Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kiss of Death in Austin

Started by WilsonHog, July 15, 2015, 10:49:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flagstaffhog

Strange. One would think that texass would know what they were getting before they hired the man. If my memory is coherent today, some of the same issues were brought up during his brief stay in Phoenix with AZ State...

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

Augustus

LMAO!!!

Per the article, The University of Texas' administration, alumni, donors, and fans... calling their Athletic Director's behavior "impersonal or even arrogant"

The only thing that comes to mind:

intoxhog

Quote from: Augustus on July 16, 2015, 01:23:10 am
LMAO!!!

Per the article, The University of Texas' administration, alumni, donors, and fans... calling their Athletic Director's behavior "impersonal or even arrogant"

I don't get it, what's the problem? He should fit right in.
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

daBoar

While silent on the subject, I'm sure 31-7 didn't help.

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

MuskogeeHogFan

LMAO!!!

The only thing that comes to mind:

Wrong part of the country for an AD to project an attitude like that.
Go Hogs Go!

BPsTheMan

Arrogant, or "perceived as arrogant" by the same arrogant boosters who wanted Charlie Strong fired day one?

I don't see where ticket prices and budget decisions have been explained in the article in regard to "impersonal and arrogant" behavior.

Is Horns Digest a mouthpiece for pissed off old money? Is this DMN writer the same?

Maybe the AD really is a jerk. Or maybe Texas really does continue to be a collection of jerks.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2015, 06:29:41 am

ANY part of the country.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 16, 2015, 07:11:05 am
ANY part of the country.

I don't disagree but AD's in the northeast or even at some schools in the north might be able to get away with this to some extent. Down South, not so much.
Go Hogs Go!

HogWall Jackson

Men the criticism on Patterson set in the Day he hired a Black Man to be the Head Coach @ Texas. There are those that want both he and Strong to fail and would be glad to rid themselves of both.

I am still of the belief that they both survive and that Charlie Strong was an Excellent Selection for the Coaching Job at Texas. The same people who didn't want Strong want to get rid of Patterson to isolate Strong. Personally I can't stand Texas but I do respect Coach Strong.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on July 16, 2015, 07:22:59 am
Men the criticism on Patterson set in the Day he hired a Black Man to be the Head Coach @ Texas. There are those that want both he and Strong to fail and would be glad to rid themselves of both.

I am still of the belief that they both survive and that Charlie Strong was an Excellent Selection for the Coaching Job at Texas. The same people who didn't want Strong want to get rid of Patterson to isolate Strong. Personally I can't stand Texas but I do respect Coach Strong.

you are 100% correct

the writer asserts behavior that is not even backed up in the article asserting the behavior

smoke screen by the DMN

Hawgzinbowlz

Difficult/impossible to change who you are.

" GO HOGS "

flagstaffhog

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on July 16, 2015, 07:22:59 am

Well said. +1
Go HOGS Go!

LRHawg

KY Hog Man

This is really funny.  They want to play a game in Mexico City.  Is this their attempt to spread the Longhorn Network's footprint?    :-\

GB-Razorback

Quote from: KY Hog Man on July 16, 2015, 09:38:12 am
This is really funny.  They want to play a game in Mexico City.  Is this their attempt to spread the Longhorn Network's footprint?    :-\

Desperate to have someone, anyone to watch!
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.<br /><br />Jake: Hit it.

Justifiable Hogicide

This is really funny.  They want to play a game in Mexico City. 
Well...

LRHawg

bigdaddyhawg

LMAO!!!

Wow!!

If Texas alums/donors see him as arrogant, Steve Patterson must be the most arrogant man in the history of the world!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

snoblind

Have friends who live in Lakeway and work in Austin.  We discussed it back when the Horns digest piece referenced in the article came out.  He has ticked off a lot of folks. 

thirrdegreetusker

I love it.

The president, an ENGINEER BY TRAINING, thinks the AD needs a personality transplant. Let me tell you something, when an academic engineer does not think you have enough personality, your stuff is WEAK!!!

LOL
You can't make this stuff up!!!

SamBuckhart

Austin is not much like anywhere else in Texas. Like a bunch of old hippies. I have family there. Love to watch the UT dumpster fire.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

East TN HAWG

The article stated that he brought a business mindset to UT.  Then later it says,

"The athletic department posted a net loss of $8.1 million in 2013-14, the first time since 1999-2000 where Texas lost money. Ticket revenue and donations have remained flat over the last five years according to the document."

How does the University of Texas athletic department have a net loss?  They have the lion's share of Big 12 revenue, LHN revenue, etc.  How is a net loss even possible?  The should fire him on performance not personality. 

If Texas is losing money with this arrangement, then the Big 12 will not survive much longer.  There were a few posts that stated the Big 12 is closer than we think to dissolving.  I think another crack in the foundation of the Big 12 has just been exposed.

Inhogswetrust

July 16, 2015, 06:09:34 pm #24 Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:34:15 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 16, 2015, 10:26:56 am
Wow!!

If Texas alums/donors see him as arrogant, Steve Patterson must be the most arrogant man in the history of the world!!

Brilliant and spot on. I wish I had thought of that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Sivad

Think it was Texas Monthly that had a pretty good story on it.
The AD not kissing up to the big $ donors enough to suit them + Charlie Strong losing badly = AD in hot water.

farmhawg

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 15, 2015, 10:49:07 pm
It seems that Texas AD Steve Patterson has been told to "change his personal style."

Goodbye, Steve. We hardly knew ye.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/columnists/chuck-carlton/20150715-carlton-sources-say-texas-president-told-ad-steve-patterson-to-change-personal-style.ece
And I thought that was going to be something about a goat.....then I realized you said Austin not college station.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Sivad on July 16, 2015, 06:29:57 pm
Think it was Texas Monthly that had a pretty good story on it.
The AD not kissing up to the big $ donors enough to suit them + Charlie Strong losing badly = AD in hot water.

That makes a lot of sense. If you expect to consistently pick their pockets you best be prepared to pucker up and do some arse-kissing and you also need to realize that at least to some extent, you are going to have to acquiesce to giving them some of what they want, even on a limited basis. You better keep the well-connected, deep pockets, happy. Acting arrogant and aloof is probably not the best course of action, if that is what is going on down there.
Go Hogs Go!

ballz2thewall

i read a detailed article not long ago on this. can't remember who published it.

but it gave a detailed account about patterson's perceived arrogance. some examples were given. one was the number of tickets made available to coaches and staff. bottom line is he cut them waaay back.

similar moves were made in other areas. the perspective of the article gave the impression that it was consensus that patterson had pissed off a LOT of people for small money in return.

wish i could supply a link.......
The rest of the frog.

DeltaBoy

According to a local Texas Ex Pat Culpepper who played at Texas in the Early 1960's that Boy pissed off James Street ,Tommy Nobis and other UT greats by treating them like Dirt.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

Pat says he gone just like a Earl Campbell break away run.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 16, 2015, 09:18:25 pm
According to a local Texas Ex Pat Culpepper who played at Texas in the Early 1960's that Boy pissed off James Street ,Tommy Nobis and other UT greats by treating them like Dirt.

Bad move, if true. Street and Nobis are Texas royalty. What's next? Allegations that the pee'd on the grave of Darrell Royal? Seriously though, how could this possibly be and how could anyone with any knowledge of Texas or the job he was taking have made so many outright screw-ups? This is beginning to get over the top and sounds like a contrived hatchet-job. That would fit well with earlier posts that indicated that there were powerful folks at Texas who wanted him gone.
Go Hogs Go!

ballz2thewall

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 16, 2015, 09:18:25 pm

yes. this too was in part what i'd read, in addition to cutting back small freebies for locals/staff/faculty, etc.

edit; another example was to do with alumni. for example, on "old-time" cheerleader day, they'd invite alum-cheerleaders. BUT, the alum-invitees had to PAY to attend the game AND PAY EXTRA to get onto the sidelines.
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2015, 09:23:09 pm
Bad move, if true. Street and Nobis are Texas royalty. What's next? Allegations that the pee'd on the grave of Darrell Royal? Seriously though, how could this possibly be and how could anyone with any knowledge of Texas or the job he was taking have made so many outright screw-ups? This is beginning to get over the top and sounds like a contrived hatchet-job. That would fit well with earlier posts that indicated that there were powerful folks at Texas who wanted him gone.

i don't think it's to much of a hatchet job. embellished, maybe a tad. it wasn't one of those AJC or similar articles. i recall numerous examples that seemed well sourced. a list of perhaps 10 items. the stuff i read was low key on the invective hyperbole.
The rest of the frog.

DeltaBoy

Pat played with Tommy Nobis and said Tommy almost slugged the guy at a fund raiser dinner.

jkstock04

A lot of that reads similar to what you hear about Jeff Long....whatever the case, be interesting to see what happens with that program. They have been on a downward spiral for some time. Their football program has turned into a joke, and I won't be surprised if Charlie Strong isn't kicked to the curb before long.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Rzbakfromwaybak

This latest news on Patterson is predictable.  From previous reports, he has stepped on Bevo's tail, a little too often.  Unless he is able to do a 360....he's on the way out, probably is anyway.

Sounds like he is basically on probation now, having to meet with the school president once a week.  Looks like they are eventually going to try & ease him out the door, with as little embarrassment as possible.

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Doug

It's hilarious reading the reactions of some of you. Back in 2007-2008, the players of this little dance and the school itself was different, but the nature of the game was the same.

Texas 2014-15 <-> Arkansas 2007-08.

(Don't read this as a complaint about Jeff Long... he did what he had to do to right the ship)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

WorfHog

Quote from: Doug on July 17, 2015, 08:06:37 am
It's hilarious reading the reactions of some of you. Back in 2007-2008, the players of this little dance and the school itself was different, but the nature of the game was the same.

Texas 2014-15 <-> Arkansas 2007-08.

(Don't read this as a complaint about Jeff Long... he did what he had to do to right the ship)

We can all hope UT fires him before he can get them back on track.

proffitthog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2015, 06:29:41 am
I agree, gone.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Pig in the Pokey

yeah, he's a friggin idiot. He's "that guy" who takes over as a new boss and tries to put his stamp on every little thing. I don't know about the black coach thing but he hired two of them so i'd say he was sticking to his guns on that one.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

wachhog

Tommy and Street sound like the Nutts and their supporters...

wachhog

Few could play the kiss-up game like DeLoss...and Frank

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: wachhog on July 17, 2015, 07:13:45 pm
Tommy and Street sound like the Nutts and their supporters...

Except those are longhorn royalty as another said. Nutty and his gang not even close to that in Hog land.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 17, 2015, 06:07:12 pm

Try doing a 360 and see where you are headed thereafter.....

If you didn't understand the meaning in my original post, my apologizes for any confusion, I stand corrected.  Most posters on here, probably understood my meaning.

You might try not being such a post nitpicker.  Instead, try to digest the substance of the posts, as most do on here... & if desired, discuss. Believe that should head you in a lot better direction.....

tlmack

Pattersons problem has nothing to do with the Charlie Strong hiring. His problem is all the cuts he has made in all athletic departments. Cuts such as using busses on basketball and baseball trips 8 hours or less. Charging the womens tennis coach to eat at training center. Reducing the pay for the people who cut all training tapes and game film for all coaches and 7 of them have left for other university's. Charging 25.00 for alum to walk on the field and the list goes on.He probably won't be there long.