Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB on Coaches in Waiting

Started by Wildhog, July 15, 2015, 03:12:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

He said (paraphrasing) that one of the most important things he learned at Wisconsin is the importance of grooming a coach in waiting.  I would guess that means he's doing that here?  Any thoughts on this?  I was very intrigued by this comment.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

presidenthog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 15, 2015, 03:12:23 pm
He said (paraphrasing) that one of the most important things he learned at Wisconsin is the importance of grooming a coach in waiting.  I would guess that means he's doing that here?  Any thoughts on this?  I was very intrigued by this comment.
He said that he would tell that to any AD. someone the other day pondered whether he was doing that with Dan Enos here.

ricepig

He gone, heading to the CFL. I took it to meant he was grooming or preparing some guys to be head coaches, maybe replacing him after he wins a national championship. Who knows what he meant, I'm sure we'll have Bob ask that question the next time the Arkansas media meet with him.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 15, 2015, 03:21:02 pm
He gone, heading to the CFL. I took it to meant he was grooming or preparing some guys to be head coaches, maybe replacing him after he wins a national championship. Who knows what he meant, I'm sure we'll have Bob ask that question the next time the Arkansas media meet with him.

I wasn't suggesting that he's leaving.  I was more curious about what potential coach on staff he's "grooming."  I took it the same way you did.  But he mentioned it at media days, so it's obviously important to him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 15, 2015, 03:23:00 pm
I wasn't suggesting that he's leaving.  I was more curious about what potential coach on staff he's "grooming."  I took it the same way you did.  But he mentioned it at media days, so it's obviously important to him.

I know you weren't, but the conspiracy theorists will have 3 threads by 5:00 on it. I don't know who he would be grooming, I assume his coordinators.

Cinco de Hogo

Could be as simple as this, he figures that sounds good to the very best of the up and comers.  So the next time we lose a coach to a higher position elsewhere the "very best of the up and comers" will be knocking down his door for the job...you think?

RzRbAcK18

I didn't watch this so I have only to go on what you quoted but I would almost think that in a system built around success you are going to lose assistants to HC positions. Being the humble giant BB is, I could see him grooming certain assistants that are going to be a HC one day, either here or somewhere else.

Wildhog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 15, 2015, 03:34:01 pm
Could be as simple as this, he figures that sounds good to the very best of the up and comers.  So the next time we lose a coach to a higher position elsewhere the "very best of the up and comers" will be knocking down his door for the job...you think?

It sure can't hurt.  I love the way CBB deals with the media.  Finebaum's about to interview him on the SEC Network.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ErykofArkansas

Have to say, "It was borderline erotic" made me laugh a good deep great feeling belly laugh when he said that about taking a knee against Texas. 

Wildhog

Jonathan Williams is a fantastic representative of our program.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bigdaddyhawg

Any manager (especially of people, such as a HC) worth his salt will have a guy ready to take his place for whatever may come.

That's just part of his job.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

JackJohnson

the context was from a question (that he never answered btw) about if he thought the team/program was where he thought they would be entering year 3.  he started talking about there was stuff in the program that you would only know about if you were inside the program.  basically referring to all the "internal" stuff that unless you are a coach there then you wouldn't have known. 

pretty much he was saying that he had a lot more clean up work to do then he thought he would, and the adjustment from when he took over at wisky wasn't as steep bc he was already aware of everything having been groomed for the spot

that is what I took out of it anyway :)

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 03:44:47 pm
Any manager (especially of people, such as a HC) worth his salt will have a guy ready to take his place for whatever may come.

This^^^

Any AD, worth his salt, knows right now who he will hire if an HC leaves. Any HC, worth his salt, already knows who his first call will be, if one of his assistants leave.

Vantage 8 dude

I have no doubt that he is indeed. Go back and look at so many of your most successful programs over time. Most had/have a legacy of producing coaches whose resumes would go on to include future HCs. Heck, all we need do is go back and look at the legacy of coaches that came from the staffs of Frank Broyles back in the day. His coaching staffs were loaded with assistants and coordinators who would go on to great success not only in college, but the NFL.   

Laughing Hog

Quote from: ricepig on July 15, 2015, 03:25:42 pm
I know you weren't, but the conspiracy theorists will have 3 threads by 5:00 on it. I don't know who he would be grooming, I assume his coordinators.

4 PM presser?
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Augustus

He was simply making a statement about his own experience, that actually might have some substance.

In Bama's case, Saban bringing in Lane could be an example.  Saban has had a helluva career at Bama, and if they keep having 10-11 win seasons, Lane could be the HC in waiting.

In the Hogs case, however, it does not apply. Bret's is way too new to the UofA, and has had changes in Coordinators on both sides of the ball, for his comments to refer to the UofA. (also, has not had the results for Coaches who retire, looking to hand the program over)

Don't read too much (or anything) into this, other than it's just a personal belief that Bielema feels about the game of College Football.

Cinco de Hogo

I don't think it has much to do with grooming a coach to succeed you unless you have a set date you are going to retire.  Just like some don't want us to offer any player unless we are absolutely going to accept his commitment(something I don't think works in the real world) you can't expect a coach that good to turn down a great opportunity.  Now that coach might come back and replace you or he might not.  So, I think that except for a rare instance you are just grooming coaches for success and that will help you replace them easier than if you never had an assistant go on to better things.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: ErykofArkansas on July 15, 2015, 03:43:02 pm
Have to say, "It was borderline erotic" made me laugh a good deep great feeling belly laugh when he said that about taking a knee against Texas. 
So very true. This is a great time to be a HOG. Just makes you want to wallow in it.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Biggus Piggus

He was comparing his experiences at Wisconsin (where the opportunity was set up for him) and Arkansas (where he had to start from scratch in every way).
[CENSORED]!

okiehawg

I think it has been said but if you are the head coach you get almost all the credit when things go right.  So it is your duty to make sure the guys working their tails off to make you look good are getting prepared to take the next step and have their own job some day. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 15, 2015, 03:44:47 pm

It shows character. Loads and loads of character...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Rzbakfromwaybak

July 17, 2015, 10:46:01 pm #24 Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:58:08 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
The flip side to having great assistant coaches, is that they will always be coveted for better jobs & head coaching slots.  Coach B, is going to be hiring the good ones.  He knows most will not stay forever, many will eventually get a head coaching chance.  The good assistants, want to work at the schools, & for the coaches....that will give them that chance for advancement.  Any good assistant coach under Coach B, for any length of time, will be much better prepared, for that jump.  If an assistant coach is not getting ready by Coach B's standards,(coach in waiting) that assistant probably won't be working here very long anyway.

That was one thing Frank Broyles was very good at.  Hiring great assistant coaches.  The list of assistants that worked for him, & went on to become successful head coaches....is a good one.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on July 17, 2015, 10:46:01 pm
The flip side to having great assistant coaches, is that they will always be coveted for better jobs & head coaching slots.  Coach B, is going to be hiring the good ones.  He knows most will not stay forever, many will eventually get a head coaching chance.  The good assistants, want to work at the schools, & for the coaches....that will give them that chance for advancement.  Any good assistant coach under Coach B, for any length of time, will be much better prepared, for that jump.  If the assistant coach is not getting ready by Coach B's standards,(coach in waiting) that assistant probably won't be here very long either.

That was one thing Frank Broyles was very good at.  Hiring great assistant coaches.  The list of assistants that worked for him, & went on to become successful head coaches....is a good one.
Yeah, they should name an award after him or something.   ;)

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: presidenthog on July 15, 2015, 03:19:20 pm
He said that he would tell that to any AD. someone the other day pondered whether he was doing that with Dan Enos here.
Rob Smith, please
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 17, 2015, 11:03:16 pm

Yeah, they should name an award after him or something.   ;)

Lol...yeah, good idea... :)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.