Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Barry Bonds only 2 Homeruns Shy of tying Babe Ruth...

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, May 03, 2006, 11:45:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

and only 2 injections shy of tying Jose Canseco

From Conan tonight...

:D
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

razorhead69

hogsNbeer

This is very sad....... When this happens.. It will be MLBs all-time low! :puke:

Tmac813

I'm going to get smited for this post, but are u telling me that Barry Bonds is not one of the 5 greatest Baseball players in modern times?  Does anyone remember the Killer bees? in Pittsburgh.  This guy has consistently played the game at another level.  If we're going to limit his accomplishments based on the Steroid scandal, than Mark McGuire should have an asterisk and so should the other players in the 500 club in this era.  When did we become such a stickler for rules in this game?  Did Babe Ruth play against the best players of his era?  How many games did he play, drunk or high?  MLB has always rewarded cheating the fans and the owners are complicit in this whole charade.  Let the man do it on the field unless u want to change the rules to suit each individual circumstance....

Quote from: Tmac813 on May 04, 2006, 02:34:14 pm
I'm going to get smited for this post, but are u telling me that Barry Bonds is not one of the 5 greatest Baseball players in modern times?  Does anyone remember the Killer bees? in Pittsburgh.  This guy has consistently played the game at another level.  If we're going to limit his accomplishments based on the Steroid scandal, than Mark McGuire should have an asterisk and so should the other players in the 500 club in this era.  When did we become such a stickler for rules in this game?  Did Babe Ruth play against the best players of his era?  How many games did he play, drunk or high?  MLB has always rewarded cheating the fans and the owners are complicit in this whole charade.  Let the man do it on the field unless u want to change the rules to suit each individual circumstance....
I can promise you you won't get smited on here...maybe in person...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

hogsNbeer

I think Bonds' sucks!  and no to answer you're question...He is not the top 5 best players of all time.....     Babe played vs LIKE players as him.....just like the pros today play vs LIKE players to them......   Players in each era had the same tools as their current era dictated.. Yes, I think McGuire should have an *...... and that makes me sick also, for I use to like him...

Tmac813

Why does he suck?  He's the most feared hitter in Baseball.  Like him?  I do think there was a Negro league, back then?  Is that what you're talking about?  I don't get that Like statement.  Pitchers threw spitballs, used sand paper, and did a myriad of things to get an edge.  If those same players, from that era, had what was available to modern players right now they would have done the same thing to gain an edge.  That's not to say that the Babe was not a tremendous player for his time, but I think it's disingenuous to completely ignore this sports milestone in any era.  How can u not say a guy that's hit over 700 Homeruns is not one of the top Baseball players ever?  Remember, Bond's was a consistent 30-40 homeruns per year hitter, before this Balco stuff evened surfaced.  BTW, I hope I spell this right, but Metampetmines were big in the sport during that time.  A drug is a drug.  I don't know if speed, improved their performances on the field, but I'm certain it did not hurt?

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Tmac813 on May 04, 2006, 02:52:21 pm
Why does he suck?  He's the most feared hitter in Baseball.  Like him?  I do think there was a Negro league, back then?  Is that what you're talking about?  I don't get that Like statement.  Pitchers threw spitballs, used sand paper, and did a myriad of things to get an edge.  If those same players, from that era, had what was available to modern players right now they would have done the same thing to gain an edge.  That's not to say that the Babe was not a tremendous player for his time, but I think it's disingenuous to completely ignore this sports milestone in any era.  How can u not say a guy that's hit over 700 Homeruns is not one of the top Baseball players ever?  Remember, Bond's was a consistent 30-40 homeruns per year hitter, before this Balco stuff evened surfaced.  BTW, I hope I spell this right, but Metampetmines were big in the sport during that time.  A drug is a drug.  I don't know if speed, improved their performances on the field, but I'm certain it did not hurt?

You'll see....He's a CHEAT!    He had body enhancements that gave him an unfair advantage over players that didn't use the enhancer...How can people defend this man..... ?  bout like people defending Dale..... I just can't understand it .........          We agree to disagree...You love bonds, I dont'....

SacredGroove

I don't understand why anyone cares anything about him passing Babe Ruth. Since when do we celebrate second place? Did Ricky Henderson get a big celebration when he passed whoever it was into second place? No. Not until he passed into first did baseball celebrate the accomplishment. I don't understand why people are complaining about it. Can someone enlighten me?

mword

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on May 04, 2006, 02:39:22 pm
I can promise you you won't get smited on here...maybe in person...

Too bad I can't applaud you.

Tmac813

Are u going to applaud me?  Or the guy that wants to smite me in person?

WichitaStateRazorback

Quote from: Tmac813 on May 04, 2006, 06:15:27 pm
Are u going to applaud me?  Or the guy that wants to smite me in person?

I hope you know I was joking...

I'm a lover not a smiter

But I'm not gay

Check out the Gay vs. Not Gay thread...

Tmac813

See,

Here it is.  Pay attention to the previous posts.  No one can give me a solid reason why Bonds breaking Babe Ruth's HR record is such a black eye on Baseball?  I think Baseball has done that all on it's on.  The hypocrisy makes me sick.  When all those balls were flying out of the park, u did not see hardly anyone making an issue out of what was happening.  Now, all of sudden Bonds is a cheater?  We had the same arguments when Hammerin Hank was getting ready to break the record.   Again, give me one compelling reason, other than the Balco controversy, why Bonds is not one of the top Baseball players of our generation.  Take all the steroid junk away, and he would still be a Hall of Famer.

rcowen

bonds is a joke, but it's just as much baseballs fault for lettin him break ruths record. It was the steroids that got people interested in baseball again, and the suits knew that Mcgwire and sosa weren't pop flyin balls out of the park just from bench pressing, they could have done something to prevent this god awful mess much sooner than waiting till now

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Tmac813 on May 04, 2006, 06:37:41 pm
See,

Here it is.  Pay attention to the previous posts.  No one can give me a solid reason why Bonds breaking Babe Ruth's HR record is such a black eye on Baseball?  I think Baseball has done that all on it's on.  The hypocrisy makes me sick.  When all those balls were flying out of the park, u did not see hardly anyone making an issue out of what was happening.  Now, all of sudden Bonds is a cheater?  We had the same arguments when Hammerin Hank was getting ready to break the record.   Again, give me one compelling reason, other than the Balco controversy, why Bonds is not one of the top Baseball players of our generation.  Take all the steroid junk away, and he would still be a Hall of Famer.

Bonds would have been a hall of fame player had he not started really juicing in 98.  Unless I am wrong, he had not before that time hit more than 39 home runs in a season.  He gets on the juice and his HR total sky rockets.  He was already a good hitter, but not feared like he is now.  He would have been a top 25-100 player for sure...but no way he makes it into the top 5.  His homeruns got him into that conversation.  Before 98 he was on pace to hit 500.  That puts  him in pretty nice company, but not in the top 5.

You can't say, "take away balco and he is still a top 5 guy."  Balco is the reason that he is even in the conversation.
Retired Radio Host

SacredGroove

Quote from: Tmac813 on May 04, 2006, 06:37:41 pm
See,

Here it is.  Pay attention to the previous posts.  No one can give me a solid reason why Bonds breaking Babe Ruth's HR record is such a black eye on Baseball? 

He IS NOT breaking Babe Ruth's HR record. Babe Ruth doesn't have a HR record. When/if Bonds get close to 755 then everyone should be up in arms about his steroid use and breaking the real record.

Guys GUYS GUYS!

This is The Tavern.  Take your valid sportz points to MMQB.
And kiss my ass.

HairyHog

Nobody cares what I think, but I will never recognize Bonds as the homerun leader.   It will always be "The Babe" because he did it without steroids. 

hogsta

Cool. He doesn't need you to recognize him. It will be right there in the record books.

If we are going to take out any steroids-related records and stats, there will be somewhere around 950 games that won't count, including 4 world series. Let's get started selectively removing them.

If steroids had been around when the babe was playing, he not only would've taken them, he would've eaten the trainer responsible for injecting them.

http://barrybonds.mlb.com/players/bonds_barry/index.html

You can hate mail him through this great site. Let the envy begin.