Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008/2009 Rangers Offseason News

Started by UhOhioHog, December 04, 2008, 01:03:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

selfexplanatory

McCarthy makes a highly anticipated start, only to leave after 2/3 of an inning with blisters and fails to return back to the mound for the entire year.

Millwood finishes 15 and 14.

Blaylock starts the season on the DL.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

razorbackfan86

Rangers rotation set..

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=mlb_spring_training

WASHINGTON: RANGERS' ROTATION SET (5:22 p.m. ET)
Two days into spring training, Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington says his rotation is set. That doesn't mean the starting pitchers won't be challenged.

The Rangers deviated from their norm by having pitchers throw to hitters during batting practice on the first day of workouts Sunday. A day later, Washington indicated he was ready to roll with Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla, followed in no particular order by Scott Feldman, Matt Harrison and Brandon McCarthy.

"The only thing that can unseat it is if one of those guys come up with an injury or something unforeseen happens," Washington said Monday. "But that's where we want to go."

Facing batters so early couldn't have come as a surprise because new pitching coach Mike Maddux made it clear over the winter that his pitchers should arrive in shape and ready for a heavier workload. Last season, the Rangers had the fifth-highest ERA in club history at 5.37.

"Throwing live BP makes you concentrate a little bit more, and you get a little bit more out of it, so that's a good thing," said Millwood, who was 9-10 with a 5.07 ERA in 2008, his second straight year with a 5-plus ERA after 10 seasons without one.

Millwood, the likely Opening Day starter, and Padilla (41-8, 4.74 ERA a year ago) are the known quantities for Washington.

The 23-year-old Harrison posted a 9-3 mark in 15 starts as a rookie after a July callup, although his ERA was a somewhat bloated 5.49. McCarthy hasn't stayed healthy in Texas and made just five starts last season. Feldman was a career reliever before starting 25 times in 28 appearances last year.

In other news, Washington says Frank Francisco "is the guy" right now in a closer battle also featuring former All-Star Derrick Turnbow and C.J. Wilson, who saved 24 games in 28 tries for the Rangers last year before having season-ending elbow surgery.

TR1

Like Matt Harrison in the rotation. Just worried about Feldman and McCarthy!

razorbackfan86

Hopefully McCarthy will stay healthy.. Padilla should do fine.. Lets hope Millwood will do something this year.. Wasn't impressed w/ him last year

TheRazorbackGuy

Neftali Feliz and Derek Holland will be up soon in the season so I wouldnt be all worked up about McCarthy and his DL stints or Feldman who will eventually be a longman.

razorbackfan86

Rangers kick off the spring schedule this afternoon against KC. With the spring kicking off and opening day right around the corner, it's that time of year again for everyone to start getting excited about Texas Rangers baseball. In the spirit of excitement, lets have a friendly game of over/under.

The Rangers have only won 80+ games 2 times this decade. So, lets make the magic number "80"

Texas Rangers Over/Under 80 wins this year?

I'm going to say over

Col.Mccoy

Boy am I ready for some Ranger baseball! I'll take the over.
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie

razorbackfan86

UhOhioHog

With our pitching staff I'll reluctantly take the under. 

Unless one or two of the young prospects comes up and lights it up I fear we will give up the most runs in the league again this year.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TexasHogfan on February 26, 2009, 09:25:17 am
With our pitching staff I'll reluctantly take the under. 

Unless one or two of the young prospects comes up and lights it up I fear we will give up the most runs in the league again this year.

I think the Pirates pitching staff will be worse and I see the side as over because of improvements in the bullpen and prospects that call up that have been winners in the minors. Only thing that worries me is that John Kruk on ESPN picked them to win the division. I don't know if that is the kiss of death but we will see.

razorbackfan86

For those of you who are interested and have access to MLB Network, they'll be featuring the Texas Rangers on their "30 Clubs in 30 Days" special on March 18th @ 5:30 p.m... For a look at the schedule for the rest of the clubs click the link..

http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/network/promotions/30_in_30.jsp

UhOhioHog

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on March 02, 2009, 07:56:41 pm
For those of you who are interested and have access to MLB Network, they'll be featuring the Texas Rangers on their "30 Clubs in 30 Days" special on March 18th @ 5:30 p.m... For a look at the schedule for the rest of the clubs click the link..

Already on my Calendar!!!  I can't wait for Opening Day.  At home for the first time in years!

cadensdad

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on March 02, 2009, 07:56:41 pm

damn dish netword doesn't have mlb network! The special they did on Hamilton is supposed to be great as well check it out tomorrow at 12. I'm skipping class to watch it at my parents house.

razorbackfan86

Quote from: TexasHogfan on March 03, 2009, 09:56:22 am
Already on my Calendar!!!  I can't wait for Opening Day.  At home for the first time in years!

Bout time.. I can't wait either.. There's nothing like coming home to watch Texas Rangers baseball all Spring and Summer long..

Quote from: cadensdad on March 03, 2009, 11:52:51 am
damn dish netword doesn't have mlb network! The special they did on Hamilton is supposed to be great as well check it out tomorrow at 12. I'm skipping class to watch it at my parents house.

Only caught the last half of that special and it was incredible.. Got it scheduled on Tivo for Wednesday to catch the rest..

UhOhioHog

razorbackfan86

For those interested, the Rangers are airing right now on MLB Network against the White Sox.. 1-1 right now

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TexasHogfan on March 12, 2009, 10:29:02 am
Could it be in the works to get Ben Sheets after all?

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090310&content_id=3959856&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves. Sheets will have many options come August because of injuries. If the Rangers are in the race then they are involved. Guys like Roy Oswalt, Billy Wagner and Aaron Harang might be on the trade block in June this year. Derek Holland will have alot of GMs foaming at the mouth and if a guy like Oswalt were to be available... you would have to strongly consider it.

razorbackfan86

Reminder for those of you who have access to the MLB NETWORK. The "30 Clubs in 30 days" feature stops in at Rangers camp Wednesday at 4:30

TheRazorbackGuy

Yep and they talked about Derek Holland and Neftali Feliz.

UhOhioHog

Andruw is in and Cat is out. 

Holland looks like he is ready and has a good move to first.  He also is quick to the plate out of the stretch.  Tough to steal on. 

See ya at the Ballpark Monday!