Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey’s motivation is through degradation?

Started by Held Hawgstage, May 22, 2007, 03:41:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 23, 2007, 11:33:45 am
I think this his failure to move his team to the NCAA is a legitimate concern. The NCAA tournament is the same, one and done. I would rather reward a coach who has won a game in that tournament with this job than one who has failed to win one in the tournament. There were other teams who had the same restrictions and were able to move on. He wasn't alone. I mean....isn't that the main gripe everyone had with Heath....he didn't win a 1st round game in the NCAA tournament? So why go get a guy who hasn't won one either. Could of...would of.....should of..... Listen, the faster we get away from style points and start looking at the final score, the better off we will be. It's not how you win at the end of the day..it's did you win. There were 32 coaches who won a game in the tournament. I would have been happy with one of them. I don't think that's much to ask for. Can we progress instead of regress. I'm trying to be positive....I really am. Please don't pull me back in.

Your logic makes me laugh. So if coach hasn't won a game in the NCAA Tourney, that must mean he'll never be good enough to do so in the future.

Know these numbers: 35 wins and 20 losses, no NCAA Tourney games, no NIT games, no nada.

Yet somehow the Florida brass knew they had a winner in Billy Donovan. he even had horrid years his first two seasons, but you don't want to hear about that either. With you it's either win from day 1 or you suck.

Stan Heath had superior talent and couldn't win. His offense was statisticlly one of the worst in the SEC. Yet you won't mention the difference in talent compared to South Alabama.

You keep crying about Pelphrey and not getting a coach with at least one win in the tourney. Guess what? We didn't get one of those guys. Sorry. To bad. Life goes on.

I'm sure Florida is glad they rolled the dice and took a loser like Donovan instead of hanging on to NCAA tourney game winner Lon Kruger. Great logic behind that one.

But you don't want to cross that bridge now do you.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Held Hawgstage

May 23, 2007, 12:15:47 pm #51 Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:38:42 pm by Held Hawgstage
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 23, 2007, 11:53:42 am
Your logic makes me laugh. So if coach hasn't won a game in the NCAA Tourney, that must mean he'll never be good enough to do so in the future.
Know these numbers: 35 wins and 20 losses, no NCAA Tourney games, no NIT games, no nada.
Yet somehow the Florida brass knew they had a winner in Billy Donovan. he even had horrid years his first two seasons, but you don't want to hear about that either. With you it's either win from day 1 or you suck.
Stan Heath had superior talent and couldn't win. His offense was statisticlly one of the worst in the SEC. Yet you won't mention the difference in talent compared to South Alabama.
You keep crying about Pelphrey and not getting a coach with at least one win in the tourney. Guess what? We didn't get one of those guys. Sorry. To bad. Life goes on.
I'm sure Florida is glad they rolled the dice and took a loser like Donovan instead of hanging on to NCAA tourney game winner Lon Kruger. Great logic behind that one.

Ok. You did it. I tried to make the rest of you clowns happy.. and try to go along with the program. But now you have riled me back up.

Florida had absolutely NO BASKETBALL TRADITION when Donovan was hired. ABSOLUTELY NONE! When your program hasn't won anything, feel free to pull the trigger on an 8th grade girls bball coach like I've been called. No problems. Roll the dice. But when you BLAST a coach and give him the hook because WE have BASKETBALL TRADITION and we have banners to prove so....the answer is NO you don't go get an unproven and hope he brings you back. You were already moving toward that goal with an unproven. When you say he's not working lets get someone who can take you to the next level, wouldn't you want someone with a PROVEN record of doing so? Failing to do so, goes against your argument. Now I have given you some rope. Feel free to wear it like a necktie and jump over the bridge.

Wait a minute....retraction time. Heath wasn't an unproven.....he did make it to the Elite 8. My apologies Stan....you're still our man. 

cosmodrum

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 04:40:44 pm
Hey Todd, how are the first 40 days of your marriage?

Well Wesley, my wife was more overweight than I thought, that wedding dress was deceptive. She needs to push away the desert menu when we dine out at Applebees. She's not that bright when it comes to cooking. She always burns the pork chops and you would have thought her mother would have taught her better. Unfortunately, her mother was too nice and did not demand she learn to cook the pork chops the way I like them. But come next week I'm going to make sure she cooks them right. She isn't the most talented woman I've been around and that's something she needs to work on. She needs to be more selfless around the house, pick up my beer bottles and such. Other than that.....this will be a great year of marriage.

And the award for the dumbest thing I've seen on Hogville in a while goes to...
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 23, 2007, 12:15:47 pm

Ok. You did it. I tried to make the rest of you clowns happy.. and try to go along with the program. But now you have riled me back up.

Florida had absolutely NO BASKETBALL TRADITION when Donovan was hired. ABSOLUTELY NONE! When your program hasn't won anything, feel free to pull the trigger on an 8th grade girls bball coach like I've been called. No problems. Roll the dice. But when you BLAST a coach and give him the hook because WE have BASKETBALL TRADITION and we have banners to prove so....the answer is NO you don't go get an unproven and hope he brings you back. You were already moving toward that goal with an unproven. When you say he's not working lets get someone who can take you to the next level, wouldn't you want someone with a PROVEN record of doing so? Failing to do so, goes against your argument. Now I have given you some rope. Feel free to wear it like a necktie and jump over the bridge.

Wait a minute....retraction time. Heath wasn't an unproven.....he did make it to the Elite 8. My apologies Stan....you're still our man. 

Oh, so did we pass on a "proven" coach? I thought the "proven" coaches passed on us.
Go away, batin'

HulkHoggin

Do you understand motivation?? ask anybody who has been in the Marine Corp, Army etc. if breaking somebody down is a necessity...Or are you the guy that failed basic training after the first week.  Dude "get a spine!" >:(

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HulkHoggin on May 23, 2007, 01:24:49 pm
Do you understand motivation?? ask anybody who has been in the Marine Corp, Army etc. if breaking somebody down is a necessity...Or are you the guy that failed basic training after the first week.  Dude "get a spine!" >:(

Held Hawgstage is a flamer from the Rivals board named Hamible Lector. He isn't happy unless he's arguing with someone. He gets pleasure by being the village idiot.  He bashes Hogville every chance he gets on the Rivals board. He likes to create multiple handles and create coversations with himself as a means to have someone actually agree with him.

My advice would be to treat him as you would any annoying 10 year old kid; by ignoring him.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

OzarkHighs

Held Hawgstage welcome to my ignore group.

Goodbye...

little pigee

Held Hawgstage
Bench Warmer

[applaud] / [smite]

Help Me, Help Me, Somebody Help Me!

Pelphrey's motivation is through degradation?
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:41:44 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This user is currently ignored

That was easy!  Thanks.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

wholehog92

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 23, 2007, 02:15:55 pm

Held Hawgstage is a flamer from the Rivals board named Hamible Lector. He isn't happy unless he's arguing with someone. He gets pleasure by being the village idiot.  He bashes Hogville every chance he gets on the Rivals board. He likes to create multiple handles and create coversations with himself as a means to have someone actually agree with him.

My advice would be to treat him as you would any annoying 10 year old kid; by ignoring him.

Ahh it makes sense now.  Person number two on my ignore list.  How does it feel to be number two like your boy Heath in the SEC tourney?
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

yocdaddy

If a college player cannot handle public criticism about his sorry work ethic, then maybe he shouldn't be a college player.  It's good to me.  Maybe Heath should have jerked a knot in their arses every once in a while.  This guy is on task, he is doing a great job.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

V

glad he is a quick study. We lost several games last year in th last 2-3 minutes by being too fatigued. I didn't hear one bad thing, unless you mean the part about Townsend which he really didn't say anything bad. Good interview...thanks

RedSatinHog

May 23, 2007, 10:04:33 pm #61 Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:07:56 pm by AKHogsHoopsFan
Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 23, 2007, 12:15:47 pm

In a mere 178 posts, you have somehow managed to be smitten 313 times.  WOW!!!  How on earth did you pull that one off?
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

mbgrulz

Quote from: OzarkHighs on May 23, 2007, 02:27:35 pm
Held Hawgstage welcome to my ignore group.

Goodbye...
+1
EVERYONE IGNORE HH...wait, that would be like taking off the easiest team on the schedule. HH is so easy to beat up on...i may smack him around a little while longer untill i get bored.

slopinhogs

don't try to short change John, he is a leader and a tough one . if they can't handle that then so be it.

if he coches half a good as he played we are in for a treat. i don't believe there will be any tired legs out there this year. Hunter and Townes may get back to work and if they do it will help a bunch. the rest of the guys just need to believe they need to be in shape.

degradation you say. sometimes it helps to lower the little man it helps him to desire to improve himself more. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

jcam61

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 23, 2007, 02:15:55 pm

That's pretty sad actually.  Here's to getting some help for guys who live through message boards.  I bet it really is a serious problem.    :(  :(

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 23, 2007, 11:33:45 am

I think this his failure to move his team to the NCAA is a legitimate concern. The NCAA tournament is the same, one and done. I would rather reward a coach who has won a game in that tournament with this job than one who has failed to win one in the tournament. There were other teams who had the same restrictions and were able to move on. He wasn't alone.

I guess I don't share the same concern about not moving his team to the NCAA last season.  He still won 20+ games.  If he does that in the SEC then he can lose in the first round of the SEC tourney and still be in the NCAA tourney.  If he can't win 20+ games per season then he should get the boot.  Once we're in the tourney he needs to win some games. 

I mean....isn't that the main gripe everyone had with Heath....he didn't win a 1st round game in the NCAA tournament? So why go get a guy who hasn't won one either. Could of...would of.....should of..... Listen, the faster we get away from style points and start looking at the final score, the better off we will be. It's not how you win at the end of the day..it's did you win. There were 32 coaches who won a game in the tournament. I would have been happy with one of them. I don't think that's much to ask for. Can we progress instead of regress. I'm trying to be positive....I really am. Please don't pull me back in.

I can't argue too much there except to say that it's over and done with.  Heath is out and Pelphrey is in.  We have to hope that he will prove himself to be an upgrade.  If not, he'll be gone.

RedSatinHog

QuoteI mean....isn't that the main gripe everyone had with Heath....he didn't win a 1st round game in the NCAA tournament?

Not exactly.  More folks were fed up with having a losing record in the SEC and not being able to win on the road in the SEC, even against inferior opposition.  Stan's teams made a regular habit of it, and we shouldn't have to rely on a run deep into the SECT to make the tourney every year.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Heath was such a good coach we couldn't dribble inside the three point line if someone put a zone on us.

slopinhogs

let me see now . if you had a group of BB players going through a scrimmage pukeing up their guts . not just one but all of them what would you say? i think they are out of shape too ,and maybe the worst in shape team i ever saw. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

slopinhogs

dicipline is an effective form of leadership.  degradation is part of that. :razorback:

boarhog12

A good coach will set the bar and expect his team to reach it. A great coach will set the bar and push his team to exceed even this. A coach has to find out what buttons to push, if its hugs or a kick in the a$$. If it is a kick in the a$$ you can't start with hugs, but if its hugs they need first kick their a$$es then hug'em

RedSatinHog

Quote from: boarhog12 on May 27, 2007, 10:11:00 pm
A good coach will set the bar and expect his team to reach it. A great coach will set the bar and push his team to exceed even this. A coach has to find out what buttons to push, if its hugs or a kick in the a$$. If it is a kick in the a$$ you can't start with hugs, but if its hugs they need first kick their a$$es then hug'em

And THAT explains how Bobby Knight got the most from his players over the years, the overwhelming majority of whom were blue collar players.

boarhog12

I personally want to see a player NOT want to come out of the game and face the coach on the bench. If we can get a B Knight without all the baggage I for one am for it. I don't think a player should fear the coach without respect but sometimes fear of failure is part of respect

hawaiianhogster

I've seen his interviews and think the opposite of this poster. You must be a drug addict and want nothing more than to appease Stans firing. No maybe you really are prejudice against the white folk? What are your intentions? Start dividing the fan base in Basketball? Make something out of nothing? Well you got me believing you are short a few marbles.

PigWig

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 06:25:45 pm
Guys....hey guys...anyone there.  I've changed. How could I be so blind that I didn't see that those exciting wins over ULR and North Texas were huge. Guys..am I still welcomed in the PeeWee playhouse?
I just want to congratulate you. I am a very tolerant and laid back person and you will be the first person since joining this site that I have ever ignored. Congratulations!

stan the man

One thing for sure is, we will find out is how good of a coach Pelphry is and it won't take very long with the experience we have coming back.  Let's hold judgement until that happens.  One problem we had in trying to hire a coach was Broyles set his sights too high and when those untouchable coaches turned him down then any proven coach would not have wanted to be second, third or fourth fiddle, therefore we had to hire another up and comer. Perhaps if we had not set our sites so high we could have had a proven coach.  If he doesn't work out then we don't need to wait  five or six years to get rid of him.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: stan the man on May 30, 2007, 01:42:53 pm
One thing for sure is, we will find out is how good of a coach Pelphry is and it won't take very long with the experience we have coming back.  Let's hold judgement until that happens.  One problem we had in trying to hire a coach was Broyles set his sights too high and when those untouchable coaches turned him down then any proven coach would not have wanted to be second, third or fourth fiddle, therefore we had to hire another up and comer. Perhaps if we had not set our sites so high we could have had a proven coach.  If he doesn't work out then we don't need to wait  five or six years to get rid of him.

Perhaps if we had hired the search firm in the first place instead of letting Broyles handle the situation we would've gotten one of those coaches you speak of.  Instead we got Dana Altman and a load of controversy.  Finally the firm brought us Pelphrey after we had gotten egg on our face thanks to Broyles.

razorbear

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 03:41:44 pm
I know Pelphrey will find it hard to inspire this team due to his lack of success at this level. After all, Pelphrey’s last taste of success was spoiled by Stan Heath and Michigan State. His attacks on their conditioning, missing something 6 inches between the ears, and saying some of them are not the most talented players he’s been around, will cause him to lose some of his SENIOR players before it causes them to want to fight for him. He should understand he’s not dealing with a freshman class here. This method may not have the effect he thinks it will. Latest rumblings, some are not as impressed as many are trying to lead you to believe. But I’m just a guy who absolutely has no idea what I’m talking about. Or do I?  

Sounds like sour grapes of some kind and if the players can't hang and step up to the challenge then maybe those should look in the mirror and see if they are in need of glasses as they haven't proved anything yet either.
Brutha, you got to get real!

RedSatinHog

The ESPN article today had it right when they said the Kentucky opening added a whole new dynamic to the hiring process.  Perhaps the PTB in Fayetteville should have considered all the rumors that Tubby Smith was out at Kentucky BEFORE the firing of Heath.

Let's face it fellas--We handled Heath's firing the wrong way.  The reasons we did it were on target, but we should have never said anything other than something to the effect of his performance would be re-evaluated at the end of the year.  Once it (his firing) happened, we should have steered totally clear of all Izzo's former proteges (Tom Creen).  There was no way any one of them would come to Fayetteville after seeing what happened to Heath. 

By hiring Gillispie, we would have only set ourselves up to do another coaching search in 2-3 years because he would have left when a bigger job opened.  I really believe he'll take an NBA job with the Mavs, Rockets or Spurs within 5 years.  Maybe he'll win a national title, maybe he won't.  The only thing he demonstrated by going to Lexington is that he has a HUGE ego.

Calipari wasn't leaving Memphis.  The talent base there is too great, and he has no real competition within his own conference every year.  Maybe he would have succeeded at Arkansas, maybe not.  He's never had success anywhere outside what amounts to a mid-major school, though.

Sutton could have been a good re-hire.  The only problem is that we would have to hire one of his sons after he retired for good.  If it were Scott, that would have probably worked out well.  Sean is proving to be a bust, though.

Dana Altman was as boring as the day was long.  Listening to him talk was like trying to listen to the grass grow in the front yard.  We dodged a bullet when he got back onto a plane headed for Omaha.

Lets get behind Coach Pelphrey.  He deserves all the support we can give him.

justonefan

Dana Altman was as boring as the day was long.  Listening to him talk was like trying to listen to the grass grow in the front yard.  We dodged a bullet when he got back onto a plane headed for Omaha.

Amen, brutha