Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Selling in this Rally?

Started by HawgWild, December 07, 2016, 04:21:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

RF is up 48% in 2 months. Saw a recommendation today for selling it. Seems like it should have another leg up if/when interest rate increase is announced. Thoughts?

ricepig

Two thought, the trend is your friend, and buy the rumor, sell the fact. I know, two different schools of thought, but both almost always run true. I haven't added much in this rally, but I'm not selling either. Of course, I don't jump in or out very much either. I've got a few stocks that I'm "trading" for lack of a better term, that have moved up appreciably the last month, I've either raised my sell stops, or bought some puts.

BigBrandonAllenFan

I'm sitting tight in Fed Cash Reserve until after Christmas, and may not buy until after the inauguration.  I sold everything I owned last Monday.

I'm a jump in and jump out as quickly as possible with profit kind of player though.  Like RP has said, go with what works for you.

HawgWild

Similar to rp, I tend to buy and hold. I still have shares I acquired in the 1980s & 90s. I had some unexpected cash in one of my Scottrade accounts when Nokia bought out ALU. I wanted another financial stock, other than BAC, and RF was at a good price.  I don't recall ever taking STCGs on any equity I've owned.

McKdaddy

I trimmed a bit of my small-caps this week, but that's it.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HawgWild

I'm thinking about pulling some money out of the market. Anyone else? I'm pretty overweight stocks & mutual funds to cash (90/10) right now. Maybe re-balancing is not a bad thing

Vantage 8 dude

Remember that old adage that there are always stocks to buy and sell in any market environment. Obviously the FANG stocks have done incredibly well over the past several years. No doubt the business models of Amazon, Google, Apple and Facebook appear to be very sustainable over the coming years; with that in mind OVER THE LONG RUN these positions will very likely continue gaining. However, remember that nothing goes straight up for ever (even NK's missiles) and there will come a time when there will be noticeable corrections. With that in mind, some might want to be a little more conservative and take some "money off the table" by cashing in some of their "chips". One approach I've always tried to take is to sell enough of a position to get my original investment back (assuming the stock has risen sufficiently to do so). In that way I can use those monies to look elsewhere. I've also essentially moved my cost basis to zero; I'm then using the "market's money" for my remaining holding(s). However, even if your holding(s) hasn't risen enough to be able to do this, selling and cashing a gain of say 15% or 20% isn't the worse that can happen. Keep in mind the observation: "Bears make money, bulls make money, but pigs (no disrespect to all us Hog fans) go to the slaughter house".

One further bit of wisdom I've learned over the years: Most folks obsess over their POSITIVE returns; and while that's understandable, the other side is that a ton of folks miss the point that it's the ability to limit/reduce your potential LOSSES that will save your hide more often than not. That means have a firm "stopping point" on the downside. If a stock's price reaches a specific loss limit (say 25%) under what you paid for it then you exit, you don't ask how or why. Consulting existing charts to show historical levels of movements in a stock's price are most invaluable in this respect.