Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boo Hoo! A team with four first rounders got hot against us

Started by HawgTrough, February 21, 2018, 08:31:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

Quote from: porkinsons disease on February 21, 2018, 11:29:16 am
Crickets........any questions about the style or "system" ends up with name calling (crybabies,haters,etc). When there are no answers for Mike's failures or shortcomings, the personal attacks go out.
I hear you. I like Hogville. I guess I am addicted somewhat, but I wish we had more discussion regarding actual basketball strategy.
Instead of: hater, go kick rocks, keep watching, why aren't you the coach, wining and crying, you don't know basketball, etc.

hogsanity

Quote from: elksnort on February 21, 2018, 11:32:22 am
I hear you. I like Hogville. I guess I am addicted somewhat, but I wish we had more discussion regarding actual basketball strategy.
Instead of: hater, go kick rocks, keep watching, why aren't you the coach, wining and crying, you don't know basketball, etc.

Because they have no defense of him from a basketball standpoint.

One of the attacks lately to anyone who criticizes Mike is " you must not watch much college basketball ". I watch plenty of it. I watch teams that change defense regularly. I watch teams that jump into a press for 3 or 4 possessions, then fall back to a zone for 3 or 4, then maybe play man with a half court trap, etc. I watch teams that do not leave shooters open after they hit a couple of threes. I watch teams on offense run plays to get their big man the ball in a mismatch. I watch teams play inside out to get their good shooters open. I watch teams find the hot hand on offense a ride him.

I watch Mike do none of those things, in fact he usually does the opposite. Guy gets hot, too bad it is his turn to sit. Guy on the other team gets hot, keep leaving him open to trap 45ft from the basket. Team breaks the press 3 or 4 straight times for dunks/layups, keep doing it only with your subs in the game. Etc
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 11:13:57 am
Imo, it is mainly ego, but also lack of some ability. His ego will not allow him to go very long not using what he is known for, which is supposedly tough, pressure defense. It is almost like it is a personal insult or disparaging of him personally if his team has to play zone and not be scrambling/trapping and fouling 80 ft from the basket.

But I also think his lack of desire to coach a slower style of defense has limited his ability to do so when really needed.

No defense is effective playing slow. I think this lost was about personnel more than scheme. Kentucky killed us in the zone because they were so much bigger and we all know boxing out in zone is difficult. Playing pressure defense is good but you have to pick your spots to play that sort of defense.

Kentucky got into a nice rhythm and starting feeling confident and never looked back. Mike has to recruit some basketball players and not a roster full of projects. We have three good players on this team with no point guard at all. Beard is a undersized two guard, has always been that. Barford has completely changed his attacking style from last season. He has settled for that fade away too much. I remember when Barford was attacking the rim and getting to the free throw line. 

MountieDawg

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 21, 2018, 08:42:03 am
"four"
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-how-high-could-trae-young-be-drafted-no-1s-a-real-possibility/

Would you like to make a wager... You name the price I will take under 4 kentucky players going in the 1st round and you take 4 or more....I think I will give you 2 to 1 odds....  Jared Vanderbilt could stand on a canoe in the middle of the ocean and fail to shoot the ball in the ocean... Diallo cant defend, cant shoot and cant handle the ball...  Not sure Vanderbilt had played a game when that article was posted... but my offer stands.... I have watched every UK game and there are not 4 1st rounders.... Plus you list does not have a single international player listed.... Please don't read an article and think now I know everything. FAKE NEWS....
SEC!

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 21, 2018, 08:44:31 am
Aggressive, turnover seeking defense tends to yield open looks when the pressure fails. Watch a WVU game. It's a product of the system

Lol. This isn't a Nolan team that forced league leading turnover margins and steals. We do indeed pressure and take risks, but we do not accomplish the primary purpose of applying that pressure. Too many defensive liabilities on this team to justify the risks taken. It's comical to watch 3 or 4 of our guys leave their responsibility only to see that player make an uncontested 3 or a clear lane for a dunk. We don't have the players to run the defense we wish to incorporate.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

farfromgroovins

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 21, 2018, 05:13:13 pm
Lol. This isn't a Nolan team that forced league leading turnover margins and steals. We do indeed pressure and take risks, but we do not accomplish the primary purpose of applying that pressure. Too many defensive liabilities on this team to justify the risks taken. It's comical to watch 3 or 4 of our guys leave their responsibility only to see that player make an uncontested 3 or a clear lane for a dunk. We don't have the players to run the defense we wish to incorporate.

We also don't have the offensive weapons that could score in bunches even if there was a missed assignment on the defensive end.
Someone posted a video of a game of yesteryear with Day, Mayberry, Miller, Howell playing LSU. It was a high scoring game and even though LSU was about impossible to stop with Shaq and company, the Hogs were going to score more.
You can miss assignments or get burned on D time to time but you better have the offensive arsenal to respond.

steveaustin69

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 21, 2018, 08:35:22 am
If you think this years Kentucky team has four 1st rounders do you think KFC makes the best chicken???

hahahaha

texas tush hog

Quote from: Pinto on February 21, 2018, 08:55:43 am
Well i guess KFC does have the best chicken because Knox, Vanderbilt, Hami, and SGA are all first rounders. Richards is hovering around the 1st round as well.

He fixed that for you didn't he.

GoHogs1091

Other SEC teams this season have not had as much of a problem with Kentucky like what we did last night.

A by-product of last night's result is our continued non-solid, non-fundamentally sound basketball.

MikePiazza

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 21, 2018, 09:58:17 pm
Other SEC teams this season have not had as much of a problem with Kentucky like what we did last night.

A by-product of last night's result is our continued non-solid, non-fundamentally sound basketball.

Too bad we won't hire Rick Stansbury or Rick Ray. Two greatest coaches in SEC history.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: redleg on February 21, 2018, 09:46:33 am
I won't be surprised if the Hogs don't win another game.
What gives anyone reason to believe that this team can win on the road at Alabama and Mizzou, or beat an Auburn team in Fayetteville that's better than Kentucky this year? Or even win a game in the SEC Tourney?
Hunter Yurachek is not Anderson's homeboy. Yurachek should tell Mike, "Do this, or you're gone", and he probably will.
This big question is...who do we get to replace Anderson?

LMAO.

Mike isn't getting fired. Not this year. Not next year.

IS.NOT.HAPPENING. But you know this.

PRJ

HossHog

Quote from: redleg on February 21, 2018, 09:46:33 am
I won't be surprised if the Hogs don't win another game.
What gives anyone reason to believe that this team can win on the road at Alabama and Mizzou, or beat an Auburn team in Fayetteville that's better than Kentucky this year? Or even win a game in the SEC Tourney?
Hunter Yurachek is not Anderson's homeboy. Yurachek should tell Mike, "Do this, or you're gone", and he probably will.
This big question is...who do we get to replace Anderson?
There are plenty of coaches we could get if the situation arises, fortunately that is why Yurachek is getting paid the big bucks.

MikePiazza

Quote from: HossHog on February 21, 2018, 11:27:55 pm
There are plenty of coaches we could get if the situation arises, fortunately that is why Yurachek is getting paid the big bucks.

Name them.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 11:32:30 pm
Name them.

Kermit Davis, Chris Beard, Gregg Marshall, Bill Self, one of the Sutton boy's....Jimmy Dykes, John Brady, Corliss, Todd Day....there is one more I am missing that they pine for......oh yeah......

Looks like Billy Donavon is about to get rant off from OKC....fire Mike now and hire Billy damnit......

They know Mike isn't going anywhere...they will continue to tell us how we have beaten no one of significance in 7 years....

Mike needs to fire some assistants. I would like to see him make a couple of adjustments but this crazy talk of firing him is asnine.

Auburn got beat by Berry college in November. BERRY COLLEGE.

These folks would have stroked out if we lost to a Berry College.

PRJ

checkraiser88

I agree, hope we get another crack at them in the tournament

HossHog

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 11:32:30 pm
Name them.
Dan Hurley, Eric Musselman, Ben Jacobson, Mick Cronin (obviously wouldn't leave unless he wanted to get into a bigger conference), Kelvin Sampson (getting old might be another CMA situation), Bobby Hurley (small sample size), Buzz Williams (maybe). Should I keep going?

HossHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on February 21, 2018, 11:49:09 pm
Kermit Davis, Chris Beard, Gregg Marshall, Bill Self, one of the Sutton boy's....Jimmy Dykes, John Brady, Corliss, Todd Day....there is one more I am missing that they pine for......oh yeah......

Looks like Billy Donavon is about to get rant off from OKC....fire Mike now and hire Billy damnit......

They know Mike isn't going anywhere...they will continue to tell us how we have beaten no one of significance in 7 years....

Mike needs to fire some assistants. I would like to see him make a couple of adjustments but this crazy talk of firing him is asnine.

Auburn got beat by Berry college in November. BERRY COLLEGE.

These folks would have stroked out if we lost to a Berry College.

PRJ
I never mentioned during Mike, but the "who would we hire" bothers me. I don't think Mike is going anywhere but there are options if we did get rid of him.

MikePiazza

Quote from: HossHog on February 22, 2018, 01:06:32 am
I never mentioned during Mike, but the "who would we hire" bothers me. I don't think Mike is going anywhere but there are options if we did get rid of him.

They're options to you. There's nothing to suggest they'd do anything but laugh if Arkansas picked up the phone and called them.

Dillon23

After reading this thread, it reaffirms my thoughts about Mike.  It seams that the main problem people have with him is his inability to see the glaring problems (not guarding the 3, bad substitution patterns, trapping when it doesn't work, etc.) that we all see.  After listening to Cal after the game say that he told his team "they are going to let you shoot" that only makes it worse in my mind.  Opposing coaches know MA's game plan and they scheme against it and we fail to adjust.  Bruce Pearl switched to zone against Alabama last night because he said that his bench was limited and Alabama has great one on one players that are hard to guard in man defense.  They then go out and smoke Bama with only 7 players. Do you think Mike will play zone Saturday after Bruce has shown us the way? I doubt it.  I just hate to see us keep making excuses for why we can't be great again.  We should be a top 10 program.  How many schools can pack a 19,000 seat arena every night? We have top 10 facilities and fan support and recruiting in basketball is not the same as football.  We are actually in a great area for basketball recruits.  Quit making excuses.  I guarantee that nobody would have signed up for 7 years of this when we hired Mike.  It shouldn't take that long. Rant over.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dillon23 on February 22, 2018, 08:54:14 am
I guarantee that nobody would have signed up for 7 years of this when we hired Mike.

There are many that would have signed Mike for life, and it has nothing to do with on court results.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2018, 08:59:23 am
There are many that would have signed Mike for life, and it has nothing to do with on court results.

What does it have to do with then?

You haven't wanted Mike from day one. I figured you out on day one. But yet, here we are playing the game.

I am going to make this easy for you, let you know what is going to happen, and then you can get back to your wailing and hand wringing and tooth knashing...

Mike isn't getting fired. Not today, not after the SEC tourney, not in March or in April. And he isn't getting fired next year either.

You aren't stupid. I mean you are an official, so you are blind but you aren't stupid and you know Mike isn't getting fired. So you tell the rest of Hogville why you hate Mike so much...I know but you tell them.

PRJ

Dillon23

Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2018, 08:59:23 am

True.   I'm also guessing that if you could go back in time, Mike would not have said that after 7 years that he would be .500 in the league and on the NCAA bubble.   

Little Lady Back

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on February 22, 2018, 09:07:30 am
What does it have to do with then?

You haven't wanted Mike from day one. I figured you out on day one. But yet, here we are playing the game.

I am going to make this easy for you, let you know what is going to happen, and then you can get back to your wailing and hand wringing and tooth knashing...

Mike isn't getting fired. Not today, not after the SEC tourney, not in March or in April. And he isn't getting fired next year either.

You aren't stupid. I mean you are an official, so you are blind but you aren't stupid and you know Mike isn't getting fired. So you tell the rest of Hogville why you hate Mike so much...I know but you tell them.

PRJ

#NolanRichardsonCourt

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on February 22, 2018, 09:07:30 am

Not news. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on February 21, 2018, 11:49:09 pm

Which assistants and why?

Already made one move with Scotty and Zimmerman. 

Is this like the Nutt era and changing the OC to create a scapegoat? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 22, 2018, 09:34:44 am
Not news.
Exactly.

We all know CMA isn't getting fired.

But any other coach would have been two years ago...
All Gas, No Brakes!

HawgTrough

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 21, 2018, 04:18:43 pm
Would you like to make a wager... You name the price I will take under 4 kentucky players going in the 1st round and you take 4 or more....I think I will give you 2 to 1 odds....  Jared Vanderbilt could stand on a canoe in the middle of the ocean and fail to shoot the ball in the ocean... Diallo cant defend, cant shoot and cant handle the ball...  Not sure Vanderbilt had played a game when that article was posted... but my offer stands.... I have watched every UK game and there are not 4 1st rounders.... Plus you list does not have a single international player listed.... Please don't read an article and think now I know everything. FAKE NEWS....

this one only has 3

https://www.si.com/nba/nba-mock-draft-2018
WPS

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 22, 2018, 09:36:50 am

Watkins and Cleveland.

They don't serve Mike in the capacity he needs. They hold zero players accountable.

During the Nolan years, Mike was the good cop to Nolan's warden. I have seen Nolan in practice, take a basketball and from a 100 feet, knock a basketball off their skull. And then run them straight out of the gym. Nolan didn't suffer fools and he gave zero fricks. In games, when Nolan yanked someone out of the game and gave that death stare all the way to the end of the bench, shortly Mike was down there, patting on his knee, being the good cop.

This all doesn't mean Mike is a bad coach, he just needs a bad cop on his staff...not yes men.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 22, 2018, 09:46:29 am
Exactly.

We all know CMA isn't getting fired.

But any other coach would have been two years ago...

Any other coach? Why did your hero stick around a couple of years late?

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

WMHawgfan

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 21, 2018, 08:31:42 am
All of the sudden we suck again and are gonna lose out. Crybabies.
I wouldn't say they got hot. you tend to shoot a higher percentage when you are getting high percentage shots like oops and tip ins. After we jumped out, JC got in faces and told them to get it in the lane and they did, either by dribble penetration or getting their bigger guards iso'd on our smaller guards on cuts through the lane and post ups. it was a clinic on how to beat us not just a team getting hot.

HawgTrough

Quote from: WMHawgfan on February 22, 2018, 11:02:39 am
I wouldn't say they got hot. you tend to shoot a higher percentage when you are getting high percentage shots like oops and tip ins. After we jumped out, JC got in faces and told them to get it in the lane and they did, either by dribble penetration or getting their bigger guards iso'd on our smaller guards on cuts through the lane and post ups. it was a clinic on how to beat us not just a team getting hot.

I agree. They put themselves in good position and were able to finish.
WPS

majp51

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 21, 2018, 11:13:57 pm
Too bad we won't hire Rick Stansbury or Rick Ray. Two greatest coaches in SEC history.

Is this some inside joke? Stansbury is arguably CMA with a little better regular season luck.

Rick Ray on the other hand makes CMA look like John Wooden. He may even make Pelphrey look like John Wooden.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: majp51 on February 22, 2018, 11:31:39 am
Is this some inside joke? Stansbury is arguably CMA with a little better regular season luck.

Rick Ray on the other hand makes CMA look like John Wooden. He may even make Pelphrey look like John Wooden.

It is a joke. Was meant as a joke.

PRJ

majp51

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 22, 2018, 09:36:50 am

Yeah but that move actually wasn't much of a move. I mean Scotty is a historically great Arkansas Player, but his entire coaching experience was zilch. It was another nepotistic hire from the Nolan Tree.

HawgTrough

I know Saturday's road win was upsetting to some. I'm not gonna name any names, but you know who you are. Anyway, it was just one win and don't let it ruin the start of your week. Maybe ARK will lose at home and you can commence to seethe.
WPS