline is going to be ordinary at best. No escaping that.

Everybody loves the QB, just wonder why he couldn't win the job until his junior season. It seemed more important to Malzahn to run the read option than to throw the football and run plays to the tailback. To do differently, they will have to get better blocking. And replace a lot of receivers.

No idea whether they are good enough at receiver.

Seems strange that they lost almost all the top producers off the defense and expect to be dramatically better.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Let's compare Arkansas on the same basis.

* Returning its top three rushers, who produced 86% of last season's rushing yards.
* Returning four starters on the offensive line, which is highly regarded.
* Returning a third-year starter at quarterback.
* Returning 77% of last year's receptions, top two receivers, three of top four.
* Lost four of the top nine in tackles.
* Eight different players had interceptions - returning four of them.
* Biggest losses in lost-yardage tackles - Flowers had 15.5, Philon 11.5, Spaight 10.5. Almost half the team total.

That is the element we want to see intact on this defense -- plays behind the line of scrimmage.
[CENSORED]!

BigDrDon

I hope for a breakthrough season. If the hogs go 10-3 this year I will be very happy. Of course 11-2 would be better.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 20, 2015, 10:49:39 am
The Oline is going to be ordinary at best. No escaping that.

IMO that right there is the fly in Gus' ointment.

He's been blessed with some really good and experienced OL's the last few years, but if they have any trouble getting one to gel, their season may take on a whole different spin that what Janster and the media are expecting.

Man, I would hate that!!  ;);););)

Biggus Piggus

I'm told that Arkansas is comfortable with Ellis replacing Spaight - uncertain exactly what the whole LB rotation will end up looking like - Taiwan Johnson is expected to replace Philon well - and a lot more players are going to be in the DE rotation this season.
[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 20, 2015, 11:31:12 am
I'm told that Arkansas is comfortable with Ellis replacing Spaight - uncertain exactly what the whole LB rotation will end up looking like - Taiwan Johnson is expected to replace Philon well - and a lot more players are going to be in the DE rotation this season.

I REALLY like the quality and depth at DE.  I think Tevin Beanum is going to be a beast, but there are many others I believe will produce big plays for us.

If we can get even just decent play from our LB corp, and I think we'll be better than that, I believe our defense will remain very good, and in the top 4 in the SEC.

We can win a lot of ball games with that kind of D.

Albert Einswine

I'll believe Auburn wins the SEC when I see it. I think they choke big.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 20, 2015, 11:38:37 am
I'll believe Auburn wins the SEC when I see it. I think they choke big.

They did last year.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker