Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL post your picks thread (sports investing)

Started by WILL CLINTON, August 28, 2011, 09:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 04, 2013, 10:23:34 am

Rule I broke is betting it this early in the week.  My angle is only that okie states backups should be able to cover that line.  I have certainly been wrong before though :)

Well, let's do it baby. My biggest bet thus far.

Huckleberry Pig

I'll go ahead and lock in Okie St. as well.

Pick 1:

Okie St (-26.5) -- 3*

Hawgndaaz

September 04, 2013, 11:56:45 am #3302 Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:16:26 pm by Hawgndaaz
Who all is on the early Ok state train?

Jeff
McKaddy
Hawgn
Widespread
Huckleberry
Will Clinton
Tai_Mai

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 04, 2013, 11:56:45 am

Jeff
Hawgn
Widespread
Huckleberry
Will Clinton?

Yep
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Huckleberry Pig

anyone playing NFL tomorrow night?  Baltimore looks juicy at +9.  I know they lost a lot on D but they replaced it with some pretty good talent.  Denver without Von Miller.  Idk I just think thats a lot of points for a team that just won the Super Bowl

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 04, 2013, 12:07:44 pm
anyone playing NFL tomorrow night?  Baltimore looks juicy at +9.  I know they lost a lot on D but they replaced it with some pretty good talent.  Denver without Von Miller.  Idk I just think thats a lot of points for a team that just won the Super Bowl

Damn bro, where you getting +9?

Tai_Mai_Shu

I guess I'm going to piggyback you guys and throw 1u on Okie State

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on September 04, 2013, 12:14:12 pm
Damn bro, where you getting +9?

thats what 5dimes has it at - I see most places have it at +8?  Still think that's too many pts

BJOhog

I'm big on miama cause I am a huge Florida doubter
Offense an driskel overated defense was slitely overated and the lost good pieces off it
I would have taken Miami in straight play

Hawgndaaz

BJOhog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 04, 2013, 01:47:39 pm
Pats down to -9.5
Balt is +7.5
Prolly jus means Emanuel is starting
This game feels like a trap

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 04, 2013, 11:56:45 am

Jeff ------------> means McKdaddy as well
Hawgn
Widespread
Huckleberry
Will Clinton
Tai_Mai
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

SPAL

I'm not as confident in ok state as you guys are. They lost a lot of production on offense and there are big question marks regarding the QB play. If you have 2 QBs you have no quarterbacks.

Let's not discount the fact that this is a road game. Ok st is 1-6 ATS in the last 7 road games. That tells me the offensive production suffers on the road. I'm not always a trends guy..but in this case, I think it's important.

UTSA us a team that I think can move the ball and score some points. I like them to score 13 which means I'm asking an offense that hasn't found an identity nor a starting QB that struggles on the road offensively as if is to score 40.

I think the cowboys win easily. But I'm not sold they win by 27 or more.

Right now, I've graded it 34-13.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 04, 2013, 03:57:37 pm
I'm not as confident in ok state as you guys are. They lost a lot of production on offense and there are big question marks regarding the QB play. If you have 2 QBs you have no quarterbacks.

Let's not discount the fact that this is a road game. Ok st is 1-6 ATS in the last 7 road games. That tells me the offensive production suffers on the road. I'm not always a trends guy..but in this case, I think it's important.

UTSA us a team that I think can move the ball and score some points. I like them to score 13 which means I'm asking an offense that hasn't found an identity nor a starting QB that struggles on the road offensively as if is to score 40.

Do you have a way to look up cupcake road game spread trends, if that makes sense?

You know what they say.. a team improves the most between game 1 and game 2.

UAstudent13

Disagree completely. The lowest total the cowboys scored on the road last year was 30 (besides a statistical anomaly of 20 on the road vs. Kansas). Although the Bulldogs might not have the best defense in the world, it is still much more formidable than UTSA. The Cowboys still put up 432 yards of offense against Mississippi State.

I think they win by 5 TDs.

SPAL

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 04, 2013, 04:11:58 pm
Do you have a way to look up cupcake road game spread trends, if that makes sense?

You know what they say.. a team improves the most between game 1 and game 2.

I get what you're saying about it being a cupcake by most standards. While the team IS a cupcake, per se, it's STILL a road game.

This game is played in the Alamo dome. If there are 10,000 people there, I'll be shocked. THIS offense is not the same offense as in years past. While I agree that you improve the most between game 1 and 2, this team needs to improve a lot.

Kickoff is 11am. I look for it to take a quarter to get going.

All if this is mainly my opinion, I just don't like ok st at 27 in this situation. It just screams sloppy to me.

SPAL

Quote from: UAstudent13 on September 04, 2013, 04:17:10 pm
Disagree completely. The lowest total the cowboys scored on the road last year was 30 (besides a statistical anomaly of 20 on the road vs. Kansas). Although the Bulldogs might not have the best defense in the world, it is still much more formidable than UTSA. The Cowboys still put up 432 yards of offense against Mississippi State.

I think they win by 5 TDs.

This is what I love about this thread.

McKdaddy

It is a road game, but okie st will have more fans there than UTSA.

McKdaddy

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 04, 2013, 04:21:19 pm
I get what you're saying about it being a cupcake by most standards. While the team IS a cupcake, per se, it's STILL a road game.

This game is played in the Alamo dome. If there are 10,000 people there, I'll be shocked. THIS offense is not the same offense as in years past. While I agree that you improve the most between game 1 and 2, this team needs to improve a lot.

Kickoff is 11am. I look for it to take a quarter to get going.

All if this is mainly my opinion, I just don't like ok st at 27 in this situation. It just screams sloppy to me.

Another reason this thread is solid.

SPAL

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 04, 2013, 04:38:14 pm
It is a road game, but okie st will have more fans there than UTSA.

Wouldn't be surprised.

widespreadsooie

Pretty sure there isn't a QB controversy anymore. It's Walsh's show to run who had 135 yards through the air and around 120 on the ground, in basically three quarters, against a surprisingly re established Sip St. D.

UAstudent13

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 04, 2013, 04:30:31 pm
This is what I love about this thread.

I'm not sure if that was a slight towards me, but I was merely giving my opinion while respecting yours.

widespreadsooie

Also, this is UTSA's third run in Div 1. The talent gap is very significant.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: UAstudent13 on September 04, 2013, 04:43:56 pm
I'm not sure if that was a slight towards me, but I was merely giving my opinion while respecting yours.

He was respecting yours. Glad for this thread because of the info that is brought to it that not everyone has the time to collect on their own.

Huckleberry Pig

actually think (hoping) he was being serious.  One thing I really do enjoy about this thread is seeing different POVs and a good, quality, respectful argument on a game.  You really get a chance to see every side of the game as opposed to just "I like so and so" and everyone follows like sheep.

Appreciate both you and sir pig's input on the game

SPAL

No slight at all my man...ive said many times the reason this thread is my favorite is because of all the opinions and respect for each other. I'm glad you posted your opinion, that's what we do. We like to look at other people's view point. It's better to have all the info when playing these games.

If I appeared to slight you, I'm sorry. Wasn't my intention at all.

widespreadsooie

There's no bad blood in here. Another reason this thread is the best on Hogville.

SPAL

Well I'm in the minority on this board and public betting is 83% on ok st. I hadn't planned to play this game at all till everybody jumped on ok st, so I researched it myself.

I still may not play it, because you guys are probably right. But with it being an 11am start , playing in front of the booster club and cheerleaders, and after a big win last week, this just has the recipe for a sloppy football game.

And sloppy football games tend to favor the heave dogs.

UAstudent13

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 04, 2013, 04:48:21 pm
No slight at all my man...ive said many times the reason this thread is my favorite is because of all the opinions and respect for each other. I'm glad you posted your opinion, that's what we do. We like to look at other people's view point. It's better to have all the info when playing these games.

If I appeared to slight you, I'm sorry. Wasn't my intention at all.

Ha, I wasn't going to be worried about it at all if it was meant as a slight. People have different viewpoints on betting and I know more than my fair share of people who won't listen to anyone but themselves.

I agree with wide. The talent gap is much too wide and unlike some coaches around the NCAA, Gundy just keeps on scoring even in a rout.

McKdaddy

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 04, 2013, 04:48:40 pm
There's no bad blood in here. Another reason this thread is the best on Hogville.

This, but if we were slighting you there'd be no ambiguity ;)

McKdaddy

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 04, 2013, 04:53:26 pm
Well I'm in the minority on this board and public betting is 83% on ok st. I hadn't planned to play this game at all till everybody jumped on ok st, so I researched it myself.

I still may not play it, because you guys are probably right. But with it being an 11am start , playing in front of the booster club and cheerleaders, and after a big win last week, this just has the recipe for a sloppy football game.

And sloppy football games tend to favor the heave dogs.

Good points here.

I might be wrong about the attendance skewing so heavily to the Dirty Sanchez's.  An article in the Tulsa World previewing UTSA for okie state fans, mentioned that UTSA has been FBS for 2 years with an average home attendance of 35,521 (paid, not turnstile, I'm sure).  May be more of a road environment than I had anticipated.

DadVader1

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 04, 2013, 04:57:07 pm
This, but if we were slighting you there'd be no ambiguity ;)

lol ... Yeah, it's a friendly, helpful crowd in here as we try improve our records ATS.  About the only two ways I know of to get slighted in here are:

(1) claiming results on picks that you didn't post in here before kickoff; or
(2) taking a cheap shot at one of our many valued posters. :)

SPAL

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 04, 2013, 05:02:22 pm
Good points here.

I might be wrong about the attendance skewing so heavily to the Dirty Sanchez's.  An article in the Tulsa World previewing UTSA for okie state fans, mentioned that UTSA has been FBS for 2 years with an average home attendance of 35,521 (paid, not turnstile, I'm sure).  May be more of a road environment than I had anticipated.

More than I anticipated also.

Hawgndaaz

I don't know where to look most of the time to get the info you guys give so its awesome to read.

My reasoning for picking certain games is usually pretty weak compared to the research you guys do. That's why I don't post a whole lot hah. I like to tail you guys most of the time and add my own thoughts (which I tend to keep to myself so I don't sound like a goon).

One thing is, OSU is still butthurt about being left out of the champ game. It seems like teams outside of the SEC like to run up big scores and stats... and Gundy has all the more reason to do so.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 04, 2013, 05:21:17 pm
My reasoning for picking certain games is usually pretty weak compared to the research you guys do. That's why I don't post a whole lot hah. I like to tail you guys most of the time and add my own thoughts (which I tend to keep to myself so I don't sound like a goon).

Keep this one thing in mind. We were all like you at one point. No one here is going to discourage you, because that's the way we all learned. The thing about sports betting is that there are no experts. I mean, there are professionals who tend to hit at a higher rate than others, but any given week, they can and do fall flat on their faces. I've learned this the hard way, as early on I was an easy mark for tout services. I wanted to win, and I wanted the "professional" opinion. Little did I know that just paying a little more attention, doing a little research and trusting my gut has let me to many more pay days than any service. A couple of weeks, I gave the tout my picks, and told him that whoever hit the best, the other would call them and pay for their picks. I lost a couple of times and called and paid, but I won also. They didn't call me back, but I learned that they are no different than me. They may have better contacts, and can get more information, but they still have to play the games.

Also, if you never share your thoughts, there will be no way to push you down the right road, or correct you where you have gone wrong. We aren't here to beat a drum, rather help others learn how to play drums.

SPAL

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 04, 2013, 05:21:17 pm
I don't know where to look most of the time to get the info you guys give so its awesome to read.

One thing is, OSU is still butthurt about being left out of the champ game. It seems like teams outside of the SEC like to run up big scores and stats... and Gundy has all the more reason to do so.

Don't think that way. This is only my 6th year to invest. My first 2 were sub .500 years and I tailed a lot of people to see what worked. It wasn't till my 3rd year I started hitting 500 and last year, year 5, was my best and I only hit 56%.

It takes time to figure out how to play this fans, but u never learn it all and you are a major success if you hit 60. Just stick with it and learn your own wY

Huckleberry Pig

September 04, 2013, 06:05:22 pm #3336 Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:22:28 pm by Huckleberry Pig
alright enough circle jerkin  ;) back to picks...

i'm easing off on the sips, just not in love with that game.  Would also like to focus more on SEC.  I've found if I stay focused on one conference it helps me get to know the teams better instead of being so spread out.  I do have Okie St. locked in but other than that i'll be looking in the SEC this week.

I still like ASU +13.5 against Auburn.  Just was not impressed with auburn last game and if ASU can stop the running game it could be a tight game for Auburn.  Now ol preacher boy might know the ASU team better than anyone and will be able to cue in on their weakness but does anyone think ASU could do the same thing? 

I was just not sold on Aubie's win last week to think they will pull of a two TD win.  Aside from a 75yrd TD run and a kickoff return for a TD, they only had one other TD.  Not to say their special teams pts don't count but I just think they are more rare.  Can't bank on them every game.

ASU will try to run the ball a lot this game, we will see if Auburns D will hold up.  This should be their strength but I was none to impressed with their D giving up 24 last game with several opportunites Wash did not capitalize on.  Will ASU be able to?  Who knows, but don't look for 3 INT's from Auburn this week.  They will need to shut down drives by playing good run D IMO. 

If ASU plays smart, avoids turnovers and big plays, and can slow down Auburns Offense I think this one is a nail biter. 

Would love to hear someone else's take on this game

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

All very valid points and I could certainly be wrong on this one.  Wouldn't be this first time I blew a big bet and if it happens won't be the last :)
Let's make some waves.

OldCoot

September 04, 2013, 06:30:16 pm #3338 Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:41:37 pm by Dude
Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 04, 2013, 10:53:09 am
OSU -26 4u
Tejas -7 2u

This plus the 2nd part of my if/win with Florida -3.

The hogs are +10000 to win the conference.  What does that mean?

I'll say one thing.  Having money on a game makes  OOC games a LOT more exciting.

OldCoot

Anyone like Tulsa?  They are certainly worth -10 against Co st., right? I'd like to get another 1/2 point out of WKU.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Dude on September 04, 2013, 06:30:16 pm
This plus the 2nd part of my if/win with Florida -3.

The hogs are +10000 to win the conference.  What does that mean?

I'll say one thing.  Having money on a game makes  OOC games a LOT more exciting.

It means that if you lay $100 on them to win the conference, and they do, you collect $10000

OldCoot

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on September 04, 2013, 06:46:20 pm
It means that if you lay $100 on them to win the conference, and they do, you collect $10000

Thats a sucker bet, huh? :D

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Dude on September 04, 2013, 06:45:24 pm
Anyone like Tulsa?  They are certainly worth -10 against Co st., right?

This is one of the first games I looked at. Tulsa comes off a beat down (34-7) by Bowling Green. Co St also got beat down themselves by CU. I couldn't pick out who was worse.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Dude on September 04, 2013, 06:47:37 pm
Thats a sucker bet, huh? :D

Only if you lose...lol

I'm sure stranger things have happened, but...in a word...yes.

McKdaddy

(bump)

I get uncomfortable when this thread moves from page 1.

TxArky

I have a question for you all in regards to the Okie State game, and others like it.  Wouldn't a game like this be perfect for a coach to play more of his 2nd and 3rd string guys and not run up the score that much?  This just seems to me a good chance to get those other guys more prepared just in case the guy(s) ahead of them get injured (or caught doing something stupid).  This especially applies to defensive players with the targeting rule now in play as it is.

side note: this bet is tempting me.

McKdaddy

Quote from: TxArky on September 05, 2013, 08:35:00 am
I have a question for you all in regards to the Okie State game, and others like it.  Wouldn't a game like this be perfect for a coach to play more of his 2nd and 3rd string guys and not run up the score that much?  This just seems to me a good chance to get those other guys more prepared just in case the guy(s) ahead of them get injured (or caught doing something stupid).  This especially applies to defensive players with the targeting rule now in play as it is.

Correct, assuming okie state gets up on them big and early. But those 2nd & 3rd teamers want score also. They are running hard till the whistle. Those 2nd team RB's want their yards, the WR's want their catches, the LB's want to rock a USTA player, etc. Gundy isn't one to embarress another program or its coach, but he wants to see what the 2nd & 3rd teamers do in live game action, running the offense as it is supposed to be ran. Gundy won't put up 80 points if the opportunity is available (generally speaking, barring the Savannah St game in '12), but he won't hesitate to put up 60.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: TxArky on September 05, 2013, 08:35:00 am

It's very possible, however with the gaping wide talent gap and Gundy's offensive philosophy, it shouldn't stop OK St. from putting up points. Pick and plug those receivers.

Also, read where UVA punted the ball 13 times against BYU. Do that against Oregon and you lose by 40. Also, there could be a hangover factor with UVA this week. Locking in Oregon at -22.5 for one unit.

McKdaddy

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 05, 2013, 08:47:06 am

Also, read where UVA punted the ball 13 times against BYU. Do that against Oregon and you lose by 40. Also, there could be a hangover factor with UVA this week. Locking in Oregon at -22.5 for one unit.

Phil Steele mentioned this morning that UVA became the first team to punt 13 times in a game AND win the game.

UAstudent13

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 05, 2013, 08:49:15 am
Phil Steele mentioned this morning that UVA became the first team to punt 13 times in a game AND win the game.

BYU's defense is stout but Oregon has tons of speed on defense as well. I like the -24 line for Oregon personally.

AND Virginia only had 220 yards of total offense against BYU.. Definitely like Oregon big.