Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why is there hardly any basketball information out there?

Started by Cresthog, March 24, 2015, 11:31:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 25, 2015, 11:45:27 pm
Also left to wonder if not Portis or Qualls, could we see a transfer/someone leave the program. There's been speculation about Miles leaving for a school that could offer more playing time as a grad transfer, but with the crowded backcourt, could it also be Durham going to a smaller school, or Babb wanting to find somewhere with a clearer path to playing time?

I'd have to think regardless of who left, be it Portis, Qualls, or Miles, even a guard transferring, we'd target taller wings or bigs, as back court depth is solid.

I think the Miles rumor has mostly just been fans, I haven't heard any of the recruiting guys mention anything about him about to graduate or interest in a transfer, though I do see the logic in it, and wouldn't surprise me if he did transfer, seems like it would make sense for him, especially if Portis returns.

I highly doubt Durham or Babb goes anywhere, especially Babb, CMA brags on him at almost every press conference whether he plays or not.  He's going to be a big part of our future, it wouldn't surprise me if he logged some starts next year or was the first guard off the bench.  And Durham had a "JUCO Year" meaning he took almost the entire year for him to really adjust to the speed of D1, we seen flashes in some games of what he can bring, including the final game against UNC.  My guess would be he will be more consistent next year and continue to be the back-up PG, probably playing anywhere from 10 - 15 MPG.

lefty08

I don't think we can afford to lose Durham. We have 2 pgs on the team, and from what I've seen of whitt he would be much better at the 2
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2015, 09:20:29 pm
Here's some news from today.  Looks like CMA is taking precautions as expected in case Portis leaves.

TJ Kelley @scoopIPS  ·  2h 2 hours ago
HCs from Georgia, Arkansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Pitt, Marquette, Auburn, and coaches from SMU, Umass watched '15 Michael Edwards today

Edwards is a 6'10 PF in the 2015 Class. Not seeing a ranking on any sites, but my guess is that's going to change really soon, just picked up offers from Kansas State, Auburn, Marquette, Pitt, and Nebraska and as you can see a ton of other high majors interested.

He has highlights of all his games on youtube, I just watched a few and they are very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4i4BWm_ATo

I wonder if we are too late recruiting him.

http://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Edwards-72178

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on March 26, 2015, 01:01:06 am
I think the Miles rumor has mostly just been fans, I haven't heard any of the recruiting guys mention anything about him about to graduate or interest in a transfer, though I do see the logic in it, and wouldn't surprise me if he did transfer, seems like it would make sense for him, especially if Portis returns.

Yeah, I think I pretty much started the Miles transferring thing, at least on this board. Just makes too much sense for all involved. But I've seen anything rumored that actually indicates that will happen.

Cresthog

Any family connections on the horizon?

Gotta be some nephews or offspring beasts out there? Wasn't Carroll the last major brethren score by our staff while at Mizzou?

Hawg Red

Quote from: Cresthog on March 26, 2015, 09:32:19 am
Any family connections on the horizon?

Gotta be some nephews or offspring beasts out there? Wasn't Carroll the last major brethren score by our staff while at Mizzou?

I'd count the Pressey boys. Not blood but practically family.

southarkhog06

could we change the name of this thread and sticky it seems like that would prevent it from getting buried.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2015, 08:32:49 am
I wonder if we are too late recruiting him.

http://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Edwards-72178

Don't know... Looks like everybody is late to the party on him, look how many high major offers he's picked up this month.  He seems to be the definition of a late bloomer, somebody is going to get a real steal with him.  I don't know if recruiting sites have done their final evals or not for the 2015 class, but there's no way this guy isn't at the least top 100 talent. 

Hawg Red

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 26, 2015, 10:33:06 am
I'm worried that we're looking at 2015 forwards.

was thinking the same thing. If Portis leaves, this guy should definitely be interested. Seems to have the type of game where he could fill Portis' role on this team.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 26, 2015, 11:15:13 am
was thinking the same thing. If Portis leaves, this guy should definitely be interested. Seems to have the type of game where he could fill Portis' role on this team.

I mean, it could go one of two ways. We could be looking at forward because Portis and/or Qualls is leaving, or because there will be a transfer (there's a couple of guys that could transfer out for more PT).

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 26, 2015, 12:05:36 pm
I mean, it could go one of two ways. We could be looking at forward because Portis and/or Qualls is leaving, or because there will be a transfer (there's a couple of guys that could transfer out for more PT).

I would assume it's just a pre-caution, you never stop recruiting.  We'd probably be a long shot with this guy anyways.  Now, if you start seeing multiple names pop up within a few days time, then that's the time to get concerned.  But, just hearing about 1 guy, that's a late bloomer that seems to be blowing up, that's not that big of a deal, probably more of a curiosity visit than anything.  I know if I was a coach and heard about this guy, and I gotta go recruit anyways, I'd go check him out to see what the fuss is about and try to start a relationship just in case.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: -Blu on March 26, 2015, 01:01:06 am

I highly doubt Durham or Babb goes anywhere, especially Babb, CMA brags on him at almost every press conference whether he plays or not.  He's going to be a big part of our future, it wouldn't surprise me if he logged some starts next year or was the first guard off the bench.  And Durham had a "JUCO Year" meaning he took almost the entire year for him to really adjust to the speed of D1, we seen flashes in some games of what he can bring, including the final game against UNC.  My guess would be he will be more consistent next year and continue to be the back-up PG, probably playing anywhere from 10 - 15 MPG.

Glad to see you mention the "JUCO year" as I tried my best before the season to caution expecting much out of Durham. It's been proven time and time and time again that JUCO players while expected to be this immediate boost, take a season to adjust, then typically take a big step forward in year two. There are always exceptions but it's gotta be close 90% of JUCO players that go on to major programs who take a step back before taking two forward in their second season. Durham had the typical first year, where he seemed to struggle with confidence and turnovers. I actually believe he could play an important role for us next season as the primary ball handler off the bench.

Back to the point, for that reason, I've never been a big fan of relying on the JUCO ranks as a consistent part of a programs recruiting. In our case during CMA's tenure, JUCO and transfers were a must to balance out years of unbalanced classes, horrible attrition and turnover, and just generally poor roster management.

I don't thing relying on JUCO players to replace guys that leave early will ever be a good option and would much rather see the staff take a project player like Qualls and Kingsley were, because at least then in a year or two as they get things figured out, they've still got another year or two where you reap the rewards of hard work and patience.

My opinion on why the "JUCO year" exists is the competition level. With high school players, sure they may not be playing the best competition during the regular season, but pretty much any kid we are signing is going to have played AAU against the best in the country. JUCO teams will always have that group of players who are only there because of grades and could have easily contributed early at the college level, but the majority are kids who will never go on to play basketball as a career, and there are plenty who were just slightly above average high school players. For that reason, I rank AAU basketball pretty significantly higher than JUCO. I've watched a number of JUCO games and they can be downright brutal at times. Your D1 talent sticks out like a sore thumb when watching those games but even they tend to look lazy, as the games are just incredibly lax, almost looking like rec leagues at times.

If you aren't pulling a legit top 20 JUCO kid, might as well go with a high schooler.

As for Miles, I completely agree, this seems to more fan speculation than anything, but certainly has merit and would make sense. I really hope Babb stays as well. Really believe he could have a nice season next year, then break out as a JR/SR. 

The_Iceman

Coach A: Bobby and Michael have a bond together. The season ended bitterly for them.

Coach A: We are still recruiting just in case.

Cresthog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2015, 11:15:42 am
Coach A: Bobby and Michael have a bond together. The season ended bitterly for them.

Coach A: We are still recruiting just in case.

Is that real?

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on March 26, 2015, 01:42:18 pm
I would assume it's just a pre-caution, you never stop recruiting.  We'd probably be a long shot with this guy anyways.  Now, if you start seeing multiple names pop up within a few days time, then that's the time to get concerned.  But, just hearing about 1 guy, that's a late bloomer that seems to be blowing up, that's not that big of a deal, probably more of a curiosity visit than anything.  I know if I was a coach and heard about this guy, and I gotta go recruit anyways, I'd go check him out to see what the fuss is about and try to start a relationship just in case.

JenksHawg

Quote from: JackJohnson on March 24, 2015, 02:48:24 pm
I think it would be of best benefit to all involved if miles were to be able to take advantage of the graduate transfer rule and we bring in Frazier.

Keeping MQ and BP and replacing Madden, Harris and Miles with Whitt, Kapita, Hannahs and Frazier would make next years team a front runner for the Final 4...

I would say front runner for Final 4 would be pushing it  - we were a fringe Top 20 team this year, that made it to the round of 32 - we forget there are a lot of really good teams that aren't "front runners for the Final 4" (Arizona?) - it's a much bigger leap than we're remembering.   

Thepigdoctor

While listening to CMA's season recap, another thing popped up in my mind, the coaches could also be recruiting a plan B if for some reason Kapita didn't sign. Now I've heard nothing to suggest he won't sign, but until he does, the staff will need to have a backup plan in place. Just another reason we may see some more names pop up.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: JenksHawg on March 27, 2015, 05:08:54 pm
I would say front runner for Final 4 would be pushing it  - we were a fringe Top 20 team this year, that made it to the round of 32 - we forget there are a lot of really good teams that aren't "front runners for the Final 4" (Arizona?) - it's a much bigger leap than we're remembering.   
[/quot

We should strive for the Sweet Sixteen every year. Once you get there anything can happen to reach the Final Four.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 27, 2015, 11:04:44 pm
While listening to CMA's season recap, another thing popped up in my mind, the coaches could also be recruiting a plan B if for some reason Kapita didn't sign. Now I've heard nothing to suggest he won't sign, but until he does, the staff will need to have a backup plan in place. Just another reason we may see some more names pop up.

He & his coach have said he will be enrolled and on campus in  July.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

870hogfan

"@DannyWest1: New #WPS hoops offer being reported for 2015: RT @AdamZagoria: Auburn & Arkansas are the latest to offer 6-10 @KyleJamal4 of @AI_OvillePrep"

Wonder if this has anything to do with Portis?

Hawg Red

Always possible that they could be looking to replace a transfer, but it's hard not to feel like P or Q is leaving when we're handing out actual offers. If we're handing offers, that is. Can't always trust a reported offer.

Swinesong1

Quote from: 870hogfan on March 28, 2015, 10:13:20 am
"@DannyWest1: New #WPS hoops offer being reported for 2015: RT @AdamZagoria: Auburn & Arkansas are the latest to offer 6-10 @KyleJamal4 of @AI_OvillePrep"

Jamal Murray is a SG/SF class of 2016 player who MAY reclassify to 2015.  A Canadian.  Highly ranked.  Would think this has more to do with Qualls than Portis .

klp1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 28, 2015, 10:36:55 am
Jamal Murray is a SG/SF class of 2016 player who MAY reclassify to 2015.  A Canadian.  Highly ranked.  Would think this has more to do with Qualls than Portis .

its Kyle Alexander 6-10 F/C

passinghog

Kyle Alexander would be a perfect fit for our system. Not to mention he's only been playing for 3 years. 6-10 with a 7-4 wingspan. He's already officially visited Pitt and Duke has made some calls on him. I don't think Duke will offer, but I'd prefer this kid if we signed another big in addition to Kapita.

MGB1229

Quote from: 870hogfan on March 28, 2015, 10:13:20 am

I think he should sign and bring Thon and Matur Maker with him

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 28, 2015, 06:42:59 am
He & his coach have said he will be enrolled and on campus in  July.

That's great to hear, but until pen meets paper, I reserve at least a little of my excitement. That said, it's hard not to be thrilled with what Kapita will bring. He's that true missing piece, the 6'9+ (I've seen him listed recently at 6'10), true power forward, who already has a mans body. Coach Anderson went and got himself a man.

Danny J

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 28, 2015, 04:20:42 pm
That's great to hear, but until pen meets paper, I reserve at least a little of my excitement. That said, it's hard not to be thrilled with what Kapita will bring. He's that true missing piece, the 6'9+ (I've seen him listed recently at 6'10), true power forward, who already has a mans body. Coach Anderson went and got himself a man.
Yeah...he looks like he has been in a college weight room for 4 years already. Dude has a huge upper body.

JIHawg

We only sign 3 to 5 basketball players each year.  We talk recruiting on the board 24/7, year round.  That would average one bb recruit every 3 or 4 months. 

So, yes, it seems like we don't talk basketball recruiting very much.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 25, 2015, 11:45:27 pm
Also left to wonder if not Portis or Qualls, could we see a transfer/someone leave the program. There's been speculation about Miles leaving for a school that could offer more playing time as a grad transfer, but with the crowded backcourt, could it also be Durham going to a smaller school, or Babb wanting to find somewhere with a clearer path to playing time?

I'd have to think regardless of who left, be it Portis, Qualls, or Miles, even a guard transferring, we'd target taller wings or bigs, as back court depth is solid.

Again, even with Babb being one to leave now, I expect that we'll target a 6'7+ wing player like Frazier, or a PF/C.

The '16 class is absolutely loaded with stud guards to match what we'll have/need, to go along with a player like De'Ron Davis PF, should we land him as well.