Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Personnel Groupings for Dummies

Started by snoot hoggy hog, April 29, 2015, 08:51:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

If you're like me, Murf Baldwin's articles has left you scratching your head trying to figure out the difference between 22 and 12 Personnel groupings. I came across this and thought it explained them very well. I feel so much smarter now. Bring it on Murf!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1698299-breaking-down-nfl-offensive-personnel-groupings

bphi11ips

Excellent, straightfoward explanation. Thanks for posting.  Jargon evolves but the basic principle is to gain a personnel advantage at the point of attack. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Tequilin' Time

Awesome!  thanks for posting. I keep meaning to look it up when I read Murf's stuff but forget. 

dsgreen

Wouldn't mind seeing a 23 with Walker as the hybrid mixed in there.  JWill, Collins, Walker, Sprinkle and Henry all in on the goal line could be a dangerous package.

Hey Super

As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Theolesnort

Different semantics for different coaches and systems but this applies to our team so then this was very helpful.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

gawntrail

Quote from: dsgreen on April 30, 2015, 11:52:51 am
Wouldn't mind seeing a 23 with Walker as the hybrid mixed in there.  JWill, Collins, Walker, Sprinkle and Henry all in on the goal line could be a dangerous package.

That would be a '32' package because Walker is a natural RB.  If you wanted a natural TE then it would be a '23' package.  I've heard coaches call three digit personnel packages and even 2+ calls.  A 2+ call would be a 22 flex.  2 RBs 2 TEs and a TE/WR hybrid guy. 

Tons of variations on the base chart depending on who's calling it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Tequilin' Time

SECisKing

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on April 29, 2015, 08:51:53 pm
If you're like me, Murf Baldwin's articles has left you scratching your head trying to figure out the difference between 22 and 12 Personnel groupings. I came across this and thought it explained them very well. I feel so much smarter now. Bring it on Murf!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1698299-breaking-down-nfl-offensive-personnel-groupings

LOLOLOL!!!! Now that's funny. I've explained personnel groupings a ton in print and on the podcast. Not trying to leave anyone out there hanging. Sorry about that!

SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

DeltaBoy

It is all good we did not use this system when I studied coaching.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.