Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL combine invites

Started by bennyl08, February 06, 2015, 06:02:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Arkansas Invites: Flowers, Philon, Spaight, Derby.

Notable misses: Cook, Tevin Mitchel.

I think all 4 of our invites are going to impress. Flowers started off as a super explosive DE who would often explode right past the play. As he got better, he really worked on his run stopping skills and leaning when to stay home and when to embarrass the OT. Now, many consider him a run stopping DE and not a pass rusher, when IMO it is almost the opposite. It's just that he has really worked on run stopping the past two years because he is naturally a pass rush guy.

Spaight was incredibly athletic his entire time here, it just took him some time to mentally adjust. I think the latter part may hurt him a bit in the draft. However, I have no doubt that he will do great at the combine.

Philon and Derby are more interesting candidates. Philon is a bit of a tweener, but not in the usual meaning. He can be a quick and undersized DT in the 4-3 or an average 3-4 DE. So far, I think he has gotten by being more explosive than most people are used to, and has a lot of technique left to learn. However, he is a physical specimen to be sure. The big question will be where he will fit in at the NFL. Geno Atkins and A-a-ron Donald's success will help his draft stock, but I doubt he gets taken before the 4th. Derby is in a similar boat. Personally, while I despise the patriots, I think he has patriots written all over him. A versatile player who has experience at LB, QB, and TE almost personifies what they look for. As an athlete, I think he will do very well compared to other TE's in terms of athleticism. He still has a LOT to learn in technique, but his intelligence and athletic ability should counteract that.

Brey Cook was a 5* player out of HS. Based on his career here, I would say his size and technique are better than his athleticism. Both downsides to his career at the next level because everybody has technique and size. Still, I would be shocked if he didn't get a free agent offer somewhere and wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it a good way through preseason at least. Tevin is an interesting specimen. He doesn't have ideal size or ideal speed. However, I think he is good enough to get the job done against most guys and has the mentality to do so.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ArmyOfnobunaga

Cook and mitchel are huge misses for the combine experts that selected... but will get a chance somewhere.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 06, 2015, 10:15:46 pm
Cook and mitchel are huge misses for the combine experts that selected... but will get a chance somewhere.

They'll get a chance to show their skills at a Pro Day workout. Evidently, Cook's mom was ranting about the non-invite on facebook.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

lahawg1

As a senior Tevin has really come on strong. He finally was turned loose and had decent coaching IMHO.....we stopped playing that 10 yd cushion..

bigdaddyhawg

I could see Tevin being left off.  He wasn't a starter as a senior and hot spotty play before that.

But Brey Cook??  Come on, the guy was a four year starter at OT in the SEC.  That by itself should earn an invite.

Add to that he played two years under CBB and CSP, and it should've been a no brainer.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bennyl08

What do you think their forty times will be?

JWill: 4.53
Derby: 4.66

Flowers: 4.69
Philon: 4.81
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

lahawg1

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 10, 2015, 11:39:56 pm
What do you think their forty times will be?

JWill: 4.53
Derby: 4.66

Flowers: 4.69
Philon: 4.81

Don't think JWill is going this year.....jus sayin

rickm1976

I have a feeling Derby might end up being the most successful of the bunch.  Some NFL team will take a chance on him and develop him into a top notch NFL tight end.

razorbackfanatic

Derby 6'5" 251- 4.72, 4.73
Flowers 6'3" 274- 4.81, 4.83
Philon 6'2" 279- 4.87, 4.88
Spaight 6'0" 231- 4.63, 4.63

bennyl08

Quote from: lahawg1 on February 11, 2015, 06:09:29 am
Don't think JWill is going this year.....jus sayin

Oh yeah, whoops. Well, there's my way too early for him...

Spaight I think will 4.60 .

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on February 11, 2015, 10:55:14 am
Derby 6'5" 251- 4.72, 4.73
Flowers 6'3" 274- 4.81, 4.83
Philon 6'2" 279- 4.87, 4.88
Spaight 6'0" 231- 4.63, 4.63

Are these actual combine results?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jackflash

Mitchell chances will depend on NFL doctors. I am sure most teams will check out his injury while at Arkansas

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 11, 2015, 01:53:20 pm
Are these actual combine results?

Not until next weekend.  Feb 17-23 or something like that. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on February 11, 2015, 02:10:37 pm
Not until next weekend.  Feb 17-23 or something like that. 

That's what I was thinking, so it kind of surprised me to see what I thought were actual times.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

razorbackfanatic

Lol just making predictions for fun and answering bennyl08's question!

bennyl08

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 06, 2015, 06:02:51 pm
Arkansas Invites: Flowers, Philon, Spaight, Derby.

Notable misses: Cook, Tevin Mitchel.

I think all 4 of our invites are going to impress. Flowers started off as a super explosive DE who would often explode right past the play. As he got better, he really worked on his run stopping skills and leaning when to stay home and when to embarrass the OT. Now, many consider him a run stopping DE and not a pass rusher, when IMO it is almost the opposite. It's just that he has really worked on run stopping the past two years because he is naturally a pass rush guy.

Spaight was incredibly athletic his entire time here, it just took him some time to mentally adjust. I think the latter part may hurt him a bit in the draft. However, I have no doubt that he will do great at the combine.

Philon and Derby are more interesting candidates. Philon is a bit of a tweener, but not in the usual meaning. He can be a quick and undersized DT in the 4-3 or an average 3-4 DE. So far, I think he has gotten by being more explosive than most people are used to, and has a lot of technique left to learn. However, he is a physical specimen to be sure. The big question will be where he will fit in at the NFL. Geno Atkins and A-a-ron Donald's success will help his draft stock, but I doubt he gets taken before the 4th. Derby is in a similar boat. Personally, while I despise the patriots, I think he has patriots written all over him. A versatile player who has experience at LB, QB, and TE almost personifies what they look for. As an athlete, I think he will do very well compared to other TE's in terms of athleticism. He still has a LOT to learn in technique, but his intelligence and athletic ability should counteract that.

Brey Cook was a 5* player out of HS. Based on his career here, I would say his size and technique are better than his athleticism. Both downsides to his career at the next level because everybody has technique and size. Still, I would be shocked if he didn't get a free agent offer somewhere and wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it a good way through preseason at least. Tevin is an interesting specimen. He doesn't have ideal size or ideal speed. However, I think he is good enough to get the job done against most guys and has the mentality to do so.

Called that one didn't I?