Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

volatility hedge

Started by Karma, June 18, 2014, 05:36:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm thinking of trying to hedge my downside risk from being long the market by going long on volatility.  One idea is to buy an ETF such as VIXY, but has anyone else done this or have some better ideas on how to accomplish?

wilbur

I bought tvix one time and made 15% in one day.  I thought I was a genius.  I tried it again and lost 20% in three days.  It's gambling as far as I am concerned. 
Last year, Planned Parent was responsible for "terminating" the lives of 90,000 black babies.  How many black babies did the Confederate flag kill?

Ineptocracy:

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Quote from: wilbur on June 19, 2014, 02:16:11 pm
I bought tvix one time and made 15% in one day.  I thought I was a genius.  I tried it again and lost 20% in three days.  It's gambling as far as I am concerned. 
It probably is, though the ETF's are not properly correlated to the actual index.

wilbur

June 19, 2014, 05:26:58 pm #3 Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:54:02 am by wilbur
also don't ever keep it long term the way those things are structured is that they eventually go to 0% and you'll be left with nothing... I'm speaking into my phone while driving down the road so forgive the punctuation
Last year, Planned Parent was responsible for "terminating" the lives of 90,000 black babies.  How many black babies did the Confederate flag kill?

Ineptocracy:

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Quote from: wilbur on June 19, 2014, 05:26:58 pm
also don't ever keep it long term the way those things are structured is that they automatically go to 09 and you'll be left with nothing... I'm speaking into my phone while driving down the road so forgive the punctuation
Thanks.  I think I'm going to stay away.