Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Death of the season ticket

Started by Karma, August 16, 2017, 11:51:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 17, 2017, 09:07:52 am
The season ticket has never been alive to me. You never know what life brings. Schedules and priority list can change in an instance.

True, don't buy that new pickup tomorrow, you might not be alive.......

longtimeHogfan

We finally had to give up our tickets.  For years I didn't want to go if it was too hot and Mrs. Longtime didn't want to go if it was too cold and neither of us wanted to go if it was pouring rain....we'd been thinking about giving up our tickets for some time.  But then Mrs. Longtime's declining health made the decision for us.  We're right there with you in spirit, every Saturday.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2017, 08:14:53 am
They are all very active, play multiple sports, are active in the church they attend, good students, none of them are gamers, they do play video games but not for hours on end. BUt They'd rather dvr the game at someone's house, go ply back yard football for a while, go watch the 1st half, then go play basketball or then go back in and watch the 2dn half zipping through the commercials instead of burning a entire day to go to a game. 

Perhaps lazy and unmotivated are those content to sit in a lawn chair getting drunk at a tailgate.

At least those tailgaters take the time and effort to go to the games. They also don't all get drunk either. That being said I was only joking about them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawganatic on August 17, 2017, 09:04:31 am
So sitting on your butt for 4+ hours WATCHING a game, opposed to being out and about doing things, constitutes motivation?

Weird logic...

They don't realize they CAN move around and even socialize more at the live event and get the added benefit of seeing and experiencing things they can't by not being there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 17, 2017, 09:48:53 am
They don't realize they CAN move around and even socialize more at the live event and get the added benefit of seeing and experiencing things they can't by not being there.

It seems to me the student section is up and moving a lot, at least while they are there. Now, my sedimentary butt is up and down as the game requires, haha.

Inhogswetrust

August 17, 2017, 10:03:38 am #55 Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:38:40 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on August 17, 2017, 09:53:47 am
It seems to me the student section is up and moving a lot, at least while they are there. Now, my sedimentary butt is up and down as the game requires, haha.

I've been joking in this thread BUT I do move around some at the games. I don't sit still the whole time. I'm up and down. Thankfully where our seats are it doesn't interfere with those behind us. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 17, 2017, 09:47:05 am
At least those tailgaters take the time and effort to go to the games. They also don't all get drunk either. That being said I was only joking about them.

My point was more about the thought process of the people who will be the next generation or 2 of people who usually buy season tickets. I remember vividly when my dad got tickets to the Houston game in 79. I about fainted ( no not season tickets but bear with me ). It was a big deal to get tickets and go because maybe 2 games a year were on tv ( oddly enough that game was the ABC game of the week ). Now it is no big deal really. 1st tickets are almost always plentiful and below face value. 2nd every game is on tv. 3rd kids young adults do not seem to allocate as much time to single events as before. 4, $$$$. Most people have to be somewhat established in their career before they can afford things like season tickets.

That said, season tickets will always be around, but as the article and posters have pointed out they may not be the main way individual fans buy their tickets.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2017, 10:13:43 am
My point was more about the thought process of the people who will be the next generation or 2 of people who usually buy season tickets. I remember vividly when my dad got tickets to the Houston game in 79. I about fainted ( no not season tickets but bear with me ). It was a big deal to get tickets and go because maybe 2 games a year were on tv ( oddly enough that game was the ABC game of the week ). Now it is no big deal really. 1st tickets are almost always plentiful and below face value. 2nd every game is on tv. 3rd kids young adults do not seem to allocate as much time to single events as before. 4, $$$$. Most people have to be somewhat established in their career before they can afford things like season tickets.

That said, season tickets will always be around, but as the article and posters have pointed out they may not be the main way individual fans buy their tickets.

Good reply. I readily admit with the proliferation of games on TV and such as well as newer generations having moire options for "entertainment" it has put a dent in things.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2017, 10:13:43 am

I believe they sold a record number of Access passes for the students last year, so some attend the games. They also have a Young Alumni program where they get 1/2 priced season tickets for 5 years are so. We'll see if the younger crowd bellies up to the bar after us old folks die off.

snoblind

My parents started getting season tickets in the 50's.  I took them over after the Citadel game.  My mom could no longer go to games and Frank pi$$ed my dad off with the Crowe debacle.  My first games were in 1964.  So I've been there at the very height of the program as well as the lows since then.

Football in Fayetteville is how I've spent falls my whole life so season tickets is an ingrained habit.  Just doesn't seem as big as deal as it once did.

I've probably missed as more games the past few years as I did the first 50 years.  I suspect the PTB will pull the same stunt with section 104 foundation donations that they did with lot 44 parking passes within a few years.  Probably when I say I'm done although I have offers on the table from folks to take over the tickets   

AirWarren

Tyro3

Quote from: AP85 on August 17, 2017, 10:42:45 am
Season tickets. Pfft. No thanks.

So what team did you say you were a fan of?

AirWarren

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

AirWarren

Headhog32

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 16, 2017, 12:53:11 pm
Very well said. Especially about the memories. One one my greatest memories of my Dad was when we beat tejas when I was a student at the UA and my family came up for the game. I never will forget us celebrating that victory together on Dickson St.
I agree! its all about the memories and some of my best memories come from being at a hogs game. the tailgating, calling the hogs at the kickoff, storming the field when we beat LSU a few years ago. priceless

hogsanity

Quote from: Tyro3 on August 17, 2017, 10:48:21 am
So what team did you say you were a fan of?

So now we are back to you can only be a real fan if ( insert whatever qualifier you need to to make your argument here ). Now you can't be a real fan if you don't buy season tickets?

If you have the money for the tickets AND the donation AND the time by all means spend it. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on August 17, 2017, 11:37:43 am
So now we are back to you can only be a real fan if ( insert whatever qualifier you need to to make your argument here ). Now you can't be a real fan if you don't buy season tickets?

If you have the money for the tickets AND the donation AND the time by all means spend it. 

Has nothing to do with it. A lot of fans have never been to a game. It is his constant negativity that makes him not a real fan.

GTOWNHOG

2017 is my 44th consecutive season of having season tickets for Razorback football games (either in Little Rock, Fayetteville, or both) 

Ironically, the current stadium expansion results may determine if i keep my season tickets beyond this season.  We have been informed that a certain number of East Outdoor Club Seats will be eliminated due to the construction.  Those season ticket holders that are displaced will be reseated based upon their standing (donation level) in the Razorback Foundation.  We will see what happens, but I am not really interested in spending more $$$$ than I am currently.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on August 17, 2017, 12:03:34 pm
2017 is my 44th consecutive season of having season tickets for Razorback football games (either in Little Rock, Fayetteville, or both) 

Ironically, the current stadium expansion results may determine if i keep my season tickets beyond this season.  We have been informed that a certain number of East Outdoor Club Seats will be eliminated due to the construction.  Those season ticket holders that are displaced will be reseated based upon their standing (donation level) in the Razorback Foundation.  We will see what happens, but I am not really interested in spending more $$$$ than I am currently.
44 years. That's amazing, and congrats. I would hope the Razorback Foundation would recognize your commitment and not negatively impact your seats after the construction.

AirWarren

Headhog32

hawganatic

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 17, 2017, 09:48:53 am

I've been to a lot of games.  I've also watched a lot of games in bars.  The movement and socializing is far easier in a bar.  The actual game experience is obviously better being there live.

It depends on what any one person prefers.  Doesn't make them any less motivated or less of a fan.

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: Karma on August 17, 2017, 12:05:32 pm
44 years. That's amazing, and congrats. I would hope the Razorback Foundation would recognize your commitment and not negatively impact your seats after the construction.
Thanks.  I am a Razorback.  I have seen a lot of memorable games at both stadiums over the years. Attended the 1969 "Game of the Century" as a Freshman at the U of A.  My Dad took me to my first game in Little Rock against Ole Miss in 1960. I am hopeful that we will be able to keep our current seats. 
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hawganatic on August 17, 2017, 02:14:14 pm
I've been to a lot of games.  I've also watched a lot of games in bars.  The movement and socializing is far easier in a bar.  The actual game experience is obviously better being there live.

It depends on what any one person prefers.  Doesn't make them any less motivated or less of a fan.
My opinion only is that socializing is much more fun at the stadium.Tailgating. We used to go and tailgate and if it was a cupcake game or a game in conference we knew we were gonna roll, we'd give our tickets away to someone looking or take an extra kid who'd never been n just sit and socialize during the game, til after the traffic, and sometimes til in the wee hours an officer would stop and tell us it was time to move on 8)

Bigmac2

I have season tickets however I don't go to half the home games due to family and work obligations. But I have folks here in SW Ark I can have purchase them from me or give to or send them with fellow fans going to games to sell. Still one of the main reasons I do this is to support the University through the foundation first and ticket sales second. Unfortunately if I or the folks that take them to Fayetteville am not able to sell or give them away, at least I know I supported the University financially to assist the student/athlete. I'm sure I'll get blasted if my seats are empty however you can only try your best.

Inhogswetrust

rzrbkman

Quote from: ricepig on August 17, 2017, 09:22:03 am
True, don't buy that new pickup tomorrow, you might not be alive.......

The pickup would still be worth thousands in trade in value. The ticket would not have any value left after the game unless it wound up being the game of the century.

hobhog

Quote from: hawganatic on August 17, 2017, 02:14:14 pm

Kinda does.....

ricepig

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 18, 2017, 06:29:07 am
The pickup would still be worth thousands in trade in value. The ticket would not have any value left after the game unless it wound up being the game of the century.

And to the owner of those seats there is value to that experience, don't hate on something you cant/don't want to do. If you're putting a simple momentary value on the price of a ticket, stay home and watch it. Hopefully it's on a free channel, because if it's a pay channel, well........

hogsanity

How many would still buy season tickets or go to games at all if you could only go to the games? No tailgating. Gates open 30 mins before kickoff, you show up then, go in watch the game, and the have to leave. Nothing other than the game.

Athog

Quote from: ricepig on August 16, 2017, 11:57:07 am
Knowing you have tickets and exactly where your seats are, knowing your cost upfront, not getting shut out of a ticket, supporting my university, need more?

Agree!

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 18, 2017, 09:30:14 am
How many would still buy season tickets or go to games at all if you could only go to the games? No tailgating. Gates open 30 mins before kickoff, you show up then, go in watch the game, and the have to leave. Nothing other than the game.

I don't tailgate, or very rarely do. Now, you can't have the gates open 30 minutes before and get 72,000+ into the stadium, but I guess in your supposition, we have unlimited entry access.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 09:57:00 am
I don't tailgate, or very rarely do. Now, you can't have the gates open 30 minutes before and get 72,000+ into the stadium, but I guess in your supposition, we have unlimited entry access.

My point was it way more about all the stuff AROUND the game than about the game itself for many people. We had one poster who said sometimes they do not even go, they give their tickets away, and just sit and tailgate for hours. I can have a party at home and not spend what it costs to buy season tickets.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 17, 2017, 08:49:56 pm
Being a homer is a big part of being a real fan.
Hmmm, so are you saying Randy Rainwater is not a real fan? ;D
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

I love the Razorbacks but I don't love the Razorbacks enough for me and my family to go broke.

Headhog32

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 18, 2017, 10:21:17 am
My point was it way more about all the stuff AROUND the game than about the game itself for many people. We had one poster who said sometimes they do not even go, they give their tickets away, and just sit and tailgate for hours. I can have a party at home and not spend what it costs to buy season tickets.

And you probably spend money on something he thinks is ridiculous, I would imagine that can be said of everyone.

Pigsknuckles

Spectators are the life blood of any sports organization. It is imperative to put butts in the seats, not only for the immediate local economic impact, but as an incentive for broadcast markets. Who wants to watch, or pony up for a broadcast featuring a dismally attended venue? There must be affordable options and incentives for ticket purchasing. Negative incentives, such as blackouts are counterproductive, and brokers serve only a very few while taking affordable tickets out of circulation. I don't have an answer, but what I do know is that there is not much more blood to be squeezed out of the collective fan turnip.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 11:10:11 am
And you probably spend money on something he thinks is ridiculous, I would imagine that can be said of everyone.

I am sure I do. I just think it is likely over the next decade or two that individuals will find fewer reasons to buy season tickets in general, and especially for Hog games once the expansion is done and even more tickets are available.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 18, 2017, 11:19:05 am
I am sure I do. I just think it is likely over the next decade or two that individuals will find fewer reasons to buy season tickets in general, and especially for Hog games once the expansion is done and even more tickets are available.

Or, the continued growth of the NWA area and the university's graduating classes put more potential ticket buyers in the market for the next two decades.

311Hog

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on August 18, 2017, 11:17:43 am
Spectators are the life blood of any sports organization. It is imperative to put butts in the seats, not only for the immediate local economic impact, but as an incentive for broadcast markets. Who wants to watch, or pony up for a broadcast featuring a dismally attended venue? There must be affordable options and incentives for ticket purchasing. Negative incentives, such as blackouts are counterproductive, and brokers serve only a very few while taking affordable tickets out of circulation. I don't have an answer, but what I do know is that there is not much more blood to be squeezed out of the collective fan turnip.

totally agree with this, i am seeing more and more "events" with a sparse crowd i mean look at the attendance of some of these pre season games on TV, or many of the baseball games when the match up isn't "marquee".

SEC football is really cool in large part because you can feel the atmosphere through the TV even when you are not there.  If you can't (Vandy) then no one really cares.

hobhog

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on August 17, 2017, 12:03:34 pm

I'm in same boat. If they move me from EOC and want more $$ I may have to reconsider options. But I really enjoy the game experience and will still contribute somehow, it just may not include season tickets.

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on August 18, 2017, 12:02:20 pm
I'm in same boat. If they move me from EOC and want more $$ I may have to reconsider options. But I really enjoy the game experience and will still contribute somehow, it just may not include season tickets.

I'd say if you're between the 30's, you'll be moved, but I haven't seen any finalized plans, or the final number of Founder's Suites.

The original plans had them removing all 637 EOC seats, it'll be interesting.

popcornhog

Quote from: Karma on August 16, 2017, 11:51:36 am
Good article about the decline of the season ticket. It's written from a pro sports perspective, but still applies to college sports and the Hogs. I gave up my season tickets a few years back because I only want to attend about 2 games a year. Only one time have I wanted to go to a hog game and couldn't find a ticket (LSU in LR).

The article doesn't talk about the certain advantages to watching from home.

Those of you that have season tickets, I salute you and ask: what is the advantage you see in doing it?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/16/16147716/season-tickets-end-secondary-sellers

For me it's convenience. My parking spot and seats are always in the same spot, next to the same people.
WPS

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

Youngsta71701

If the ticket prices weren't so high I would go to a lot more games. Even the nose bleed seats are ridiculous. I get a much better view of my big screen from the couch. And I don't have to wait in a line when I have to use my bathroom. Not to mention the food that I get out of my fridge is a whole lot cheaper.

Now don't get me wrong the game experience is awesome #1 if you can afford it and #2 if you have seats that's convenient.

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 18, 2017, 12:43:32 pm
If the ticket prices weren't so high I would go to a lot more games. Even the nose bleed seats are ridiculous. I get a much better view of my big screen from the couch. And I don't have to wait in a line when I have to use my bathroom. Not to mention the food that I get out of my fridge is a whole lot cheaper.

Now don't get me wrong the game experience is awesome #1 if you can afford it and #2 if you have seats that's convenient.

Season tickets are $250 for the upper decks.

snoblind

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 11:10:11 am

I'm thinking about cutting all the spending back to essentials only.  Hookers, blow, and whiskey...