Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Razorback football team is not

Started by Piggfoot, September 17, 2017, 04:27:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 18, 2017, 04:43:04 pm
With Hatfield it wasn't always only the offensive style.

Yeah, it pretty much was.  There was the Texas last second loss, the Miami blowout, and the two Cotton Bowl losses.  Texas and UCLA were the ones where he most got the bad offense rap.  Arkansas was running all over Tennessee before Grovey threw a pick six on Tennessee's goal line that flipped the game.  That team had James Rouse and Barry Foster and one of Arkansas's best offenses ever.  Rouse was a senior and Foster left early for the draft at a time when that was unusual.  Crowe at OC had everything rocking.  Grovey returned, and that's the only reason Broyles pulled him off the plane to Clemson.  Bad idea.  Mike Irwin said recently Broyles was one of the most impulsive people he's ever known. That was one of his most impulsive moments, as was insisting that Hatfield make changes in his staff after a 10-2 season.  That's the reason Hatfield left.  Like him or not, Hatfield is a guy full of stubborn integrity.

And it wasn't because he had a penchant for quoting bible verses on his television show.  That isn't my style and may have offended you, but Razorbacks fans as a whole could not have cared less.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Piggfoot

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 19, 2017, 09:00:15 am
Yeah, it pretty much was.  There was the Texas last second loss, the Miami blowout, and the two Cotton Bowl losses.  Texas and UCLA were the ones where he most got the bad offense rap.  Arkansas was running all over Tennessee before Grovey threw a pick six on Tennessee's goal line that flipped the game.  That team had James Rouse and Barry Foster and one of Arkansas's best offenses ever.  Rouse was a senior and Foster left early for the draft at a time when that was unusual.  Crowe at OC had everything rocking.  Grovey returned, and that's the only reason Broyles pulled him off the plane to Clemson.  Bad idea.  Mike Irwin said recently Broyles was one of the most impulsive people he's ever known. That was one of his most impulsive moments, as was insisting that Hatfield make changes in his staff after a 10-2 season.  That's the reason Hatfield left.  Like him or not, Hatfield is a guy full of stubborn integrity.

And it wasn't because he had a penchant for quoting bible verses on his television show.  That isn't my style and may have offended you, but Razorbacks fans as a whole could not have cared less.
Coach Hatfield was a Bible Thumper. At a fund raising golf tournament. Coach Hatfield sent one of his minions around telling participants that he did not like drinking beer and smoking cigars. It did not sit well with the golfers.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 19, 2017, 09:08:00 am
Coach Hatfield was a Bible Thumper. At a fund raising golf tournament. Coach Hatfield sent one of his minions around telling participants that he did not like drinking beer and smoking cigars. It did not sit well with the golfers.

Would certainly not have set well with me!
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 19, 2017, 10:00:40 am
Would certainly not have set well with me!
I would have said, "that's fine with me. Just group Kenny in another foursome because I'm smoking a cigar whether he likes it or not."
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Piggfoot

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 19, 2017, 10:17:29 am
I would have said, "that's fine with me. Just group Kenny in another foursome because I'm smoking a cigar whether he likes it or not."
Well of course people drank Beer and smoked their cigars but the arrogance of sending someone around to tell people not to drink beer or smoke didn't set well and showed a side of him that people didn't like.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 17, 2017, 04:32:11 pm
All the more reason to keep an elite coach if we were able to luck up and get one.

There are limits. I am never willing to keep one unconditionally.