Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013: Gold, Silver, Equities and Bonds

Started by HognotinMemphis, December 31, 2013, 01:15:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Gold ends 2013 down 29%.

Silver ends 2013 down 36%. Worst losses for gold and silver since at least 1984.

Regarding equities, the S&P 500 total return (dividends reinvested) is up 32% for 2013, just 2 hours before market closes for the year. This is just domestic equities of course. Many non-domestic equities have done this well or better, especially some European-based companies such as Philips, Seimens, Vivendi and Vodafone, all of which I own.

Regarding bonds/fixed income, the Barclays US Bond Aggregate index is down 1.92% for 2013, its first loss since 1999 and worst loss since 1994.

A nice understatement would be to say that it was not a good year to be invested in precious metals, either directly or through mining companies. While they have all lost 30% or more, the general stock market is up over 30%, a 60%+ swing. And if you are a conservative investor and think that bonds are always safer than stocks, then you suffered this year from not being invested in equities and never joined the party the past couple of years. As Buffett stated back in 2012, bonds should come with a warning label. In my opinion, it's still accurate today. At that same time, Buffett further quoted another successful investor by saying, "bonds promoted as producing risk-free return are now priced to offer return-free risk."
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Lanny

Actually, 2013 was a fantastic year for me in precious metals.  I bought all year and have continued in 2014.  Know when to buy and Know when to sell of course buying a coin shop helped too!
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

HognotinMemphis

January 10, 2014, 11:04:25 am #2 Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:11:01 am by HoginMemphis
Quote from: Lanny on January 10, 2014, 07:29:29 am
Actually, 2013 was a fantastic year for me in precious metals.  I bought all year and have continued in 2014.  Know when to buy and Know when to sell of course buying a coin shop helped too!
Buying into a declining market is usually a good thing for the long term. Just do not want to have a large position in it when it begins its 35% decline.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

pheine78

I have started to slowly move into bonds (I think the market will continue to roll for another year at least, but the end is coming soon).  It isn't the time to buy precious metals yet, maybe by the end of year.  I agree with Lanny to extent, but I am just not ready to buy metals yet...ask me again in a few months.  I think they will sink quite a bit more.
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

DeltaBoy

Since I just use Precious metals as a hedge it worked out fine for  me  in 2013.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.