Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008/2009 St. Louis Cardinals Offseason News

Started by Hogtropolis™, September 29, 2008, 06:41:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dhornjr1

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 20, 2009, 03:06:17 am
Cards' starting five

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/FD84308F28B3DAD4862575630014C72D?OpenDocument
Wainwright
Carpenter
Lohse
Wellemeyer
Piniero

I'm actually ok with that starting five as long as everyone stays healthy.  It's at least an improvement over last years starting 5.  Now if we can just score some runs.

dacskc

Nice........

*** Jess Todd had himself a heck of a bullpen session.  He was originally supposed to go against a group consisting of Brian Barden, David Freese, Jarrett Hoffpauir, Jon Jay, Joe Thurston and Brendan Ryan at 12:30.  But a schedule switch had him throwing at noon to Rick Ankiel, Chris Duncan, Ryan Ludwick, Jason LaRue, Brian Barton and Nick Stavinoha.  He reacted quite well.  His ball was moving all over the place.  In fact, after some of those guys got out of the box they were buzzing about how good of stuff Todd has.  Jeff Luhnow happened to be there watching it as well.  Look out for this kid.  He's probably going to start the season in AAA-Memphis as a starter...but do not be surprised if he makes his major league debut this season in the Cards bullpen.

Hogtropolis™

dacskc

Izzy had his moments, he used to be a favorite of mine. At times, the last couple of years, I thought he'd gotten it back and would be ok...
I wish the guy well with the Rays, but at the same time,..... "THANK YOU, GOD!!!!"

dhornjr1

dhornjr1

Well, here goes Don Tony off on another one of his stupid tangents. Do you ever get the feeling that the Don is sometimes just too smart for his own good?

St. Louis Cardinals consider Colby Rasmus for ninth spot in batting lineup

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/F271602AFAFD653F8625756400066146?OpenDocument

dhornjr1

dacskc

February 21, 2009, 04:01:45 pm #208 Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:10:31 pm by dacskc
Here are a couple of links for RedbirdMedia I found that everyone might enjoy...

The show can be LISTENED to here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/RedbirdMedia

LIVE on ustream at this link: http://www.ustream.tv/redbirdmedia

(Local Sports Journalists...show at 8pm)

dacskc

If you get DirecTv channel 639 (SNY...a Mets network), set your Tivo for noon  Fri the 27th. Cards vs Mets.

ACDCHogs

Quote from: dacskc on February 21, 2009, 04:01:45 pm
Here are a couple of links for RedbirdMedia I found that everyone might enjoy...

The show can be LISTENED to here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/RedbirdMedia

LIVE on ustream at this link: http://www.ustream.tv/redbirdmedia

(Local Sports Journalists...show at 8pm)

Just checked, the show is at 10 pm
I live on the rock n' roll train.

HoundHog

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 18, 2009, 02:33:30 am
Former St. Louis Cardinal Jason Isringhausen
would like to make comeback with team

No, this is not an early April Fool's joke. If they bring this sore-armed bastard back, and he makes the roster when they head north, I am done with them.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/F5EED3AA656372E086257560000B88A7?OpenDocument
LMAO!! I believe I'd be done with them also.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: dacskc on February 21, 2009, 05:18:51 pm
If you get DirecTv channel 639 (SNY...a Mets network), set your Tivo for noon  Fri the 27th. Cards vs Mets.
tivo set!
ched come back pls

dacskc

MARLINS 5, CARDINALS 5
at Jupiter, Fla.
Wednesday, Feb. 25
Marlins at the plate: Hanley Ramirez cranked a two-run homer that briefly put Florida ahead, and also drew a walk. Jay Gibbons picked up an RBI single off the bench, and Brett Carroll hit a two-run single that tied the game in a three-run eighth.

Cardinals at the plate: National League Most Valuable Player Albert Pujols reached base three times, drawing two walks and stroking a single. Rick Ankiel singled, doubled to deep center and drove in two runs. Skip Schumaker singled twice, stole a base and scored two runs.

Marlins on the mound: Anibal Sanchez had shaky control but minimized the damage in his two-inning start. Sanchez allowed three hits and three walks, but only one unearned run. Aaron Thompson, Brett Sinkbeil and Tim Wood each turned in a shutout inning, while Chris Leroux scuffled in a two-run, two-walk inning.

Cardinals on the mound: Starter Blake Hawksworth bounced back from a shaky beginning to turn in a very nice effort. Hawksworth went 2 2/3 shutout innings, allowing three hits and a walk and striking out two. Royce Ring impressed in his St. Louis debut, retiring all four batters he faced and striking out two while going against the heart of the Florida order. Francisco Samuel allowed two runs and three walks in 1 2/3 innings.

Grapefruit League records: Marlins 0-0-1; Cardinals 0-0-1

Up next: Each team plays its first road game of the year on Thursday. Florida ventures north to Port St. Lucie to play the Mets at 1:05 p.m. ET, with phenom Chris Volstad toeing the rubber against Oliver Perez. The Cardinals head south for a 1:05 start, with Kyle Lohse pitching against Danys Baez.

(I'd like to know how Skip's "D" looked!)

clifflee4mvp

we left 14 runners on base (5 stranded by Rasmus)

only 3-17 with RISP
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

dacskc

Cards ST game vs Mets will be televised tomorrow at noon on SNY (Directv 639). There's a decent chance of seeing JT...he's only pitched once and that was several days ago...his turn has to be rolling around soon!

dacskc

Sign of the apocalypse: Chris Duncan went 4/4 today ( and caught a fly ball!!!!!!!)

dacskc

JT looked pretty good in one inning of work. He got the 1st two batters in the inning out on ground balls. The 3rd man up doubled down the left line just out of the 3rd baseman's reach.  Then he allowed a (bogus) walk. He had Ryan Church 2-2 and threw 2 straight pitches right at the knees that the ump just stood there and gawked at.(my official first time yelling at the tv this season) Next, Marlon Anderson hit a fly ball to left that Rasmus decided to take, instead of letting Stavinhoa have it.(reminded me of Bad News Bears CF) But at the last minute they both stopped and watched it drop. So an unearned run scored. The next guy flew out to center. (Cards 15-Mets 4)

Once again this preseason, Rasmus fails to impress. I've also seen him misplay a ball in right, and strike out about a dozen times in the 2 ST games I've watched. I hope he's a later in the season guy, so far I'd take John Jay over him. I was also hoping to give a Schu at 2nd report, but he dnp.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dacskc on March 04, 2009, 08:27:48 am
JT looked pretty good in one inning of work. He got the 1st two batters in the inning out on ground balls. The 3rd man up doubled down the left line just out of the 3rd baseman's reach.  Then he allowed a (bogus) walk. He had Ryan Church 2-2 and threw 2 straight pitches right at the knees that the ump just stood there and gawked at.(my official first time yelling at the tv this season) Next, Marlon Anderson hit a fly ball to left that Rasmus decided to take, instead of letting Stavinhoa have it.(reminded me of Bad News Bears CF) But at the last minute they both stopped and watched it drop. So an unearned run scored. The next guy flew out to center. (Cards 15-Mets 4)

Once again this preseason, Rasmus fails to impress. I've also seen him misplay a ball in right, and strike out about a dozen times in the 2 ST games I've watched. I hope he's a later in the season guy, so far I'd take John Jay over him. I was also hoping to give a Schu at 2nd report, but he dnp.
Thanks for that dacskc.  Sounds like Todd was getting some pretty crappy defense played behind him.  Let's hope Rasmus can step it up and live up to his expectations.

dacskc

Cards sent 15 down today(including both Freese and Wallace). JT survived the cut. They are off today...relief appearance tomorrow perhaps??(it's been about a week)

dacskc

Cards all over TV next week (starting Sun 15th) : MLB channel (213 on directv) All games at noon.

Sun vs  Phils
Mon vs Tigers
Wed vs O's
Fri    vs Rays

dhornjr1

Quote from: dacskc on March 09, 2009, 10:55:33 am

Cards sent 15 down today(including both Freese and Wallace). JT survived the cut. They are off today...relief appearance tomorrow perhaps??(it's been about a week)

I thought Freese or Wallace might head north with the team but Don Tony has fallen in love with Joe Mather at third.

I like Mather so I hope it works out.     

dacskc

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 10, 2009, 01:39:53 am
I thought Freese or Wallace might head north with the team but Don Tony has fallen in love with Joe Mather at third.

I like Mather so I hope it works out.    

If Glaus' recovery hits any bumps, I think Freese may be back. I get the impression that Freese would've been the guy had it not been for the car accident. He should be totally well in a relatively short period. I liked Mather too, from what little I saw last year...although I don't know a lot about him at 3rd. I wonder how long the IF experiment will last...Schu and Mather?, hopefully they learn quickly. (I understand Schu almost got Albert killed...bad throw that drew him off the bag into the path of the runner...killing Albert will get you benched lol!!)

ACDCHogs

Ryan Franklin says he believes Rasmus will make the team.
I live on the rock n' roll train.

dacskc

Quote from: ACDCHogs on March 10, 2009, 09:57:31 am
Ryan Franklin says he believes Rasmus will make the team.

I wonder if that's based on hype or actual performance? The actual preseason stats (and shaky D) haven't really been that great. Of course I've only managed to see ST 2 games...and by reputation, he's a guy that gets better a little later in the season(if healthy). I hope he lives up to expectations.

dacskc

Todd went 2 in relief today giving up 1 hit, no walks, no runs, w/2 SO, Cards beat Tigers 5-2.

HoundHog

Carpenter pitched 4 innings today against Boston, allowing 0 runs. (keep your fingers crossed) Wow, Duncan and Mather are red hot! The only thing that bothers me about this team is Shumacher playing 2nd base. I hope I'm wrong but that will hurt this team defensively.

dhornjr1

Quote from: HoundHog on March 13, 2009, 12:17:25 am
Carpenter pitched 4 innings today against Boston, allowing 0 runs. (keep your fingers crossed) Wow, Duncan and Mather are red hot! The only thing that bothers me about this team is Shumacher playing 2nd base. I hope I'm wrong but that will hurt this team defensively.

For some reason, I think Schumacher might be alright at second defensively.

No proof to back that up, just a hunch.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dhornjr1 on March 13, 2009, 12:48:36 am
For some reason, I think Schumacher might be alright at second defensively.

No proof to back that up, just a hunch.
I feel okay about it too.  I wouldn't call it a hunch on my part though.  More like a hope.  :)

HoundHog

I had hope also until I read where he was having trouble fielding "routine" ground balls. That's not good. I hope he can improve and play 2nd because of his bat.

dacskc

Quote from: HoundHog on March 13, 2009, 11:07:02 am
I had hope also until I read where he was having trouble fielding "routine" ground balls. That's not good. I hope he can improve and play 2nd because of his bat.

I think they should put Schu back in right and and trade CR for a GOOD second baseman.

HoundHog

Quote from: dacskc on March 13, 2009, 02:12:03 pm

I think they should put Schu back in right and and trade CR for a GOOD second baseman.
Sounds good to me! It's a shame that Kennedy couldn't hit because I liked his defense.

dacskc

Quote from: HoundHog on March 14, 2009, 12:00:34 am
Sounds good to me! It's a shame that Kennedy couldn't hit because I liked his defense.

I wish they hadn't dumped Miles, either.
Grudzielanek was available a couple of weeks ago(don't know if that's still the case)...I know he's like 37 or 38...but pick him up and come out with a better plan next winter!!

Schumaker needs to stay in the lineup, I think they need to call it a day on the experiment, and put him back in the OF. I know all the Rasmus lovers who've been calling for him since day one, won't be happy to see him back in Memphis, but it boils down to the proven commodity vs the unproven commodity...Schu wins. And...if anything...we know that the PTB don't really seem to care about appeasing the fan base, so this really seems like a no-brainer.

dacskc

JT had his first difficulties today, he pitched a clean 8th, and came back in for the ninth in a tie game. Miguel Cairo led off with an infield single...a high chopper over Jess' head that Ryan had to charge...the throw was too late. The next batter doubled into the left center gap. Jess takes the L.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

did i read somewhere a month or so ago we signed dennys (sp) reyes?
ched come back pls

neahogfan

Yes, the Cards signed Reyes to a 2yr deal a couple of weeks ago.