Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why would Bret Bielema take a knee four times - Arkansas should have scored another touchdown!

Started by Westcoasthog, July 16, 2015, 10:37:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Westcoasthog

I was at the game and Arkansas should have scored the touchdown at the end of the game.  In the past Arkansas-Texas games I have seen Texas run up the score on Arkansas.  Instead of taking a knee four times Arkansas should have scored the touchdown. 

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Westcoasthog on July 16, 2015, 10:37:13 am
     I was at the game and Arkansas should have scored the touchdown at the end of the game.  In the past Arkansas-Texas games I have seen Texas run up the score on Arkansas.  Instead of taking a knee four times Arkansas should have scored the touchdown.

Because his thought process was that kneeling on the ball four times, when Texas knew we could score, would send a stronger message than actually scoring.

It's a win-win; increased humiliation for Texas and for everyone else a message that we don't run up the score.

LRHawg

Quote from: Hogs run wild on July 16, 2015, 10:40:32 am
Did you see how pissed they were because of taking the knee?

exactly. The classier option always paints you in a better light and infuriates your opponent even more. I was so glad that CBB did that.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

lahawg1

He won in a dominating fashion, does it really matter when Texass has 59 yards total offense?

Dr. Starcs

razorbackfan86

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 16, 2015, 10:40:56 am
Because his thought process was that kneeling on the ball four times, when Texas knew we could score, would send a stronger message than actually scoring.

It's a win-win; increased humiliation for Texas and for everyone else a message that we don't run up the score.

This, nothing sucks more than not being able to do anything. Victory formation is my favorite formation regardless of what yard line it's on.

smb

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 16, 2015, 10:40:56 am

This was exactly what I believe also.
GeorgiaHOG

HawgTide

Nope. Being the better team AND showing class was absolutely the right call.

PonderinHog

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Three and Snout

What's more humiliating:  being knocked out with a final punch after being battered for hours, or being battered for hours and then held in a submission hold, helpless, until you pass out (time expires)? 

What's more memorable/quotable:  beating Texass 38-7 (instead of 31-7), or getting to repeatedly remind everyone for months that you beat your opponent so badly that you could only be stopped by your own mercy at the end of the competition? 

If anyone on the team has a right to be mad about the decision, it should be Brandon Allen.  I mean, it was his rushing stats that took the hit from all the knees taken.   ;)

PonderinHog

Quote from: Three and Snout on July 16, 2015, 10:55:07 am
What's more humiliating:  being knocked out with a final punch after being battered for hours, or being battered for hours and then held in a submission hold, helpless, until you pass out (time expires)? 

What's more memorable/quotable:  beating Texass 38-7 (instead of 31-7), or getting to repeatedly remind everyone for months that you beat your opponent so badly that you could only be stopped by your own mercy at the end of the competition? 

If anyone on the team has a right to be mad about the decision, it should be Brandon Allen.  I mean, it was his rushing stats that took the hit from all the knees taken.   ;)
If we had good depth at the position, he could have been on the bench.  Why wasn't Tretola under center ???

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: immahog on July 16, 2015, 10:53:45 am
because they cant do anything about it .........

THIS^^^^

They MIGHT have been able to keep us from scoring. But they could not stop us from taking a knee.

jgphillips3

I'm glad CBB did it.  People are STILL talking about that and another touchdown would not still be talked about.  Awesome move all around.  Let's not forget that Petrino did it against LSU in 2010 as well.  It's a more effective statement than scoring: Not only are we better than you on the field, but we are BETTER than you off of it too.

Sir Oinksalot

In addition to the other answers ---

...Coach B. just doesn't like the other team to have the ball, besides our defense played great, so, don't send them back out.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Jek Tono Porkins

Yep, taking a knee sends a much stronger statement than running up the score. Plus, it's just the right thing to do.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

COCHISE

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

thefisher

Just another thought on it.  At that point in the game Texas obviously had no way to come back. However, they did have time to take a cheap shot, cave someones knee from the side, stick a finger in someones eye, or in other ways purposely injure a player in the pile if a play had been run.

I can certainly understand taking a knee those four times to prevent any cheap vengeance shots on my players to end the game.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogs run wild on July 16, 2015, 10:40:32 am
Did you see how pissed they were because of taking the knee?

That's right.  And everybody knows taking a knee when you play Texass is borderline erotic.  Far more fun than going in for an obvious TD...

Southpaw Hawg

Plus he knows how it feels to be a 1st year coach of a team with players you inherited.  Absolutely the right call.

Hogwild

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2015, 10:43:16 am
Taking a knee four times is way more of a burn to me than scoring.

I loved it when Les Miles did it at the one yard line to Nutt, with over 2 minutes still remaining on the clock.

just to clarify Nutt was Ole Miss coach at the time

davglo35

HogFanatic

Texas fans are still pissed off by that, BTW.
I was looking at their board today to see what they thought of the AD situation they have their and I was quite surprised to see that their "Eat a *&!% Bret Bielema" thread was still on of the top threads on their page. It was the fourth most recent thread on their page.

In light of that, I absolutely LOVE the way Bielema called the end of that game. Their entire program is still in a state of absolute chaos at least partially because of that game.

HogFanatic

Quote from: davglo35 on July 16, 2015, 12:43:59 pm
We did it to Tennessee in 06 too. Its the right thing to do.

Petrino did it to LSU one year as well. Took a knee on their one yard line.
Haha

WilsonHog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 16, 2015, 12:51:18 pm
I was looking at their board today to see what they thought of the AD situation they have their and I was quite surprised to see that their "Eat a *&!% Bret Bielema" thread was still on of the top threads on their page. It was the fourth most recent thread on their page.

In light of that, I absolutely LOVE the way Bielema called the end of that game. Their entire program is still in a state of absolute chaos at least partially because of that game.

Yeah, between the kneel down and the inverted hook em' horns sign (intentional or not), their collective ass is still chapped to the bone.

welchog

I would have been shocked to see us run a non-kneeling play at that point in the game.  Now I wish JWill would have made it into the endzone instead of knocked out at the 5, but to go for more points with a little less than 2:00 in the game is just silly.

ChiTown27

What's more humiliating? Taking a knee three straight times is BY FAR more humiliating. It highlighted the fact that we didn't need the points, and we had such control of the game that we told the world that we'll piss these plays away under the guise of sportsmanship. So now, they can't claim we were running up the score. They have nothing to say other than, "they killed us on national tv." I loved it. LOVED IT.
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

Dan42AR

Quote from: thefisher on July 16, 2015, 11:55:17 am
Just another thought on it.  At that point in the game Texas obviously had no way to come back. However, they did have time to take a cheap shot, cave someones knee from the side, stick a finger in someones eye, or in other ways purposely injure a player in the pile if a play had been run.

I can certainly understand taking a knee those four times to prevent any cheap vengeance shots on my players to end the game.

I agree or even 1 freak play where someone gets their career ended. Like others have said it was the classy and right move.

ChiTown27

Quote from: LRHawg on July 16, 2015, 10:42:50 am
exactly. The classier option always paints you in a better light and infuriates your opponent even more. I was so glad that CBB did that.

^^^^^^^^^^

George Bernard Shaw

WizardofhOgZ

Here is a link to that thread . . . entertaining reading for a Hog fan . . .

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/154575-Eat-a-!-Brett-Bielema-you-fat-!ing-retard

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: ChiTown27 on July 16, 2015, 01:14:05 pm
So now, they can't claim we were running up the score. They have nothing to say other than, "they killed us on national tv."

Excellent point.

HogFanatic

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 16, 2015, 02:13:42 pm

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/154575-Eat-a-!-Brett-Bielema-you-fat-!ing-retard

Heck yeah it's entertaining. Haha
That thread goes from, "I can't believe that bastard had the gall to throw down the Horns in the presence of Charlie Strong and Texas media! Doesn't that (expletive deleted) understand that Texas is going to curb stomp their sorry ass in the bowl game" to...well, pretty much more of the same, but sprinkled with a bunch of "it must be new for him to not run up the score, and by the way, thank god our AD is on his way out...maybe they'll take that (expletive deleted) with him."

Bunch of idiots.
But the irony in that thread is epic.

Atlhogfan1

Mack took it easy on the Hogs in 2008.  The final could have been much worse.  I'm happy we returned the respect in the Texas Bowl. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawganatic

Not just the humiliation of it, but common sense says don't risk injury by running plays that you don't need too.

Score on the next play, kickoff because there's a little bit of time left on the clock, and somebody gets hurt on the run back.  All for a meaningless 7 points.

How many times have coaches gotten blasted for leaving players in a game too long and getting hurt?  Same principle.

stevec

Watching the long lines of dejected Texas fans as they left the stadium in the fourth quarter was much more satisfying than a "rub it in" touchdown would have been.

ricepig

Quote from: stevec on July 16, 2015, 02:50:53 pm
Watching the long lines of dejected Texas fans as they left the stadium in the fourth quarter was much more satisfying than a "rub it in" touchdown would have been.

Yeah, I was going to say the only ones watching, were the players, the fans left early in the 4th.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

phadedhawg

Texas was so whipped there was nothing left to prove.  Showing pity towards them probably burned them more than another meaningless touchdown. 

I loved that performance but midway thru the 3rd quarter that game got boring.  Wish all our games were that "boring". lol

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Good laugh.

Thanks.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ChiTown27

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 16, 2015, 02:13:42 pm

Read it start to finish. HAHAHAHAHAHA Man. They sure can't take a joke. But you saw the thread die for nearly two whole weeks following the curb-stomping. The tunes changed real quick.

George Bernard Shaw

Sivad

Obviously taking the knee repeatedly at the end had the desired effect - on all counts.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

dowils

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 16, 2015, 10:44:25 am
Because it was borderline erotic.
That is Hilarious...and yes taking a knee is much more embarrassing to the other team, i thought it was perfect..

Iwastherein1969

it was like a wounded escaped prisoner, who would rather die than go back to spending night after night with his gigantic cell mate and the policeman just smiled and politely read him his rights, going through proper protocol to a tee....just so he can be re-united with his best friend...we made the Texas Longhorns suffer,and I want to go on making the Texas Longhorns suffer each time we play them
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hog1952

I was at the game wanting us to go for it. I guess Coach BB had more class than me or maybe I hated Texas more that BB. With that being said BB was teaching the boys sportsmanship that's not taught enough nowadays.

Hawgzinbowlz

We could, we did and Austin's finest couldn't do anything about it.

We kicked their rears, and were gentlemanly about it.

" WOO PIG "