Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monk

Started by hogsgolfpro, January 17, 2015, 05:22:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on February 22, 2015, 08:33:35 pm
Kenny knew what looked good, everything from our practice set-up, to warm ups, to uniforms. Unfortunately, the talent lacked.

There's only so much you can do.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

#1 STUNNA

Monk is crazy athletic and explosive.... He would have a chance at beating Lavine in the NBA dunk contest last week..

Wooderson

Isn't Malik ranked in the 30-50 range?  Corliss was top 3 in his class. Is this correct? 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

donk

Quote from: Wooderson on February 22, 2015, 10:03:21 pm
Isn't Malik ranked in the 30-50 range?  Corliss was top 3 in his class. Is this correct? 

He's ranked between 1 and 5 depending on the service.

HOGINTENNESSEE

No he is top 5

clutch

Where did you get that? He's been top 5 for quite a while.

Cresthog

Who is ranked ahead of him is what I want to know.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Cresthog on February 23, 2015, 08:43:09 am
Who is ranked ahead of him is what I want to know.

These 4 are ahead on him on 247 Sports.

PF Harry Giles
SG Josh Jackson
SF Jayson Tatum
PG Dennis Smith

0.0023 points separate Monk from Giles by their scoring system.

Those same 4 are ahead on him on Rivals, too. Malik is #4 on Scout, ahead of Smith. His lowest ranking by a major service is on ESPN, where he's #6. He's behind those same 4 plus Kobi Simmons (PG). The top three have a 97 rating, while the next two and Malik have a 96 rating.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 23, 2015, 08:50:31 am

PF Harry Giles
SG Josh Jackson
SF Jayson Tatum
PG Dennis Smith

0.0023 points separate Monk from Giles by their scoring system.

If Malik was playing for a NYC school, he would be #1. Just my opinion.

Those same 4 are ahead on him on Rivals, too. Malik is #4 on Scout, ahead of Smith. His lowest ranking by a major service is on ESPN, where he's #6. He's behind those same 4 plus Kobi Simmons (PG). The top three have a 97 rating, while the next two and Malik have a 96 rating.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

wholehog92

I haven't seen the ones ranked ahead of MM play.  I've seen MM play several times.  The only fair criticism of him as a college player is he needs to get stronger to play good defense.

Pretty sure he would get 12-16 ppg average on the Hogs right now.  He wouldn't be any worse on D than Bell right now.  In other words, he would start.  I didn't get to watch Corliss in HS, so I can't comment on that historically.

Someone threw out a comment about NWA considers talent earlier.  Manny Watkins, Kiko, and Gulley would like to jog your memory.  By the way we are bringing in Shittu on an OV and recruiting some kid named Monk both from NWA.  Why would you trash where they live and play and have friends on a hog recruiting board?
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

HogFoo

Quote from: clutch on February 22, 2015, 07:00:32 pm
This is why it's impossible to say who's better at this stage. They are two completely different players. Big Nasty was just too big of a load for anyone at the high school level. He never ran up on anyone who could stop him. Neither has Monk though.

Some of Monks dunks though definitely rule out that he's just a finesse player. He goes up hard and throws down on a lot of poor high school athletes. I don't think the word finesse is fitting. To me, that's the way a lot of guys are descrivbed when their game is soft or they have to rely on the smaller details to outmatch their opponents. Monk can flat out beat anyone straight up. He can dribble around them, shoot in their face, or go over the top of them. He's an unreal talent.

Big Nasty might have been the most dominant of the two, but in my opinion Monk is the better basketball player. Might not make sense to some, but it does in my head. The fact that we can compare Monk as a junior to Corliss's Sr. Year says a lot. The scary part is that Monk just keeps getting better every year. I believe that when it's all said and done he will be seen as the best player to ever come out of this state. He has all the tools to have a very successful college and NBA career. He's definitely a type of talent that doesn't come along very often. I think a lot of people think he's overhyped, but if they see him play they will change their mind. He's unreal.
I agree they are two different games that each has.  But, Monk is a finesse player.  Anyone can throw down monster dunks, that doesn't really mean anything at all.  you say you can't agree with Monk being called a finesse  player, but everything you described of monk is that of a finesse player. haha  Don't get me wrong, id love to have Monk. Think he would be a great player for the Hogs. But, in the comparison of him and Corliss.  Monk isn't anything but a finesse player.  He doesn't move people out of the paint. He doesn't go thru them as Corliss did to score. He didn't move them out of the way with his body to get rebounds.  Monk will either shoot over them or dribble around them.   Nothing wrong with that at all.  Anything to score works.  And that's fine. That's what a finesse player does.  Can always use great shooters and slashers to the rim.  Look forward to him being a Hog if he so chooses.  :razorback:

Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

The_Iceman

He is a composite ranked #6, with 247 actually being the lowest at #14, dragging that ranking down. Which surprises me because usually they are much better.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

ArkansasI

I'm not sure why we risk sounding critical of a player in order to compare their game with another man.  This isn't golf.

Malik and Corliss play the game differently.  Both appear to make the most of their talents.

If we must dare to compare, Malik's game reminds me a bit of Alan Iverson's.  No matter who he reminds us of, Malik is a must get for the Hogs.  A match made in heaven.

COCHISE

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 23, 2015, 08:50:31 am

PF Harry Giles
SG Josh Jackson
SF Jayson Tatum
PG Dennis Smith

Any chance that MA connections in Mizzou help us out with Tatum like they did with Whitt? Doesnt' look like we've offered him yet.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/basketball/recruiting/player-Jayson-Tatum-142375;_ylt=AuFSXSaAFWPku0pVrzguglf2q5B4

Cresthog

Quote from: COCHISE on February 23, 2015, 10:11:36 am
Any chance that MA connections in Mizzou help us out with Tatum like they did with Whitt? Doesnt' look like we've offered him yet.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/basketball/recruiting/player-Jayson-Tatum-142375;_ylt=AuFSXSaAFWPku0pVrzguglf2q5B4

He goes to Chaminade and pretty sure he plays on David Lee's AAU team.

Florida Lock.

Hawg Red

Well, if we haven't offered him yet, I'd say it's unlikely we're given any consideration.

MGB1229

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 23, 2015, 10:03:35 am
I'm not sure why we risk sounding critical of a player in order to compare their game with another man.  This isn't golf.

Malik and Corliss play the game differently.  Both appear to make the most of their talents.

If we must dare to compare, Malik's game reminds me a bit of Alan Iverson's.  No matter who he reminds us of, Malik is a must get for the Hogs.  A match made in heaven.

His game reminds me of Russell Westbrooks.  I am not talking about his talent level right now, but style wise I could see his game moving in that direction. He seems to have good court vision, freakishly athletic and is a dynamic scorer. 

ArkansasI

Quote from: MGB1229 on February 23, 2015, 10:53:49 am
His game reminds me of Russell Westbrooks.  I am not talking about his talent level right now, but style wise I could see his game moving in that direction. He seems to have good court vision, freakishly athletic and is a dynamic scorer. 
I'll take that... :)

Whatever his game resembles, I don't want Razorback fans or Malik to rationalize any reason for him to play college basketball elsewhere.

GO HOGS!

Darren DeLoach

Tatum is an all business type when it comes to his recruitment. I have seen him play various times, and he is very good. All homerisms aside, I do think Monk is the better player. Tatum has an amazing skillset. He has grown 2 inches over the summer, and if he jumps any more, he could become a player in the Durant mode. But right now, I take Monk.

Oh, he has been a heavy Kentucky lean until late. Duke is making a hard push, and may grab him.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Cresthog

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 23, 2015, 01:13:45 pm
Tatum is an all business type when it comes to his recruitment. I have seen him play various times, and he is very good. All homerisms aside, I do think Monk is the better player. Tatum has an amazing skillset. He has grown 2 inches over the summer, and if he jumps any more, he could become a player in the Durant mode. But right now, I take Monk.

Oh, he has been a heavy Kentucky lean until late. Duke is making a hard push, and may grab him.

Weird, everyone in STL says he's going to Florida but looks like he's not even interested?

Same high school as David Lee and Brad Beal.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on February 17, 2015, 01:18:41 pm
which one?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153201592439218

Horsesrus

Quote from: Cresthog on February 23, 2015, 01:21:09 pm
Weird, everyone in STL says he's going to Florida but looks like he's not even interested?

Same high school as David Lee and Brad Beal.

Difference being Kelvin Lee was the coach of David Lee and Beal and he is no longer at Chaminade.  Read into Florida getting two great players from Chaminade while Kelvin Lee was coach with a curious eye if you're into conspiracy theories.

Cresthog

Quote from: Horsesrus on February 24, 2015, 01:26:13 pm
Difference being Kelvin Lee was the coach of David Lee and Beal and he is no longer at Chaminade.  Read into Florida getting two great players from Chaminade while Kelvin Lee was coach with a curious eye if you're into conspiracy theories.

Gotcha. I'm living here, that's just what I had heard. Hadn't heard anything about the coaching stuff.

MountieDawg

Monk is the #1 rated shooting guard and its not often that you find shooting guards that can jump out of the gym with that much athletic ability.
SEC!

20gauge

Quote from: wholehog92 on February 23, 2015, 09:16:52 am
I haven't seen the ones ranked ahead of MM play.  I've seen MM play several times.  The only fair criticism of him as a college player is he needs to get stronger to play good defense.

Pretty sure he would get 12-16 ppg average on the Hogs right now.  He wouldn't be any worse on D than Bell right now.  In other words, he would start.  I didn't get to watch Corliss in HS, so I can't comment on that historically.

Someone threw out a comment about NWA considers talent earlier.  Manny Watkins, Kiko, and Gulley would like to jog your memory.  By the way we are bringing in Shittu on an OV and recruiting some kid named Monk both from NWA.  Why would you trash where they live and play and have friends on a hog recruiting board?
Monk is not from NWA. He plays ball there, but he is from NEA

usf15cc

Quote from: 20gauge on February 25, 2015, 01:23:21 pm
Doesn't really matter where he is playing only matters where he is going. His brother took him to Bentonville so he could watch over him. I hope he plays for the Hogs, but nothing is guaranteed.

supersaint

EPC FTW
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

wholehog92

To be honest, most of the people in NWA aren't from NWA.  I know that's hard to comprehend when nobody is moving to the area where you live.  It's one of those things that only come with life prospective and experience that's hard to get when you stay in one place your whole life.  Nothing wrong with staying in one place unless you are angry about something you don't understand.  The point is why would Malik Monk be looked at differently than anyone else that has move to NWA?  People sure acted like a female dog yapping about Lee Zimba not loving the hogs and how the NWA people must not be doing something right.  When asked where he was from, people said NWA or Rogers not Georgia where he was born.

Once you've moved away from where you were born, you are no longer from "just that place."  You become a product of the environment you are exposed to.  The experiences you have influence you in a way that would not have happened wherever you left.  I was born in Harrison, moved to Mississippi for a while, lived in Oklahoma for a while, lived in Saudi Arabia for a while, lived in Turkey for a while, lived in Panama for a while, lived in Vegas for a while, and I've blocked tejas completely out of my memory the best I can, and currently reside in NWA.  If I tell someone I'm from Harrison, it is just as big of a lie as if I told them I'm from China.  Someone who is strictly from Harrison will have an entirely different outlook on life.  To say Monk is not from NWA is ridiculous and insulting to the young man.  He's got more experience than strictly EPC.  If he knows you well enough to be honest, when he comes back to EPC for visits, he feels different.  EPC will always be home for MM, but he will pick up a little something from everywhere he goes.  As his NBA career progresses, he will be from a lot of places a lot like me.

The point of my post you replied to was that MM has friends where he is living right now.  He is competing against NWA kids and playing with NWA kids right now.  When people insult NWA they are insulting his friends and the efforts he's putting out to beat the other kids in the area.  That doesn't seem like a bright idea for a Hog fan in my opinion.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

20gauge

Quote from: wholehog92 on February 26, 2015, 08:59:55 am
To be honest, most of the people in NWA aren't from NWA.  I know that's hard to comprehend when nobody is moving to the area where you live.  It's one of those things that only come with life prospective and experience that's hard to get when you stay in one place your whole life.  Nothing wrong with staying in one place unless you are angry about something you don't understand.  The point is why would Malik Monk be looked at differently than anyone else that has move to NWA?  People sure acted like a female dog yapping about Lee Zimba not loving the hogs and how the NWA people must not be doing something right.  When asked where he was from, people said NWA or Rogers not Georgia where he was born.

Once you've moved away from where you were born, you are no longer from "just that place."  You become a product of the environment you are exposed to.  The experiences you have influence you in a way that would not have happened wherever you left.  I was born in Harrison, moved to Mississippi for a while, lived in Oklahoma for a while, lived in Saudi Arabia for a while, lived in Turkey for a while, lived in Panama for a while, lived in Vegas for a while, and I've blocked tejas completely out of my memory the best I can, and currently reside in NWA.  If I tell someone I'm from Harrison, it is just as big of a lie as if I told them I'm from China.  Someone who is strictly from Harrison will have an entirely different outlook on life.  To say Monk is not from NWA is ridiculous and insulting to the young man.  He's got more experience than strictly EPC.  If he knows you well enough to be honest, when he comes back to EPC for visits, he feels different.  EPC will always be home for MM, but he will pick up a little something from everywhere he goes.  As his NBA career progresses, he will be from a lot of places a lot like me.

The point of my post you replied to was that MM has friends where he is living right now.  He is competing against NWA kids and playing with NWA kids right now.  When people insult NWA they are insulting his friends and the efforts he's putting out to beat the other kids in the area.  That doesn't seem like a bright idea for a Hog fan in my opinion.
How is it insulting to say he is from Lepanto Arkansas. You are only from one place with stops along the way. And Im not insulting NWA just stating a fact.

You are the only one being insulting. Ive lived in several places myself.

I also dont look at him any differently, Im friends with the family.

so dont be such  an SA and read to much in to a simple comment. I dont need life lessons.

clutch

Quote from: wholehog92 on February 26, 2015, 08:59:55 am

How is saying he is from a certain place insulting to the people that live in the area he is in now? If people are insulted by that, they need some tougher skin.

wholehog92

Quote from: 20gauge on February 26, 2015, 10:02:56 am
How is it insulting to say he is from Lepanto Arkansas. You are only from one place with stops along the way. And Im not insulting NWA just stating a fact.

You are the only one being insulting. Ive lived in several places myself.

I also dont look at him any differently, Im friends with the family.

so dont be such  an SA and read to much in to a simple comment. I dont need life lessons.

Quote from: clutch on February 26, 2015, 12:54:32 pm
How is saying he is from a certain place insulting to the people that live in the area he is in now? If people are insulted by that, they need some tougher skin.

This is what I was originally quoting.  Context.

Quote from: HogPound on February 21, 2015, 11:35:35 am
Wish we could see him play against some real basketball talent that isn't what NWA Deems as "talent".

If you play in NWA and aren't insulted by that, I'm not sure you are a competitor.  I was avoiding quoting that kind of trash, but the comments are getting diluted at this point.  And the other comment I was referring to was someone saying the young man isn't from Bentonville.  Of course he is.  Tougher skin has nothing to do with it.  People are dismissing who he actually is.  I never said he wasn't also from Lepanto.  He is very much from there too. 

His hometown is Lepanto.  He is from the various places he's lived.  I'm not here to give human relations lectures, so I'm out.  I was previously hoping to make the point that your experiences make up who you are.  People ignoring the existence of those experiences is to ignore a part of what makes up that person.  Carry on without me if you can't see that.

rzrbackramsfan

Did today's game hurt or help?  I think it helped.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on February 28, 2015, 07:25:10 pm
Did today's game hurt or help?  I think it helped.

He's a Hog fan. You could tell by the way he was tweeting he wanted the Hogs to win.

Wanted "Ton" to shoot more.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

rzrbackramsfan

Yea I'm sure he was hoping he could jump in there and put the team on his back. 

(notOM)Rebel123

....and this matters how?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Razor6

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Tsarcasm

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." – Steven Wright

Prestworthy

I saw Monk play vs Northside this year.  He could make the roster of an NBA team tomorrow.  That's how good he is.  He would be the best player on the hogs roster without a doubt.  That includes Portis.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 02, 2015, 10:25:37 pm
I saw Monk play vs Northside this year.  He could make the roster of an NBA team tomorrow.  That's how good he is.  He would be the best player on the hogs roster without a doubt.  That includes Portis.
Maybe a slight stretch.  but only slight.  He's very, very good.

Pretty good move that the entire Hog basketball team went out to the BVille - FVille game last night.

michaels

i've heard malik is leaning towards playing overseas for a season.
go ahead and grill me.
supposedly marcus was traveling europe looking for ideal fits.

The_Iceman

Quote from: michaels on March 03, 2015, 11:32:50 am
i've heard malik is leaning towards playing overseas for a season.
go ahead and grill me.
supposedly marcus was traveling europe looking for ideal fits.

Marcus has stated on the radio that Malik would be going to college, not overseas. Maybe his mind changed, but he was pretty clear last I heard him.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2015, 11:34:27 am
Marcus has stated on the radio that Malik would be going to college, not overseas. Maybe his mind changed, but he was pretty clear last I heard him.

Marcus has stated several times that Malik will be going to college, they feel he needs to have that college experience.  He was still echoing this on 99.5 a couple of weeks ago on an interview I heard.

Pigsfeat

Just saw on Yahoo that the entire Razorback basketball team went to a Malik Monk game.
Hope he feels the love! ;D

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/3/3/8141335/malik-monk-recruiting-arkansas-kentucky
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

root_hawg

Everything I have heard it is either Arkansas or Kansas with a heavy lean to Arkansas

songofthesword

i'm normally not that guy but passes around rumors and stuff like that, but i know some people in basketball circles and after talking to somepeople off hand i would be extremely shocked if monk is not a hog at the end of the day.

he's gonna play the game and make sure all the ducks are in a row but he will be a hog.  from what i underestand his only real hangup is playing time.  not necessiarly mike's system but we have kinda a log jam at the guard spot. i think this is the real reason we backed off allen.  if we take allen monk is gone elsewhere not enough PT

Cresthog

If he shows the fitness and the effort, he'll be getting Qualls type minutes. No doubt about it.

root_hawg

He will start from day one

clutch

Quote from: songofthesword on March 04, 2015, 05:37:47 pm
i'm normally not that guy but passes around rumors and stuff like that, but i know some people in basketball circles and after talking to somepeople off hand i would be extremely shocked if monk is not a hog at the end of the day.

he's gonna play the game and make sure all the ducks are in a row but he will be a hog.  from what i underestand his only real hangup is playing time.  not necessiarly mike's system but we have kinda a log jam at the guard spot. i think this is the real reason we backed off allen.  if we take allen monk is gone elsewhere not enough PT

PT won't be an issue. If you have a monk type player, he plays. No matter what the system is. The other guards are the ones lefts scratching for minutes.

onebadrubi

Quote from: clutch on March 04, 2015, 10:53:14 pm
PT won't be an issue. If you have a monk type player, he plays. No matter what the system is. The other guards are the ones lefts scratching for minutes.

Also players of this caliber truly believe they will come in and knock off the guys in front of them. 

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: clutch on March 04, 2015, 10:53:14 pm

Yeah, if he can't come in and get PT on a college team, he wouldn't qualify as a 1 and done.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.