Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Summertime Rumors Point to Oklahoma in the SEC

Started by Robert Shields, July 13, 2015, 09:13:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Summertime Rumors Point to Oklahoma in the SEC

Robert Shields

During the summer, rumors and gossip run rampant as everyone is waiting for SEC media days and something real to talk about. The hot rumor of late is that the Oklahoma Sooners would like to start attending SEC media days. Whether Oklahoma really wants to be part of the SEC is unknown, but the scuttlebutt is red hot.

Most conferences have huge buyouts for schools to leave. You can leave the SEC when you want, but the reality is that it's such a great conference nobody is going to leave. In addition to its members, almost every coach of any worth wants to end up in the SEC as do most players. It's the college version of the big time.

Some say the big wheels in Oklahoma were not happy the last time conference expansion was taking place and missed out on a golden opportunity to leave and that they should have gone to the SEC with Texas A&M instead of Missouri. Oklahoma is not selling season tickets as easily as it once did, and in this entertainment environment it's a tough sell when your big game of the year is now TCU.

How exciting is it when one of your big conference games is Iowa State? Let's face it, even playing Vanderbilt is a lot more exciting on the gridiron. I am sure Oklahoma would see the value of having Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia on its schedule. Those are easy tickets to sell.

Missouri has fared well in the diminished SEC East going to the SEC championship game in back-to-back years. I am sure Oklahoma Sooner arrogance thinks that since Missouri has made it so quickly that they in turn will come in and dominate the conference. Plus, in a recent in a bowl game they dominated Alabama, so they probably think they will rule the winner's circle.

I think this rumor has legs, but if it will happen or not is questionable. Oklahoma will bring enough TV sets to the SEC package to make it an interesting addition to the SEC. The question is, who will be the other team to balance the divisions?

If you want a super conference with maximum TV appeal, the logical choice is Notre Dame, which has had a strident position that it will not join a conference in football. But that stance seems to have softened as they have entered a deal with the ACC to play a set amount of games with their members in football and their basketball team and other sports have been in conferences for years.

The fact that Notre Dame has also dropped its longtime rival Michigan tells me that they have no interest in joining the Big Ten. They want larger appeal outside of the Midwest. Notre Dame would also balance out the SEC West and East if Oklahoma joined.

It would be interesting to see the Oklahoma Sooners make that trip to Fayetteville and maybe even more interesting seeing the Fighting Irish make that first trip to Razorback Stadium and get to hear the Hog call.

Two more teams will join the SEC. The only questions are who and when.

Send your conference realignment plan to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

OptimusHog

Interesting article, Rob. If this were to take place, are we assuming a shakeup of the current divisions?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Only 19 days after a thread about this exact topic was started on Hogville.  #timely.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 13, 2015, 10:04:45 am
Only 19 days after a thread about this exact topic was started on Hogville.  #timely.
He's late...

GolfnHog

Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

WilsonHog

Hoggish1

ND, if it joins a conference in football, will fit better in the ACC; it's their style of play...

OK would find the going brutal in the SEC and I don't see it being allowed to pull away from OKIE lite even if the SEC wanted them.

I look for the big 12 to try and expand to stay alive.  Adding Houston and Rice, possibly UTEP then look one of the New Mexico schools, Louisiana Tech or Colorado State.  The conference is struggling mightily and is desperate to hold it together.  Overall, it's a pitiful conference for allowing Texass to do what it did to them.

GoHogs1091

If Oklahoma were to join the SEC, then they would need a new Head Coach in order to be consistently effective in the SEC.

Bob Stoops has become "stale" over there. 

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 13, 2015, 09:13:42 am

You can leave the SEC when you want, but the reality is that it's such a great conference nobody is going to leave.

ldfergu

Just reading the subject line pisses me off.  When will it stop?  I'm so tired of everyone talking about conference realignment every year.  I hate how 100yr old rivalries get ruined because of some extra money.

Fans need to stand up and put a stop to it!!!!!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 13, 2015, 02:26:09 pm
Just reading the subject line pisses me off.  When will it stop?  I'm so tired of everyone talking about conference realignment every year.  I hate how 100yr old rivalries get ruined because of some extra money.

Exactly!

Progress sucks!  >:(

HOGGISHABOUTAR

Never happen. But if it did I`m sure our team would welcome them with a good ole curb stomping in Fayetteville.

GuvHog

Quote from: HOGGISHABOUTAR on July 13, 2015, 03:22:13 pm
Never happen. But if it did I`m sure our team would welcome them with a good ole curb stomping in Fayetteville.

I wouldn't bet the house on it not happening if I were you. I've been saying for years that the SEC would eventually add OU and Okla State to the Western Division. I still believe that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Murr

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 13, 2015, 02:26:09 pm
Just reading the subject line pisses me off.  When will it stop?  I'm so tired of everyone talking about conference realignment every year.  I hate how 100yr old rivalries get ruined because of some *** longhorns.

FIFY

DeltaBoy

Yep I hearing the end of the Big 12 is coming faster than you think.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

soooieman

The only thing I would change in the SEC is putting Auburn in the east and Missouri in the west. For geography purposes alone it would make sense.

NLRHog92

Quote from: Gulf_Hog on July 13, 2015, 09:30:03 am
Some good points are made, but OU isn't coming to the SEC. First off the SEC is not looking to expand and even though OU would be attractive, the SEC would have to drag OSU along. They have always made it known that it is a package deal. OU had the option to jump to the PAC in recent years, but elected to stick it out with Texas. OU lost their big rivalry game with NU and aren't about to jeopardize the Red River Shootout or the Bedlam series. Actually TCU and Baylor have brought some excitement into that league by dominating OU and UT recently. The Big XII just needs to bring in a couple of teams so they can have a conference playoff and have a level playing field with the other 4 P5 conferences.

UT and OU both know that the path to the 4 team playoff is much easier going through Baylor and TCU than having to beat Bama, Auburn, LSU, UGA, Florida, Arkansas and others every year. The Big XII would have been in the playoff last year with only a 10 team league had Baylor or TCU or both been UT or OU. The Big XII also did very well financially for a 10 team league. I don't see them moving anywhere without UT and OSU. The conference does need to expand and they know it. There just aren't many viable options out there right now.

Since when are Northwestern and OU rivals? Just pulling your leg, I agree with what you said. Those three for some really are strung together, and the Big XII was last to the dinner table, left out to dry as far as expansion. You'd think that would at least knock their arrogance and ignorance down a notch, but they wouldn't be OU or UT without it.  ::hornsdown::

navyhog24

Quote from: theFlyingHog on July 15, 2015, 03:03:05 am
Since they aren't here anymore I can only assume Robert Shields is Lanny and Lanny is Robert Shields

Seriously, they are getting dumb with all the deletions of posts. It's ridiculous. I'm sure this post will be deleted soon after I post it, and I will be banned for saying this.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 15, 2015, 06:48:42 am
Seriously, they are getting dumb with all the deletions of posts. It's ridiculous. I'm sure this post will be deleted soon after I post it, and I will be banned for saying this.

I have no idea why posts were deleted because I didn't see them, but I do believe that if they were deleted there was a good reason for having done so. And your assertion that you might be banned is just a tad over the top.
Go Hogs Go!

navyhog24

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 15, 2015, 07:53:31 am
I have no idea why posts were deleted because I didn't see them, but I do believe that if they were deleted there was a good reason for having done so. And your assertion that you might be banned is just a tad over the top.

It had the typical gifs that every other RS thread has ever had.

GuvHog

Quote from: soooieman on July 14, 2015, 11:36:52 pm
The only thing I would change in the SEC is putting Auburn in the east and Missouri in the west. For geography purposes alone it would make sense.

Never happen. Auburn won't agree to move to the SEC East unless Alabama moves with them. They refuse to be separated. I do however, believe both schools will eventually move to the SEC East.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on July 15, 2015, 09:17:15 am
Never happen. Auburn won't agree to move to the SEC East unless Alabama moves with them. They refuse to be separated. I do however, believe both schools will eventually move to the SEC East.

If they allow Auburn to be Alabama's permanent rival every year, why not? I think it would be better for their rivalry if they had the potential to meet twice a year.

texas tush hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 15, 2015, 09:45:53 am
If they allow Auburn to be Alabama's permanent rival every year, why not? I think it would be better for their rivalry if they had the potential to meet twice a year.

First of all. this will never happen, for reasons too numerous to mention. People in the know who I have mentioned this to, burst out laughing when I showed them Robert's article. Summertime rumors are just that, rumors, and are laughable, and nobody with serious connections, even stop to consider them. Sorry to rain on your parade.

WilsonHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 15, 2015, 09:43:59 am
Here is an example of one they deleted:

I have to ask a question that I have wondered about periodically.

Let's suppose, as in this case, that an admin removed a post from a privately-owned internet message board. What is the intent behind reposting it? What is the hoped for result?

(BTW, I didn't remove the posts - and even contributed to them - but if I think like an adult for just a moment I can easily see why they were removed.)

PonderinHog

Well, I'm kinda slow.  I didn't get it the first time...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 15, 2015, 10:25:27 am
I have to ask a question that I have wondered about periodically.

Let's suppose, as in this case, that an admin removed a post from a privately-owned internet message board. What is the intent behind reposting it? What is the hoped for result?

(BTW, I didn't remove the posts - and even contributed to them - but if I think like an adult for just a moment I can easily see why they were removed.)

I think most people understand by now that it has very little to do with Robert Shields, and more with seeing how creative we can be.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

The_Iceman

ballz2thewall

i've seen a lot of discussion on this. much of it a bit deeper than usual forum talk.

the best writings i've seen to date suggest that IF ou is moving, it will likely be to the pac.

good article, robert. there's so much in consideration on this topic that it would take evolving, loose-leaf volumes.
The rest of the frog.

GuvHog

Quote from: ballz2thewall on July 15, 2015, 12:47:16 pm
i've seen a lot of discussion on this. much of it a bit deeper than usual forum talk.

the best writings i've seen to date suggest that IF ou is moving, it will likely be to the pac.

good article, robert. there's so much in consideration on this topic that it would take evolving, loose-leaf volumes.

I would agree with you about OU heading to the Pac 12 if the Pac 12 would take Okla State too. Ain't happenin'.

GuvHog

Quote from: texas tush hog on July 15, 2015, 10:19:04 am
First of all. this will never happen, for reasons too numerous to mention. People in the know who I have mentioned this to, burst out laughing when I showed them Robert's article. Summertime rumors are just that, rumors, and are laughable, and nobody with serious connections, even stop to consider them. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Are those "people in the know" connected with OU???

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 15, 2015, 11:22:09 am
I think most people understand by now that it has very little to do with Robert Shields, and more with seeing how creative we can be.

That is correct!  Mods are getting way too cranky about gifs.  I got banned for a week for in the deleted Transformers thread.

Quote from: Hogfan991 on July 15, 2015, 11:22:52 am
Who is Robert Shields?

You guys never get it right....it's - Who the hell is Robert Shields?

Doug

Quote from: hog13hogThat is correct!  Mods are getting way too cranky about gifs.
Speak for your own damn self! I don't always participate in the RS Gif-a-thon, but when I do, I usually spend 1-3 hours to find the PERFECT GIFs.

And yes, I've had my three awesome GIFS (which took me 90 minutes to locate, ten queue berry mush!) tossed.

I get what Tom is saying, but I'm right there with Iceman on this. I come here for the GIFs, not whatever bandwidth waster Wobble Sharlds puts out. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

zane

Quote from: Doug on July 16, 2015, 04:52:26 am
Speak for your own damn self! I don't always participate in the RS Gif-a-thon, but when I do, I usually spend 1-3 hours to find the PERFECT GIFs.

And yes, I've had my three awesome GIFS (which took me 90 minutes to locate, ten queue berry mush!) tossed.

I like posting the TL;DR gifs. The fact is, I could have read RS's drivel 15 times in the time it takes me to find the perfect TL;DR gif or meme. It's tradition
RIP LSUfan

theFlyingHog

I get what Tom is saying, but I'm right there with Iceman on this. I come here for the GIFs, not whatever bandwidth waster Wobble Sharlds puts out. :)
I can't figure why Shields' posts aren't deleted when they only result in posts that are deleted

RazorbackToTheFuture

Alright I'll try my gif again since Doug doesn't have a problem with em.

Here's my take on Wobby's latest post.

Calling All Hogs

I just come for the posts where the grammar is corrected and stay for the GIFs :) 

PonderinHog

RzRbAcK18

Can we start talking with snooty proper accents? I feel like a prestigious country club everyone wants to join but cant. We look at them and laugh (super proper fancy laugh).

Calling All Hogs

PonderinHog

Doyle Hograves

***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

MrKnowItAll

Boardon Hamsay

If we are going to manage/limit RS thread gif fun then I say we bring back/enable [you] to maintain a proper balance of info and shenaniganry.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

duckman

I posted a nice wholesome picture of Jim Carrey drilling a hole in his head and it gets deleted. #ButtHurt

ballz2thewall

honestly, the gif's make the place look like facebook. but hey.................[fill in the rest].
The rest of the frog.

BadHog

I only read these Robert Shields threads for the gifs!!!

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Rzbakfromwaybak

Gee, this is the first time (in 3 days) I've heard the idea of Oklahoma moving to the SEC ... ;)

Maybe the title of this thread should have been:

"Summertime redundant threads, point to the necessity of football season to start"

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.