Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So now that you have seen the Red/White Game...

Started by HogMantheIntruder, April 25, 2015, 11:16:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoblind

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on April 26, 2015, 05:37:01 pm
so you're saying Andre Ware's assessment of how a qb performs is an inferior opinion from your's?

Think I'll go with Andre.  I seem to remember he might have been a qb a high level once upon a time  ;)

BA could go 30/30 with 500 yards/5 TD's in a game and some of these folks would still be typing "he's staring down his receivers and I'm entitled to my opinion."

hogville38

Quote from: snoblind on April 26, 2015, 06:52:05 pm
BA could go 30/30 with 500 yards/5 TD's in a game and some of these folks would still be typing "he's staring down his receivers and I'm entitled to my opinion."
I had a lot of good things to say about BA as well. Yes, i'm entitled to an opinion. Just because I said he was missing some big plays down field doesn't mean I didn't like his improvement. I will be excited as to what he can do against top defenses in the SEC. Everyone doesn't have to agree :)

He is not perfect and he doesn't need to be.

tophawg19

Everyone is heaping praise on ba and critical of the back ups but try this. Put Brandon with the 2's and give the back ups the starters and I promise they would have looked much better and ba would have struggled more. It's which players you have that makes the difference. Austin proved this point given the chance.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

thebignasty

QB pecking order was pretty clearly BA, AA, RP.  I think AA has put some distance on RP, but both are way behind BA.  I

Jojo or Dominique Reed need to give us a real speed threat- we don't have a lot of guys to stretch the field.  I don't think Keon Hatcher can run by many SEC dbs the way he ran by the guy covering him on the long ball.

Sprinkle looked fantastic.  He and BA were dialed in.  We might have 2 all SEC caliber tight ends.

A little concerned by how easily the 1s dominated.  The second team was completely overmatched.  I'd probably be worried if it was competitive in 1's vs 2's, so that's probably not a fair observation.

Kody Walker looked great.  Its funny that Mike Irwin mentioned he's bulked up- my brother asked me if I thought he'd lost weight.

DJ Dean had a really good scrimmage.  Khalia Hackett was impressive. Almost came up with a pick.

Drew Morgan is slow.  Made a nice move on guy, but when he tried the high step fake out thing it was pretty funny.  And almost worked.

lefty08

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 26, 2015, 07:20:56 pm
Everyone is heaping praise on ba and critical of the back ups but try this. Put Brandon with the 2's and give the back ups the starters and I promise they would have looked much better and ba would have struggled more. It's which players you have that makes the difference. Austin proved this point given the chance.

We saw the backups with the 1s the entire second half
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: jcarney12747 on April 26, 2015, 03:12:33 pm
Everyone pumping sunshine after the spring game. Reading some of this you would think we have a bunch of first round draft picks. Laughable, really. Walker has gotten better but still leaves you wanting more from a running ability standpoint. He wont bw taking carries from JWill or Collins. A lot of dinking and dunking in the passing game. Vanilla schemes. The 1s are supposed to be made to look good in the spring game. Calm down. It's the young guys that can really show you something in this game.
First of all, we probably DO have some first round draft picks.  Second of all, shut up.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Mike Irwin

Quote from: thebignasty on April 26, 2015, 07:41:04 pm
QB pecking order was pretty clearly BA, AA, RP.  I think AA has put some distance on RP, but both are way behind BA.  I

Jojo or Dominique Reed need to give us a real speed threat- we don't have a lot of guys to stretch the field.  I don't think Keon Hatcher can run by many SEC dbs the way he ran by the guy covering him on the long ball.

Sprinkle looked fantastic.  He and BA were dialed in.  We might have 2 all SEC caliber tight ends.

A little concerned by how easily the 1s dominated.  The second team was completely overmatched.  I'd probably be worried if it was competitive in 1's vs 2's, so that's probably not a fair observation.

Kody Walker looked great.  Its funny that Mike Irwin mentioned he's bulked up- my brother asked me if I thought he'd lost weight.

DJ Dean had a really good scrimmage.  Khalia Hackett was impressive. Almost came up with a pick.

Drew Morgan is slow.  Made a nice move on guy, but when he tried the high step fake out thing it was pretty funny.  And almost worked.
I certainly thought he must have dropped some pounds with the speed he was showing but he said afterward that he had actually gained weight in offseason while working with the strength coach.

ballhogger

Quote from: thebignasty on April 26, 2015, 07:41:04 pm

Your comment on Morgan made me laugh.  I remember seeing him play in High School and that kid just has a way of making people miss.  He may not be the most talented player out there but he has some serious savvy with the ball in his hands.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 26, 2015, 09:10:43 pm
I certainly thought he must have dropped some pounds with the speed he was showing but he said afterward that he had actually gained weight in offseason while working with the strength coach.

Yeah, I think he gained muscle weight and lost fat, which makes him look thinner, while being phyiscally heavier.

GolfnHog

I thought the punting was very good & consistent considering the wind and the yards the punters got out of their kicks. Yes, some where somewhat "line drive", if you will, but they also got maximum distance considering the wind they were kicking into. Had they had the huge towering punts whilst kicking into the wind the overall distance would have been negated as a whole.

Even with the lack of hang time, what  hasn't been discussed is that the coverage by the gunners and the punt coverage team was  tight and there were always 3 or 4 guys at the returner when the ball arrived and in running lanes to prevent breakaway runs. That type of speed on ST's will assist in covering up some less than optimal punts.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Theolesnort

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 26, 2015, 09:10:43 pm
One poster somewhere said Walker looked like a typical Bama running back. Funny, but maybe true.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

DeltaBoy

This Team will be dangerous this Fall. Beware of the TUSK!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

intelligence

I'm thankful for whoever it was that uploaded the game to youtube.  :razorback:

I was very impressed with Brandon Allen. he looks night and day better than last season.

hogville38

Harris looked really impressive. Rewatched the whole game and watched him and Froholt. It wouldn't suprise me to see Harris competing for the starting job this fall. Fro beat Skipper quite a few times. Boyh guys were always around the ball. Also Ledbetter as well.

hawginbigd1

I was impressed with some of the confidence and improvement I saw from BA, but pump the brakes a little, because that secondary he was going against was terrible. I did see BA move people with his eyes, which I have rarely seen from him. His accuracy on such a windy day was impressive as well.

1st team defense was impressive from top to bottom, maybe the reason why the back-up QB's were so terrible, but i was worried most about their inaccuracy most of all, they had some receivers who were SEC open and they couldn't fit the ball in.

Khalia Hacket is a beast, Jeremy Sprinkle may not be underutilized going forward.

Hogville38 you can't be critical of BA when he plays bad, much less when he has a good performance like Saturday on HV, you are considered a heretic. You stick to doing you and let the blinders folks be them, I know it is difficult. As good as he was I did see times where it seems he predetermined his target without seeing other options. This and staring his receivers down has been a weakness for him, and i hope Enos can help him change that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 29, 2015, 11:16:12 am
I was impressed with some of the confidence and improvement I saw from BA, but pump the brakes a little, because that secondary he was going against was terrible. I did see BA move people with his eyes, which I have rarely seen from him. His accuracy on such a windy day was impressive as well.

1st team defense was impressive from top to bottom, maybe the reason why the back-up QB's were so terrible, but i was worried most about their inaccuracy most of all, they had some receivers who were SEC open and they couldn't fit the ball in.

Khalia Hacket is a beast, Jeremy Sprinkle may not be underutilized going forward.

Hogville38 you can't be critical of BA when he plays bad, much less when he has a good performance like Saturday on HV, you are considered a heretic. You stick to doing you and let the blinders folks be them, I know it is difficult. As good as he was I did see times where it seems he predetermined his target without seeing other options. This and staring his receivers down has been a weakness for him, and i hope Enos can help him change that.

The real question is, why would a fan want to criticize BA when he had a good performance on Saturday?

Cinco de Hogo

April 29, 2015, 11:25:21 am #67 Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:21:49 pm by Cinco de Hogo
Quote from: PorkRinds on April 29, 2015, 11:20:19 am
The real question is, why would a fan want to criticize BA when he had a good performance on Saturday?

Do you know what the title of this forum is?  MMQ's do what they do and love doing it.  I love all the differant takes and would hate to be pigeon holed into what any one poster thinks.

hawginbigd1

one could say evaluate areas that could be improved, or make assesments, give a critique, but that seems unnecessary. This is why I am here, to discuss the good and the bad, and the OK and anything else I see from my perspective. And the flip side to see whatever everyone else is seeing or thinking. Being critical or giving a critique is not heretical even though it is viewed as such by many on HV. If I was not a "fanatical" I wouldn't care enough to post.

ricepig

I hate it when a QB looks at the guy he's throwing to, you always need to look to the other side of the field, never at the guy you're passing to........

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on April 29, 2015, 11:41:50 am
I hate it when a QB looks at the guy he's throwing to, you always need to look to the other side of the field, never at the guy you're passing to........
RP y you always gotta be a horse's nether region  ;D I laughed anyway

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 29, 2015, 11:41:50 am
We need Rev to work with BA on his eye contact skillz...

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 29, 2015, 11:44:01 am
RP y you always gotta be a horse's nether region  ;D I laughed anyway

I guess until everyone on MMQB gets a set of those virtual reality goggles, we'll have to live with his starring down receivers. I've watched the first half twice, I don't see this "starring" down. Does he look at a 3 receiver route and wait for his guy to clear open, yep, does he hit quick looks, yep, does he dump off passes, yep. I hate to tell some of you, but that's our offense.

Augustus

Interesting article by Matt Hayes about the top 10 teams in terms of momentum, coming out of the spring...

Arkansas is ranked #3.

Also agree with TCU, they could be headed to the playoffs this year.

but the slide show is kind of screwy, have to mouse of the picture to flip through the list

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4642908-top-10-spring-momentum-ohio-state-tcu-usc-irish-michigan-arkansas-tennessee-clemson/slide/319118

intelligence

Sprinkle and Henry are awesome together. Both good route runners and catchers.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Pig In The City on April 26, 2015, 06:39:03 pm
We have good depth everywhere but QB.  If BA gets hurt, well, we have to think that won't happen.  Neither backup QBs are ready to be competitive in SEC play.

Funny how when our backups have one bad day, they're terrible, book closed.  Yet for at least two seasons we had fans clamoring for a switch to Brandon Mitchell at QB, despite the fact that he laid eggs in the Red/White game and the open practices. 

I'm just guessing that they would have looked better had they played with the 1's, but maybe that's just me.  We saw Austin do pretty well a few times last season, so I'm going to trust that he's not terrible and hope I'm right.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.