Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

no trey flowers yet?

Started by presidenthog, May 01, 2015, 09:31:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

presidenthog

I'm at work so I can't watch but has he not been taken yet?

hoglady

Don't think so.
It hasn't come up on the scroll bar on screen (been watching the baseball game) - he's been Kiper's best SEC available player for a long while now.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogville38

And my team the 49ers picked a DE below him. Trent Baalke and jed York will run niners in the ground.

presidenthog

The man is gonna collect a pay check no matter where he is drafted but teams are missing out on a dude that just has *it*

Hogz87

None of our guys have been picked yet as far as I know.  I mean I expected Flowers to go first, but I figured he'd have gone sometime in the 2nd round or at least early 3rd.  Thought we might possibly see two of our guys get picked today and most certainly see one. 

dsgreen

Nope.  There have been a couple guys below him in most rankings taken but I'm pretty sure he is one of the best DEs available.  Don't think there are many above him left.  The free nfl.com broadcast isn't very good at keeping up to date on best available and team needs between picks though.

edit: And Vikings will reportedly pick DE Danielle Hunter from LSU, so Flowers is still on the board.

Hogarusa

3 SEC teams without a player drafted so far: Vandy, Tennessee, Arkansas.

Woopig
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

TheGrove68

Still on board was projected as a 3rd - 5th rounded, Mel's best available DE now. NFL profile weakness not a fast twitch athlete and below avg. Burst off snap and won't win corner on pass rush
Limited scheme fit, not advanced enough as a pass rusher to pressure QB. Nothing special on his agility to close on ball....this is from his NFL profile not my analysis.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

hoglady

Wonder had much our guys slow run times and bad cone drills hurt them?
They all did good at the strength part - but showed poorly in those areas.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Hogz87

Another DE off the board not named Flowers.  This is becoming pretty headscratching.

atekido

you have to remember the players have to fit the scheme aswell.  another DE under Trey just got picked

hog.goblin

Another DE goes before Flowers.  Some teams are really missing out.

atekido

Hogz87

Are we missing something on Flowers?  I thought for sure he'd be at least a 3rd round pick, but the third round is almost over and he's still on the board with quite a few DEs being taken this round.

SquidBilly

I'm scratching my head because of my Cowboys.  Jerry drafts Randy Gregory, signs Greg Hardy, all while knowing Trey Flowers is available.  Yes I know Greg Hardy is a beast on the field, but Trey has the potential to be good as well.  Drafting Gregory and his issues over Flowers really has me confused.

presidenthog

I'm suprised a team like the 49ers who play in a division against Seattle who likes to run the ball or someone going against the colts. Now I know you need an edge rusher in the league but some teams do like to pound the rock and trey can help against those teams

hog.goblin

very surprising indeed, hate it for him.  He should be rewarded for that extra year of work.

hogville38

Quote from: presidenthog on May 01, 2015, 10:14:59 pm
I'm suprised a team like the 49ers who play in a division against Seattle who likes to run the ball or someone going against the colts. Now I know you need an edge rusher in the league but some teams do like to pound the rock and trey can help against those teams
49ers is a basketcase. I'm glad he is not going there. Baalke= arrogant prick

presidenthog

Quote from: hogville38 on May 01, 2015, 10:19:44 pm
49ers is a basketcase. I'm glad he is not going there. Baalke= arrogant prick
Not disagreeing but I see places that his skill set could be valuable for their opponent.

hogville38

Quote from: presidenthog on May 01, 2015, 10:21:07 pm
Not disagreeing but I see places that his skill set could be valuable for their opponent.
agree that niners could have used him. They have taken two DE's.

HOGINTENNESSEE

About 4 DE have gone that I know aren't as good a Trey

Especially the kid for OU and the guy from LSU that went in the 3rd

Hogarusa

Quote from: Bret Squealema on May 01, 2015, 10:14:44 pm
I'm scratching my head because of my Cowboys.  Jerry drafts Randy Gregory, signs Greg Hardy, all while knowing Trey Flowers is available.  Yes I know Greg Hardy is a beast on the field, but Trey has the potential to be good as well.  Drafting Gregory and his issues over Flowers really has me confused.

Gregory was a top 10 pick before he opted to smoke some weed.  Cowboys got him at 60 and Jerry has had many character issue players in his tenure.  The only real head scratcher is not getting a RB in round 3
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

20hog11

Kiper said the OU DE was a reach for New England. He has Flowers as his sixth best player available and best DE at this point. I just hope he goes to a good team where he can thrive. I'd hate to see him go somewhere like Oakland.....

presidenthog

Quote from: 20hog11 on May 01, 2015, 10:35:22 pm
Kiper said the OU DE was a reach for New England. He has Flowers as his sixth best player available and best DE at this point. I just hope he goes to a good team where he can thrive. I'd hate to see him go somewhere like Oakland.....
This. I almost told the Bama fans I was sorry their star wasn't to oakland. Key word was almost lol

presidenthog

So is CBB is going to get to analyze his own players come tomorrow huh?

hoglady

Quote from: 20hog11 on May 01, 2015, 10:35:22 pm

I was listening to the NFL Network.
They said the guy from OU fit NE perfectly because he's so versatile. While at OU he played tight end, OLB and DE. A few games he played both ways the whole game. Said that's the kind of player Bill B really likes.

20hog11

Quote from: presidenthog on May 01, 2015, 10:38:55 pm

May work out pretty well. He will get to gush about Flowers once he finally gets picked. I think Bielema wears Trey Flowers pjs to bed. All kidding aside, I think it'll be good to see Bielema talk up his players on national TV.

hoglady

Quote from: presidenthog on May 01, 2015, 10:38:55 pm

It's looking that way isn't it.
You just hate to see the drop with a kid like Flowers, great kid that Coach B got to come back for his senior year to help his draft stock - had a nice Senior year but it didn't appear to help his draft stock.

Swineasaur

Seems to happen every year with Arkansas players. McFadden and Jones being the exceptions. Sucks for them.

hoglady

Quote from: Swineasaur on May 01, 2015, 10:50:17 pm
Seems to happen every year with Arkansas players. McFadden and Jones being the exceptions. Sucks for them.

I know.
Mallett gets totally blackballed over a lot whole lot of not much.
Winston has all kinds of off the field trouble and a possible rape - goes #1.
DGB gets kicked off his team for off the field issues and goes #40.
Go figure.

TheGrove68

Don't forget guys the NFL is a business and about Wins and talent potential. Flowers has some issues as a rusher and a athlete. Now with that said He easily can approve his weak spots and make a NFL roster and do well. But in the draft it's about money/Contract/salary cap correlated to a players overall talent level and production on film. And Flowers at this time isn't a top flight edge rushers or pressure player. The NFL is a passing league and in this day and age every schemes DE has to be able to rush to some degree.

Flowers will get drafted and I bet he makes it on a roster ahead of some DE drafted headed of him...it's just his weaknesses dictate he is a risk to early. I think he goes in the next 15 picks.

Nipsey Mussle

How late can you be drafted and still be a virtual shoo in to make the team?

hogville38

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2015, 10:55:21 pm
I know.
Go figure.
NFL teams don't care. Win above everything else. These guys are crapoy role models for our kids. It's really sad.

presidenthog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 01, 2015, 11:14:54 pm
Basically the first round and some in the second. 3rd round you are expected to contribute in some way but after that you start becoming easier and easier to cut and you aren't given as much of a chance to make the team. This really sucks for trey. I was afraid of this happening but I thought he would go sooner really.

TheGrove68

Quote from: hogville38 on May 01, 2015, 11:32:34 pm
NFL teams don't care. Win above everything else. These guys are crapoy role models for our kids. It's really sad.

NFL fans don't care about role models.....everyone wants the other teams turds suspended or banished but make excuses for their own players. The fans tune in and buy tickets left and right ignoring the character issues. If the people want change don't watch or go and the business of the NFL will respond. The NFL isn't the problem the consumer is....as long as everyone is willing to buy the product and look the other way it won't change, heck a lot of the fans could careless about anything but the W's.

Richard_white

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 01, 2015, 11:14:54 pm

The first 4 rounds.  The first and second round are potential starters.  The 3rd and 4th rounders more for depth and ST's.  If you can get anymore of your picks to play or contribute you evaluated very well.

311Hog

i saw so many players taken that seemed to have multiple "character" issues i have been watching the draft along time, and this years so far to me seemed to be filled with guys that seem to have as much upside when it comes to being a bust due to off the field issues as making the pro bowl.  /mindboggle 

HogWall Jackson

Flowers is an over achiever. He may or may not ever be a starter in the NFL? He was a great player for us, I hope he makes it.

hoglady

I never count any player out.
The list of late round picks starting and/or contributing in the NFL is endless.
You just hope that Flowers and the rest of our guys get with a team that's a good fit.

LRRandy

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2015, 10:01:53 pm
Wonder had much our guys slow run times and bad cone drills hurt them?
They all did good at the strength part - but showed poorly in those areas.
is this a shortcoming in the strength coach at UA? Big strong guys that don't move well. That seemed to be the issue with the offensive line last year. Maybe they need to change up the training philosophy a little.
This is fun, isn't it.

MissippHog

Quote from: LRRandy on May 02, 2015, 06:55:39 am
is this a shortcoming in the strength coach at UA? Big strong guys that don't move well. That seemed to be the issue with the offensive line last year. Maybe they need to change up the training philosophy a little.
I dunno Randy, you tell me:

During his time with Wisconsin, Herbert helped develop 41 NFL draft picks, including six first-round selections. Defensive end J.J. Watt and offensive tackle Gabe Carminiwere both taken in the first round of the 2011 draft, and offensive guard Kevin Zeitler was picked 27th overall by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2012.

But I'm sure you already knew all of that.

Source:
http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/ben-herbert-is-a-bad-ass-who-makes-his-players-bad-asses-too/

LRRandy

Quote from: MissippHog on May 02, 2015, 07:16:50 am
I dunno Randy, you tell me:

During his time with Wisconsin, Herbert helped develop 41 NFL draft picks, including six first-round selections. Defensive end J.J. Watt and offensive tackle Gabe Carminiwere both taken in the first round of the 2011 draft, and offensive guard Kevin Zeitler was picked 27th overall by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2012.

But I'm sure you already knew all of that.

Source:
http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/ben-herbert-is-a-bad-ass-who-makes-his-players-bad-asses-too/
just an observation based on another post that pointed to slow speed/quickness. How many criticisms have you seen on the olines inability to get out for screens. Yes they are big ( biggest in the world) but they don't move well. Maybe it was a scheme thing by Chaney and Enos will utilize the screen more.
This is fun, isn't it.

JackJohnson

Quote from: LRRandy on May 02, 2015, 06:55:39 am

Do I think Herbert could do a better job in developing overall speed?  Maybe.  But guys like Flowers and Speight were never speed guys nor have they ever been considered elite "athletes".  Both were lightly recruited players that were of the hard worker/overachieving mold

For what CBB wants to do which is play physical and tough he does as good a job as we could hope.  As we continue to bring in better players with better overall athletic ability and a higher ceiling to work with from the start this should be a non issue

On the flip side Wisky had another 1st and 2nd round pick.  Gordon was a 4* but Havenstein was a lightly recruited 3*.  Herbert had 2 years working with Gordon and 3 years with Havenstein.  Over the next 2-3 years we should have quite a few players drafted in the first two days of the draft.  If so there is no way that is done without also being able to develop speed and agility in our players

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on May 02, 2015, 07:28:12 am
just an observation based on another post that pointed to slow speed/quickness. How many criticisms have you seen on the olines inability to get out for screens. Yes they are big ( biggest in the world) but they don't move well. Maybe it was a scheme thing by Chaney and Enos will utilize the screen more.

You recruit speed, you develop quickness and explosiveness that gives you the quick first step and the edge for players like Philon and Flowers. I realize that cone drills are designed for standard evaluation purposes but no one has to run the cones before they make a tackle. Aside from that, there isn't anything wrong with either of these two guys not being selected yet. Did anyone really expect them to be selected at this point in the draft? I didn't. 
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

It takes time Randy so don't be impatient, people worried about losing the three main players on defense should not be worrying because even better players will soon hit the NFL draft from Arkansas. The faucet will be turned on and it will start as a trickle then become a small stream and then eventually a torrent. Bielema, Herbert and company have a solid plan that has become a process. How that translates to on the field success has yet to be determined. Anyway, a good bet is that good times are on the way.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

hoglady

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 02, 2015, 08:25:14 am
You recruit speed, you develop quickness and explosiveness that gives you the quick first step and the edge for players like Philon and Flowers. I realize that cone drills are designed for standard evaluation purposes but no one has to run the cones before they make a tackle. Aside from that, there isn't anything wrong with either of these two guys not being selected yet. Did anyone really expect them to be selected at this point in the draft? I didn't. 

Spaight and Philon no.
Thought Flowers might be taken in the third - most of the draft analysis guys had him as high as late second round with a low of the 4th round. Hopefully, he goes early today.

hoglady

Here's a quote from the Arizona Cardinals GM regarding the NFL draft.

http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/04/arizona-cardinals-gm-says-nfl-teams-would-draft-hannibal-lecter-if-he-ran-a-4-3-40-time/

"If Hannibal Lecter ran a 4.3, we'd probably diagnose it as an eating disorder."

That pretty well sums up what we've seen with some of the guys taken so far.

LRRandy

Quote from: Theolesnort on May 02, 2015, 08:28:43 am
It takes time Randy so don't be impatient, people worried about losing the three main players on defense should not be worrying because even better players will soon hit the NFL draft from Arkansas. The faucet will be turned on and it will start as a trickle then become a small stream and then eventually a torrent. Bielema, Herbert and company have a solid plan that has become a process. How that translates to on the field success has yet to be determined. Anyway, a good bet is that good times are on the way.
the team is definately trending the right way.
This is fun, isn't it.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2015, 10:55:21 pm
I know.
Go figure.
Ryan will finally get what's coming to him this season...he will be the starting QB for a Texans team that should be in he playoffs...Ryan's time has finally come, sometimes great things come those who wait

ad:  Trey Flowers not being drafted as of yet is a sickening travesty...I guess the NFL see's Trey as a 'tweener'....not big enough to play DE and not fast enough to cover as a LB...I have no other reason because from what I saw last season in the SEC, there was no finer DE than Trey...I'm sure Trey's thinking, "what in the hell else could I have done last year ?"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

TheGrove68