Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Stephen Jones - - -

Started by Hawgphat, February 04, 2018, 10:16:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgphat

- - - is now added to the QB mix.  I would ASSUME (yes; I know the pertinent, associated moth eaten, age-old inanity) that the grandson of Grandpa Jones will very likely red-shirt, barring the development of unusually dire circumstances.  What say you?

texas tush hog

I have watched him play a dozen times the last couple of years. He is pretty good, I think Hogville will be pleasantly surprised.

Irontusk

alohawg

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 04, 2018, 10:18:45 pm
I have watched him play a dozen times the last couple of years. He is pretty good, I think Hogville will be pleasantly surprised.

Is there any recent qb you might compare him to?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HogimusMaximus

Mike_e

In baseball I'd compare him to a closer.

The guy you call up to keep the lid on the other team.

It might not be a bad idea either.  It'd keep the wear and tear on your starter down and make the other team have to prepare for two different QBs.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Mike Irwin

Height in not everything in a quarterback. If it was nobody under 6-2 would have ever made it to the NFL. This kid is pretty danged salty. He makes plays, especially under pressure. There is no way at this point to know exactly how well he will make the transition to the SEC but it will be interesting to watch it unfold. It would be  a hell of story if he ever wins the job.

nchogg

What impressed me was his vision of the field and quick thinking.

hawgon

Everyone talks about what a gamer he is and how he makes plays, and he does, but that somewhat undersells his actual talent.  He has good arm strength and throws a nice tight spiral that gets where it is going and is catchable when it gets there.

mizzouman

Quote from: alohawg on February 05, 2018, 12:48:40 am
Very Chase Daniel like. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: alohawg on February 05, 2018, 12:48:40 am

Clint Stoerner.  He won't wow you with a Mallett arm, but he's got a good arm.  He seems to have that intangible I've heard coaches talking about for years, he plays to win.  It is too bad he will always be referred to as Jerry Jones' grandson (we should all be plagued by that, lol), because he is a player and a winner.  He's better than Casey Dick, probably as tough as Tyler Wilson, but doesn't quite have the long ball Tyler had, but that doesn't mean his arm is weak by any stretch of the imagination. 

Tarheelhawg

Wow! Just watched the highlights of the state championship game, this young man has what it takes to win.  I may get knocked for this, but he reminds me of Doug Flutie.  It was no accident that Texas Tech and SMU wanted him.

hogsanity

Let me ask this, if his name was Jim Bob Honeycutt, and no one is his family had any relationship to the UofA, would anyone care if he came here or not?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2018, 08:32:16 am
Let me ask this, if his name was Jim Bob Honeycutt, and no one is his family had any relationship to the UofA, would anyone care if he came here or not?

IMO, even without the pedigree, Jones would be as welcomed as any other out of state quarterback that Arkansas has signed.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2018, 08:32:16 am
Did you watch his highlights? Kid can flat out play. Doesn't matter what his name is or who is family is

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 05, 2018, 07:32:30 am
Height in not everything in a quarterback. If it was nobody under 6-2 would have ever made it to the NFL. This kid is pretty danged salty. He makes plays, especially under pressure. There is no way at this point to know exactly how well he will make the transition to the SEC but it will be interesting to watch it unfold. It would be  a hell of story if he ever wins the job.

Football is not all about measurables.  JSJ has the physical tools to play in the SEC and beyond.  54 of the 106 players on rosters in the Super Bowl were undrafted free-agents.

The NFL is full of Blaine Bishops.  Blaine was a 5'9" All-Pro safety for the Titans.  He was an eighth round pick out of Ball State.  He and many like him say that everyone in the NFL has the skills, but passion and dedication are difference makers. 

JSJ has shown the skills, but he has also shown the head and the heart to be a successful SEC quarterback.  Kliff Kingsbury knows QBs.  So does Chad Morris.  Frank Broyles loved QBs.  He signed 'em in bunches.  Steve Little was an All-State QB and DB from Kansas who Broyles recruited as a QB.  He came in with Ron Calcagni.  Bill Montgomery and Chuck Dicus were both highly recruited QBs from Texas.  All of those guys were similar in size to JSJ, and they were all great football players.  They played for Arkansas teams with a combined record of 53-9-2. 

Connor Noland and John Stephen Jones are a solid foundation for their class.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhawg on February 05, 2018, 08:37:40 am
IMO, even without the pedigree, Jones would be as welcomed as any other out of state quarterback that Arkansas has signed.

Not what I asked. Of course he would be welcomed, just like any other signee. I asked would fans be clamoring for him to be a signee if his name was not Jones?

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on February 05, 2018, 08:37:55 am
Did you watch his highlights? Kid can flat out play. Doesn't matter what his name is or who is family is

I watched it, I watched his playoff game too. Lots of kids can " flat out play ". I do not follow recruiting like some of you, what is his offer sheet like? Who are the Hogs trying to get him to pass up to sign here?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AugustaHog

I don't know if this kid will pan out as our QB here, but I'm not going to knock him because he lacks height to be a NFL QB.  Lots of guys had success in college and were never NFL stars.  If he is a legit 5'10.5" then he is tall enough to be successful as a college QB.  Morris has looked at him for awhile and still offered.  I hope he comes in and kills it.  This would be an amazing story that would get a ton of play PR-wise with the association of his family, lightly recruited, small in stature, etc. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2018, 08:44:49 am
Not what I asked. Of course he would be welcomed, just like any other signee. I asked would fans be clamoring for him to be a signee if his name was not Jones?

I watched it, I watched his playoff game too. Lots of kids can " flat out play ". I do not follow recruiting like some of you, what is his offer sheet like? Who are the Hogs trying to get him to pass up to sign here?

Kliff Kingsbury is enough for me.  He also had offers from SMU and Kansas.

A lot of kids can "flat out play".  Not a lot of QBs have led their teams to back-to-back 5A Texas championships. 

hawg1221

Never seen him play. Is he similar to Johnny Manziel?

Cotton

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 08:41:48 am
Football is not all about measurables.  JSJ has the physical tools to play in the SEC and beyond.  54 of the 106 players on rosters in the Super Bowl were undrafted free-agents.

The NFL is full of Blaine Bishops.  Blaine was a 5'9" All-Pro safety for the Titans. He was an eighth round pick out of Ball State.  He and many like him say that everyone in the NFL has the skills, but passion and dedication are difference makers. 

How was he picked in the 8th round of a 7 round draft?
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

younghog

February 05, 2018, 09:07:36 am #23 Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:39:22 pm by younghog
Living here in DFW.. College friends and I have watched him for a few years now.. He is good for Highland Park.. and has been trained by Tony Romo.. Which you can see several of the polished areas. SEC ready not yet and may not get there with who is on the roster beside him. His height may be an issue..  However he is a baller and it should be a fun ride.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

bphi11ips

Quote from: Cotton on February 05, 2018, 09:00:23 am
How was he picked in the 8th round of a 7 round draft?

The NFL draft hasn't always been seven rounds.  Bishop was drafted in 1993 when there were eight rounds.  There were ten rounds in 1980. 

liljo

That game against Manvel was something to see. What a great highlight video!

I think this kid is just a good old fashioned winner with a lot of football savvy, very high IQ, and competitive spirit. I think he'll push hard for the starting job before his days at Arkansas are over.

The best thing about this QB competition is that it ensures that whoever gets the job will have certainly earned it.

Go Hogs!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

EastexHawg

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 05, 2018, 08:47:01 am
Morris has looked at him for awhile and still offered.

It's shocking that Morris would give a scholarship to the grandson of the man who basically "hired" him for the position.  Almost hard to comprehend.

The NewEra

Another comment from Mike that is spot on.

The NewEra

Quote from: liljo on February 05, 2018, 09:28:38 am
That game against Manvel was something to see. What a great highlight video!

I think this kid is just a good old fashioned winner with a lot of football savvy, very high IQ, and competitive spirit. I think he'll push hard for the starting job before his days at Arkansas are over.

The best thing about this QB competition is that it ensures that whoever gets the job will have certainly earned it.

Go Hogs!

I like this post.  It's critical that this team brings in young men who are winners with a don't die mentality.  JSJ is a leader and winner and regardless of whether he makes it as the starter he brings great value to the football team. 

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: The NewEra on February 05, 2018, 10:02:56 am
Another comment from Mike that is spot on.

THey are pretty rare, usually he just babbles.

RME

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 05, 2018, 09:28:43 am
It's shocking that Morris would give a scholarship to the grandson of the man who basically "hired" him for the position.  Almost hard to comprehend.

Then why did other schools offer him as well? Did Jerry have a hand in hiring those coaches, too?

steveaustin69

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 05, 2018, 10:24:58 am
Then why did other schools offer him as well? Did Jerry have a hand in hiring those coaches, too?

Yes

kaki

Let's see some of the possible outcomes: the young man comes and contributes, good for him and good for the Hogs; he comes, does not play but the buzz helps in recruiting down the line, good for him and good for the Hogs; and finally, he comes, does not play and it has no positive effect for the Hogs, good for him and not such a big deal for the Hogs.  Like he would be the first scholarship athlete not to work out?  He is seemingly a good kid, appears pretty grounded and humble, so the worse case I see is we have a good team player on the sidelines and in the locker room who plays very little, if any.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 05, 2018, 09:28:43 am

Unless something has changed, Jones will be a preferred walk on here.

Hog Fan...DOH!

I hope the kid has the time of his life in Fayetteville. 

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on February 05, 2018, 10:38:38 am
Unless something has changed, Jones will be a preferred walk on here.
It changed. He is on scholarship

jkstock04

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 08:53:55 am

A lot of kids can "flat out play".  Not a lot of QBs have led their teams to back-to-back 5A Texas championships. 
Had Morris offered/recruited him at SMU?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 05, 2018, 10:52:41 am

Not sure.  He said yesterday interest picked up late in his senior year.  He had video game numbers.  61 TDs and 4 INTs his senior year.  Raleigh Williams had video game numbers, too.  When a player puts up numbers like JSJ and RWIII did against big Texas high schools, there's something there. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 08:41:48 am

The NFL is full of Blaine Bishops.  Blaine was a 5'9" All-Pro safety for the Titans.  He was an eighth round pick out of Ball State.  He and many like him say that everyone in the NFL has the skills, but passion and dedication are difference makers. 

JSJ has shown the skills, but he has also shown the head and the heart to be a successful SEC quarterback.  Kliff Kingsbury knows QBs.  So does Chad Morris.  Frank Broyles loved QBs.  He signed 'em in bunches.  Steve Little was an All-State QB and DB from Kansas who Broyles recruited as a QB.  He came in with Ron Calcagni.  Bill Montgomery and Chuck Dicus were both highly recruited QBs from Texas.  All of those guys were similar in size to JSJ, and they were all great football players.  They played for Arkansas teams with a combined record of 53-9-2. 

Connor Noland and John Stephen Jones are a solid foundation for their class.

Nice post, but I feel I should point out that Chuck Dicus was not highly recruited, he'll tell you that. He'll also tell you he was likely the last guy Broyles signed in a 50-man class in 1967. In the Metroplex his senior year, he was probably the third best QB in that area behind Bill Montgomery and Eddie Phillips (who would go to UT and be part of the 30-game win streak), both definitely highly recruited. However, a asst. coach for Broyles named Jack Davis had a fantastic eye for talent. And while Chuck at was not going to be a quarterback on the next level, Jack Davis knew he brought much more in terms of quickness, speed and mind, all at 6-feet tall, and as we know he is in the College Football Hall of Fame as a receiver.

Lots of Broyles QB signees went to the defensive side of the ball. Jerry Moore may have been the best of them all as far as college career at safety and what he did at the NFL level with da Bears.

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

RME

Looks like he received an official offer from SMU on December 18, after Morris was gone.

Also looks like Morris offered him almost right away when we hired him.

I'm not sure how to find out if Morris was actively recruiting him while at SMU and just hadn't offered.

https://247sports.com/Player/John-Stephen-Jones-46039810/TimelineEvents

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on February 05, 2018, 10:47:36 am
It changed. He is on scholarship

This article says it isn't clear.  Is there an official announcement that he was offered a scholarship?

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-offers-qb-john-stephen-jones-grandson-jerry-jones

WOOPIGDOOIE

SMU offered him after CCM left. But he may have had interest in him while he was SMU

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on February 05, 2018, 11:05:55 am
This article says it isn't clear.  Is there an official announcement that he was offered a scholarship?

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-offers-qb-john-stephen-jones-grandson-jerry-jones
That was written right after we offered. He was on OV this past weekend. PWO cant go on official visits

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hawgphat on February 04, 2018, 10:16:29 pm
- - - is now added to the QB mix.  I would ASSUME (yes; I know the pertinent, associated moth eaten, age-old inanity) that the grandson of Grandpa Jones will very likely red-shirt, barring the development of unusually dire circumstances.  What say you?

Woo Pig Sooie! He is a gamer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on February 05, 2018, 11:10:01 am
That was written right after we offered. He was on OV this past weekend. PWO cant go on official visits

Thanks

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 08:53:55 am

Would you be happy if we had hired Kingsbury?

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

bphi11ips

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 05, 2018, 11:00:56 am
Nice post, but I feel I should point out that Chuck Dicus was not highly recruited, he'll tell you that. He'll also tell you he was likely the last guy Broyles signed in a 50-man class in 1967. In the Metroplex his senior year, he was probably the third best QB in that area behind Bill Montgomery and Eddie Phillips (who would go to UT and be part of the 30-game win streak), both definitely highly recruited. However, a asst. coach for Broyles named Jack Davis had a fantastic eye for talent. And while Chuck at was not going to be a quarterback on the next level, Jack Davis knew he brought much more in terms of quickness, speed and mind, all at 6-feet tall, and as we know he is in the College Football Hall of Fame as a receiver.

Lots of Broyles QB signees went to the defensive side of the ball. Jerry Moore may have been the best of them all as far as college career at safety and what he did at the NFL level with da Bears.

You'd know better than I about Dicus and recruiting. I was 7 in 1969, but I'll never forget Dicus in The Big Shootout.  I just knew Montgomery and Dicus were both high school QBs.

Bacons Rebellion

Height in not everything in a quarterback. If it was nobody under 6-2 would have ever made it to the NFL. ...

Here are the NFL quarterback heights. I hope he's Russell Wilson or Drew Brees, but his height is in the bottom tail of the curve.

https://gooddeedseats.com/all-starting-nfl-quarterback-heights/

bphi11ips

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 05, 2018, 11:31:48 am
Would you be happy if we had hired Kingsbury?

Huh?  Never gave it a thought. No.  But he's coached some great QBs.