Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does the SEC fire coaches too quickly?

Started by Michael_E_Davis, October 29, 2017, 05:00:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

With the news that McElwain is all but gone,  after being at Florida three years,  and taking the gators to the East Title two out of three of those years it got me wondering if SEC coaches are giving impossible expectations. It's been rumored that Gus Malzahn might be fired,  and he has done very well at Auburn,  including taking them to a National Championship and the sugar bowl two out of the three years he has been there. They also fired Gene Chizik after year 4, when he had previously went bowling every year,  including winning the National Championship.  Les Miles was fired - who did excellent at LSU:  In his 12 years there,  he went bowling every year,  including Two BCS Championships (Winning one of them)  and a sugar bowl, two cotton bowls.  Out of the 12 bowls,  he won 8 of them.

Mark Richt went bowling 14 times out of his 15 years at Georgia,  including two sugar bowls.   Of course, him and Les were coaches a while, but they still were great coaches that did excellent and were fired. Mark Richt is now doing well at Miami.   Now, it seems like coaches are expected to start winning championships in year three,  and every year after that, or they are on the hot seat.   Kevin Sumlin is another one.  I have heard he might be fired.  He has went bowling every year - including a cotton bowl.  I know he hasn't done spectacular - but fired, really?

It just seems to me that the expectations and pressure on coaches in the SEC are ridiculous.  If I were a coach, I am not sure I would even want to come to the SEC at this point.

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

DeltaBoy

Nick's Success at Bama made everyone uptight!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dark Helmet Hog

With big money comes big expectations. Coaches know what they're getting into. However, with pay everywhere going up, some may choose not to participate at some of the crazier schools. We'll see I guess.

sickboy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 29, 2017, 05:09:44 pm
Nick's Success at Bama made everyone uptight!

This is the bottom line. It's the Cold War thing. If your opponent has a massive army with nukes at their disposal... you gotta keep pace or risk being annihilated. Saban's presence makes everyone trigger happy.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

grayhawg

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on October 29, 2017, 05:15:23 pm
Arkansas doesn't.....
No we keep them to long, waiting to long to fire Jon Pelphry was a big part in fans losing interest in Razorback Basketball and most fans have not come back.

Hoggie17

We have had ours for going on 5 years and he has a losing record, so no.

Qui Gon Jinn

I would say that I am surprised that Fl was the first team to fire their coach.  I thought Butch Jones would be the first to go and CBB would be a close 2nd at the end of the season.  Now I'm sure TN will let CBJ go within the next two weeks.  I'm a TN Alum and all my Vol friends are in full meltdown mode.  Most are saying their biggest concern is that they can't afford a big buyout and a competitive salary for a new coach.  Many think we are in a much better place financially.  Not sure I agree.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

swineology

Some schools have a quick trigger, not us.
We'll still have CBB this time next year and he'll still have a losing SEC record.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: swineology on October 29, 2017, 05:31:47 pm
We'll still have CBB this time next year and he'll still have a losing SEC record.

I would not bet the farm 🚜 on that.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: swineology on October 29, 2017, 05:31:47 pm

Since he's more than 8 games under .500, that's not going out on a limb.

3Scoreand10

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 29, 2017, 05:00:22 pm
With the news that McElwain is all but gone,  after being at Florida three years,  and taking the gators to the East Title two out of three of those years it got me wondering if SEC coaches are giving impossible expectations. It's been rumored that Gus Malzahn might be fired,  and he has done very well at Auburn,  including taking them to a National Championship and the sugar bowl two out of the three years he has been there. They also fired Gene Chizik after year 4, when he had previously went bowling every year,  including winning the National Championship.  Les Miles was fired - who did excellent at LSU:  In his 12 years there,  he went bowling every year,  including Two BCS Championships (Winning one of them)  and a sugar bowl, two cotton bowls.  Out of the 12 bowls,  he won 8 of them.

Mark Richt went bowling 14 times out of his 15 years at Georgia,  including two sugar bowls.   Of course, him and Les were coaches a while, but they still were great coaches that did excellent and were fired. Mark Richt is now doing well at Miami.   Now, it seems like coaches are expected to start winning championships in year three,  and every year after that, or they are on the hot seat.   Kevin Sumlin is another one.  I have heard he might be fired.  He has went bowling every year - including a cotton bowl.  I know he hasn't done spectacular - but fired, really?

It just seems to me that the expectations and pressure on coaches in the SEC are ridiculous.  If I were a coach, I am not sure I would even want to come to the SEC at this point.

As long as these school offer ungodly amounts of money, there will be a long line of applicants.
Sign a contract and become an instant multi-millionaire.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on October 29, 2017, 05:15:23 pm
Arkansas doesn't.....

The fix is easy: Put a restriction i the next coach's contract to deduct $1M each time he says he's turning the corner.

Bret Bielema and "turning the corner" 110,000 references as of 10/29/2017.

ballz2thewall

our chancellor, steinmetz, who spent time at ohio state has commented, "at ohio state you got 2 years. it's been FIVE."
The rest of the frog.

Tusks

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 29, 2017, 05:41:24 pm
our chancellor, steinmetz, who spent time at ohio state has commented, "at ohio state you got 2 years. it's been FIVE."

God I hope that is an accurate quote.  That for the first time gives me hope for the future.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The Hawg Marshal

No, and some don't fire them quick enough.

EastexHawg

Most SEC programs care more about winning than offering on the job training programs for employees they are paying a few million dollars per year.

jkstock04

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 29, 2017, 05:00:22 pm

No. Look how much they get paid...other than maybe Arkansas and Vandy, winning football games is of utmost importance. They know what they are signing up for.

Those schools you are referencing? They want to win and are serious about it. Cant win enough games? Cant win a championship? We don't want you and will pay someone else to give it a try. That's the attitude of the SEC.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

swineology

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 29, 2017, 05:34:24 pm
I would not bet the farm 🚜 on that.

I have the farm and Grandpa's farm that Jeff and Bret will still be here in Oct. 2018

As bad as you want Jeff gone, he ain't leaving nor is Bret. This has been a 6 year program from the start.

jkstock04

Quote from: swineology on October 29, 2017, 06:49:40 pm
I have the farm and Grandpa's farm that Jeff and Bret will still be here in Oct. 2018

As bad as you want Jeff gone, he ain't leaving nor is Bret. This has been a 6 year program from the start.
This won't surprise me one bit. Two or three weeks ago this was THE word. I don't think most people understand our current culture and how we are the exact opposite of a Florida or Alabama in terms of what is important to the people that make decisions. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 29, 2017, 06:55:28 pm
This won't surprise me one bit. Two or three weeks ago this was THE word. I don't think most people understand our current culture and how we are the exact opposite of a Florida or Alabama in terms of what is important to the people that make decisions. 

Then we might as well move to the Sun Belt Conference.

When you are in a cutthroat conference, a 6 year plan of mediocrity is not feasible.

farmhawg

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 29, 2017, 05:41:24 pm
Maybe he needs to go first.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

swineology

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 29, 2017, 06:55:28 pm

As bad as I hate it, it is true.

Coaching pool doesn't favor us

East Clintwood

People need to quit using bowl games as a measure on a teams or coaches success.

Half of all D1 teams go to a bowl game.  Half.

Going to a bowl might be nice for the players but it's certainly not indicative of a teams success. 

It just means they were mediocre or above.  At a decent football program, going to a bowl game every year should be automatic.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jkstock04

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 29, 2017, 07:38:19 pm
People need to quit using bowl games as a measure on a teams or coaches success.

Half of all D1 teams go to a bowl game.  Half.

Going to a bowl might be nice for the players but it's certainly not indicative of a teams success. 

It just means they were mediocre or above.  At a decent football program, going to a bowl game every year should be automatic.
I'm pretty sure it's more than half.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawginj

Quote from: swineology on October 29, 2017, 07:21:49 pm

As bad as I hate it, it is true.

Coaching pool doesn't favor us
Why doesn't it? It favors us the same as it does any other P5 school. Or is it the poor little Arkiesaw card? 

East Clintwood

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 29, 2017, 07:40:11 pm
I'm pretty sure it's more than half.

You're right.

I had it mind that the number of bowl teams was around 67-68 out of 130 FBS teams.  After looking it up, last year there were 41 bowls, 82 teams, so almost 2/3rds of teams go bowling.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hog911

Quote from: swineology on October 29, 2017, 06:49:40 pm

. I hate it, but I know you are correct. After all the yelling and screaming we will have the same AD and coach next year. If you want change STOP donating and buying tickets! Changes only occur when it's absolutely obvious fans are not supporting a loser program anymore!