Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Auburn beats Bama, Gus can't come

Started by Rudy Baylor, November 18, 2017, 03:02:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 19, 2017, 06:50:35 pm
So, we'll pay $6.5 million for a coach that bailed due to high expectations? Let that sink in. How can we expect more that the 8 games he's won per season when he won't have top 10 recruiting classes @ Arkansas?  His 2 successful Qb's he didn't develop, and he won't have those transfers here. It's a lose-lose situation. We'll pay more and expect less, and that NEVER works out.

He wants to come back to his home state and get out of that coaches hell hole. Not hard to understand.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: ur on November 19, 2017, 07:13:02 pm
buyout is $6.4 mill.  Some say it's 9 mill but they are going off what a sports reporter said and not reading the contract. Still too high for us.
Appreciate it, I guess I'd say he's my absolute top pick and perhaps the 6.4 is worth it. Campbell seems transcendent as a coach, he has a way of winning in spite of talent.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hobhog on November 19, 2017, 08:50:53 pm
He wants to come back to his home state and get out of that coaches hell hole. Not hard to understand.
No, it's not really hard to understand on Gus' part. He doesn't feel like he should be needing must wins, and we're likely his dream job.

However, I'm not sure why we want him so badly? He went to the title game his first year, but that included a lifetime of lucky breaks, and then had 3 pedestrian years we'd all be pissed about. He's been better this year, but I'm not sure that is the norm as much as things falling together. I'll keep an open mind on him if hired, but I just don't see it going well. It takes a really special, CBP type coach to win big here, and Gus isn't it.
One thing I like about seeing Leach, Norvell, Gus is that we'll have an offensive model more modern than the usual 1960 version.

East Clintwood

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on November 20, 2017, 12:20:54 am
.  .  .   
One thing I like about seeing Leach, Norvell, Gus is that we'll have an offensive model more modern than the usual 1960 version.

Gus's offense isn't modern.  It's from the 1930's.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma