Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I am curious about the two new signers.

Started by pigsknuckle, May 16, 2007, 02:23:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigsknuckle

from Springdale and I need help from those that follow high school basketball.  Two players are now D1, high level recruits to Arkansas, which is traditionally a top 25 program or better year in and year out.  Over time, it seems to me that a team with a player that is a recruitable athletic to a program like Arkansas would dominate the other high school teams in their state.  Now it seems we have two from Springdale from the same team and if I recall the Springdale team did not win the state championship.  Something does not compute, help me out.  I am not trying to be critical of the players or the team, just curious if there was a major upset or what happened.  It seems odd to me.

Hogtropolis™

I know that Har-Ber won the regular season 7A West, but then FS Northside (another member of the 7A West) upset them in the State Championship game.

chiefsfan

Forrest city and Marcus Britt didnt win the 6A state title either...Lost to Jonesboro in the championship game, thats basketball
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

tolerati

Well at least they both were in the championship games for their respective leagues. So thats not too bad.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Smithian

Northside had a ton of athletes to put against Har-Ber. Har-Ber really didn't have more than Sanchez and Rakestraw while Northside had Paul Henry, Kodi Burns, Matt Jones, and a couple pretty good other players.

Hawgfan23

Its very hard for a team to beat another 3 times during the season.  So you know by the 3rd game that the losing team will be prepared. 
National Championship, 6 Final Fours, 9 Elite Eights, 14 Sweet Sixteen Appearances, 27 NCAA Bids, 93 First Team All-Conferences Selections -- 31 Conference Titles.

Tradition Speaks for Itself.

mbgrulz

i think the theory of having 4 or 5 good players instead of 1 or 2 go to guys won out in this one.
the good news is that rakestraw put up 30 on guys like kodi burns, who if basketball players only played on one side of the ball, he'd be a 5 star defensive prospect.

The Boar War

Playing in the state championship seems pretty decent to me.

jhudson84

Quote from: Smithian on May 16, 2007, 07:49:06 pm
Northside had a ton of athletes to put against Har-Ber. Har-Ber really didn't have more than Sanchez and Rakestraw while Northside had Paul Henry, Kodi Burns, Matt Jones, and a couple pretty good other players.

Quote from: Hawgfan23 on May 16, 2007, 08:29:09 pm
Its very hard for a team to beat another 3 times during the season.  So you know by the 3rd game that the losing team will be prepared. 

Theres your two answers.

ColumbianHog

So, if neither of these teams (springdale har-ber or Forrest City) won the state championship, where do we stand with players on the championship teams?  Do they have as much talent or were they just a better "team"?

ledhead830

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 17, 2007, 12:25:30 pm
So, if neither of these teams (springdale har-ber or Forrest City) won the state championship, where do we stand with players on the championship teams?  Do they have as much talent or were they just a better "team"?

Jonesboro had several (and I do mean SEVERAL) good players, but no real stars. The best player is going JUCO (UAFS) because of grades. One is going to ASU, a couple are going to other JUCOs and a junior is committed to ASU.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

jhudson84

And a sophomore Jonah Calamese will be highly recruited.

ledhead830

Quote from: jhudson84 on May 17, 2007, 02:39:22 pm
And a sophomore Jonah Calamese will be highly recruited.

He either needs to bulk up and become more physical or develop a better shot before he becomes a big-time recruit. (the 6-7 frame is nice though)
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,

coach, my back hurts

I think this is good post and a legit concern.  One would think that you would want a player that can completely control the outcome of a game in HS.  JoeJohnson did that and Brewer's team was really good.  IMO, the HarBer team should have been better.  Of course the 2 recruits are 3* and not 5* like Johnson and Brewer probably were. 

Overall, i think we got 3 outstanding players.  Good class.  I dont care what they did in HS.  I'm sure Pel doesnt care either.  Whats important is getting these players reading.  Hopefully all 3 will contribute.

Does Sanchez redshirt?  Will be tough to play over 4-5 upperclass big men.  Hill, Hunter, Townes, Thomas.  Washington, but he is a Soph.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on May 18, 2007, 01:07:49 pm
I think this is good post and a legit concern.  One would think that you would want a player that can completely control the outcome of a game in HS.  JoeJohnson did that and Brewer's team was really good.  IMO, the HarBer team should have been better.  Of course the 2 recruits are 3* and not 5* like Johnson and Brewer probably were. 

Overall, i think we got 3 outstanding players.  Good class.  I dont care what they did in HS.  I'm sure Pel doesnt care either.  Whats important is getting these players reading.  Hopefully all 3 will contribute.

Does Sanchez redshirt?  Will be tough to play over 4-5 upperclass big men.  Hill, Hunter, Townes, Thomas.  Washington, but he is a Soph.

If I were coaching I would seriously consider redshirting him.  It makes sense.

Held Hawgstage

Who are these two? They are not commitments. It's actually these three:

Mobolaji Ajayi PF   6-9 225 -   Palm Beach, FL
Orane Chin SF  6-7 205 - Miami, FL 3 Stars
Dominique Jones SG  6-4 175 - Lake Wales, FL 3 Stars

Ooops....I'm sorry.....wrong board.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 18, 2007, 02:30:09 pm
Who are these two? They are not commitments. It's actually these three:

Mobolaji Ajayi PF   6-9 225 -   Palm Beach, FL
Orane Chin SF  6-7 205 - Miami, FL 3 Stars
Dominique Jones SG  6-4 175 - Lake Wales, FL 3 Stars

Ooops....I'm sorry.....wrong board.

Alright!  More fodder!

Ha ha...I'm guessing these are USF commitments? 

The thing is...those guys weren't on Coach Heath's radar while he was at Arkansas so I'm not sure it's a good comparison.

You move to another school and the whole recruiting base changes.

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 18, 2007, 02:38:47 pm

He'll adjust and adapt. He will do great with the in state and out of state recruits. Facilities need to get better but he's in a basketball conference, ESPN, great location, lot's of entertainment, he'll do just fine in the recruiting department.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 18, 2007, 03:57:39 pm

He'll adjust and adapt. He will do great with the in state and out of state recruits. Facilities need to get better but he's in a basketball conference, ESPN, great location, lot's of entertainment, he'll do just fine in the recruiting department.

I have no doubt that you're correct. 

I thought you were trying to compare his recruits to our two new signees. 

jcam61

I'm pretty sure noone ever argued with his recruiting.  It was how he used that talent that I always questioned.

slopinhogs

i don't think that Heath ever felt he had the right combination on the floor until this year ,and he had a great class lined up but ,but,but ,err ,uh ,you know what i mean. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hogsmaster

Matt still eligible at Northside??  LOL

mbgrulz

Quote from: jcam61 on May 18, 2007, 09:46:58 pm

I'm pretty sure noone ever argued with his recruiting.  It was how he used that talent that I always questioned.
yep. he brought in a pretty good amount of athletes, but nobody will ever say that stan got the most out of what he had. he was mediocre at best as a basketball coach.

Smithian

Quote from: hogsmaster on May 20, 2007, 12:21:23 am

Just incase you're not joking...

There was a pretty good football and BBall player this year also named Matt Jones at NHS.

wholehog92

Quote from: Smithian on May 20, 2007, 03:34:17 pm
Quote from: hogsmaster on May 20, 2007, 12:21:23 am

Just incase you're not joking...

There was a pretty good football and BBall player this year also named Matt Jones at NHS.
Well it worked once,l why not try it again right!
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

stan the man

Another example is in football with Kodi Burns at Northside.  He was never vey impressive in the games that I followed and look where he ended up at.  We sometimes never can what  an athlete is capable of until he gets to college under usually better coaching.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: stan the man on May 30, 2007, 01:53:32 pm
Another example is in football with Kodi Burns at Northside.  He was never vey impressive in the games that I followed and look where he ended up at.  We sometimes never can what  an athlete is capable of until he gets to college under usually better coaching.

We still don't know what Kodi Burns is capable of at the college level.  We may not know until 2008 or later.