Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Razorback Football Will Be Exciting to Watch

Started by Robert Shields, April 27, 2015, 10:25:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Razorback Football Will Be Exciting to Watch Even With a Few Missing Links

Robert Shields

Great weather arrived for the Arkansas Razorbacks' Red-White football game on Saturday and so did a good crowd that got to witness the 2015 version of their team. This team has the ability to be a special one and might be the most well-rounded team since the 2006 season.

There are some needs that have to be met for this team to get to the next level in the SEC, though. For this coming season, maybe the most important recruit was one of the last singed in Dominique Reed, a high-caliber receiver who was sought after by many schools including Texas. He has big-play potential if the Razorbacks can get him ready by the beginning of the season.

Arkansas has a good contingency of receivers and tight ends -- among them are Keon Hatcher, Hunter Henry, Jeremy Sprinkle, Drew Morgan, Cody Hollister, JoJo Robinson, Jared Cornelius, and maybe Kendrick Edwards. They are a dependable group.

The missing component across the board is the guy who is the game breaker. Those Randy Moss or Terrell Owen types of receivers are hard to find. But, it's what this offense needs to be very difficult to stop.

The team needs a receiver who is the answer when the opposing defense decides to go man up on the corners -- the type of receiver who can blow past a defensive back with his speed and is strong enough that when the defensive back tries to lock him up he can push right past him.

In my estimation, I can only remember a handful in Razorback history that had that kind of ability. Maybe Derek Russell, Anthony Lucas, Marcus Monk, Greg Childs, or Joe Adams fit that description.

Those types of guys are not very common, but when you have that player who is faster, more powerful, and has great hands, the defense has to play differently because the offense can make the defense pay in a big way if it takes the risk to man up on the great receiver. Defenses often have to back the safeties out of the box and leave them there for over-the-top coverage.

Reed could fill that role if Bret Bielema is correct about what he was saying about the kid on signing day. We will see, and it's a lot to put on a new arrival, but it would be well-received by all involved if the kid has that ability because if he does, the Razorback offensive line is going to be able to run on most teams that do not commit extra people for run support. Reed is hopefully the guy who can stretch the defense.

Another need that needs to be filled is a speed back. Korliss Marshall was the guy last year. This year it's to be determined. Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams are great backs, but they are not burners like a Fred Talley. When they get in the red zone, the Razorbacks need that back that can run 15 yards faster than the defense can run 12 yards. It becomes more difficult to plow your way into the end zone when the defense gets compressed against the goal line. You have to have that guy who can stretch the defense horizontally. Right now, the offense does not have that guy.

The defense also has a big need. They need to fill the shoes of Darius Philon. It won't be easy. Philon was a block-absorbing black hole. I think sometimes he took up four blocks. He kept people off Martrell Spaight all year. Philon made it difficult to run his direction. If you did, you often found Spaight unencumbered ready to kill the running back. Spaight became a great student of the game, which allowed him to use Philon to his max and lead the SEC in tackles.

It's just as tough to find guys like Philon as it is to find that big-play receiver. Maybe, Bijhon Jackson, Jamichael Winston, or Deatrich Wise will fill that role.

No team is perfect and most have some area where it can be improved. Yet still, this team is going to be very exciting to watch.

Send your spots that are in need to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

zane

RIP LSUfan

gchamblee

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Doug

For the RS splooge above...

And for the rest of you that are gonna sit here and whine about those of us upholding a LONG STANDING HOGVILLIAN TRADITION of posting TL/DNR stuff... well, I've got you covered, as well.

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

ricepig

Boy, glad this hasn't already been mention in thirtyeleven threads, this month already. I guess restating something, that's already been posted, makes one a bench warmer.

The_Iceman

Wisco Pig

Cannot stop laughing at the Heston gif.   Ah well, back to work.

hogcard1964

Good article

In before a slew of inane posts from members stating they "didn't read", when they obviously have.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 27, 2015, 11:47:58 am
Good article

In before a slew of inane posts from members stating they "didn't read", when they obviously have.

1) you were not "in before"

2) I haven't read a word of Robert Shield's drivel in close to a year.

Nipsey Mussle

Nipsey Mussle

Good article

I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely do not read it. I used to try and read it but was bored to tears after two lines.

Why is so hard for you to believe that some of us simply skip to the comments?

gmarv

the dnr stuff is great today.i read Roberts stuff usually but I always chech out the dnr post.

DOGALUM

Who the hell is Robert Shields?

I read it....I always do. (I always look in the toilet before I flush too...)

Shields.....Marcus Monk was a game breaker?!?   I like the guy....but a game breaker he wasn't.   

And is it your assertion that Talley was a better back than AC3 and JWill?  Speed is a must have at the RB position?  Emmitt Smith says hi.  Wallace Spearman Jr was a burner on the field while at Fayetteville High.....but he wasn't much of a football player.

We don't "need" a faster RB than what we already have.  Claiming we do is just showing you don't know dik about football.   

hogcard1964, Deltaboy, gchamblee, Huds_HawgTide, and anyone else who compliments this idiot......you are the same as Shields.   You are either just too stupid to discuss football, you have an agenda that you are trying to push, or....like Shields.....both.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Doug

Quote from: BBsTheMan
I actually considered using that one today, hahaha!

Quote from: navyhog24
Oh, come ON, Sailor... you can do better than to reuse one that's been on here multiple times before. ;)
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Calling All Hogs

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Doug on April 27, 2015, 12:15:48 pm
I actually considered using that one today, hahaha!
Lol

Your boxing one is still the best in the thread.

HappyHogFan

Did Robert actually write that Joe Adams was a strong receiver with very good hands? LOL

Doug

Quote from: BBsTheManYour boxing one is still the best in the thread.
Just about lost it when I saw that one. :D I try to find ones that haven't been used on here... sometimes it's a challenge. :D
--Doug

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

jrulz83

I was too busy watching the Crystal Light National Aerobic Championship to read all that.

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on April 27, 2015, 01:28:12 pm
We should try not to singe any more players.
Are we using fire now to test the character of recruits? If Dominique Reed was only singed, shouldn't he be ok by the fall?

GolfnHog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on April 27, 2015, 02:10:59 pm
Are we using fire now to test the character of recruits? If Dominique Reed was only singed, shouldn't he be ok by the fall?

guess it all depends on the type of singed it is; here's hoping Reed heals up and is a burner.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: GolfnHog on April 27, 2015, 02:38:49 pm
guess it all depends on the type of singed it is; here's hoping Reed heals up and is a burner.

If someone has to be singed, at least it's not a defensive back.

Inhogswetrust

Good article

Read what?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on April 27, 2015, 02:10:59 pm

HAHA! No kidding! It's those second and third degree burns that will hurt ......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

carolinahogger

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 27, 2015, 11:55:49 am
I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely do not read it. I used to try and read it but was bored to tears after two lines.

Why is so hard for you to believe that some of us simply skip to the comments?

I didn't read it, no need to.  Shields never posts anything which I have not read before.

Also, I saw my first Razorback game in Little Rock in 1967.  It was exciting to watch then, and it has been exciting to watch every year since then.  So once again, Shields is only posting the obvious.

Cinco de Hogo

Some of you stumbling all over yourself trying to prove your worth as opposed to Shields is just about as funny as the man himself and his mind numbing threads.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 27, 2015, 06:11:35 pm
Some of you stumbling all over yourself trying to prove your worth as opposed to Shields is just about as funny as the man himself and his mind numbing threads.
Cinco, an equal opportunity hater. I like your style, baby!

DEVICEHIGH

This all started when one day some dared to ask "Who is Robert Shields"
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Arthur pigby sellers.

I'll admit it.  I read every "From the Bench".  They aren't good, but at one point Robert Shields was a phenomenal writer.  I've read " The Mysterious Girls Bathroom Society" from front to back multiple times.  His old writing was like a combination of Emily Bronte and Jane Austin.  I still get teared up thinking about it. 

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 27, 2015, 10:25:51 am

Robert Shields

Great weather arrived for the Arkansas Razorbacks' Red-White football game on Saturday and so did a good crowd that got to witness the 2015 version of their team. This team has the ability to be a special one and might be the most well-rounded team since the 2006 season.

There are some needs that have to be met for this team to get to the next level in the SEC, though. For this coming season, maybe the most important recruit was one of the last singed in Dominique Reed, a high-caliber receiver who was sought after by many schools including Texas. He has big-play potential if the Razorbacks can get him ready by the beginning of the season.

Arkansas has a good contingency of receivers and tight ends -- among them are Keon Hatcher, Hunter Henry, Jeremy Sprinkle, Drew Morgan, Cody Hollister, JoJo Robinson, Jared Cornelius, and maybe Kendrick Edwards. They are a dependable group.

The missing component across the board is the guy who is the game breaker. Those Randy Moss or Terrell Owen types of receivers are hard to find. But, it's what this offense needs to be very difficult to stop.

The team needs a receiver who is the answer when the opposing defense decides to go man up on the corners -- the type of receiver who can blow past a defensive back with his speed and is strong enough that when the defensive back tries to lock him up he can push right past him.

In my estimation, I can only remember a handful in Razorback history that had that kind of ability. Maybe Derek Russell, Anthony Lucas, Marcus Monk, Greg Childs, or Joe Adams fit that description.

Those types of guys are not very common, but when you have that player who is faster, more powerful, and has great hands, the defense has to play differently because the offense can make the defense pay in a big way if it takes the risk to man up on the great receiver. Defenses often have to back the safeties out of the box and leave them there for over-the-top coverage.

Reed could fill that role if Bret Bielema is correct about what he was saying about the kid on signing day. We will see, and it's a lot to put on a new arrival, but it would be well-received by all involved if the kid has that ability because if he does, the Razorback offensive line is going to be able to run on most teams that do not commit extra people for run support. Reed is hopefully the guy who can stretch the defense.

Another need that needs to be filled is a speed back. Korliss Marshall was the guy last year. This year it's to be determined. Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams are great backs, but they are not burners like a Fred Talley. When they get in the red zone, the Razorbacks need that back that can run 15 yards faster than the defense can run 12 yards. It becomes more difficult to plow your way into the end zone when the defense gets compressed against the goal line. You have to have that guy who can stretch the defense horizontally. Right now, the offense does not have that guy.

The defense also has a big need. They need to fill the shoes of Darius Philon. It won't be easy. Philon was a block-absorbing black hole. I think sometimes he took up four blocks. He kept people off Martrell Spaight all year. Philon made it difficult to run his direction. If you did, you often found Spaight unencumbered ready to kill the running back. Spaight became a great student of the game, which allowed him to use Philon to his max and lead the SEC in tackles.

It's just as tough to find guys like Philon as it is to find that big-play receiver. Maybe, Bijhon Jackson, Jamichael Winston, or Deatrich Wise will fill that role.

No team is perfect and most have some area where it can be improved. Yet still, this team is going to be very exciting to watch.

Calling All Hogs

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 27, 2015, 10:25:51 am

Robert Shields

Great weather arrived for the Arkansas Razorbacks’ Red-White football game on Saturday and so did a good crowd that got to witness the 2015 version of their team. This team has the ability to be a special one and might be the most well-rounded team since the 2006 season.

The missing component across the board is the guy who is the game breaker. Those Randy Moss or Terrell Owen types of receivers are hard to find. But, it’s what this offense needs to be very difficult to stop.

Reed could fill that role if Bret Bielema is correct about what he was saying about the kid on signing day. We will see, and it’s a lot to put on a new arrival, but it would be well-received by all involved if the kid has that ability because if he does, the Razorback offensive line is going to be able to run on most teams that do not commit extra people for run support. Reed is hopefully the guy who can stretch the defense.

Another need that needs to be filled is a speed back. Korliss Marshall was the guy last year. This year it’s to be determined. Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams are great backs, but they are not burners like a Fred Talley. When they get in the red zone, the Razorbacks need that back that can run 15 yards faster than the defense can run 12 yards. It becomes more difficult to plow your way into the end zone when the defense gets compressed against the goal line. You have to have that guy who can stretch the defense horizontally. Right now, the offense does not have that guy.

The defense also has a big need. They need to fill the shoes of Darius Philon. It won’t be easy. Philon was a block-absorbing black hole. I think sometimes he took up four blocks. He kept people off Martrell Spaight all year. Philon made it difficult to run his direction. If you did, you often found Spaight unencumbered ready to kill the running back. Spaight became a great student of the game, which allowed him to use Philon to his max and lead the SEC in tackles.

It’s just as tough to find guys like Philon as it is to find that big-play receiver. Maybe, Bijhon Jackson, Jamichael Winston, or Deatrich Wise will fill that role.

Stopped reading after you omitted Jarius Wright from your best WR group.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on April 27, 2015, 08:46:41 pm
This all started when one day some dared to ask "Who is Robert Shields"

Guilty When I went by 4windshawg...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

lasthog

LZH