Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

National Championship.

Started by calebhog, July 01, 2018, 08:15:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

calebhog

I know it should have been this year but you think the hogs will win it all in the near future? Seems like we just keep getting closer and closer.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Anything is possible.  I would hope that the returning players can develop the "unfinished business" mentality that seemed to work so well for OSU.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

calebhog

Yeah I was thinking that maybe when this group of freshman are sophomores and juniors that we might be stacked like osu was this year.

ricepig

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on July 01, 2018, 08:36:46 am
Anything is possible.  I would hope that the returning players can develop the "unfinished business" mentality that seemed to work so well for OSU.

Nope, this was our chance, we'll have to wander in the desert for 40(actually 39) years to go back again.  ;)

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on July 01, 2018, 08:51:18 am
Nope, this was our chance, we'll have to wander in the desert for 40(actually 39) years to go back again.  ;)

Great.  I'll only be 98 years old.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on July 01, 2018, 09:45:24 am
Great.  I'll only be 98 years old.
Then you'll be one of the younger ones here!

Supermark101

We're still pretty deep. If the in coming  freshmen and Sophomores to be develop, no reason we can't go back to back finals. It happens often, which you wouldn't expect. I really want to see Murphy come back. Zay as the ace makes me nervous.

HognitiveDissonance

To be brutally honest, I wouldn't count on it.
It's really, really hard to get to Omaha, much less the final 2 teams.

I hope like heck that I'm wrong.

Supermark101

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 01, 2018, 12:11:54 pm
To be brutally honest, I wouldn't count on it.
It's really, really hard to get to Omaha, much less the final 2 teams.

I hope like heck that I'm wrong.

But look at all the teams that have gone to multiple finals in a row, since 99

UNC
Oregon st
Virginia
Vandy
South Carolina 3 in a row
Stanford
Texas 3 in 4 years
Ucla 2 in 4 years

I believe we are on that level.

HognitiveDissonance

We are on the three-year cycle. 2009, 2012, 2015, 2018.
I don't believe in anything to that, other than that's the way our program has been operating (rebuilding, reloading), so honestly I'm hoping to make it back in 2021.

TebowHater

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 01, 2018, 12:21:08 pm
I don't believe in anything to that, other than that's the way our program has been operating (rebuilding, reloading), so honestly I'm hoping to make it back in 2021.

Realistically, 2020 will be our chance this cycle. We will lose everyone in the current freshmen class before 2021 (Martin, Kjerstad, Ramage, Bonnin, Turney, etc.). Those guys are the back bone of our team the next two years. Assuming Kopps got a medical redshirt waiver for this year, then he too will have a chance to be a part of the junior class in 2020. Heck, there's even a chance McKinney is back that year (if he ever pitches again).

Fletcher and Campbell (if he returns) will be the only two players who meaningfully contributed this year that we lose after next season (2019).

Cinco de Hogo

Might be, I heard somewhere that in every even year a west coast team has won the NC since the beginning of time.  Or something like that, maybe played for...

Supermark101

Kjerstad, Martin, Bonnin, and Tunney are a nucleus of a team that will go back to Omaha. I'd bet the farm on it.

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 01, 2018, 12:26:23 pm
Might be, I heard somewhere that in every even year a west coast team has won the NC since the beginning of time.  Or something like that, maybe played for...

Vandy and Virginia played in back to back finals, so whoever told you that is wrong.

TebowHater

calebhog

So you guys think we will win it all in the near future?

calebhog

Looking at the roster with a lot of these guys from this year's run being freshman I would think we could be in the finals again in a year or so. What say you??

thebignasty

Why do you keep making threads on the same subject?
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

dayofthehawg1

We will be back to that point once we find the caliber of starting pitching that we had this past season.  More importantly a Friday night starter who can eat innings and rack Ws.  Two to three years is most likely the time line if all goes well and we can avoid losing key players to the draft.

TebowHater

July 01, 2018, 05:47:29 pm #18 Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 06:28:28 pm by TebowHater
Quote from: dayofthehawg1 on July 01, 2018, 05:40:41 pm
We will be back to that point once we find the caliber of starting pitching that we had this past season.  More importantly a Friday night starter who can eat innings and rack Ws.  Two to three years is most likely the time line if all goes well and we can avoid losing key players to the draft.

Two years is the timeline. 2020. We need to find another Blaine Knight. Another Casey Murphy would be nice, too.

Quote from: thebignasty on July 01, 2018, 05:30:09 pm
Why do you keep making threads on the same subject?

And this. You started this thread already. Then you have the most recent post in that thread asking a question that had already been answered in that thread

calebhog

If you don't want to read the thread then don't. Was just asking questions and getting other peoples point of view.

LAHOG1962

It would not surprise me one bit if we are back in Omaha next year. We lost some great players, but we have some great ones coming back.

Don't sell us short.  A lot of going to Omaha has to do with been there, done that.  EXPERIENCE.  We got some of that.  Remember, we just got taken apart by an attitude change due to a rather small mistake on defense and a Freshman pitcher who was worn out but didn't know what quit meant.  That could be us just next year.  If we should get back there next season, I bet our hitters do much better.  Of all the ifs not mentioned, IF we had hit up to par we would have been much farther ahead in game two and likely that mistake we made would not have cost us that game.  Truth is we had far better hitters than we showed. 

Also, my vote for MVP of the CWS should have been Cabel and not the great player who did win it. 

JaketheSnake

I believe we will be decent next year.  Too many question marks about pitching and replacing hitters right now.  If Campbell and Murphy come back and we have some young guns that can bring it, then we may be dangerous. Maybe not as dominant as this year, but a sort of MSST like run?

ucahogfan

Quote from: TebowHater on July 01, 2018, 12:23:41 pm
Fletcher and Campbell (if he returns) will be the only two players who meaningfully contributed this year that we lose after next season (2019).
You are forgetting a pretty important piece to this year who will be gone after 2019.

ucahogfan

When looking at taking a team to Omaha, you will generally want the following:

Offensive Stars - Our trio of Fletcher, Kjerstad, and Martin is as good as any in the country.  I believe all three will probably be preseason AAs.  We also have some guys on our team who could turn into stars such as McFarland and Turney.

Friday Night Ace - If Campbell, Loseke, or Murphy returns, we have a guy we can be confident can be that ace on Friday night who can get us wins regularly.  If none of them return, someone like Ramage or Bonnin will have to step up and fill that role like Knight did in 2017.

Premium Bullpen Arm - Cronin is one of the elite arms in the country.  Sure his ERA was not amazing at just over 3.50, but it seems like it was more of a matter of letting a high percentage of baserunners score.

We have the pieces returning to return to Omaha.  The key is it all coming together.

TebowHater

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 01, 2018, 08:40:45 pm
You are forgetting a pretty important piece to this year who will be gone after 2019.

You are correct. Cronin is a big loss.

Was only thinking starting pitching and hitters.

LAHOG1962

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 01, 2018, 08:51:36 pm
When looking at taking a team to Omaha, you will generally want the following:

Offensive Stars - Our trio of Fletcher, Kjerstad, and Martin is as good as any in the country.  I believe all three will probably be preseason AAs.  We also have some guys on our team who could turn into stars such as McFarland and Turney.

Friday Night Ace - If Campbell, Loseke, or Murphy returns, we have a guy we can be confident can be that ace on Friday night who can get us wins regularly.  If none of them return, someone like Ramage or Bonnin will have to step up and fill that role like Knight did in 2017.

Premium Bullpen Arm - Cronin is one of the elite arms in the country.  Sure his ERA was not amazing at just over 3.50, but it seems like it was more of a matter of letting a high percentage of baserunners score.

We have the pieces returning to return to Omaha.  The key is it all coming together.

LAHOG1962

totally agree,
loseke is the key in my opinion

shown006

Extremely difficult to make it to Omaha, much less win it.  FSU has been to Omaha 23 times, and still has NOT won it all.
Clemson, UNC, Mississippi State, respectfully follow next with the number of visits to Omaha without winning.  And, you guessed it...the Arkansas Razorbacks are 5th on the list with 9 visits to the CWS without winning it all.
WPS!