Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kody Walker

Started by micali, April 29, 2015, 09:00:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

micali

Was no one else impressed with how Kody did in the spring game?  He is impressive in his size and has good speed.  Kinda reminds me of Nick Chubb body wise.  I would like to see him in some of the non con games to see what he can do but I doubt that happens unless we blow those teams away.  He is our third best back as of now and will probably get the KM carries.  I wish we had one more year with him.

navyhog24

Was against the 2's, but he did look pretty good.

Hog N Bama

He has become one tough bulldozer for bigger gains than in the past..... and that afterburner speed on that long run for a TD! Wow! ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

ballhogger

Quote from: Hog N Bama on April 29, 2015, 09:04:15 am
He has become one tough bulldozer for bigger gains than in the past..... and that afterburner speed on that long run for a TD! Wow! ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
I wouldn't say that he has afterburner speed but I was very impressed with his running ability.  It will be hard not to play him if he continues to build off of this effort.

hawginbigd1

I thought he was great Saturday! Maybe he will have a great season and he won't be viewed like Julian Horton, and remebered for one thing in his career.

TechHog

After the injuries he's had, he was unbelievable.  I was very impressed.  He showed great vision and a better than expected burst when he got into the open.

Calling All Hogs

Kody stepping up is huge for us. We have been spoiled in recent times by having two big time backs that managed to stay healthy all season. In the SEC and with the type offense we run, we have been lucky. If that luck runs out, we need to be ready.

Cinco de Hogo

Probably very few remember what he did his freshmen and sophomore years before he got injured.  He's not a speed back but he is a very good back to have in your arsenal when healthy.

secneahog

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 29, 2015, 09:01:29 am
Was against the 2's, but he did look pretty good.

Let's look at the dline 2s...

Wise.froholdt.bijohn.ledbetter..

Easily those guys could be starting come fall.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: secneahog on April 29, 2015, 11:10:37 am
Let's look at the dline 2s...

Wise.froholdt.bijohn.ledbetter..

Easily those guys could be starting come fall.

But wait!  He had the #1 O-Line blocking for him.(sarcasm)

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 29, 2015, 11:27:27 am
But wait!  He had the #1 O-Line blocking for him.(sarcasm)

He benefitted from the weak back end of the 2's defense but he still looked good. He will see the field this year.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

wildturkey8

He was looking good last year, the fumble on the goaline against Alabama seem to set him back. 

Suidae Sus scrofa

I was really glad to see him do so well. He looked like a 22 year old playing against 18-20 year olds. His physical and mental maturity will be big for us this year, just like with BA.

Kody absolutely trucked one of the safeties, was it Coley? Hope we get a lot more of that this year.

Pigsknuckles

Kody's Spring game performance will not go unnoticed by AC and JWill. Though all expect our current backfield duo to take the majority of the carries next season, Walker made a statement that there will be no gimmee's come August.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

secneahog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 29, 2015, 11:37:49 am
He benefitted from the weak back end of the 2's defense but he still looked good. He will see the field this year.

Yeah..Coley..Santos. ..Eugene. ..Harris....could all be starting come fall..
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

GolfnHog

I seem to recall that while at Whisky Coach B had 3 running backs in one year that split the carries. 2 of them went well beyond 1K yards and the 3rd had 976 yds are so. It appears the Hogs are building towards  the 1A, 1B & 1C committee of running backs and that would equate to some good offensive performances.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

rzrbk4life

Can you imagine if you are an opposing defense seeing AC/Jwill all game and then when the 4th quarter rolls around a fresh K. Walker comes in and continues to punish you.

Makes me definitely feel good about the RB positions
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Wildhog

Wasn't surprised at all.  Been saying for years that he's a very good back. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

italian9005

He was an awesome goal line back and hope we use him again for that

Steef

GuvHog

Quote from: rzrbk4life on April 29, 2015, 01:50:42 pm
Can you imagine if you are an opposing defense seeing AC/Jwill all game and then when the 4th quarter rolls around a fresh K. Walker comes in and continues to punish you.

Makes me definitely feel good about the RB positions

Walker will already be in the game since he's currently listed as the starting FB.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

micali

I'm excited to see how he does this year.  If he can keep a hold of the dang ball he will play. There's no way you can keep him off the field if he has that under control.  I think he will have a great year.

secneahog

I think Jemal Singleton has helped KW and all the other rbs.

31to6

Quote from: micali on April 29, 2015, 09:00:12 am
Was no one else impressed with how Kody did in the spring game?
He clearly impressed CBB enough to list him in the depth chart as "Alex Collins OR Kody Walker" right behind JWill.

bennyl08

I was thinking about starting a thread on this but this one works just fine.

My argument here is, this isn't the first time Walker has done exceptionally well for the hogs in a spring game for CBB. He definitely improved on this year's spring game, but I think it was 2013 that he also ran his was for over 5  yards a pop and looked very impressive. Yet, he still hasn't earned many carries on the field to date. Even with a healthy Day, I trust Walker the most of all our backs outside of Collins and Williams.

Which begs the question, do the coaches trust him more? Everybody is excited about how well he did this spring and talking about him getting 500+ yards next season but he's been around this block before. What is noticeable though is his post-spring "OR" status with Collins. Is he perhaps better at not fumbling, a harder worker during practice, or something like that to garner the positive attention from the coaches? What he did in the spring game isn't new or improved from him. I am initially inclined to think that he will assume the same he has in previous years, but some the depth chart makes me wonder if he has improved enough behind the scenes to warrant the predictions?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 29, 2015, 08:42:10 pm

My argument here is, this isn't the first time Walker has done exceptionally well for the hogs in a spring game for CBB. He definitely improved on this year's spring game, but I think it was 2013 that he also ran his was for over 5  yards a pop and looked very impressive. Yet, he still hasn't earned many carries on the field to date. Even with a healthy Day, I trust Walker the most of all our backs outside of Collins and Williams.

Which begs the question, do the coaches trust him more? Everybody is excited about how well he did this spring and talking about him getting 500+ yards next season but he's been around this block before. What is noticeable though is his post-spring "OR" status with Collins. Is he perhaps better at not fumbling, a harder worker during practice, or something like that to garner the positive attention from the coaches? What he did in the spring game isn't new or improved from him. I am initially inclined to think that he will assume the same he has in previous years, but some the depth chart makes me wonder if he has improved enough behind the scenes to warrant the predictions?

I disagree. This particular Kody Walker has gained muscle weight (up to 250), lost baby fat that tended to plague him in the past and demonstrated a wiggle and a burst of speed at the edge that we have not seen previously. Is it enough to earn him a greater percentage of carries in the Fall? We will see if this carries over to camp when we open up those work outs in August. If he demonstrates in August what he did in the Spring game, maybe he earns more playing time. If he doesn't, obviously he won't.

That was a great performance in the Spring game and that definitely indicates that he is capable of being a productive RB in this rotation. Whether it will be sustainable when the other two ramp up their productivity remains to be seen. But I definitely feel better about the #3 RB at this point in time.
Go Hogs Go!

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: secneahog on April 29, 2015, 01:22:44 pm
Yeah you left out the three positions that weren't up to par

hoglady

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 29, 2015, 08:42:10 pm

You should listen to Coach B's press conference from today when you get a chance. He was specifically talking about Walker when I was listening to 103.7. Said he expected Walker to be in the 2 deep, that his ball security is big plus - said Walker still may play some Fullback but not much. Sure sounded like he's right there with Collins at #2.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

lumphog

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on April 29, 2015, 12:00:32 pm
Kody's Spring game performance will not go unnoticed by AC and JWill. Though all expect our current backfield duo to take the majority of the carries next season, Walker made a statement that there will be no gimmee's come August.
You sho rite.......He's gonna be a dangerous runner & he's got some speed for a big guy. They might have been 2's but they couldn't catch him. (i bet they're not slow) The play was designed to go inside, but he had the vision to cut back & speed to flat outrun the secondary. He's a HOG & I loved it.

BigBen

Kody has been one of my favorite Razorbacks over the past couple of years. He could have easily given up football after the injuries he suffered or he could have transferred after be passed on the depth chart multiple times but he has stuck it out and did whatever he needed to do to help the team win. I hope that he can be our third back and get a couple hundred yards and get a shot at the NFL because I believe that he really does have some talent and could make a good fit in the right system.

Wright43

I think maybe people are getting a little bit ahead of themselves based on a scrimmage. Remember when Arinze had that huge spring game a few years ago? Nothing against Arinze, I really liked what he brought to the team, but it was never near what it was that one spring game.

I don't mean that to slight KW in any way. I definitely believe he is a legit talent, and seems to be a good, hardworking kid. I thought he deserved more carries really the last few years. I figured he'd be our next Broderick Green, but with an even bigger role than that. Unfortunately for KW, Jwill and AC demand a lot of carries-and they should. But I remember when KW started playing and he was the punch it in guy at the goal line. If I remember right, Petrino even said something like he wanted Walker to have a TD every carry he had or something along those lines. I would like to see Walker do some more of that, especially late in games.

A tired opposing D that has already been torched by JWill and Collins, then having to get pounded by Walker is something I would love to see. I think he would/will be a great short yardage, red zone, and 4th quarter option, but JWill and Alex are still #1 and 2

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 29, 2015, 08:55:24 pm
I disagree. This particular Kody Walker has gained muscle weight (up to 250), lost baby fat that tended to plague him in the past and demonstrated a wiggle and a burst of speed at the edge that we have not seen previously. Is it enough to earn him a greater percentage of carries in the Fall? We will see if this carries over to camp when we open up those work outs in August. If he demonstrates in August what he did in the Spring game, maybe he earns more playing time. If he doesn't, obviously he won't.

That was a great performance in the Spring game and that definitely indicates that he is capable of being a productive RB in this rotation. Whether it will be sustainable when the other two ramp up their productivity remains to be seen. But I definitely feel better about the #3 RB at this point in time.

Technically yes, but last fall he was 247, last spring 246. As a true freshman he was 240. I disagree that he showed wiggle and burst that he hadn't previously. Seeing him in some of his early practices here he showed great agility for his size and he showed a lot in that previous spring game under BB. I don't recall him being fat before, but I don't doubt he is probably a bit more toned now than before.

I guess it's just that if you asked me last year if Walker got 25 carries in SEC play would he be productive, I would have said yes. It's great to see him have another spring game, and he did break off a longer run than I would have expected. Still, I don't think this particular performance was much different than expected.

What is different seems to be this.

Quote from: hoglady on April 29, 2015, 10:28:14 pm
You should listen to Coach B's press conference from today when you get a chance. He was specifically talking about Walker when I was listening to 103.7. Said he expected Walker to be in the 2 deep, that his ball security is big plus - said Walker still may play some Fullback but not much. Sure sounded like he's right there with Collins at #2.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Ben Steiger

I'm glad to hear he has tightened his ball security - I can still see that fumble at the goaline vs. 'Bama. If we want to beat the Tide, or heck, make a play as a team to be reckoned with, plays like that can't happen again. Hope Coach Singleton has really been able to bring over his expertise, and teach our backs.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

ICEman

Who is the older of the two, Chubb or Walker?  Walker?  If so, then Chubb looks like Walker.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

MuskogeeHogFan

He may be or it may be a motivational tactic for both players. Kody may not need additional motivation, but it seems like Collins needs a little poke in the ribs every once in a while to get him to ramp up his motivation. The HC saying that the #3 RB is now right there on par with the #1-B RB could be that 'poke".
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Only way kody see meaningful reps is if the two stars get hurt or the freshman running back is a bust

He will spend most his time at full back.

He did look good against the 2's
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 30, 2015, 06:35:42 am
He may be or it may be a motivational tactic for both players. Kody may not need additional motivation, but it seems like Collins needs a little poke in the ribs every once in a while to get him to ramp up his motivation. The HC saying that the #3 RB is now right there on par with the #1-B RB could be that 'poke".

Correct, Bielema mentioned this in his PC, stated that Alex led all players in weight  gained during spring break, lol. How do you gain 9lbs in a week?

gmarv

kind of what I was thinking.but it can,t hurt but help.

Theolesnort

What surprised me was his explosiveness when coasting and looking at the defense and then exploding when a hole opened up. It was not only the long runs but how under control he looked but before I get carried away I think a lot of backs behind such a line could look a little like that. He still needs to be the first team running back inside the red zone inside the 5 yard line if he keeps this up.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Theolesnort

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2015, 07:29:46 am
Correct, Bielema mentioned this in his PC, stated that Alex led all players in weight  gained during spring break, lol. How do you gain 9lbs in a week?
Mama's cooking.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

hoglady

The main reason I think Coach B is being straight - after talking about Walker he then spent some time talking about finding a fullback , trying out some freshman at the position or possibly making some positional changes. It sure sounded like right now the intent is for Walker to be in the running back rotation.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: secneahog on April 29, 2015, 01:22:44 pm

Sarcasm? I think Santos will play a lot and Coley probably will too, but barring injury it's unlikely any of these guys starts game 1. Maybe Santos.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2015, 07:29:46 am

Every meal is a bowl of ranch dressing with a side of whatever you are smothering.

ricepig

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 30, 2015, 08:27:16 am
Mama's cooking.

So, you're saying Mama's over him signing with Arkansas?

bennyl08

Quote from: ICEman on April 30, 2015, 06:11:31 am
Who is the older of the two, Chubb or Walker?  Walker?  If so, then Chubb looks like Walker.

I think Chubb is probably a full 0.2 seconds faster in the forty though. Chubb is an absolute freak of a running back with the biggest thing holding him back is that he is still a bit raw. Like, Gurley was kind of an Aaron Rogers at rb while Chubb is the Cam Newton.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2015, 10:18:57 am
So, you're saying Mama's over him signing with Arkansas?

Shoot, I'm not over that one yet. Now that was some 1st class signing drama. Seems to have worked itself out though.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

nwahogfan1

Kody did a great job but lets not forget he was running against 2s and 3s on Defense. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 30, 2015, 08:27:16 am
Mama's cooking.

Amen I always gained 5-10 during Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks in college.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.