Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs check In At No. 20 in 2015 AP Poll Projection

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, May 04, 2015, 11:05:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/news/razorbackfb-checks-in-at-no-20-in-2015-ap-poll-projection-05-04-2015

Phil Steele, a contributor to ESPN.com and expert prognosticator, has pegged Arkansas at No. 20 in his annual Projected AP Top 25. Each year Steele uses several factors to predict the Preseason AP Top 25 and has included the Razorbacks in this season's projection.

Phil Steele's Projected AP Top 25
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/APR15/DBApr27.html
20. Arkansas Razorbacks

When Bret Bielema took over the Badgers in 2006, he preached defense and running the ball in leading Wisconsin to top 25 AP finishes five of six seasons. Since taking over at Arkansas, the Razorbacks have improved their rushing attack by 99 yards per game and 1.2 yards per carry, while the defense has improved by 11.2 points per game and 87 yards per game. Arkansas returned only 10 and 14 starters his first two seasons, but 15 are back for 2015. At home last season, the defense held four of its six FBS foes to a season low on offense, including LSU and Alabama, while the other two teams had their third-lowest offensive performance of the season. The Hogs' 31-7 bowl win over Texas showed what they are capable of, as they held the Longhorns to a mere 59 yards of offense.

Boardon Hamsay

Pretty fair top 25 overall. I think UCLA and Ole Miss might be a bit high given their QB situations and Arizona St is slotted a bit low but hey, it is a preseason poll.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

CattleCorn

I'll take it..... 

...but what if we are 6-0 after beating Bama at their place?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on May 04, 2015, 11:05:45 am
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/news/razorbackfb-checks-in-at-no-20-in-2015-ap-poll-projection-05-04-2015

Phil Steele, a contributor to ESPN.com and expert prognosticator, has pegged Arkansas at No. 20 in his annual Projected AP Top 25. Each year Steele uses several factors to predict the Preseason AP Top 25 and has included the Razorbacks in this season's projection.

Phil Steele's Projected AP Top 25
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/APR15/DBApr27.html
20. Arkansas Razorbacks

When Bret Bielema took over the Badgers in 2006, he preached defense and running the ball in leading Wisconsin to top 25 AP finishes five of six seasons. Since taking over at Arkansas, the Razorbacks have improved their rushing attack by 99 yards per game and 1.2 yards per carry, while the defense has improved by 11.2 points per game and 87 yards per game. Arkansas returned only 10 and 14 starters his first two seasons, but 15 are back for 2015. At home last season, the defense held four of its six FBS foes to a season low on offense, including LSU and Alabama, while the other two teams had their third-lowest offensive performance of the season. The Hogs' 31-7 bowl win over Texas showed what they are capable of, as they held the Longhorns to a mere 59 yards of offense.

Looks like, according to Steele, all 7 SEC West teams are going to be Top 25 teams? Arkansas at #20 is the 6th of 7 teams in the West to be included. I can't see this panning out. Now do I think we may be top 20 or better? Yeah, it is possible. We would probably have to end 9-4 with a bowl win to be in the top 20, but 7 SEC West teams in the top 25? I'll have to see it to believe it.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogfan46

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 04, 2015, 11:45:56 am
Looks like, according to Steele, all 7 SEC West teams are going to be Top 25 teams?

The article says that A&M just missed the cut, so 6 of 7 will be preseason top 25.

-phil

Hogzilla Killa

It wouldn't bother me to see the Hogs anywhere from 15-20. Not too much early season pressure to live up to the higher rankings and we continue to get better while taking care of business week after week. This team is going to be really good this year, the coaches and players seem to have the most confidence going into a season as we ever have seen in recent memory. 

We go into the season with pretty much a legitimate back up for each position group. Nothing that already has not been said but I am feeling good about the player development and depth we have. Guys are really pushing each other for playing time and it's awesome to see. 

OFFENSE
-QB as stated by many on here looks to be in good hands if something were to happen to BA. Game plan changes some but the offense should keep moving the sticks as Coach BB has designed it to. We have something special with BA at QB'ing our team this year.
-O-line can be plugged and players moved if needed if there was an injury at any position with the tackles having played guard and Smothers and Ragnow both having center and guard experience. Wallace looks like he is going to be a nice tackle for us and hard to keep off the field.
-WR depth will be good across the board this year. There are a lot of guys that are going to be pushing for playing time in the fall and this will be an exciting group to watch over the course of the year.
-We know about the TE's and RB depth now with Walker being able to be solid #3.

DEFENSE
-D-Line... enough said already
-LB with Josh Harris looking like a decent back up along with Ramsey if he can get his act straightened up I think we are OK. This may be the most significant drop off of all of the positions for back up depth but I believe someone will step up if needed.
-CB with Tolliver, Dean and Collins all really playing at a high level we are solid. We could be one of the country at defending the pass. They can play
-S I feel great about with Rohan coming back and Liddell getting significant PT last year. Coley can be a solid back-up if called upon and has the experience at the position in his 3rd year. I don't expect spectacular from this group but they will be solid all year for us and can tackle well, adding to their value.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 04, 2015, 12:29:54 pm
The article says that A&M just missed the cut, so 6 of 7 will be preseason top 25.

-phil

Right you are, I guess I just had a premonition about the future for Missouri in the SEC. ;)
Go Hogs Go!